PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2016-17

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ldiatone
10-06-2016, 02:41 PM
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/The-412/October-2016/Watch-Pittsburgh-Penguins-Stanley-Cup-Visit-White-House/

OTM Al
10-06-2016, 02:45 PM
A couple more days to bask in that one, then new season here at last. Metro division should be a bear this year. Expect 5 teams in playoffs again like last year. Hopeful the Isles continue to move forward. Think they can cover for the off season losses in regulation but they lost two top shootout guys in Okposo and Nielsen and every point is going to count this year.

Greyfox
10-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Connor McDavid has been named by the Edmonton Oilers as Captain.
Connor is the youngest Captain ever in the history of the NHL.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-make-connor-mcdavid-youngest-captain-nhl-history/

Greyfox
10-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Former first round #1 draft pick Nail Yakupov has been traded by the Edmonton Oilers to the St. Louis Blues for a bucket of pucks so to speak.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-trade-forward-nail-yakupov-blues/

MutuelClerk
10-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Auston 2016.

On pace to score about 450 goals.

This season.

No pressure.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

MutuelClerk
10-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Still on pace.

Two more in the second period.

GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OTM Al
10-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Well, Toronto has one good player....he's going to have to deal with a lot of losing this year again but maybe they will finally go in the right direction.

ldiatone
10-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Raising the banners tonite! GO PENS! Two in a row! ps crosby out first game. concussion on fri. but skated past 2 days

OTM Al
10-13-2016, 02:13 PM
Raising the banners tonite! GO PENS! Two in a row! ps crosby out first game. concussion on fri. but skated past 2 days
I'd be pretty worried about him right now and would not rush him back. He's had a few already and a hard hit this close to the last could end his career. Love to root against him but don't want to see him have to leave the game because of this.

MutuelClerk
10-19-2016, 11:08 PM
The Leafs have played three games this season. In two of the three they've had 4-0 leads and lost in OT. But the standings say were undefeated. Hockey's version of political correctness. Weird.

Laine= Sniper.

woodtoo
10-23-2016, 11:47 AM
Were dreaming of 77 here in the Peg, goals that is.
Laine is some kind of special. :ThmbUp: Heritage Classic should be very entertaining this afternoon.

Greyfox
10-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Were dreaming of 77 here in the Peg, goals that is.
Laine is some kind of special. :ThmbUp: Heritage Classic should be very entertaining this afternoon.

Laine is special. So is Matthews, McDavid, and Gaudreau.
The last two years have seen some pretty exciting young players come into the league.
Today Laine vs McDavid in the 'Peg.
Personally, I'm not a fan of these outdoors games.
But it is what it is.

woodtoo
10-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Yesterdays game was a lot of fun the Great One's last sadly. Hoping the ice is as good today.

woodtoo
10-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Game delayed because of weather, its too nice. :lol: 8 Celsius 46 f
waiting for cloud cover.

Greyfox
10-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Game delayed because of weather, its too nice. :lol: 8 Celsius 46 f
waiting for cloud cover.

I think they are waiting for the shadow of the stadium to fall on the ice surface.

MutuelClerk
10-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Laine is special. So is Matthews, McDavid, and Gaudreau.
The last two years have seen some pretty exciting young players come into the league.
Today Laine vs McDavid in the 'Peg.
Personally, I'm not a fan of these outdoors games.
But it is what it is.

I'd add Eichel and hopefully Marner to the list and go one more year back and add Mackinnon. The greatest sporting event I ever attended was the Winter Classic at the Big House. The respect in the crowd for each other and the game was amazing. The weather was brutal but part of the fun.

Greyfox
10-23-2016, 06:18 PM
I'd add Eichel and hopefully Marner to the list and go one more year back and add Mackinnon. The greatest sporting event I ever attended was the Winter Classic at the Big House. The respect in the crowd for each other and the game was amazing. The weather was brutal but part of the fun.

Yeah, those outdoor games might be fun if you're there in person.
At home, the TV isn't as good and sometimes the ice seems slower.
Also on the TV you don't hear as much crowd roar that you do in Arenas.
They 1. make money for the teams and 2. seem to sell hockey to non-fans.
But for me, they are a cup of tea that I don't want.

HoofedInTheChest
11-01-2016, 06:16 PM
A lot of royalty is in town tonight to catch the showdown between the two #1 draft picks. Gretzky, Orr, Coffey etc flew in to watch McDavid and Mathews in their only meeting of the season.

From what i have seen from the Leaf rookies so far this season, i would have to say that McDavid will school the Leafs tonight, the Leafs are a great skating team but not at the level of McDavid' speed. Oddly enough, Mathew's has better possession numbers than McDavid, but i still think McD is on another level than everyone else.

The one Leaf that has flown under the radar is Mitch Marner, he has been snake bitten so far in the goal department, but i think he has been the better player between Mathews, Nylander, and Marner. Every time he touches the puck it's magic, it's just a matter of time before the goals start coming. He leads the team in blocked shots unlike Willie "Double Flamingo" Nylander, and plays the wing like a centreman, his 200 foot game has been impressive for a rookie. His edgework is outstanding, we saw that in junior but it has evolved even more over the summer, he's an elusive skater with the ability to side step a hit, and seems to be one step ahead of the forechecker, his weight is a non issue in my opinion. I believe he will finish the season with more points than Mathews or Nylander.

The Leafs goaltending and defense has been brutal this season, i have to go with the Oilers tonight.

