PDA

View Full Version : New Website

Myhorse1_X
02-06-2002, 09:36 PM
I have completely overhauled by website. I would like to invite you all to come visit me there.

The site is www.myhorse1.com

http://www.myhorse1.com

Thanksl

MyHorse1

Dick Schmidt
02-07-2002, 03:18 AM
Myhorse,

Interesting site. Well thought out. May I offer just a couple of simple thoughts? The white lettering on that light green background is hard to read, the black type is too small to read comfortably. I'm not sure the casual visitor will take the time to go through both.

Good luck with your program. Looks like a serious effort.

Dick

Myhorse1_X
02-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Dick:

Thanks for the comments. I have enlarged the font size on both sections of the main page. I use PageMill and the background is set before all the serious work is done, so unless I want to do the page all over from start I will have to stick with the color I have. I chose that color because it is the color of my opening screen of my program.
The software is being rated by Phillips Newsletter and the rating will be in the Feb. newsletter. All they will tell me at this time is that "it is a good rating".

MyHorse1

GameTheory
02-07-2002, 11:34 AM
To change the background color, simply change this line in your HTML (its very close to the top):

<BODY BGCOLOR="#73b9b9">

That's the tag that starts the "Body" of page and also sets the background color. It can use a hex value, like above (#FFFFFF = white, #000000 = black), or you can use values like "white", "black", "navy", "grey", etc.

I'm sure there's also something like "Page Properties" in PageMill to change the background color and things like link color, probably with a color picker...

Myhorse1_X
02-07-2002, 01:38 PM
GameTheory:

Thanks for the help. It is nice to know that other message board members are willing to help another.

I appreciate it. I did change the HTML code in Wordpad and sure enough, I lightened it up!.

Thanks again.

MyHorse1

wally2001
02-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Do Phillips Racing Newsletter hav a homepage?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Myhorse1_X
02-07-2002, 05:11 PM
Wally:

No Phillips has no website. The only way to get it is to subscribe to the newsletter. It is a monthly newsletter with information about Handicapping methods, software, Greyhounds, and paper systems.

MyHorse1

wally2001
02-07-2002, 05:27 PM
So how do you get them to do a review of your software?
Is there an email address or something?
How many subscribers do they have?
How much does it cost?

Cheers
Simon

Dick Schmidt
02-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Myhorse,

Looks better, and more importantly, it is far easier to read. good luck with your program and PRN.

Wally,

The way you get anything, be it a program, a system or a book, reviewed by PRN is to send it to them. They encourage it. At one time Phillips was a power in the racing industry, but I feel their influence has diminished since the death of the founder. I believe it is run today by his son-in-law. At one time, many systems carried the boast "raited 8 by Phillips". Our book Pace Makes the Race earned a 9.5, their highest rating ever, and we put it on the cover. If I were to publish another book, I'm not sure I would bother to send PRN a copy. Their bread and butter has always been systems, and they give way to many high ratings to losing systems.

Dick

Myhorse1_X
02-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Dick Schmidt:

It does get your software or system in front of about 600 subscribers though!.

As always, the proof is in the system. I pondered about a money back guarantee, but I felt that I didn't want someone purchasing the program and when it didn't work badmouthing it on some message board. I would prefer they send it back and I return their money. (then they would badmouth it).
Like any software, you can lead the horseplayer to water, but due to their bad habits, can't make them drink from the fountain of discipline to make them winners.

For these persons, I will try to teach them the discipline they need and if they cannot do it, I will return their money.

I try to be fair with my users.

MyHorse1

PS. Dick doesn't know me, but I know him and he is one of the most disciplined player I have ever seen.Eric Langhar is another.

Jake
02-07-2002, 08:14 PM
Myhorse,

That's a very nice site and your program looks extremely well done. May be some viewers that might like to see the Phillips
review there.

Sure you'll get some of the regulars here checking your site out.

Lefty
02-07-2002, 09:25 PM
Russ Dietrich's son, Alan now runs PRN.

wally2001
02-08-2002, 02:34 AM
Does anyone have the address to end software or systems to PRN?

