PDA

View Full Version : Positive Thinking

traynor
10-12-2016, 09:26 AM
"Often when people fantasise about achieving their goals they may not exert enough effort to actually achieve them
They fantasise about it and then feel already accomplished and relax,” and lose the motivation it takes to make things happen"
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20161011-positive-thinking-can-make-you-too-lazy-to-meet-your-goals

The downside of telling your reflection in the mirror, "I am a WINNER!" Especially costly when accompanied by the I-Am-The-Sharpest-Tack-In-The-Box fantasy.

However, it may be that the "positive thinkers" and the "Sharpest Tacks" find more gratification in their fantasies of success than actually succeeding. I wish them well, and many more warm fuzzies of self-satisfaction.

After all, they can always find comfort and solace in the notion that, "It doesn't matter whether you win or lose. It's how you play the game that is important." Soma for losers.

Tom
10-12-2016, 09:36 AM
Jim the Hat Bradshaw used to tell a story about "Hookie the Bookie."
Hookie would look in the mirror ans say "I am a winner!"
And the mirror would reply, "Oh no you're not!":lol:

rsetup
10-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Affirmations actually work. Where's Light? From what I recall, he has a strong grasp as to the workings of the unconscious.

NorCalGreg
10-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Jim the Hat Bradshaw used to tell a story about "Hookie the Bookie."
Hookie would look in the mirror ans say "I am a winner!"
And the mirror would reply, "Oh no you're not!":lol:

That's funny :D

Robert Fischer
10-12-2016, 11:44 AM
1. Accurate insight into your abilities.
2. Confidence that your abilities will not be denied.

Robert Fischer
10-12-2016, 10:17 PM
1. Accurate insight into your abilities.
2. Confidence that your abilities will not be denied.

You have to understand the system, or understand that you do not understand the system.
You have to know your strengths and weaknesses.

There is a balance in confidence that comes with accurately knowing yourself. Taking your fair share.

It's like you are the first family member at the table to take a slice from the pumpkin pie.
You take too much, - and you are greedy! There's not enough left for the whole family. However, if you are scared, and take a 'sliver', you are going to bed hungry.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/iy096a.jpg