PDA

View Full Version : For good laugh look at First Lady Stakes chart!

linrom1
10-09-2016, 12:44 AM
I can't say enough at how disappointed I am at Tepin's loss. The way that she lost is astounding. She was beaten by 10 lengths at 3/4.

She ran a mile in 1:36 1/5, that's a time Calder horses would be ashamed off.
What was Leparoux doing?

sammy the sage
10-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Doing as instructed....this race was NOT the target...if she was going to go all out...would've been in the Shadwell mile for million bucks...and been favored there as well...

this BC is going to be VERY interesting...

Inner Dirt
10-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Doing as instructed....this race was NOT the target...if she was going to go all out...would've been in the Shadwell mile for million bucks...and been favored there as well...

I have never been privy to inside information, but common sense tells me a trainer would not enter a $400k race as a tune up. Maybe an insider can correct me if I am wrong.

TravisVOX
10-09-2016, 09:05 AM
Pretty significant overreaction happening here.

The winner ran a bang-up race and deserved it. Tepin was ridden confidently, perhaps too much so, and was left with too much to do. Despite the pace, she still came running at the end. The top two ran well.

And if you listened to the interviews after the race, she was not fully cranked.

Oh, and Tepin would beat any horse on the grounds at Calder by no less than 30 lengths.

infrontby1
10-09-2016, 09:26 AM

I totally agree with Sammy...

It's plausible to find out after the race when the ass't trainer is being interviewed on national TV that she wasn't being asked at all to run her best and the jockey didn't want to push her extensively through the stretch so she would have more gas left in the tank for the big dance in four weeks.

That's just what the hundred of thousands of $$$ that she was singled in all of the horizontal and vertical wagers by the bettors like to hear. Very comforting, indeed.

linrom1
10-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Actually her trainer's objective was to win the WOODBINE MILLION. Casse is Canadian and Woodbine based trainer(he didn't even bother going to Keenland)?

It's a shame that this guy can't even appreciate the tens of thousands of fans that this horse has garnered! What a selfish and conceited piece of narcissistic lump of dead wood this guy is. He should REFUND every single bettor!

The First Lady was just FINAL 2f work out. In the Woodbine Mile they went 3/4 MILE in 1:10 2/5 and TEPIN was third trailing the leader by 1 length. In the FIRST LADY they went 3/4 MILE in 1:10 3/5, but TEPIN was 3rd by 10 lengths--she was out for a breeze. LEPAROUX was glued to CELESTINE who was also out for a breeze in 2nd and made everyone follow her like ducklings.

CASSE must have been so intimidated by Mott's touting that his filly CELESTINE ran a superior race that he told LEPAROUX to stick to her, but, it looks like CELESTINE was also prepping for BC after sitting on the shelf since June - a perfect example of sheep blindly walking off the cliff.

However, DESORMEAUX perfectly anticipated what would happen: he disregarded PLETCHER's instructions and sprinted out PHOTO CALL to the lead, all out.

CASSE you can kiss my behind, as a trainer you don't deserve to manage horses like TEPIN, CLASSIC EMPIRE AND CATCH A GLIMPSE.

It took you three races to even put blinkers on CLASSIC EMPIRE even after he veered at the starting gate every time.

classhandicapper
10-09-2016, 10:01 AM
She's had a pretty tough campaign and was vulnerable to setback at some point anyway, but I suspect Casse wanted an easy race for her before the BC Mile. That's why he didn't run her against the boys again. The question now is whether she's a little over the top or whether he eased off the gas for this race and will crank her up to 100% again for the Mile.

the little guy
10-09-2016, 10:10 AM
Actually her trainer's objective was to win the WOODBINE MILLION. Casse is Canadian and Woodbine based trainer(he didn't even bother going to Keenland)?

..and here I thought your initial post was going to be the least accurate post in this thread.

Silly me.

Exotic1
10-09-2016, 10:47 AM

The winner ran a bang-up race and deserved it. Tepin was ridden confidently, perhaps too much so, and was left with too much to do. Despite the pace, she still came running at the end. The top two ran well.