Cheers
Simon

Lefty
02-08-2002, 12:32 PM
PRN Adress: E.O. Phillips Co. Box 5817 Auburn, CA 95604-5817
They will farm out the software to someone else who knows about computers, software and handicapping.

wally2001
02-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Thank You

NoDayJob
02-08-2002, 10:06 PM
I think you'd do a lot better giving out a 60 day trial copy than going with Phillips R.N. -NDJ

Myhorse1_X
02-08-2002, 11:09 PM
NoDayJob:

I did that for about 1 year. It seemed I worked every weekend trying to get a bunch of dummies who couldn't download anything to get it up and running. When I did, they didn't use the program properly. Afterwards I had them answer a simple questionaire.
1. Whas the Program User Friendly?

2. Did the program give them the number of winners that they would expect?

3. Do you think the software was fairly priced.

The answers were, Yes, Yes, and too expensive. There are a group of people out there in the world that download anything for free and then complain about it. These people I don't want to have anything to do with. They are losers and always will be losers because they can't follow instructions and they don't want to put out the effort to learn the tools of Handicapping.

If someone purchases my program and tries it for 30 days and doesn't like the results they are getting, I give them their money back. But anyone that shoves out $330.00 for any time period at all is serious about learning the program. These people I want as my customers. Those who try. I will spend all kinds of time with someone that I feel really wants to learn. As a matter of fact, I enjoy developing someone's skills. Some time I would like to have a free seminar in Tulsa for those who use my program and would like to listen to me and I listen to them about the program.

MyHorse1

Myhorse1_X
02-08-2002, 11:12 PM
NDJ:

I will let you use it for 60 days for free!. Just send me $330.00, and at the end of the 60 days, I wil send you back your money, less the 10% restocking fee.

MyHorse1

Lefty
02-08-2002, 11:29 PM
Well, I was one of the dummies who couldn't get it up and running and i've downloaded tons of stuff successfully including the old Procapper that you wrote manuals for. After about 3 e-mails back and forth I never heard anymore from you so I never did get it up and running. I hope it's easier now. BTW, some of your Dynaform screens on website remind me of Procapper, a prgm that I wish wouldv'e stayed around.

GameTheory
02-09-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Myhorse1
NDJ:

I will let you use it for 60 days for free!. Just send me $330.00, and at the end of the 60 days, I wil send you back your money, less the 10% restocking fee.

I consider a "re-stocking" fee to be a red flag (I don't intend this to be a commentary on your program specifically). When I see that on anything -- I think, "Well, maybe they're selling a piece of crap they know everyone is going to return, but all they really want is the 30 bucks." Any since it's going to cost me 30 bucks to find out, and I don't like the idea of getting screwed "voluntarily", I stay away. I think if you're going to offer a money-back guarantee, then let the product speak for itself without putting nagging worries in the back of my mind. Will some people take advantage of you and be pains in your butt? Very possibly, but since you're the one that stands to gain, I think it should always be the seller bearing that burden, not the buyer. Why should I have to pay anything at all for a piece of garbage? It is as if you are saying to me, "I may or may not be robbing you outright -- to find out just give me your money."

If I'm going to buy something, I don't want all sorts of strings attached. Just sell me a good product with no BS, and if it I think it sucks, and want to send it back with a reasonable period (30 days), then just give me my money back no questions asked. I'll respect you for that even if I do think your product is crap.

Let me say once again that I haven't used MyHorse's program, and therefore have no comment about it. I'm just expressing the thought process that gets triggered whenever I see those kind of conditions on a product (any product) for sale. Because if I think that, then someone else probably does too, and he may not have thought of that...

turfspec
02-09-2002, 01:23 AM
According to Barry Meadows, PRN reviews are totally bogus. See his article in, I believe, the Nov. '96 issue of his monthly newsletter. You can read the first page of the article by visiting his website " www.trpublishing.com " clicking on the Monthly Newsletter and then the first sample copy.

Rob

charleslanger
02-09-2002, 01:50 AM
I totally second rob's opinion above. That's been a knock for years and years. Have they suddenly changed course lately? I do not have a clue.
However, a progammer loses nothing really(maybe a tiny smidgen of credibility with people in the know if he were to crow excessively his good rating) and gets his product in front of an audience without paying ad fees.
ps strange how difficult it was to actually find PRN?