Edmonton -1.5

woodtoo
11-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Yikes 16 games in 29 day for the Jets in November beginning with Ovechkin
and his Capitals. A couple great looking games. Go Oilers/Jets.

Greyfox
11-01-2016, 08:08 PM
A lot of royalty is in town tonight to catch the showdown between the two #1 draft picks. Gretzky, Orr, Coffey etc flew in to watch McDavid and Mathews in their only meeting of the season.

Both teams up for this one.
Currently Leafs 1 Oilers 0.

Jess Hawsen Arown
11-01-2016, 10:16 PM
The Rangers are looking scary good early with their new kids.

Yeah, I know, its November.

MutuelClerk
11-12-2016, 12:07 AM
Loved Pat Quinn. Respect Eric Lindros but this is the weakest HOF class in a long time.

Greyfox
11-15-2016, 12:12 PM
If you are into Hockey statistics for player or team comparisons, there's some awfully good stuff at:

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php

MutuelClerk
11-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Hoofed, I owe you an apology. When the Leafs drafted Marner I was okay with his talent having watched him in London a couple times. The year before the Leafs drafted Nylander who is on the smaller side much like Marner. I thought we needed more size. We still need size but Marner is a STUD. MY favorite Leaf to watch. He knows where every player is at all times. Wise beyond his young years. He's going to be a very special player. It's a lot of fun watching this team play.

HoofedInTheChest
11-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Hoofed, I owe you an apology. When the Leafs drafted Marner I was okay with his talent having watched him in London a couple times. The year before the Leafs drafted Nylander who is on the smaller side much like Marner. I thought we needed more size. We still need size but Marner is a STUD. MY favorite Leaf to watch. He knows where every player is at all times. Wise beyond his young years. He's going to be a very special player. It's a lot of fun watching this team play.
He puts a smile on my face every time he touches the puck, i expected something special from Marner this season but he has exceeded my expectations. I can just imagine how good he will be a year or two from now after he mature's, i foresee him being our franchise player.

The other two rooks should be paying attention to what Marner is doing, they have been playing on the peripheral and not engaging in the dirty areas. I will cut Mathew's some slack seeing that he is adjusting to centre at the NHL level, (and he has made great strides) but Nylander plays like a bitch...... Kessel 2.0

Babcock: I’ve never coached a kid that good that young just because I’ve never been in that situation before. [Stanislav] Chistov, when I was in Anaheim, had an unbelievable first year playing with [Samuel] Pahlsson and Stumpy Thomas. He was an unbelievable player for us there in the playoffs, but he still wasn’t at this level.

HoofedInTheChest
11-21-2016, 10:27 AM
I see that Dylan Strome has been sent back to junior after registering 1 assist in 7 games. Having said that, in a re-draft, does Arizona still take Strome over Marner?

I'm amazed that Strome only got into 7 games with the struggling Coyotes, you would think that the Yotes would want to inject some offence into a lousy lineup, or at least give Strome some time to develop in the NHL. It looks like the game plan for the Yotes is to tank this season, or the Yotes simply don't want to burn a year of his ELC in a "tank year". The Islanders might have something to say about that, mind you the Yotes and Islanders have games in hand over Vancouver and Buffalo and Calgary....... sorry to hear that Al.

I hear that the players on the Islanders are not to pleased with the new facility in Brooklyn, worst ice in the NHL. I hope that doesn't affect the Islanders ability in resigning Tavares, that would be unfortunate if he went elsewhere. :cool:

woodtoo
11-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Panthers are officially on the hot seat after firing Gerard Gallant! :ThmbDown:
What are they smoking down there? After being runner up for coach of the year in 2016 he gets axed :eek: 103 points.
22 games in. GM Vinnie Viola cant sing his way out of this inane move.
RIP Panthers.

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 11:09 AM
What are they smoking down there? After being runner up for coach of the year in 2016 he gets axed :eek: 103 points.
RIP Panthers.

Vinnie Viola owns the team. Tom Rowe is the General Manager.
Either Viola or Rowe or both read an analytics baseball book "The Only Rule..." and for whatever reason wanted to go in a different direction.
This started last season when Dale Tallon was booted upstairs.
Dumb and dumber.
Now they intend to take a high analytics approach to the game. :rolleyes:
Gallant didn't want to do that. He just wanted more heft on some of his positions.
The book they read is
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-only-rule-is-it/9781627795647-item.html

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Another evening of potentially exciting hockey with Toronto visiting Edmonton.
McDavid vs Matthews
The last time these teams played Nazem Kadri did a number on McDavid- hounded him all night.
We'll see if McDavid lets that happen again or if he learned something the first time.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 12:38 PM
RIP Panthers.
Not to mention they gave Gallant a 2 year extension last summer. I’ve never understood why organizations do this when they intend on axing the coach.

Greyfox sums it up perfectly, it was a difference in philosophy’ between the coaching staff and management.

What bothers me is the way they went about it, they axed him with all the media present after the game, no class. Then the POS organization doesn’t provide any transportation after the game, they handed him his bags and told him to beat it. He had to hail a cab with all of the vulture’s looking on, then he had to pay for his own flight home. Any organization with an ounce of class would have called a town car and arranged a flight for the 2 coach’s. The cherry on the cake came the very next morning, when the GM got up in front of the media and said they would be reimbursing Gallant the $17 for the cab ride, are you f’n kidding me?

woodtoo
11-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Either Viola or Rowe or both read an analytics baseball book "The Only Rule..." and for whatever reason wanted to go in a different direction.
Dumb and dumber.
Gallant didn't want to do that. He just wanted more heft on some of his positions.
The book they read is
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-only-rule-is-it/9781627795647-item.html
Is it too late to bring Joe Torre on board. :D Maybe have a designated hitter.

