PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Transportation

MonmouthParkJoe
10-24-2016, 11:14 AM
I have been looking at some transportation options that were discussed in previous thread. I contemplated the helicopter package but for $17,500 it is a little steep :D

I am staying in El Monte, roughly 6 miles from the track. Looks like the options are train and bus, as well as uber, lyft and taxis. The train option could bring you to the arcadia stop, then they have free shuttles from there to the track. I think the last shuttle/train is something like 630, with the classic post time set for 530. Just got an email for Uber, if you sign up using the code "2016breederscup" you will get $15 off your first ride if you have never used the service before. I havent so I am will be giving it a go. Figured I would toss this out there for those going.

elhelmete
10-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Having gone to BC @ SA twice, and having been to SA probably 1000 times, here's what I would do.

I'd Uber or train in on the inbound.

After the Classic, I'd stay for that last get-out race and not be in a hurry to leave. Then I'd uber it.

cj
10-24-2016, 06:55 PM
I have been looking at some transportation options that were discussed in previous thread. I contemplated the helicopter package but for $17,500 it is a little steep :D

I am staying in El Monte, roughly 6 miles from the track. Looks like the options are train and bus, as well as uber, lyft and taxis. The train option could bring you to the arcadia stop, then they have free shuttles from there to the track. I think the last shuttle/train is something like 630, with the classic post time set for 530. Just got an email for Uber, if you sign up using the code "2016breederscup" you will get $15 off your first ride if you have never used the service before. I havent so I am will be giving it a go. Figured I would toss this out there for those going.

Uber is great, but you'll be waiting for a while to get one after the BC. Just prepare for it and you'll be fine as long as you aren't in a big hurry. I'll be in the same line :)

ebcorde
10-24-2016, 07:07 PM
I was on santa anita website and I saw something about a Uber taxi thing there.

I got link
http://www.santaanita.com/?s=uber

MonmouthParkJoe
10-24-2016, 08:05 PM
Uber is great, but you'll be waiting for a while to get one after the BC. Just prepare for it and you'll be fine as long as you aren't in a big hurry. I'll be in the same line :)

It would be great to meet you out there, nice to put some faces with names on here.

anotherCAfan
10-28-2016, 03:43 PM
I am staying in El Monte
Were hotels in "nicer" suburbs all sold out? :eek:

edit: I agree with elhelmete; you could consider hailing an Uber on your way there, and on your way back (stay for the last race, to let the crowd dissipate).

elhelmete
10-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Were hotels in "nicer" suburbs all sold out? :eek:

edit: I agree with elhelmete; you could consider hailing an Uber on your way there, and on your way back (stay for the last race, to let the crowd dissipate).

I just noticed this year the Classic is the final race....

MonmouthParkJoe
10-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Honestly ive never been to Santa Anita or the surrounding area. Is El Monte a dump?

In reality I will be going from the hotel to the track, not exactly sight seeing. Not too worried about handling myself there, but honestly might even try to switch hotels if it is that bad for my wife's sake. She likes the finer things :D

ebcorde
10-28-2016, 09:47 PM
Honestly ive never been to Santa Anita or the surrounding area. Is El Monte a dump?

In reality I will be going from the hotel to the track, not exactly sight seeing. Not too worried about handling myself there, but honestly might even try to switch hotels if it is that bad for my wife's sake. She likes the finer things :D

ain't nobody going to get ya. LA is weird , These days if you move there, you have to know the Demographics. I had no problem living in Fullerton, in the 80's, actually cheap too.
Today who knows, buy a House and your neighbor is the Blood and Crips, or La Raza, Yakusa lol. That Forces you to buy a Postage stamp size House that eats up all your money.

10 years ago I was about to make a move to San Jose, until I saw housing prices.

You're only staying for a weekend.

anotherCAfan
10-29-2016, 12:32 AM
It's no Arcadia or Sierra Madre -- but it's better than some parts of Chicago I'm sure.

I would imagine the Courtyard by Marriott in Monrovia (right on the Arcadia border) is sold out... but if it isn't, then check it out.

lamboguy
10-29-2016, 03:28 AM
i stay at the Langham in Pasadena. they have a shuttle service for both days to the track and back to the hotel after the races, its usually the host hotel for this event and the place is as nice as it gets.