Myhorse1_X
02-09-2002, 08:28 AM
GameTheory:

It costs me about $5.00 for mailing, the padded envelope is $0.39, the CD is about $0.80 (for a good quality), I paid $200 for the CD face design, and it takes me about 45 minutes to produce a CD, print out the instructions, and put it into the mail. Plus the time I might spend with the user before he/she sends it back.

I think that $30 for my efforts is not asking too much. How much is your hourly rate where you work?Besides if the person wants their money back I have to send them an uninstall diskette to prove to me that they really uninstalled it from their computer.

I'll make you a deal. You send me $330 to try it, and if you don't like it, I will send you back all $330! How about that.
I an not trying to make money on it, just trying to cover my expenses.

MyHorse1

I would like to know how many people looked at my website prior to making your comments.

Myhorse1_X
02-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Everyone:

You must forgive me, sometimes I forget and take your comments personally and I shouldn't.
I know that a lot of you out there have been stuck with bad software, and I don't blame you for being wary of anyone selling Handicapping software.
I tried to put everything about the program on the internet. Of course I presented some of the larger payoffs that the program has picked. I purposely did not pick races that were 1 year old, all the examples I used were in January, this year. I didn't have to look far to get some good examples of what the program can do. Does the program have bad days? Of course. Does it do better at some tracks as it does others, of course. Just like any Handicapper, the programming leans toward Class I tracks.
It is frustrating to really try to do the right thing when the industry is full of bad products. I don't know how to overcome your doubts, I have tried everything I know. Free programs is not the answer.
I really don't have to sell the program at all. My living is made elsewhere. I am retired so I don't have to feed my family by selling worthless software. Besides, my conscience would not allow me to do so.

Again, please forgive me. I shall try to take your comments as constructive and not personal.

MyHorse1

JimG
02-09-2002, 10:22 AM

I know that a lot of you out there have been stuck with bad software, and I don't blame you for being wary of anyone selling Handicapping software.

I was thinking about this and I am probably in the minority but for as much handicapping software as I have bought, tried over the years, I have not felt "stuck" by hardly any of them. Among those I have tried or currently used:

All-Ways
Horse Street Handicapper
HTR
Capsheet
PHQS
Synergism VI
Neurax Pro
Plus V

and probably a couple of others I've forgot about. None of them made me rich or guaranteed me a profit. But I don't recall any of them promising to make me rich.

While I have definitely helped some independent software developers out there, for the most part I have gotten quality in return. Why do I try so many....I like to learn and try new approaches of playing the races. I find with a couple of exceptions, if I do the same thing over and over, the public catches on and the profits dry up.

Jim

Lefty
02-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Gawd, Jim G., if you're currently using HSH, HTR, AND ALL-WAYs, AND Synergism 6 I sure wouldn't want to see your data bills.
Of course I say this tongue in cheek as I can't imagine a person
paying for this much data.

wes
02-09-2002, 01:16 PM
myhorse1

I noticed you never mentioned any thing about purchasing updates for your program. Do you offer any updates?

wes

JimG
02-09-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Gawd, Jim G., if you're currently using HSH, HTR, AND ALL-WAYs, AND Synergism 6 I sure wouldn't want to see your data bills.
Of course I say this tongue in cheek as I can't imagine a person
paying for this much data.

I agree. If I used these all at the same time I would get a headache as well as be broke from paying data bills. <g>

Actually, these are programs I have used at one time or another over the last 5 years. During some periods I have used none and go back to racing form, pen and paper handicapping. Normally always do this when the local track (Colonial Downs) is running.

Jim

GameTheory
02-09-2002, 01:52 PM
MyHorse:

As I think you realized, I'm really not trying to criticize you (in a bad way -- more of a "critique") or saying you are trying to rip people off or anything of the kind.

You see, the fact that we're all here having this nice discussion, and you are obviously are person of integrity, etc. puts all such worries out of my mind.

BUT -- you have to assume that not everyone looking at your website has read this thread. And they probably won't email you to ask you questions either. The *only* things that they know about you and your program are what's on your website.

