PDA

View Full Version : Things I'd like to see befor I die.......won't happen!

bdhsheets
04-21-2001, 04:47 PM
1. Time to disband the NTRA and start over. Their monopolistic tendencies are frightening. Let the market place decide which on-line betting services will flourish/decline. They should have set up guidelines to make sure the home track gets a bigger share of the betting dollar instead of setting up their own wagering hub trying to force bettors to use them.

The NTRA was formed to help horseracing become more popular. They have failed miserably. They can't even persuade ESPN to show weekend stakes on Sports Center. How many times do you have to see Joe Shmoe hit a home run? These guys have lost all focus except fattening their own wallets.

2. Another NTRA failure, but a gigantic industry problem is racing integrity. The least they can do is have every track have a camera right on the wire. No explanations that the camera angle made it look like horse A won but in reality horse B did. The talk in the crowd by patrons of "FIX" is undeniable. The technology is there, no more excuses puhleeeeeeeeeeze!

3. If the industry was really serious about integrity, they would spend more and update testing procedures for drug use. No more excuses that someone somewhere lost the sample for a double blind test, which has happened with some high profile trainers. Whats to be afraid of? Let the chips fall where they may. If Lukas or someone else gets banned/jailed the "better" it will be for the sport.

4. They could put little monitors on each horse to get an accurate view of how he/she ran for each point of call. The technology for this has been there for quite some time.

5. Have every track owner attend customer service/awareness classes and bring those principals back to the track and instill them unto their employees.

6. Reasonable prices for concessions. If the track is dependant upon concessions to stay in business, they might as well shutter the doors.

7. Tellers! My god!!!!!!!!! Tell the unoins to take a hike. Just because some of these jokers have been there 40 years doesn't make them a good teller. When will the track operators realize that these guys that are slower than me stumbling through a snow drift, don't see too well and look dazed and confused, are costing them money!

There are several tellers I look for on track or the OTB. I'll know they will get the job done when it's close to crunch time. Everyone should go out of their way and know who they are. BTW don't forget to tip them and let them know they're doing a good job.

That's enough for now, just letting off some steam. My little wish list is just that and will never be implemented, siiiiiigh!

May they all come home safely!

Regards,

bdhsheets

Observer
04-21-2001, 05:11 PM
bdhsheets,

You've caught me on a bad day. Sorry, but was it really necessary to single out Lukas and generalize the rest of the trainers in the game by saying "or someone else" with regard to #3 on your wish list.

Regardless if there is a camera right on the line, I still think eyes can play tricks on people, and the problem will never be solved. Nothing can take the place of the photo finish picture, a picture which can not be altered. Unless there is some photo shop genius that has mastered the ability to "fix" a photo in a few short minutes. (Yeah, right!!!)

Little monitors on each horse?? Explain how this would work at your track.

Reasonable prices for concessions. Tell me what sporting event has reasonable prices for concessions??!!

And your gripe about tellers ... you could make that same arguement for any union in any industry. I've never been a fan of the seniority system for the very reason you stated. Just because someone has been doing the job longer than me does not make them a more valuable worker, and should not allow them to be favored over me if I'm doing a job above and beyond anything they could ever even hope to accomplish.

Excuse me, I'm just letting off a little steam myself.

Tom
04-21-2001, 07:43 PM
Let me add a couple to your list

8. NTRA showing raccing commercials on something other than a racing show-where they might actually
someone to the sport.
9. When a trainer is suspended for whatever, also suspend the owner and the horse. As it is, all the jerks have to do is get some one else to saddle them up. If the owners and their entire stables get days, wathc how fast some of these cheaters get replaced.
10. Timing for each individual horse, no relying on some one's guess as to how far back a horse was and then figure a fifth a length. they do in other sports so there is no excuse for not doing it here.
11. Florida to learn how to time races period.
12. Post times coordinated so that 9 tracks don't all go to post at the same minute.
13. Scratches announced before noon.
14. Some peole who actually know about horse racing to host all the TV coverage.
15. Track programs that actuall fit into your pocket.
16. Progressive drug penalties-1st offense, 5 days,
2nd offense LIFETIME 30 days, 3rd offense LIFETIME
60 days, with eventually lifetime bans from the sport.
(before everyone gets in a tizzy, sensible drug policy and testing have to go with this. Poppy seed bagels can cause a positive, so the sport has to get serious about what is allowed, what is casusing the problems, and the eriously attack it)
Tom

smf
04-21-2001, 07:57 PM
Observer,

The "little monitors" he spoke of....... There's a product that Texas Instruments mfg's that can satisfy the need. TIRIS is a program they were high on ten yrs ago and is a great product. If you have a "pay at the pump" tag from Mobil, the chip inside the plug is TIRIS.

