PDA

View Full Version : South American horses

SG4
10-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Just had a pretty random thought today while thinking of older winners of the Distaff, Bayakoa & Paseana, which is it seemed for awhile that every few years a real freak of a dirt horse showed up in the US from South America. Over the stretch of about 2 decades you had Bayakoa, Paseana, Gentlemen, Candy Ride & Invasor, with some other G1 winners thrown in like Different, Siphon, Riboletta, Wild Spirit & Cocoa Beach, plus top flight turfers Sandpit & Leroidesanimaux.

Am I forgetting anyone recently, or has it just been a really long time since a top flight runner has emerged from South America? Guess you've got G1 winner on turf Dacita from Chile, and that winner of the BC Marathon (Calidoscopo) a few years back, but not exactly all-timers.

Any trends as to why this might be, or just a random luck of the draw that exceptional talents just happened to come from that part of the world for a span? Would think with the declining US foal crop there'd be more chances for international invasion, but maybe crops are down in these other places too? Bal a Bali was supposed to be that next superstar type & I guess it's hard to judge him after what he overcame to make it to the races here, but he has certainly failed to live up to the hype. Juno not exactly lighting it up in the USA either.

OTM Al
10-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Just had a pretty random thought today while thinking of older winners of the Distaff, Bayakoa & Paseana, which is it seemed for awhile that every few years a real freak of a dirt horse showed up in the US from South America. Over the stretch of about 2 decades you had Bayakoa, Paseana, Gentlemen, Candy Ride & Invasor, with some other G1 winners thrown in like Different, Siphon, Riboletta, Wild Spirit & Cocoa Beach, plus top flight turfers Sandpit & Leroidesanimaux.

Am I forgetting anyone recently, or has it just been a really long time since a top flight runner has emerged from South America? Guess you've got G1 winner on turf Dacita from Chile, and that winner of the BC Marathon (Calidoscopo) a few years back, but not exactly all-timers.

Any trends as to why this might be, or just a random luck of the draw that exceptional talents just happened to come from that part of the world for a span? Would think with the declining US foal crop there'd be more chances for international invasion, but maybe crops are down in these other places too? Bal a Bali was supposed to be that next superstar type & I guess it's hard to judge him after what he overcame to make it to the races here, but he has certainly failed to live up to the hype. Juno not exactly lighting it up in the USA either.

You are remembering the stars but there have been many many busts too. Personally wouldn't touch one unless they win all or very close to all the SA Gr1s they have run in down there and then I am still skeptical. Tend to be overbet more often than not.

ebcorde
10-26-2016, 03:52 PM
maybe the economy had an effect? Candy Ride, Invasor was like 2004-2006

Nitro
10-26-2016, 04:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken I believe the trainers of these particular horses had a lot to do with their success. Some of them even had some input in making those purchases.

Spalding No!
10-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Just had a pretty random thought today while thinking of older winners of the Distaff, Bayakoa & Paseana, which is it seemed for awhile that every few years a real freak of a dirt horse showed up in the US from South America. Over the stretch of about 2 decades you had Bayakoa, Paseana, Gentlemen, Candy Ride & Invasor, with some other G1 winners thrown in like Different, Siphon, Riboletta, Wild Spirit & Cocoa Beach, plus top flight turfers Sandpit & Leroidesanimaux.A major issue appears to be ownership. One trend within this factor is that several have died. Frank Witham, Aaron Jones, and Sidney Craig. Gary Tanaka went to jail. Many used Ron McAnally as their trainer for the most part, and his stable has declined as a result of owner loss and age. However, currently, McAnally has a few horses for Sumaya Stable.

Another trend related to ownership seems to be that the horses are no longer being sold. This might be due to the past success of the imports you mentioned resulting in asking prices way too high or the original owners in SA being willing to import the horses themselves (Haras Phillipson, Pozo de Luna). In fact, even without homebred horses, many South American owners are making inroads into Kentucky. Don Alberto, Stud TNT, Sumaya Stable. All are trying their hand at operating directly in NA.

A few of those imports have also made an impact on NA bloodlines (which make sense, as many SA bloodlines originate in NA castoffs with strong pedigrees). Candy Ride the main example. But Bayakoa was the granddam of BC Classic winner Fort Larned and multiple G1 winner Affluent. Wild Spirit is the granddam of Portonico. Carina Mia is a half-sister to Miss Match.

Suggestive Boy, Winning Prize, Interaction, Einstein, Indy Point, Catch a Flight, Miss Match, Star Parade, Magnum. A handful of Carlos Pellegrini winners have made it stateside with modest success. Kasaqui is starting to make noise, nearly taking down the Arlington Million.

elhelmete
10-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Personally, based solely on my SoCal observations, they're an immediate toss, and usually an underlay for their first couple NA starts.

Spalding No!
10-26-2016, 07:12 PM
Personally, based solely on my SoCal observations, they're an immediate toss, and usually an underlay for their first couple NA starts.
I agree, only a few are successful first time in the states (Candy Ride, Different, Romarin). Gentlemen ran dead last in his first start here. The acclimation process is a huge obstacle, and most are given over 6 months to adjust.

Furthermore, it can take a while for Grade 1 form to develop, so patience is required. Festin, Siphon, Ibero, Riboletta, and Bayakoa all took a full season of racing before making it to the top level.

SG4
10-26-2016, 10:34 PM
A major issue appears to be ownership. One trend within this factor is that several have died. Frank Witham, Aaron Jones, and Sidney Craig. Gary Tanaka went to jail. Many used Ron McAnally as their trainer for the most part, and his stable has declined as a result of owner loss and age. However, currently, McAnally has a few horses for Sumaya Stable.

Another trend related to ownership seems to be that the horses are no longer being sold. This might be due to the past success of the imports you mentioned resulting in asking prices way too high or the original owners in SA being willing to import the horses themselves (Haras Phillipson, Pozo de Luna). In fact, even without homebred horses, many South American owners are making inroads into Kentucky. Don Alberto, Stud TNT, Sumaya Stable. All are trying their hand at operating directly in NA.

A few of those imports have also made an impact on NA bloodlines (which make sense, as many SA bloodlines originate in NA castoffs with strong pedigrees). Candy Ride the main example. But Bayakoa was the granddam of BC Classic winner Fort Larned and multiple G1 winner Affluent. Wild Spirit is the granddam of Portonico. Carina Mia is a half-sister to Miss Match.

Suggestive Boy, Winning Prize, Interaction, Einstein, Indy Point, Catch a Flight, Miss Match, Star Parade, Magnum. A handful of Carlos Pellegrini winners have made it stateside with modest success. Kasaqui is starting to make noise, nearly taking down the Arlington Million.

Good post, thanks. Although to split hairs, Einstein was bred in Brazil but started his racing career in the US.