So, if *I* were one of those anonymous potential customers (which I'm not, because I'm here talking with you), it is quite likely that I might have some of those thoughts I expressed and would go on to some other site and not give your program another thought. Whether or not 10% is asking too much or not would be irrelevant to such a person, because they have no way of knowing that and you could just be a crook. Crooks *look* the same as honest people, except they steal from you.

So I'm just pointing out a possible consequence of your choice that you may not have thought of. If you want to trade the experiece of dealing with some annoying whiners at the expense of losing a few potential customers, then so be it. It may very well be a good trade, and save you headaches/stress/aggravation. But do it with your eyes open. Remember, we're only talking about the subset of people willing to send you $330 in the first place...

Myhorse1_X
02-09-2002, 02:33 PM
Wes:

I try to keep making my program easier to use and to make the "tools" of handicapping more evident. If I find that one part of my program is hard to understand, I redesign the program to make it easier.
I critique my own personal handicapping and compare it with the pick of the program and then ask myself" why did I differ with the program". I just have finished adding a small change to the program that adds an indicator of a "++" workout pattern that I use to help me handicap. I have added a complex pattern formula to indicate a horse in current form. All of these additions are in the " Comments" column, and each one is to try to make the user more aware of what things indicate that a horse is trying to/able to win. I have added the Bet Module, the Modeler, and a few others to help make good choices of how to bet.
I have had 6 updates, and the version is up to 1.6.1 as of yesterday. I have not charged for any update so far and I probably will not. So far the updates have been unexpensive but a major update will have to be weighed with cost versus the additional benefit to the users.

I hope that answers your question.

MyHorse1

karlskorner
02-09-2002, 07:23 PM
Myhorse 1

The word "update" always gives me a strange feeling, like I just paid $300.00 for something that wasn't quite done yet or needed improvement, as the programmer keeps inserting new ideas into his method. You never see the word "updated" on a bar of soap, it's "new and/or improved". Update implies that something isn't done yet, but we're working on it.

Karl
__________________________________________________ __
A profit at the race track isn't a profit until you spend it elsewhere.

Lefty
02-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Rc'd my Feb. Phillips Newsletter today and lo and behold there was a review of MyHorse's Dynaform Prgm. My that was fast.
Pretty good review too.

NoDayJob
02-10-2002, 12:32 AM
NDJ:

MyHorse1

Thank you for you offer. It seems extremely fair. However, I just don't have the time to devote to someone else's program. I have been programming my own horse racing software in various languages for many, many years now. My latest program is written with a combination of Euphoria/C which enables me to run it in DOS, Windows or Linux platforms with any data base currently available. I'm sure there are others that would have the time to devote to researching your program. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors -NDJ

jackad
02-10-2002, 12:41 AM
MyHorse1,
For the benefit of those of us who do not receive the PRN newsletter, would you report the test they did: how many races, lwin frequency, ROI, runouts, whatever? Thanks
Jack

Myhorse1_X
02-10-2002, 09:10 AM
karlscorner:

If it were'nt updates we would be still driving 1928 Ford T-Model cars, still flying the Kittyhawlk and still be listening to crystal chip radios.
The reason one does updates is that he/she listens to their customers and responds to it, and if I can make small improvements, I shall continue.

I always listen to my customer's questions as you can read on my website and I try to respond out of respect to them and satisfaction to myself.

MyHorse1

Myhorse1_X
02-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Jackad:

I have not received the Phillips Newsletter myself. When I do, regardless of the rating I will post it.

I do know this; the review covered one month's races (December), at three different tracks, one of which was Calder.
The race days were Saturday and Sunday. Phillips states that most of their readers go to the track on Sat. and Sun, therefore the review should cover those days. They strictly rate on Win % and ROI. They play every race on the card. A real tough way to get any kind of ROI, but it is their standard for all systems and if that's what they use on all systems, it seems fair enough. This is the information that I have received from others that have had their systems rated, this information is not from Phillips.