MonmouthParkJoe
10-29-2016, 09:31 AM
i stay at the Langham in Pasadena. they have a shuttle service for both days to the track and back to the hotel after the races, its usually the host hotel for this event and the place is as nice as it gets.

Looks like the rooms they have left are $865 a night excluding tax, so you figure I would check in Thursday and checkout Sunday, figure around $2,700 :eek:

I would rather slum it and play a pick 6 haha.

Thanks for the info though, but the place looks gorgeous

cj
10-29-2016, 03:41 PM
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bursh-springhill-suites-los-angeles-burbank-downtown/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

I'm staying there, little bit of a drive but not much more than Pasadena. $158 a night. That was a military rate but the regular wasn't much more, like $180 if memory serves. It gets very good reviews too.

anotherCAfan
10-29-2016, 05:50 PM
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bursh-springhill-suites-los-angeles-burbank-downtown/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

I'm staying there, little bit of a drive but not much more than Pasadena. $158 a night. That was a military rate but the regular wasn't much more, like $180 if memory serves. It gets very good reviews too.
Friday drive (if you're going Friday) will be a little crazy, but not too bad.

BTW -- you have some really good restaurants a few blocks up the street from where you're staying.

cj
10-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Friday drive (if you're going Friday) will be a little crazy, but not too bad.

BTW -- you have some really good restaurants a few blocks up the street from where you're staying.

Thanks for the info. Which restaurant would you recommend first?

anotherCAfan
10-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Last time I was there, I ate at Chadaka Thai.

As far as burgers and brew, I haven't been to Fuddruckers in many, many years, but they are still there in Burbank and must be doing well in order to stay there.

At my old job, we ordered from Granville a few times; it's "upscale" comfort food that is really good.

Tender Greens is a good local "chain" (technically, since they have other locations in the area) for salads.

Barney's Beanery is good for drinks.

garyscpa
11-03-2016, 10:20 PM

I'm staying there now. If you walk left out of the front door of the hotel, 3 or 4 blocks or so, there is a large area of restaurants and bars.

cj
11-03-2016, 10:56 PM
I'm staying there now. If you walk left out of the front door of the hotel, 3 or 4 blocks or so, there is a large area of restaurants and bars.

Yep, went exploring today, this is a great spot!

cj
11-03-2016, 10:57 PM
Last time I was there, I ate at Chadaka Thai.

As far as burgers and brew, I haven't been to Fuddruckers in many, many years, but they are still there in Burbank and must be doing well in order to stay there.

At my old job, we ordered from Granville a few times; it's "upscale" comfort food that is really good.

Tender Greens is a good local "chain" (technically, since they have other locations in the area) for salads.

Barney's Beanery is good for drinks.

Thanks for the tips!

ebcorde
11-04-2016, 02:35 AM
Looks like the rooms they have left are $865 a night excluding tax, so you figure I would check in Thursday and checkout Sunday, figure around $2,700 :eek:

I would rather slum it and play a pick 6 haha.

Thanks for the info though, but the place looks gorgeous

oh no I don't stay at Hotels that cost that much unless work is paying for it. :lol:

check in 5pm checkout 11am nah at $865. I'm too cheap. I'll sleep in the car
or stay up all night in a bar drinking, or stay at my sister's in Oceanside, make the 2.5 hour drive.

Forget that. My old bosses would drive to their 300 plants by Winnebago. and they're worth over 40 billion.

No Marriott's?

anotherCAfan
11-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips!
You're welcome! Hope you are enjoying LA.

oh no I don't stay at Hotels that cost that much unless work is paying for it. :lol:

check in 5pm checkout 11am nah at $865. I'm too cheap. I'll sleep in the car
or stay up all night in a bar drinking, or stay at my sister's in Oceanside, make the 2.5 hour drive.

Forget that. My old bosses would drive to their 300 plants by Winnebago. and they're worth over 40 billion.

No Marriott's?
There's a Courtyard and a Residence in Old Pasadena, as well as a Courtyard in Monrovia.

BTW your staying in Oceanside might be a good idea for next year's Breeders Cup at Del Mar (stuff is probably more expensive in North County San Diego, than in the San Gabriel Valley).

cj
11-06-2016, 10:56 AM

Nice meeting you yesterday Gary!

deelo
11-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Anyone hitting SA today? Me and the lady bout to go get rich.

garyscpa
11-06-2016, 03:18 PM
Nice meeting you yesterday Gary!

Same here. :ThmbUp: