PDA

View Full Version : Dave Hawk Faces New Charges

Zman179
07-16-2004, 09:15 PM
From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Ohio-based driver Dave Hawk, who was already facing a lifetime ban by the Ohio State Racing Commission, has been reportedly told by the Commission that he is facing a second lifetime ban and fine of $170,000 for allegedly betting against himself in races at Northfield Park last year.

According to reports, Hawk met with Commission executive director Sam Zonak on Thursday and heard charges that he made 17 wagers on horses other than the ones he was driving through either a phone wagering account or via the Internet. Allegations included Hawk's placing of bets by cell phone while he was at Northfield Park driving. Each of the alleged bets could result in a lifetime ban and fine of $10,000, thus the total amount of the fine of $170,000.

Both the Cleveland Plain Dealer and Columbus Dispatch reported Friday that Hawk wagered anywhere from $10 to $50 against his own mount, with most of the bets being two-horse $10 exacta boxes. Allegedly, Hawk wagered $340 on races at Northfield in February, March and October of 2003, with his winning tickets returning $475, giving him a profit of $135.

Hawk usually drove a longshot in the races that he allegedly wagered on. In one instance, he allegedly placed a $10 exacta wager on the favorite to win and a 23-1 longshot to finish second, in a race in which he was driving the second favorite. He finished third behind those two horses, with the net result being Hawk's cashing of $322 for his bet.

Hawk was asked to leave Northfield Park following a suspicious race last January. He was later suspended by the Ohio Commission but appealed and is currently racing at Raceway Park in Toledo. He competed one night recently at Scioto Downs but only in Sire Stakes competition. After hearing the charges against him Thursday, Hawk drove later that night at the Paulding fair.

sq764
07-17-2004, 09:45 AM
I was trying to act shocked as I read this, but rather, found myself going "Uh huh, right... that makes sense.. I think I remember that race..."

This guy is all that is bad in racing.. All the Northfield connections have had ugly histories (Hawk, Panteleano, Grismore, Tharps)... I think Brett Miller may be the only one who's stayed relatively clean.

Tom
07-17-2004, 11:15 AM
A second lifetime ban? does mean his SON cannot frive either? :D

sq764
07-17-2004, 11:39 AM
I think a second lifetime ban means he is now only allowed to drive at Pompano Park and Woodbine..

Figman
07-17-2004, 11:50 AM
You left out a track....Rockingham Park...where the less than elite meet!

sq764
07-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I actually think Rockingham is like the Northern version of Pompano (Ranger, Ingraham, etc..)