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 12:45 PM
Is it too late to bring Joe Torre on board. :D Maybe have a designated hitter.

Vegas should snap Gallant up.
The Panther management - owner and GM are idiots.
The team was only a win or two out of a playoff spot at the firing.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 01:01 PM
I agree about Vegas.

The general rule of thumb when a coach gets fired is to replace him with someone better, but Tom Rowe? The guy has never coached a game in the NHL..... The players aren’t very happy about the firing, good luck getting them to play for you, you’re not in Portland anymore.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Another evening of potentially exciting hockey with Toronto visiting Edmonton.
McDavid vs Matthews
The last time these teams played Nazem Kadri did a number on McDavid- hounded him all night.
We'll see if McDavid lets that happen again or if he learned something the first time.
Don’t you mean McDavid vs Marner? These two have a long history against each other.

Nylander is in Babcock’s doghouse these days after pulling himself out of the lineup before Saturday’s game, Babs was real happy about that. He’s been skating on the fourth line at practise ever since, and it looks like Soshnikov has taken his spot on the Mathew’s line.

I saw this last season on the Marlies, Nylander plays the game when he feels like it, and spends his time playing on the outside waiting for an outlet pass, and that just doesn’t cut it in the NHL. He doesn’t engage the puck battles and gets cold feet when he’s about to get lit up.

The difference between Marner and Nylander is that Marner will take a hit to make a play, and has an unequal drivetrain to go along with his elite skillset. Magic Mitch is leading all rookies in multiple point games, and needs one more to pass Vincent Damphousse on the all time Leaf list. Both Marner and McDavid have been going at it since the age of 9, with Marner coming up short most of the time, i expect a motivated Marner tonight.

It’s good to see Mathews driving the net these days, both him and Nylander were shooting from the outside and that won’t help your production at all.

Looking forward to the game tonight.

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Don’t you mean McDavid vs Marner?

No. NBC is showing the game nation wide in the States with the draw being the two number #1 picks McDavid and Matthews.
Marner is scoring well, but the "hype" are those two picks.

woodtoo
11-29-2016, 02:57 PM
And didn't Gallant recently sign an extension? If so he is in the drivers seat
between innings. Vegas would be crazy not to go for Gallant.

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 03:00 PM
And didn't Gallant recently sign an extension.

Yup. In January.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Vegas would be crazy not to go for Gallant.
It was reported that Vegas doesn’t have the budget to sign a coach right now, they will wait until the summer. I guess spending $500 Mill has taped them out for the time being, maybe they should ask their minority shareholder Jose Bautista for some scratch.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 03:26 PM
No. NBC is showing the game nation wide in the States with the draw being the two number #1 picks McDavid and Matthews.
Are you referring to the NBC sports channel? I'm not seeing the game listed on the network channel.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Marner, McDavid rivalry overshadowed by Matthews mania

http://www.tsn.ca/marner-mcdavid-rivalry-overshadowed-by-matthews-mania-1.619485

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Are you referring to the NBC sports channel? I'm not seeing the game listed on the network channel.

NBCSN

http://www.nbcsports.com/live

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 05:25 PM
NBCSN

http://www.nbcsports.com/live
10:00pm EST?

It looks like the Bruins/Flyers game is taking precedent, the Leaf game is either going to be joined in progress or on tape delay. I wouldn't exactly call that a marquee game.

I see that Tom Rowe's first game is against the Blackhawks tonight, we shall see how his analytics first philosophy pans out against an elite possession team. Q should have a field day against this rookie coach with the last change.

Greyfox
11-29-2016, 05:30 PM
10:00pm EST?

It looks like the Bruins/Flyers game is taking precedent, the Leaf game is either going to be joined in progress or on tape delay. I wouldn't exactly call that a marquee game.

NBCSN seldom covers two Canadian teams.
Remember: It is broadcasting to an American market.
Probably joined in progress as the game starts at 9 EST.

woodtoo
11-29-2016, 06:19 PM
It was reported that Vegas doesn’t have the budget to sign a coach right now, they will wait until the summer. I guess spending $500 Mill has taped them out for the time being, maybe they should ask their minority shareholder Jose Bautista for some scratch.
If he's under contract to the Panthers anyway maybe they can deeply analyze a way to share the costs.
Hellebyuck stood on his head against the Predators Sunday with a 3 nil shut out while being outshot 42 to 24 and Brian Little returns after going down in game 1.

MutuelClerk
11-29-2016, 06:23 PM
NBC broadcasting the rest of the Leafs-Oilers game is great. I doubt they are actually there live. They'll just take the feed from probably TSN and bore us in between periods with their takes ( Milbury is horrible).

I would think Lucic and others will be after Kadri tonight. As far as the Panthers go I agree with others here losing Gallant is a mistake. They had 103 pts last year and blew up their team. Why? I love analytics in baseball, but for whatever reason I trust them less in hockey. Maybe it's because unlike baseball you can be on offense and defense in the same shift. That should probably be a reason to trust these numbers more. But I don't.

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 07:31 PM
NBC broadcasting the rest of the Leafs-Oilers game is great. I doubt they are actually there live. They'll just take the feed from probably TSN and bore us in between periods with their takes ( Milbury is horrible).