And if you listened to the interviews after the race, she was not fully cranked.

Oh, and Tepin would beat any horse on the grounds at Calder by no less than 30 lengths.

I hear you.

But, it would be nice if the host track, trainer, owner(s), jockey gave these interviews before the race. It may not have made much of a difference to both the players that bet her (they may have bet her in spite of any disclosure) or bet against her with the BC around the corner; but still. Putting the Calder reference aside, I'm not so sure this would rate as an overreaction. I think airing this disclosure only after the race, deserves a reaction.

BTW, our own Double R (RR - Replay Randall) thought the connections hadn't tightened the screws beginning with her prior race.

cj
10-09-2016, 11:15 AM
I can't say enough at how disappointed I am at Tepin's loss. The way that she lost is astounding. She was beaten by 10 lengths at 3/4.

She ran a mile in 1:36 1/5, that's a time Calder horses would be ashamed off.
What was Leparoux doing?

Wasn't the race much faster than the Shadwell Mile?

Exotic1
10-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Yikes.

I thought Kent D. opened up too early.

Brilliant ride.

linrom1
10-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Yikes.

I thought Kent D. opened up too early.

Brilliant ride.

Here is a quote from Leparoux(idiot):

"I had to ride my own race," he said. "The winner got loose on the lead but other than that we had a good trip. There wasn't much I could do on the backside - I can't move that early.

Brilliant logic :lol: :lol: :lol:

All jockeys in BC just sprint all out, Leparoux is going to run his 3/4 MIle in 1:12 4/5 at Santa Anita :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyC
10-09-2016, 12:21 PM

Not fully cranked? She ran 3 weeks ago and we are talking about a turf horse. If this race wasn't a target why run her back in 3 weeks? My guess is that the jockey simply underestimated the winner expecting her to give it up in the stretch.

AndyC
10-09-2016, 12:24 PM

"I had to ride my own race," he said. "The winner got loose on the lead but other than that we had a good trip. There wasn't much I could do on the backside - I can't move that early.

All jockeys in BC just sprint all out, Leparoux is going to run his 3/4 MIle in 1:12 4/5 at Santa Anita :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really? How much turf racing do you watch?

outofthebox
10-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Not fully cranked? She ran 3 weeks ago and we are talking about a turf horse. If this race wasn't a target why run her back in 3 weeks? My guess is that the jockey simply underestimated the winner expecting her to give it up in the stretch.Exactly. A trainer can not crank and un crank a horse once it is dead fit. You can back off the speed works a bit, but the horse will keep it's fitness. She was second best today behind a freaking winner, and was cautiously ridden till he realized his mistake at the 3/8 pole. Move onto to the BC.

Exotic1
10-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Here's the bottom line the way I see it...

There are at least three scenarios:

1) Trainer intentionally didn't want Tepin to run her "A" game, meaning he hadn't conditioned her to run her best race yesterday. Under that assumption the jock absolutely can not rush her. You let her run her sub "A" race and if she wins fine, if not they show up for the BC. Under this assumption you can't blame jock. I don't mean you of course. I have no right to tell you who to critique or to not critique. If I had the right I wouldn't. You bet your money.

2) Trainer conditioned her and expected her to run her "A" race. Under this assumption we can debate if the ride the jockey her gave a good ride.

3) The race comes back very fast and Tepin may have run close to something of her "A" game and Photo Call ran beyond huge. Within this scenario there are a couple of sub categories but Belmont is about to start running their races and I'm out.

Tom
10-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Lots of so-called "champions" have been beaten the last couple of weeks.
what is disturbing to me is that the common replis by the connections is that, well this wasn't the goal....yadda yadda yadda.

The BC has pretty much destroyed racing and made all these Graded stakes a joke. None of them matter at all anymore. They should not be graded if they aren't the goal.

There used to be a great fall championship season where the best showed up to take on the best. Now, the fall championship season has as much integrity as pre-season football.

