PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Jockies Making a Living..

sq764
07-18-2004, 07:39 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/sports/2004/07/18grindersgetnofr.html

playintheponies
07-18-2004, 11:51 PM
good article, thanks for posting

playintheponies

CryingForTheHorses
07-20-2004, 04:08 PM
Great story.VERY TRUE.I can relate to this as my wife rode for a few years,Only thing the story doesnt give you is the hope and desire for these guys and girls to get that chance to ride a nice horse, Nothing worse for a jock is to be taken off if the horse doesnt win, Have saw many horses put in the wrong race and finish up the track,Then see the trainer put the horse where he belongs switch riders and the horse wins!!.Also had a owner with a horse that won 3 in a row with this jock..New jock came into town,He wanted to switch jocks..Horse ran second..Very important thing in a race..Look at the condition of the race!!..Look and see if the horse you want to bet on BELONGS in that race.If the outside only knew what these dedicated men and women,Jockeys,Excercise riders,grooms hotwalkers,blacksmiths,Vets,Feedman,oh yeah and us owers, Up before the chicken's.ALL these people put their life on the line everday.The story that you have read in the other post is just one of many that go on everyday,Seems the public only hears of the high profile horses,Everyone of these people work very hard and deserve credit when due.Gone are the days of the owner visiting the barn, You still see a few but its NOT like before.Gone is the pride for the game, NOW its all about the money..Gone are the Old Time Horseman.The game is now full of Men with Horses..not Horseman,and crackerjack box trainers.

kenwoodallpromos
07-20-2004, 06:02 PM
I key my capping on proper placement.
___
Those jockeys are very braves. "Whips win races, whimps do not". LOL

RXB
07-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Frankel had a top turf mare a few years ago named Happynyouknowit. The horse didn't do much its first few starts after coming from New Zealand-- 1 win, zero seconds in four or five races. Then he put Blanc on it, and for eight or nine consecutive races the horse (w/ Blanc) never ran worse than second.

But Frankel, being Frankel, got mad at Blanc after the horse finished second twice in a row, and took him off. Frankel tried other riders for about five races, and the mare never finished better than third. So, he gave Blanc the mount again.

The mare won.