I would think Lucic and others will be after Kadri tonight.
I don’t think Kadri will be an issue tonight, the Oilers have the last change which will leave Babs scrambling for the right match-ups.

The real match-up tonight will be McDavid vs Reilly/Zeitsev. If McDavid happens to be out there against the Polak/Hunwick tandem, we are doomed!

There is elite speed, and then there is McDavid speed, the Leafs 2nd and 3rd defence pairings don’t have the horsepower to deal with McDavid, and i think McLellan will try to exploit those particular pairings. That and the Leafs suck the big one on the road.

MutuelClerk
11-29-2016, 07:44 PM
Good point about last change. I'm not really sold on Reilly or Gardiner. Zeitsev has been pretty impressive for a rookie. Actually I like both our Russians a lot. Soshnikov plays with grit. You're right Hoofed, if Nylander played like this kid instead of just relying on god given abilities he'd be a very special player. It may come eventually Nylander is still very young. As of now he likes that cross ice pass from Matthews on the PP that seems to be his major contribution this season.

I remember the last time the Leafs and Oilers played, my favorite moment from that game was Connor Brown next to McDavid in the faceoff circle. Good friends from juniors and the smiles on their faces showed they appreciated being in the NHL. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoofedInTheChest
11-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Good point about last change. I'm not really sold on Reilly or Gardiner. Zeitsev has been pretty impressive for a rookie. Actually I like both our Russians a lot. Soshnikov plays with grit. You're right Hoofed, if Nylander played like this kid instead of just relying on god given abilities he'd be a very special player. It may come eventually Nylander is still very young. As of now he likes that cross ice pass from Matthews on the PP that seems to be his major contribution this season.

I remember the last time the Leafs and Oilers played, my favorite moment from that game was Connor Brown next to McDavid in the faceoff circle. Good friends from juniors and the smiles on their faces showed they appreciated being in the NHL. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m with you on Gardiner, i can’t stand his decision making and his lateral movement drives me nuts, but his advanced stats are impressive. I still want him gone though.....

I love Reilly, but i have come to the conclusion that he is a second pairing defenseman. The Leafs need 2 elite shut down defenseman on the top pairing, how they get those d-men is the million dollar question.

Fortunately for us, there is a massive log jam of wingers in the organization, and i believe some wingers will be moved for a defenseman or 2. Peter Holland is about to be traded or put on waivers, along with all the vets that are playing on the Marlies, mind you the vets are scrubs for the most part.

Kapanen and Leipsic have been lighting up the AHL this season, and deserve to be promoted to the big club, unfortunately there is no room for them. We have some good assets to trade with on the front end, but i don’t think the organization wants to part with any of the youngsters. That leaves guys like JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Komarov and a few others as trade assets, seeing that the team is still 2 years away from being competitive, and the older players will be past their prime.

woodtoo
12-01-2016, 07:15 PM
McDavid vs Sheiffele in Winnipeg top 2 NHL scoring leaders.

Patrik Laine leading rookie scorer with 13goal, 6 assist
Brian little making his second start since injury. Perreaut returns

HelleB on top of his game in net.....Jets by 2.

Greyfox
12-01-2016, 10:42 PM
...Jets by 2.

Nope.
Oilers 6, Jets 3

woodtoo
12-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Nope.
Oilers 6, Jets 3
Not there best game. Even when losing watching Patrik Laine is a joy.
16 goals and 7 assists if he picks up the pace even a little (or with Littles'help)
would love to see him contend for Selannes record 76 goals in 1992-93.
Jets handed Chicago a 4-0 drubbing recently and face them this evening in Chicago. Go Jets.

HoofedInTheChest
12-05-2016, 03:05 PM
After placing Enroth on waivers today, the Leafs have added yet another player to the long list of players they are paying to not play. It will be nice when this organization is free and clear from the past regimes mistakes.

Karri Ramo has been conveniently rehabbing an injury with the Leafs without a SPC, it amazes me the NHL or the PA hasn't come calling with some of the questionable CBA manouvers the Leafs have pulled off.

Damn, i just ordered my Enroth jersey, said no one ever.

Horton - 5.3
Cowen - 650K
Lupul - 5.25
Robidas - 3.0
Greening - 1.7
Laich - 3.55
Michalek - 3.05
Enroth - 750K
Holland - 1.3
Kessel - 1.2
Gleason - 1.33

woodtoo
12-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Wow how can they afford to pay two teams.
Jets pay O Pavelec, but at least he plays for the Manitoba Moose

HoofedInTheChest
12-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Come one, come all to Lou Lamoriello’s goalie emporium and discount winger shoppe, we're always ready to make a deal.

We’ve got a lightly used Holland! Never taken out by Babs except on weekends!
Josh "International Man of Injury Mystery" Lievo!
Buy two goalies, we’ll throw in a third one free!

And There’’s More!

You want veteran leadership, we’ve got veteran leadership to burn! We’ve got so much veteran leadership, we’ve had to stash them in the minors and not play them to preserve their value!

And That’s Not All!

For customers not faint of heart, do you dare sample the wares on Robidas Island? We can’t tell you what’s wrong with them, but they were good once. Some say its a gypsy curse, some say they ran afoul of the dark lord, some say they got hernias moving their wads of cash. Who knows?

Disclaimer: All products sold "as is". All sales final.

HoofedInTheChest
12-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Peter Holland was traded to Arizona for a conditional draft pick. This is welcome news in that it free's up some much needed cap space as well as opening up a roster spot for Josh Leivo. The Leafs were carrying (illegally) 24 players on a 23 man roster, you can only bullsh*t the league for so long with a bogus IR claim. As well, the cap space this free's up is beneficial due to many of our rookies destined to hit their performance bonuses this season.