TIRIS is also used down here for 10k/ 5k runs. The chip is inserted into a race number tag and when you cross the finish line, your "time" is recorded electronically. No longer any need for a multitude of volunteers to tear off the tab from runners race #s when you cross the line.

The question becomes this; Who w/ pay for the TIRIS chips? If bdhsheets doesn't like paying $3 for a coke, how does $4 sound?

smf
04-21-2001, 08:07 PM
bdhsheets, Tom

Hey, shouldn't you be taking this up with Don Alvey and the nhpc? They are working for you, you know!

Why, in my own back yard (Lone Star) since the nhpc began, each and every ticket for live racing WENT UP at least a buck! Man, if the nhpc hadn't come along I shudder to think of how much the tix had gone up.

Cough, hack, spit.

Think I'll keep that $25 membership fee in my wallet to offset the costs of going to the races.

Tom
04-21-2001, 09:17 PM
Nothing scars me more than some one trying to help me.
As to who will pay for the gizmos to accurately time races?
How about DRF or Equibase?
DRF is getting a cool $5.00 per form nowadays.
How about NTRA? Cut out the stupid comercials and put the money to good use.

Observer
04-21-2001, 09:50 PM
Oh, thanks smf! The word "view" threw me off on that one concerning monitors ... you know ... view, monitors ... I thought it had a tv type relation.

Guess my next question would have to be, where would you put these monitors on the horse? On his nose? Afterall, it's the horse's nose crossing the line that breaks the photo finishes. You certainly wouldn't want to lose precious hundreths of a second.

smf
04-21-2001, 10:06 PM
After re reading his post, I think you're right. Talk about jacking up cost... Who would pay for the video costs? $5 cokes, maybe?

Hmm, Observer you've got me stumped on the placement of the chip. I had thought inside the saddlecloth, but obviously that won't work for a lack of accuracy. On second thought I honestly don't know of a way it can work.

I was thinking TIRIS c/b best used to take "splits", not as a replacement for photo finishes. Even then, the "transmitter" w/ need a clean shot at the chip. Any horse 2 or 3 wide w/ have no registered entry. No big deal, but it means it won't take away the need for a chart caller which was one (financial) reason to use TIRIS.

If anyone knows of a way this COULD work I'm all ears. On the bright side, cokes will stay $3 for now.

Observer
04-21-2001, 10:30 PM
smf,

Although I didn't go into great detail about it, I was using the photo finish to show how I didn't think the chip would be effective. Maybe trainers could let their horses whiskers grow real long and they could tie the chip from those whiskers? LOL

Or, how about going to something like the numbers harness horses wear over their heads? I haven't watched a harness race closely in a long time, but I do remember the numbers just seemed to hover over the horses heads between their ears. Maybe they could put the chips there?? ;)

Tom
04-21-2001, 11:18 PM
That's a good idea. I remeber those things.
Is that why they were called "jugheads??"
There could a a transmitter/reciever on top of the grandstand that provides a clear view of the "hats" as they run around the track. Then why limit it to three calls? they could have a velocity readout every 1/2 furlong or better. We could actually have a velocity plot of the race and of each horse!
Talk about a wish list!

Dave Schwatrz! Can you make continous pars for 30 points of call???? (probably cost 10 time what the one with three points cost, or more, with all the cokes he will have to drink putting these babies together).
Tom

Dave Schwartz
04-22-2001, 12:11 AM
Tom,

LOL - 30 points of call... And I suppose that you would want a Daily Variant Adjustment for each one. <G>

Tom
04-22-2001, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Tom,

LOL - 30 points of call... And I suppose that you would want a Daily Variant Adjustment for each one. <G>

If it's not too much trouble.......