Look at Runhappy - spends more time in his stall than on the track. All that advertising on TVG and the bum can't even hit the board. Now he will show up and maybe win one freaking race and get called a great one?

Give me the horses who show up all year and race, win some. lose some.

ubercapper
10-10-2016, 11:40 AM

I'd say so. Photo Call earned a 128 Equibase Figure, 109 Beyer, for her effort. Miss Temple City earned a 114 Equibase Figure, 106 Beyer.

The 128 Equibase Figure for Photo Call is the best to date in North American this year so personally I think Tepin ran her race, against a freakish effort.

green80
10-10-2016, 12:29 PM
I have never been privy to inside information, but common sense tells me a trainer would not enter a $400k race as a tune up. Maybe an insider can correct me if I am wrong.

I am privy to a lot of inside information (locally, not about this race) and I can tell you that you are not wrong. Rarely does a trainer enter a big race where they think that they do not have a shot.

CosmicWon
10-11-2016, 01:06 AM
I saw the race in person and my non-fancy two cents observation is that

A) Tepin was ready to run and fit off the WO sojourn where she maybe wasn't 100%

B) I ABSOLUTELY think they (TAP/Kent) took a page out of what they learned with Isabella Sings when she opened up a similar lead against Tepin going hell-bent-for-leather fractions down at Tampa earlier this year. Tepin had to set a track record that day to beat Isabella and just got up in time to do so.

C) Julien thought (as many of us did) that Celestine would be on the lead. When Kent saw she wasn't going to be aggressively setting the pace, he took full advantage and took the race to them instead.

D) Photo Call gave em the slip before the rest of the jockeys caught on. Julien thought wrong that he could catch her just like he did Isabella but alas not today.

E) Notice Tepin was the ONLY horse to really make up ground and was seriously gaining on Photo Call at the end running at her in space while the rest of continued their merry go round towards the back.

I think Tepin will be just fine for the BC and I liked this effort as being sneaky good. She's a Champion with plenty of fight and talent left in her and it'll take another aberration to beat her at SA.

PS FWIW they said Mark Casse wasn't there because he was watching over their horse farm down in Ocala as the Hurricane was passing over Florida. Norm trains Tepin anyway for the most part.

Exotic1
10-11-2016, 08:19 AM
I saw the race in person and my non-fancy two cents observation is that

A) Tepin was ready to run and fit off the WO sojourn where she maybe wasn't 100%

B) I ABSOLUTELY think they (TAP/Kent) took a page out of what they learned with Isabella Sings when she opened up a similar lead against Tepin going hell-bent-for-leather fractions down at Tampa earlier this year. Tepin had to set a track record that day to beat Isabella and just got up in time to do so.

C) Julien thought (as many of us did) that Celestine would be on the lead. When Kent saw she wasn't going to be aggressively setting the pace, he took full advantage and took the race to them instead.

D) Photo Call gave em the slip before the rest of the jockeys caught on. Julien thought wrong that he could catch her just like he did Isabella but alas not today.

E) Notice Tepin was the ONLY horse to really make up ground and was seriously gaining on Photo Call at the end running at her in space while the rest of continued their merry go round towards the back.

I think Tepin will be just fine for the BC and I liked this effort as being sneaky good. She's a Champion with plenty of fight and talent left in her and it'll take another aberration to beat her at SA.

PS FWIW they said Mark Casse wasn't there because he was watching over their horse farm down in Ocala as the Hurricane was passing over Florida. Norm trains Tepin anyway for the most part.

Good post. :ThmbUp:

In post race interview, Kent said that TAP's instructions were to get "cover" but "that wasn't happening, Todd". As you said, Kent called an audible, a brilliant one I thought. I thought he opened up just a little too much early, but Photo Call ran huge. As Cj pointed out, the pace and final time of the First Lady was much stronger than the Shadwell which makes Photo Call's performance insane. Considering the pace Photo Call put up, Tepin had to close into it.