An arbitrator sided with the Leafs earlier this week in the case of Jhared Cowen, he was healthy enough to be bought out last summer. More cap relief.....

In other news, Connor McDavid and Carey Price absolutely snapped last night, there's only so much you can take before you start drifting someone with your blocker, good for them, i love it.

Greyfox
12-09-2016, 03:34 PM
In other news, Connor McDavid

1. Brandon Manning never bothered to even send a get well card to McDavid last year after McDavid's collar bone was injured.

2. Don Cherry thought the injury was deliberate, but McDavid didn't.

3. Last night Manning chirped something at McDavid regarding the injury, most probably with the intent of getting under his skin.

4. Whatever Manning said infuriated McDavid, who then went on to get a goal and an assist. (What else is new?)

5. After the game McDavid said that Manning admitted intentionally wanting to injure him.
I doubt that Manning really wanted to injure McDavid, but he chirped words to that effect.

6. Later Manning denied saying that and said that the injury occurred when they lost a skate edge.

7. McDavid has to learn to ignore such lesser skilled, and lesser intelligent chirpers- or others in the league will get under his skin too.

https://www.nhl.com/news/connor-mcdavid-says-brandon-manning-intended-to-trip-him/c-284531398

HoofedInTheChest
12-09-2016, 04:52 PM
If there was still fighting in the game, players would stop taking liberties with the marquee talent. Nobody fears any retribution after the fact and most benches don't have a knuckler on hand to take care of these a-holes, and this will just escalate over time.

I said a couple of years ago that stickwork will become a problem when fighting is removed, and it has. If i had a dollar for every time i've seen someone slash a player over the hands, i'd be well off. I don't understand how the zebras are letting this go, you slash the stick, it gets called, you slash the hand, it's kosher..... figure that one out.

MutuelClerk
12-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Patrick Laine is quite the marksmen.

Even on his own net.

Oops.

What an odd play.

HoofedInTheChest
12-12-2016, 05:04 PM

Even on his own net.

Oops.

What an odd play.
Careful there Mutuel, Jets fans are uber-sensitive.

They actually think a winger can be compared to a centreman....

Greyfox
12-12-2016, 05:10 PM
At this point, except for that goof last night, Laine is ahead of Matthews for rookie of the year in most circles.
Laine did say last spring that he should be drafted #1.

MutuelClerk
12-12-2016, 05:34 PM
Not ripping on him. He's a terrific player. Just a very strange play last night. As a Leafs fan I'm very happy with Matthews and wish Laine all the best.

HoofedInTheChest
12-13-2016, 12:13 AM
At this point, except for that goof last night, Laine is ahead of Matthews for rookie of the year in most circles.
Laine did say last spring that he should be drafted #1.
It’s December, there’s a lot of hockey to be played yet.

My thoughts....

- Laine has an incredible shot.
- Scoring in the first two months of the season is a lot easier than after Christmas, teams are playing loose in the beginning and they tend to tighten up their systems at this point of the year.
- You can’t compare a centreman to a winger. Generally, when you can’t cut it as a centreman, you get moved to the wing. The c-man has so many other responsibilities on top of scoring, like faceoffs, quarterbacking the breakout, first man back in the d-zone, puck support for wingers and d-men, and usually does the most skating. A winger can concentrate on scoring alone, without the coach breathing down his neck about his other assignments.
- Laine has the luxury of playing with two seasoned vets, with an outstanding centreman to boot, Matthews plays on an all rookie line.
- Laine has a shooting percentage north of 20%, that is unsustainable over 82 games.
- Matthews has 5 games in hand at this point in time, the numbers are skewed.
- Possession numbers.... (Matthews = 53%) (Laine = 46%)
- Matthews is a much better skater, his edgework is impressive for someone that size.
- Laine is not an elite distributor and his defensive game doesn’t compare to Matthews or Marner.
- Laine’s 43.12% adjusted CF%Rel and -3.5% adjusted CF%Rel rank among the worst marks for rookies.
- Matthews ranks at the top of the league in shot generation, he keeps pace with such monsters as Brent Burns, Alex Ovechkin, Tyler Seguin and Vladimir Tarasenko.

Both Toronto and Winnipeg lucked out in the draft lottery, and they both got what they needed in spades. We won’t know for certain what we have until 5 years from now, comparing them after 25 games is premature.

If all you look at is the surface, you are not getting the true picture of what a multi-tool player provides, this happens all the time in the Norris voting. This is the same conversation we have between Ovi and Sid, one brings much more to the table that doesn’t show up in the score sheet, the same one that keeps winning championships.

Greyfox
12-13-2016, 01:23 AM
Marner, Laine, Matthews??
They are all good, very good.
Laine is disadvantaged by the fact that more hockey pundits are in the East.
The other two will get more hype from those Eastern writers.
You're right though. It's still too early to tell who will win the votes.

HoofedInTheChest
12-13-2016, 11:15 AM
This season’s rookie crop has to be one of the best that we’ve seen in a long time, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Calder went to someone other than the big two.

Patrick Laine
Auston Matthews
Mitch Marner
Matt Murray
Jimmy Vesey
William Nylander
Zach Werenski
Travis Konecny
Brandon Carlo
Brady Skjei

Greyfox
12-13-2016, 11:36 AM
Calgary's Matt Tkachuk is also pretty dang good and I'd add him to that list.

