PDA

View Full Version : Belmont 10/19 finale - Summer Sweet

SG4
10-18-2016, 10:32 PM
I've got a real puzzle in tomorrow's finale at Belmont, was wondering what other people might think is going on here. I have been following this horse, Summer Sweet, thinking she was ripe for a play off her last race once she returned to face NYB fillies going short on the turf (was up against colts last time), she's back in tomorrow but trying dirt for the first time. Here are the several factors that lead to my confusion as to what she's doing in this spot:

There's a NYB MSW fillies race short on the turf in the condition book for this Saturday, so why not wait for that spot? Suppose it's possible she could be entered there, but would they know if she was in the main body of the field early enough to scratch out of Wednesday's race? Don't think the race would have any trouble filling as Summer Sweet was actually hung out to dry twice on the AE list for these kind of races at Saratoga. Although nothing to write home about, I believe her 2 prior races would put her squarely in the mix as a main player at this level.

Turf sprint season in NY is over for her class after this race, so would think they'd take every chance to get that final local race in, as opposed to running for half the purse vs open company down in Florida.

She scratched twice at Saratoga when turf races were moved to the main track, albeit sloppy courses. So in total she was entered 4 times trying to run in turf sprints vs NYB fillies at Saratoga without being able to accomplish a start, so clearly seems this is the surface they want her to run on. Was never once entered for a dirt race.

16 of her 17 works since May have been on the dirt (all at Saratoga), so would think if she showed some ability on the dirt they may have given her a spin on it already.

The breeding screams turf, nice family all over for this, would think when they paid 550k for her earlier this year it was to make a grass runner out of her.

Finally it seems out of character for Clement to try this move since he's so solid with turf runners. Very poor ROI and mediocre win % doing the turf to dirt thing. This race tomorrow came up with AE's so it's not like they were hustling him to start in this spot either to make it fill.

Anyone with some thoughts pro or con on her chances tomorrow & why she's in this spot?

Lemon Drop Husker
10-18-2016, 11:35 PM
Not that my opinion matters, but she looks like a tough play and with Irad/Clement she will get bet with those connections along with being 1 of 4 horses in the field with experience and one that has been interested early with a good post.

Money burners are always tough bets for me, and she has early signs of being a money burner as dead chalk in her 1st career race and 4/1 in her 2nd career race and has yet to hit the board while being a field splitter.

:10: Beyond Discreet is interesting to me if she runs.

Post parade is crucial as the :4: better look like all of $550K for me to lay a dollar on her nose. (Oh, and yeah, I pretty much agree with all you said as to why here, and why this race? Confusing entry for sure.)

ultracapper
10-19-2016, 01:29 AM
Just reading the OP, I'd put a small wager down that she scratches. Does Clement have another horse in the race? How about in Saturday's?

Kind of an interesting situation.

ultracapper
10-19-2016, 01:32 AM
Now if the second poster's thoughts are better than the OP's, Clement is giving her one more chance before he maybe offers her up for a high tag. Maybe he saw something he didn't like, aside from being an also ran

lamboguy
10-19-2016, 09:19 AM
Now if the second poster's thoughts are better than the OP's, Clement is giving her one more chance before he maybe offers her up for a high tag. Maybe he saw something he didn't like, aside from being an also ranno chance she is ever put up for a tag, she is by a top notch producing mare.

good observations by the original poster, my guess is the filly is on go today

rsetup
10-19-2016, 11:32 AM
I'd never follow a horse like this. She had a 'trip' first out and was supposed to win off it @ sar, given the cutback. But she backedup in the stretch after a perfect inside trip. She probably needs 5F on the turf. High risk, low odds

linrom1
10-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Three things:

1. After watching all the futile attempts by Euros to win a race on dirt in USA or Dubai, I never bet a horse bred for turf to win on dirt!

2. Why is she running in sprits? This horse screams routes--1 1/4+

3. Sand City

SG4
10-19-2016, 04:00 PM
NYB turf sprint race drew 20+ entries for Saturday, split it into 2 races. Guess everyone but this horse was aiming for that spot.

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-19-2016, 05:25 PM
38/1 debut win for the #2 tough game!

EMD4ME
10-19-2016, 06:39 PM
38/1 debut win for the #2 tough game!

I didn't wager today but these are the races I ABSOLUTELY LOVE.

They should run 9 of these a day!!!

9 was a suck up in his 1st start.

5 had a very nice trip and looked to be a need the leader.

4 had huge question marks.

Race was ripe for a FTS bomb.

I wish I wasn't working :bang: :bang: :bang:

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-19-2016, 06:44 PM
I didn't wager today but these are the races I ABSOLUTELY LOVE.

They should run 9 of these a day!!!

9 was a suck up in his 1st start.

5 had a very nice trip and looked to be a need the leader.