Not exactly my choice of months, and Sunday is not a day that I chose to go to the track for a couple of reasons. No1 is that Sunday is not really a good day for good races, and No2, I feel that I do better spending time with my family and in Church than at the racetrack. My choice days are Thursday, Friday, Saturday and strangely enough I sometimes go on a Monday if I can find a good card. I handicap three tracks every day, and most of my serious betting is done at home.

The Phillips Newsletter was supposed to be mailed to me on Friday, 02/08/02 and I will let you know.

I wish to thank everyone for their comments and for checking out my website. Overall I think it was constructive.

MyHorse1

karlskorner
02-10-2002, 05:19 PM
MyHorse 1

I am not trying to knock your program. I looked at your site and congratulate you on the work put into it.

I guess in your computer world the word "update" has meaning but to an outsider like myself it doen't. Since you used a 1929 Ford as an example, agreed there have been many improvements, but when we turn in the 2 Mazdas in at the end of the year, I don't want the sales mgr. to say "Hi Karl, we "udated" last years model (that's probably all they did, but tell me "new")

As far as Phillips Newsletter, I hope they give you a "10". The only way I could accept their ratings is by playing all the races on a card, spot playing throughout the country is not a good bench mark. If you get a "9.5 - 10", close down your site, lock the doors, quit your job and join in, you have a winner.

Karl

Myhorse1_X
02-10-2002, 06:21 PM
karlscorner:

I received an "8", as a rating, but because of the 10% restocking fee, they deducted 1/2 point.

MyHorse1

karlskorner
02-10-2002, 08:07 PM
MyHorse 1

Damn, you didn't make it.

Most everybody gets an "8", there are a couple that did get a 9 or 9.5. I knew that "restocking fee" was going to bite you.

By the way Sunday is the 2nd best racing day any where in the country, after Sat. Friday is 'garbage" day at most tracks.

But after re-reading the principals you live by above, my money is on you.

Karl

Myhorse1_X
02-13-2002, 06:17 PM
The Phillips Newsletter Rating:

If anyone is interested, I have posted most of the 3 1/2 page report on my software on my website. www.myhorse1.com

I only got an 8 rating, but I wonder how many other software sellers can say that they got a 1.60 ROI on the top two numbers with a 10.40 average mutual.

MyHorse1

Dick Schmidt
02-13-2002, 06:37 PM
MyHorse,

Very nice results. I can never understand how Phillips can give any program or system that loses money anything but a "0" rating, but they do. Your 8 seems fair, as your actual ROI is 6 1/2% when you include all the races bet, not just the winners. (293 race @ $4 = $1172 bet. 120 wins @ $10.40 = $1248 return. Profit was $76, a return of 6.5%)

The thing we all need to remember is that the Phillips testers are usually lazy and just do the bare minimum. If they can get 6.5%, an insightful user willing to do the model keeping and such should be able to double that.

Congrats on having one of the few programs I've ever seen tested that showed a flat bet profit!

Dick

Myhorse1_X
02-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Dick:

Thank you for your comments. I think the review was fair and I feel that the reviewer did a great job.

Very few people and software can claim a flat bet profit after a month of betting 2 horses. Like you say, using the other "tools" I have in the program and being a little selective would improve that ROI considerably. My program is one of the few that picks first time starters, but I won't go into that on this site.

MyHorse1

jackad
02-13-2002, 11:32 PM
Myhorse1,
Thanks for providing the excerpts from the Phillips review.
But I'm not a 2-horse better. Can you supply any results achieved with betting only the top ranked horse, with one or more of your settings? Surely you must have tracked such results over at least some period of time. You strike me as being a very honest person so I'm very ready to give credibility to the data you provide.
Thanks.
Jack

Myhorse1_X
02-14-2002, 08:47 AM
Jackad:

The program will get you to the top 2 or 3 horses, and the "Tools" that I have in the program will get you the rest of the way. On my website, this is detailed under the heading of "Handicappers Corner" feature.

It will explain how to get to one.

MyHorse1 http:www.MyHorse1.com is the website.

jackad
02-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Myhorse1,
Yes, but would you cite win frequency and ROI for the top ranked horse after application of these tools?
Jack

Myhorse1_X
02-14-2002, 02:11 PM
Jackad:

I am not trying to be evasive, but the results I come up with might be completely different than what someone else comes up with. depending on their style of play.