MutuelClerk
12-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Strong list compiled. I'd take off Brandon Carlo. Solid young player, but like Dougie Hamilton who's on fire right now playing your rookie year with Chara takes the pressure off. Laine can still win the Calder. If Jesse Puljujarvi plays on a line with McDavid he's going to score a lot of goals. Watching all these kids on NHL Center Ice helps the winter go by faster.

HoofedInTheChest
12-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Calgary's Matt Tkachuk is also pretty dang good and I'd add him to that list.
My apologies, i knew there was one or two i was forgetting.

MutuelClerk
12-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Damn these Leafs. When they have a two goal lead in the third period and the other team scores the next goal it isn't their lips that start puckering.

Greyfox, I wish you all the best with Laine. I'm very happy with Auston Matthews. Hoping Babcock finally got inside Nylanders head. When Nylander plays driven he's a very good player and teams really well with Matthews. I like the chemistry between those two. Hyman is no slouch either.

Hoping this off season the Leafs sign one and ONLY one of the free agent defenseman. It's starting to appear we wont make the playoffs. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with moving JVR at the deadline for a good young defenseman. With a decent blue line next year I would expect to make the playoffs. Draft a d-man unless Kostin is available.

Bad loss tonight. Veterans against rookies. Onward to Thursday. Bring on the Coyotes minus Max.

MutuelClerk
12-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Will King Henrik ever play again?

HoofedInTheChest
12-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Damn these Leafs. When they have a two goal lead in the third period and the other team scores the next goal it isn't their lips that start puckering.

Greyfox, I wish you all the best with Laine. I'm very happy with Auston Matthews. Hoping Babcock finally got inside Nylanders head. When Nylander plays driven he's a very good player and teams really well with Matthews. I like the chemistry between those two. Hyman is no slouch either.

Hoping this off season the Leafs sign one and ONLY one of the free agent defenseman. It's starting to appear we wont make the playoffs. I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with moving JVR at the deadline for a good young defenseman. With a decent blue line next year I would expect to make the playoffs. Draft a d-man unless Kostin is available.

Bad loss tonight. Veterans against rookies. Onward to Thursday. Bring on the Coyotes minus Max.
They have a bad habit of taking their foot off the gas pedal, i guess it’s a part of their development. One of these days they will realize that they are faster than everyone else, and they just need to keep up the pressure in puck pursuits, when they start watching the play they become flat footed (3rd period last night).

I agree about Nylander, he needs to be kicked in the ass every so often to get motivated, but when he is on, he’s a very dynamic player. He’s an elite skater with a deadly wrist shot, it’s just unfortunate that he sports a “mangina”.

Next year’s draft is really thin, had Nolan Patrick been in last year’s draft he would have been outside the top ten, but this year? Projected #1. There’s a Swedish defenseman (Timothy Liljegren) in this year’s draft that’s supposed to be very good, ranked second to Patrick. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we can scoop this kid next summer, we really need to get rid of Polak and Hunwick. Nick Hague is another D-man we can target in the top 10, in a very forward heavy draft.

What do you like about Kostin? He couldn’t cut it in the KHL and was sent to the VHL. Personally, i would go after Patrick or Hischier before him depending on the situation, but we should be drafting d-men and goalies, we have enough forwards in the system..... in Hunter we trust.

Greyfox
12-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Greyfox, I wish you all the best with Laine. I'm very happy with Auston Matthews.

Laine is not on any team that I pull for.
I just pointed out that at this point he is arguably ahead of Matthews in the race for Rookie of the Year.
That is the reality that many outside Ontario see.

HoofedInTheChest
12-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Laine is not on any team that I pull for.
I just pointed out that at this point he is arguably ahead of Matthews in the race for Rookie of the Year.
That is the reality that many outside Ontario see.
Are you ever going to reveal which team that is? Since you're being so coy about it, i'm going to go out on a limb and say that you are a closet Sabres fan and won't admit it.

Matthews is creeping up, 7 goals in his last 9 games with 4 games in hand over Laine, that’s if you’re the type of person that only looks at goals as the deciding factor.

I don’t think the eastern writers are as biased as you think, they too have a hard-on for Laine. I think the local media take pleasure in dumping on the team, whether it’s the players or management, like any of those slobs could assemble a team properly. I particularly enjoy the second guessing of Mike Babcock, there are some real pantloads in the media here.

Greyfox
12-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Are you ever going to reveal which team that is?

My team hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years!
But we do have McJesus!

HoofedInTheChest
12-14-2016, 12:19 PM
My team hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years!
But we do have McJesus!
lol I knew the Sabres remark would draw you out.

And you have Gretz back in the fold with a shiny new arena, things are looking up! :ThmbUp:

woodtoo
12-14-2016, 12:54 PM

Even on his own net.

Oops.

What an odd play.
He was taking the heat off Ehlers who did the same on Nov.10.
We want those 2 loses back. :bang:

MutuelClerk
12-14-2016, 09:13 PM
What do you like about Kostin? He couldn’t cut it in the KHL and was sent to the VHL. Personally, i would go after Patrick or Hischier before him depending on the situation, but we should be drafting d-men and goalies, we have enough forwards in the system..... in Hunter we trust.

Last year at USA hockey arena they had a round robin tourney. USA, Russia, Sweden, Finns. I saw Kostin twice and both times he was easily the best player on the ice. Not sure what's going on with him this year, but he's very talented. I agree I'd rather have a d-man but if this kid falls in your lap I think you draft him. He has size, deft hands and just glides over the ice.

