PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Heat Pensioned

SuperPickle
10-11-2016, 01:08 AM
So Unusual Heat was pensioned tonight. I know when most people are asked about the greatest claim ever the answer is usually Lava Man or a comparable animal. I've always felt strongly it was Unusual Heat. My logic is pretty sound. There's been numerous horses claimed that went on to win $100's of thousands dollars even a million. To my knowledge no one has ever claimed a $20k stallion.

When you look at what they've made off this horse from the day they claimed him he made his owners the most money over the longest time line. He was the gift that kept giving. Even after the millions in stud fees they made they also breed a bunch of their mares to him and won a bunch of stakes some of them graded.

Not to mention his babies owned the hill.

Rise Over Run
10-11-2016, 10:01 PM
So Unusual Heat was pensioned tonight. I know when most people are asked about the greatest claim ever the answer is usually Lava Man or a comparable animal. I've always felt strongly it was Unusual Heat. My logic is pretty sound. There's been numerous horses claimed that went on to win $100's of thousands dollars even a million. To my knowledge no one has ever claimed a $20k stallion.

When you look at what they've made off this horse from the day they claimed him he made his owners the most money over the longest time line. He was the gift that kept giving. Even after the millions in stud fees they made they also breed a bunch of their mares to him and won a bunch of stakes some of them graded.

Great story, but he was claimed for a lot more than $20k.

horses4courses
10-11-2016, 10:50 PM

What did they make off this guy at stud?
Ballpark even,

Terrific California stallion. :ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall
10-11-2016, 10:55 PM
What did they make off this guy at stud?
Ballpark even,

Terrific California stallion. :ThmbUp:

According to Bloodhorse, as of March 1, 2016, "Perennial California leading sire Unusual Heat has passed the $50 million mark, in cumulative progeny earnings".

horses4courses
10-11-2016, 11:02 PM
According to Bloodhorse, as of March 1, 2016, "Perennial California leading sire Unusual Heat has passed the $50 million mark, in cumulative progeny earnings".

Thanks RR - what an earner!

When I think Unusual Heat, I think Barry Abrams.
He got some excellent winners through UH.

SG4
10-11-2016, 11:03 PM

Believe he means a stallion who stood for 20k, not the price of the claim

SuperPickle
10-11-2016, 11:28 PM

I think you misread. He stood for $20k at least his last 3-4 years. He was claimed for $80k.

SuperPickle
10-11-2016, 11:34 PM

It's almost impossible to ballpark how much a stallion generates revenue wise. I can say this. He stood for $20k his last 3-4 years. Even if he averaged 50 mares which super is conservative that's a million a year so $3-$4 million in revenue.

Add on to that another 10+ years at stud. Add on to it all the money they made with the home breds from him. $10 million might be high but $5 million might be super conservative.

From an ROI perspective probably the greatest claim of all time.