PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Pryor, 60

PhantomOnTour
10-10-2016, 09:27 PM
A fantastic boxer, remembered most for his epic defeat of champion Alexis Arguello in 1982, a fight that has gone down as one of the greatest bouts of all time.

Pryor died Sunday of difficulties from heart disease, which he battled for a long time.
A serious fighter who basically charged you when the bell rang and just kept coming, throwing punches from everywhere.
Cocaine addiction derailed his career and I think he spent quite a long time in jail.

Great fighter

ReplayRandall
10-10-2016, 09:41 PM
A fantastic boxer, remembered most for his epic defeat of champion Alexis Arguello in 1982, a fight that has gone down as one of the greatest bouts of all time.

Pryor died Sunday of difficulties from heart disease, which he battled for a long time.
A serious fighter who basically charged you when the bell rang and just kept coming, throwing punches from everywhere.
Cocaine addiction derailed his career and I think he spent quite a long time in jail.

Great fighter

Pound for pound, with an unmatched streak of 26 straight KO's, best ever was Aaron Pryor....RIP Champ

CincyHorseplayer
10-10-2016, 10:15 PM
We lost a good one here in this city. I remember seeing those fights as a kid. He was vicious! Later on I had a buddy that used to box and I would be an assistant in his corner and was one of his sparring partners occasionally but anyway we needed gyms to work out at and we'd bump into Pryor at Findlay Street. He was a nice guy and funny guy. Am glad to say I got to meet him. My uncle Bob ran into him in a bar a few years ago and he expressed his admiration. A week later Pryor gave him an autographed photo.

magwell
10-10-2016, 10:39 PM
I've been to many fights in my life, but Pryor vs Arguello at the Orange Bowl was one of the best I've ever witnessed. "The Hawk" was one of the best ever, may he RIP ......

Tor Ekman
10-11-2016, 10:49 AM
RIP . . . but what was in that bottle that Panama Lewis mixed for him?

ronsmac
10-11-2016, 12:37 PM
One of my all time favorites. I had a Great Aunt from Cincinnati and she told me about Pryor before he ever won the title. Pure aggression and energy.I would've loved to have seen him fight Leonard, Duran or Benitez. All 3 of those would have been intriguing fights.

pandy
10-11-2016, 04:14 PM
He was an amazing fighter. The first time I watched him fight, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like the first time I went to Aqueduct to watch Ruffian.

RaceBookJoe
10-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Just seeing this, was one of my favorite boxers back in that era. RIP