Personally, I only play class 1 tracks, Claiming races of above $25,000, NW3 Alw. races and fields of 8-10 horses ONLY. Mostly the NY circuit and my win percentage using SPEED, picking only one horse to win is about 42%, with an average mutual of $8.40. Like I said, I only play about 3-4 races a week and those figures are based upon the races I play and I don't bet on any horse that is not at least 5/2.

MyHorse1

Jake
02-14-2002, 04:12 PM
Myhorse1,

It looks like your default settings show a positive ROI for both your 1st choice, 1%, and and your 2nd choice, 12%, playing every race. If those hold up longterm, those are very powerful numbers.

Your last post indicates you prefer to play only better class races using the Speed rating rather than the default. Again with a very nice ROI.

Have you tried playing either the default method (top 2) or your speed method only with overlays?....since your program screen on the website gives a fairbet oddsline. Just playing any overlaid 2nd choice default horse looks like a no-brainer. I guessing that you should be able to jack the current ROI using either method (default or speed) by simply doing that. Have you tested this?

Myhorse1_X
02-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Jake:

I have a client that does just that. She leaves it on Speed, 3 horses, and plays the two overlays. If there are three overlays, she passes the race.

She does only play certain races similar to my parameters and has shown a profit for the last 2 years since she started using my program. She was a beta-tester so she has been with me since the beginning.

Also She is a good paper and pencil handicapper before the computer came along, so She had good betting habits prior to using my program.
A lot of people don't really know what an overlay is, and when certain odds are not an overlay but a foolish bet. Eric Langhar of ITS had a very good article on overlays. It is worth reading.

MyHorse1

Jake
02-14-2002, 05:59 PM
I don't mean betting two horses. If you bet both your top 2 default horses you get what Dick Schmidt was talking about, a 6.5% ROI. But if you just played your 2nd choice--assuming the
ROI held longterm--you would have a 12% ROI at the larger single bet size. My question here is, has anyone tracked single win betting either just the top 1 or top 2 default horses, or using your speed approach, just the top 1 speed horse---when they are overlaid to your predicted program line?

For example, on the 2nd choice default horse if you just played overlays given your win %, it seems logical that your ROI would be much higher than 12% here. I was just wondering if you had ever trying testing for this. From your earlier answer, I suspect you haven't, yet. I suggest you might want to think about it, because it looks like you could seriously jack your ROI, though with fewer bets, just by checking your own program line.

Jake:

I have a client that does just that. She leaves it on Speed, 3 horses, and plays the two overlays. If there are three overlays, she passes the race.

She does only play certain races similar to my parameters and has shown a profit for the last 2 years since she started using my program. She was a beta-tester so she has been with me since the beginning.

Also She is a good paper and pencil handicapper before the computer came along, so She had good betting habits prior to using my program.
A lot of people don't really know what an overlay is, and when certain odds are not an overlay but a foolish bet. Eric Langhar of ITS had a very good article on overlays. It is worth reading.

MyHorse1

jackad
02-15-2002, 01:07 AM
Jake,
Thanks for reporting your findings of ROI with the top and second ranked horses with the default setting. I'm getting increasingly inclined to give the Myhorse program a try.
May I ask the size of the sample you reported on? Thanks.
Jack

Jake
02-15-2002, 01:26 AM
Jackad,

This is from the Phillips review on his website. Check the 1st post on this thread and you'll see his website listed there: myhorse1.com

Originally posted by jackad
Jake,
Thanks for reporting your findings of ROI with the top and second ranked horses with the default setting. I'm getting increasingly inclined to give the Myhorse program a try.
May I ask the size of the sample you reported on? Thanks.
Jack

Myhorse1_X
02-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Jake:

I can't give you those numbers because that isn't the way I play. I can give you my win % for a certain type race at a certain track, but I never have looked at an overall win % for the 1st Speed, or the 2nd Default etc.

Maybe I should.

Myhorse1

Lefty
02-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Myhorse, you should get your prgm. listed at Cindy Pierson's website. It used to be free to do; prob. still is.