MutuelClerk
12-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Hoffman

10 games.

Minimum.

woodtoo
12-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Hoffman

10 games.

Minimum.
What
did
he do?

woodtoo
12-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Hoffman

10 games.

Minimum.
Ok saw one angle, undecided. I'll leave it to the league.

HoofedInTheChest
12-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Dumb and dumber.
The book they read is
It's a complete mess in Florida, Rowe went 2-3-3 in 8 games behind the bench and i guess ownership has seen enough. Dale Tallon has resumed control over the hockey operations department.

Owners need to stay the hell away from hockey operations, i've never understood why owners feel the need to get involved in the day to day operations of a team, for the most part they know absolutely nothing about the game.

We went through a similar situation in Toronto, when Larry Tanenbaum (minority owner) and Richard Peddie (donkey) took over hockey operations. These guys made their wealth in construction, and we all know how that translates into running a hockey team, what a f'n nightmare! The jackass hired John Ferguson jr (the "Fergler") as the GM, and proceeded to run the team into the ground. It didn't take long for all involved to realize that none of them were competent enough to run an NHL team. The team was set back years with all the idiotic trades the "fergler" made, and the team was forced to clean house with Tanenbaum walking away with his tail between his legs.

The moral of the story...... stay in your lane.

HoofedInTheChest
12-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Hoffman

10 games.

Minimum.
He's has no previous offences, he'll get 2 games for that. Hoffman is a complete d*ck though.....

woodtoo
12-15-2016, 04:17 PM
It's a complete mess in Florida, Rowe went 2-3-3 in 8 games behind the bench and i guess ownership has seen enough. Dale Tallon has resumed control over the hockey operations department.

Owners need to stay the hell away from hockey operations, i've never understood why owners feel the need to get involved in the day to day operations of a team, for the most part they know absolutely nothing about the game.

We went through a similar situation in Toronto, when Larry Tanenbaum (minority owner) and Richard Peddie (donkey) took over hockey operations. These guys made their wealth in construction, and we all know how that translates into running a hockey team, what a f'n nightmare! The jackass hired John Ferguson jr (the "Fergler") as the GM, and proceeded to run the team into the ground. It didn't take long for all involved to realize that none of them were competent enough to run an NHL team. The team was set back years with all the idiotic trades the "fergler" made, and the team was forced to clean house with Tanenbaum walking away with his tail between his legs.

The moral of the story...... stay in your lane.
Great timing for Winnipeg after a grueling month and 3 days off for the 1st time in ages they can rebound from a 4 game losing streak by thumping the Panthers.

MutuelClerk
12-15-2016, 11:49 PM
He's has no previous offences, he'll get 2 games for that. Hoffman is a complete d*ck though.....

Wow. Two games? The stick work has to stop. It's getting really bad. A message needs to be sent to these players. Although the league officials were warned if they wanting fighting out this would happen. Well here it is. Decide which way you wanna go. The choices seem to be nasty stick work and your best players run night after night with no repur-concussions. Or protect these guys and allow fighting.

Maybe try Roman Polak in the shootout? All this offensive talent and we suck in the shootout. How can that be? I'm not a fan of the 3 on 3 shootout. But tonight was really exciting I must admit. OH well, can't beat anyone at home might as well bring on the Stanley Cup Champs and some guy named Kessel. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

woodtoo
12-16-2016, 09:37 AM
Great timing for Winnipeg after a grueling month and 3 days off for the 1st time in ages they can rebound from a 4 game losing streak by thumping the Panthers.
Thank you Panthers thank you Perreault! Jets 4 Panthers 3, won in shootout.

MutuelClerk
12-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Thank you Panthers thank you Perreault! Jets 4 Panthers 3, won in shootout.

Winning in a shootout. I've heard of that. Congrats Woodtoo

HoofedInTheChest
12-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Wow. Two games? The stick work has to stop. It's getting really bad. A message needs to be sent to these players. Although the league officials were warned if they wanting fighting out this would happen. Well here it is. Decide which way you wanna go. The choices seem to be nasty stick work and your best players run night after night with no repur-concussions. Or protect these guys and allow fighting.
Not to mention Cody Eakin running Hank last night, that was a vicious head shot. It seems the new standard these days is to tap the player's hand before the forecheck, how many hand injuries do we need to see before the zebras start calling this greasy move? I really don't get it, i see this happening every night and the play continues like it's a "hockey play", Marner took a nice slash last Saturday night coming off the rush and no one batted an eye.

Maybe try Roman Polak in the shootout? All this offensive talent and we suck in the shootout. How can that be? I'm not a fan of the 3 on 3 shootout. But tonight was really exciting I must admit. OH well, can't beat anyone at home might as well bring on the Stanley Cup Champs and some guy named Kessel. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!
When i saw Peter Holland line up in the shootout, i just knew how this would end, of all people, Mr. Disgruntled!

I love 3 on 3, but i am not a fan of the shootout. I think they should play 3 on 3 until someone scores.

What's really frustrating is the shot differential in the Leaf games, the Leafs are putting up huge numbers but it's not translating to goals, the dam has to break eventually. At least Matthews gained some ground on Frankenstein, and Marner got off the schneid, finally!

MutuelClerk
12-16-2016, 10:59 AM
We haven't had Matthews and Marner hot at the same time yet this season. If and when that happens, we will score lots of goals. Putting all that pressure on two kids though isn't fair.