4 had huge question marks.

Race was ripe for a FTS bomb.

I wish I wasn't working :bang: :bang: :bang:

You wish you were standing with your elbows leaning against the Belmont rail looking at the sun baked infield and knowing for certain you are in the right place!!! I wish I was there too ha ha

EMD4ME
10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
You wish you were standing with your elbows leaning against the Belmont rail looking at the sun baked infield and knowing for certain you are in the right place!!! I wish I was there too ha ha

I was talking to a pal on the apron sunday around the 7th race.

Back and forth, blah blah blah blah blah blah yadda yadda, my mother is buried at the 1/8 pole he said. No place I'd rather be he said.

I got chills. Regardless of if that is true or not, I love the DIEHARDS!

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I was talking to a pal on the apron sunday around the 7th race.

Back and forth, blah blah blah blah blah blah yadda yadda, my mother is buried at the 1/8 pole he said. No place I'd rather be he said.

I got chills. Regardless of if that is true or not, I love the DIEHARDS!

Me too! I love the Breakfast At Belmont program as you can rub elbows with the trainers/jockeys and have some nice conversations in a relaxed atmosphere.

I am going to miss Belmont when the season ends in a few weeks. Was hard to get used to seeing the track covered in mounds of snow when I went to the Belmont simulcasts.

AltonKelsey
10-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Well the winner ran like it should have taken at least some money in a wise guy haven like NY but alas, if you were looking for clues on the tote, there were damn few.

You wonder (or at least I do) how a horse could be SO FAST , and fast she was , and not attract any support at the windows, but it happens with some frequency. :eek:

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Best place to be, on the engine for these newcomers as they can get brave on the lead. I have seen these speed types come back short in the exactas.

EMD4ME
10-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Me too! I love the Breakfast At Belmont program as you can rub elbows with the trainers/jockeys and have some nice conversations in a relaxed atmosphere.

I am going to miss Belmont when the season ends in a few weeks. Was hard to get used to seeing the track covered in mounds of snow when I went to the Belmont simulcasts.

You mean, you don't enjoy mornings at AQU? Rubbing elbows with the missing schizophrenic (he stands in front of the gate at 11 am, asking for $2 and a used cigarette. He went missing this summer and they had the picture up at the entrance), racino security (who block you from entering our sacred racetrack-unless it's 11 A.M. and 1 second), loveable pigeons (who I feed against the signs posted)?

For the record, AQU is in my heart. If I make fun of it, its ok as I have spent my life there and want it to live on. If anyone else knocks it, it irrationally bothers me.

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-19-2016, 07:32 PM
You mean, you don't enjoy mornings at AQU? Rubbing elbows with the missing schizophrenic (he stands in front of the gate at 11 am, asking for $2 and a used cigarette. He went missing this summer and they had the picture up at the entrance), racino security (who block you from entering our sacred racetrack-unless it's 11 A.M. and 1 second), loveable pigeons (who I feed against the signs posted)?

For the record, AQU is in my heart. If I make fun of it, its ok as I have spent my life there and want it to live on. If anyone else knocks it, it irrationally bothers me.

Ah, Aqueduct, the plant, used to spend a lot of time there with the in-famous pigeons. Still a nice place to be in the winter time when it is single digits and it is warm inside. I like the new longshots room on the second floor, Vegas style gambling room has a nice atmosphere.

linrom1
10-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Well the winner ran like it should have taken at least some money in a wise guy haven like NY but alas, if you were looking for clues on the tote, there were damn few.

You wonder (or at least I do) how a horse could be SO FAST , and fast she was , and not attract any support at the windows, but it happens with some frequency. :eek:

They not only have SUPER TRAINERS in New York, they also have SUPER RACING SECRETARIES!!!!

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2016, 12:20 PM
For the record, AQU is in my heart. If I make fun of it, its ok as I have spent my life there and want it to live on. If anyone else knocks it, it irrationally bothers me.Here here...I am with you 100%.

I don't get out to the track anywhere near the frequency I used to, but I remember way back when spending over a year of my life doing nothing but going to the track on a daily basis, and I loved Aqueduct, even in the winter. Especially in the winter in fact...the inner track will always be a personal favorite of mine.

jk3521
10-20-2016, 01:03 PM
Here here...I am with you 100%.

I don't get out to the track anywhere near the frequency I used to, but I remember way back when spending over a year of my life doing nothing but going to the track on a daily basis, and I loved Aqueduct, even in the winter. Especially in the winter in fact...the inner track will always be a personal favorite of mine.

Ah, the days of Oscar Barrera, Murray Garren, Pete Ferriola, Joe Trovato, Bob DeBonis, John Wenner. Big fields, good prices. Taking the"A" train and getting free admission at Aqueduct when the temp went below 20 degrees.