PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thoughts on data

cj
10-19-2016, 08:55 PM
http://crunktrunk.tumblr.com/post/152026565833/compare-and-contrast

cj
10-19-2016, 08:57 PM
...and another along similar lines

http://pullthepocket.blogspot.com/2016/10/building-and-distributing-modern-data.html

rsetup
10-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Nothing is interesting about flawed data.

I would be very surprised if some weren't already getting much better data than presently (and probably the next century, if we left it to Equibase and Trakus) available by 'parsing' race video.

cj
10-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Nothing is interesting about flawed data.

I would be very surprised if some weren't already getting much better data than presently (and probably the next century, if we left it to Equibase and Trakus) available by 'parsing' race video.

I would, the video isn't good enough currently.

classhandicapper
10-19-2016, 11:50 PM
The information that is valuable is the data and/or stats that no one else has (or at least that very few others have). That means work and research. Every time the PPs and data improve, imo, it's a negative for gamblers.

I remember when you could get a big price on a Peter Ferriola private purchase because so few people knew the horse had even changed hands. It wasn't in the PPs. A lot of things that had some value years ago don't anymore because the information keeps improving.

cj
10-19-2016, 11:57 PM
The information that is valuable is the data and/or stats that no one else has (or at least that very few others have). That means work and research. Every time the PPs and data improve, imo, it's a negative for gamblers.

I remember when you could get a big price on a Peter Ferriola private purchase because so few people knew the horse had even changed hands. It wasn't in the PPs. A lot of things that had some value years ago don't anymore because the information keeps improving.

Sounds like the response of an old man. :)

Data should be as accurate and clean as possible and also all encompassing. The smartest people and best bettors will take advantage, just like now. You just have to adapt to the new reality. Living in the dark ages is no way for the game to survive.

AltonKelsey
10-20-2016, 12:04 AM

Data should be as accurate and clean as possible and also all encompassing. The smartest people and best bettors will take advantage, just like now. You just have to adapt to the new reality. Living in the dark ages is no way for the game to survive.

It's really a question of how much YOUR game improves with the new data.

If you were a Master of the Universe 20+ years ago and had all these stats for yourself, then yes , the ubiquity of the info is costing you.

Few of us were, even those that played for keeps.

I'm grateful for the data and do quite a bit on my own , more than most, with custom software. Don't even play that seriously, but it amuses me.

zawaaa
10-20-2016, 05:20 AM
Every time the PPs and data improve, imo, it's a negative for gamblers. agreed... but i would never vote against it, myself.

The smartest people and best bettors will take advantage, just like now.no, there will be progressively fewer who can -- it's deceitful to say otherwise.

ultracapper
10-20-2016, 05:35 AM
Talking about data, went to DRF site to get reminded what white C in black circle, bold C, bold S and S in black circle mean. The quick little point-and-click tutorial hasn't been updated for this.

Any help? Quick reminder ought to do it for once and all. Which is front favoring?

FakeNameChanged
10-20-2016, 06:10 AM
Talking about data, went to DRF site to get reminded what white C in black circle, bold C, bold S and S in black circle mean. The quick little point-and-click tutorial hasn't been updated for this.

Any help? Quick reminder ought to do it for once and all. Which is front favoring?
Same here^^^. And has DRF removed their alerts function? A search on their site hasn't turned it up.

Tom
10-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Just because everyone has the same data doesn't mean they will all use it the same or even intelligently.

I have a tool box at home, good tools, but you don't want me fixing your car.

The goal should always be accurate data.

classhandicapper
10-20-2016, 09:03 AM

You are right about the old part. :(

I think you misunderstood me.

I want my data to be as accurate and clean as possible. I just want information that very few people have. I have no desire to look at the same info as a bunch of very smart people and hope I can be even smarter than they are. That's a tough game. I may need to look at all the available information, but my bets are coming from what I think I know that's not commonly known. That's why I currently focus so much attention on analyzing charts, replays, biases etc... Not many people are willing to look at the PPs of the horses that were in a race, watch hours of replays, review charts etc... to gain a better grasp of what actually happened in a race. It's a lot of work and it takes a lot of experience.

EMD4ME
10-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Not many people are willing to look at the PPs of the horses that were in a race, watch hours of replays, review charts etc... to gain a better grasp of what actually happened in a race. It's a lot of work and it takes a lot of experience.

Wise words Class :ThmbUp:

Seems like many are looking for a shortcut. Good . Let them. I, like you, prefer to know everything I can get my hands on. Then let my PC analyze and put things together.

rsetup
10-20-2016, 10:53 AM
I applaud those willing to do all that grunt work. A standing ovation for those with a clue as to what they're doing. I did more than my share of grunt work in the 80's. I came to realize that some of it is overkill. Some shortcuts are good.

EMD4ME
10-20-2016, 11:30 AM
I've learned .....its so much better to do all the work and bet 100% of your money on 1 track vs. Spreading thin (work wise) over 2 and betting 2 tracks.

That's probably not good for others but works for me.

Ironically, my handle has gone up not down since truly executing that.

ReplayRandall
10-20-2016, 12:20 PM
I've learned .....its so much better to do all the work and bet 100% of your money on 1 track vs. Spreading thin (work wise) over 2 and betting 2 tracks.

That's probably not good for others but works for me.

Ironically, my handle has gone up not down since truly executing that.

On the flip side of your approach, I believe in finding value wherever it exists. I usually have 5 tracks a day analyzed, which irons out variance of any prolonged slump at any 1 or 2 specific tracks. I also believe in the "hot track" theory, meaning that, for whatever unexplained reason, I'm seeing this specific track with more clarity than the others, thus profiting at an accelerated rate.....Bottom-line, whatever gets the money is where you should be, regardless of a personal track/circuit dislike or favoritism.

classhandicapper
10-20-2016, 01:50 PM
I applaud those willing to do all that grunt work. A standing ovation for those with a clue as to what they're doing. I did more than my share of grunt work in the 80's. I came to realize that some of it is overkill. Some shortcuts are good.

The only shortcut I've found is sticking to the race types I am likely to play. Then I only have to do that kind of in depth analysis in the relevant races. I might look at a race card, do a bias for the day, but only take notes for a few races on the card. That leaves time to do the same thing at another track. There are times I do the bias for the day, but take no trip notes at all other than a few horses that ran/with or against the bias.

I know I'm not going to play any maiden turf races with lightly raced horses, first time starters, and first time turf horses. I have no edge there. That's not my game. So I don't waste time.

dilanesp
10-20-2016, 03:15 PM

This is true, but the thing is, it's also the natural progression of technology that available information is going to improve over time.

Maybe that means we are all doomed, but I would like to believe that a really smart player can seek out forms of information that have not made it into the Racing Form and maintain their edge. OTOH, there's the efficient markets hypothesis....

dilanesp
10-20-2016, 03:17 PM
On the flip side of your approach, I believe in finding value wherever it exists. I usually have 5 tracks a day analyzed, which irons out variance of any prolonged slump at any 1 or 2 specific tracks. I also believe in the "hot track" theory, meaning that, for whatever unexplained reason, I'm seeing this specific track with more clarity than the others, thus profiting at an accelerated rate.....Bottom-line, whatever gets the money is where you should be, regardless of a personal track/circuit dislike or favoritism.

The right answer is probably somewhere in between. There's a benefit for concentrated knowledge and a benefit for finding spots wherever they are- going too far in either direction, however, is likely to be disadvantageous.