HoofedInTheChest
12-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Pens were flat last night having played the night before and having to travel, the Leafs took advantage of this opportunity using their best assets, speed and shot generation. And it doesn’t hurt to slice the goalies throat open in the first period.

Mitch Marner is magical! The Leafs score after incredible work from the rookie. He generates a great scoring chance while 3 on 3, and opportunistically capitalizes on a bad turnover from Pouliot (the ref actually got in the way). Fleury tried to make an all or nothing play to poke check it, but Marner danced around the poke and smartly fed it to Gardiner, who made no mistake. Marner had the primary assists on both Leaf goals.

Phil Kessel is still a turnover machine.

HoofedInTheChest
12-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Florida Panthers owner Vincent Viola has been nominated as Secretary of the Army by President-elect Donald Trump. The nomination is subject to Senate confirmation.

Greyfox
12-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Florida Panthers owner Vincent Viola has been nominated as Secretary of the Army by President-elect Donald Trump. The nomination is subject to Senate confirmation.

I thought that was a joke, but I see that really happened.
He's wrecking the Panthers with his know it all attitude.
Will he wreck the Army too?
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/trump-nominates-panthers-owner-vinnie-viola-secretary-army/

HoofedInTheChest
12-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Trump called Viola "an incredibly accomplished and selfless individual."

"Whether it is his distinguished military service or highly impressive track record in the world of business, Vinnie has proved throughout his life that he knows how to be a leader and deliver major results in the face of any challenge," Trump said. "He is a man of outstanding work ethic, integrity, and strategic vision, with an exceptional ability to motivate others."

I'm guessing that Trump doesn't watch hockey.

I wonder if there's a book on analytics for the army...

HoofedInTheChest
12-19-2016, 12:48 PM
Randy Carlyle is back in town tonight with the Anaheim Ducks, keeping my fingers crossed that he starts Bernier in net.

Tyler Bozak is out tonight with a LBI, and Ben Smith is out with a UBI. Both are day to day...

The Leafs have recalled my boy “The Goat”, Frederik Gauthier gets his first promotion of the season. Josh Leivo finally gets in the lineup playing with La Chèvre on the fourth line.

Practise today...
Komarov-Kadri-Sosh
Hyman-Matthews-Brown
JVR-Nylander-Marner
Martin-Gauthier-Leivo

Today is the Holiday Roster Freeze, and The Goat is eligible to be loaned back to the Marlies before Dec 23, if they choose to not send him back, he must remain with the team until Dec 28th.

MutuelClerk
12-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Have a hunch the Nylander-JVR-Marner line might be fireworks tonight. Congrats on the " Goat " getting called up. Hope he plays well.

HoofedInTheChest
12-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Have a hunch the Nylander-JVR-Marner line might be fireworks tonight. Congrats on the " Goat " getting called up. Hope he plays well.
You will be impressed with the Goats skating, he worked hard last summer with Barb Underhill and he is a completely different skater, he managed to find another gear.

I almost forgot, Canada plays Finland tonight in an exhibition game leading up to the world jr's.

MutuelClerk
12-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Couldn't find the Goat on draft kings. Looking forward to the world juniors. Is USA-Canada on NY's Eve again? Best rivalry there is. Being an old man and now staying in on that day, it's a great sports day. NCAA semi's and World Juniors, usually Swedes vs Russia or Finns too.

MutuelClerk
12-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Bad face off loss by the Goat. Not sure why Babcock used him in that situation. Did you hear the Laine quote when he one timed a goal on a 2-1 break the other night? " I'll score on that play 99 times out of 100, the stick will break once". Awesome. Happy with Matthews but love Laine's confidence.

People loved Matthews goal in the second period yesterday, he almost did the same thing at the end of the first period and it's gone unmentioned. Lots of games tonight. Pass the popcorn.

HoofedInTheChest
12-20-2016, 06:50 PM
Bad face off loss by the Goat. Not sure why Babcock used him in that situation.
Sadly, he was our best option all night long. The achilles heel of the Leafs is faceoffs, and they were up against the second best face-off team in the league, i think Anaheim is firing at 68%. The stupid part was taking so many dumb penalties, Kesler and Vermette had their way in the offensive zone.

Gauthier – 7/17
Kadri – 5/17
Matthews – 5/15
Nylander – 4/12

The Goat had his ups and downs last night, and coming off an injury doesn’t help matters, but i’d like to get a longer look at him, one game doesn’t tell you much.

HoofedInTheChest
12-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Correction...

Anaheim is first in the league in face-offs, 56.3%.

Kesler and Vermette are 68%.

Leafs are 14th at 49.6%.

MutuelClerk
12-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Hoofed, I'm reading Calgary is enamored with Kadri as their possible McDavid shut-down guy. I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan but he seems to really be coming on. We need D. Getting Hamilton, signing Tavares as a free agent would make our team a lot better. I like Naz, I see him becoming Marchand lite. Your thoughts?

MutuelClerk
12-22-2016, 10:34 PM
The GOAT

SCORES!!!!!!!!!

( 5-0 lead and I don't trust our team)

Yet.

MutuelClerk
12-23-2016, 09:09 AM
What me worry? Best game of the season. The PK was outstanding. The prodigal son returns tonight. Matthews in Arizona. The Leafs owe the Coyotes. They beat us at our place last week. Really impressed last night. However the ebbs and flows of young teams you never know what to expect tonight. But it is fun watching. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

Thinking of making a road trip to Columbus.

HoofedInTheChest
12-23-2016, 12:12 PM
Hoofed, I'm reading Calgary is enamored with Kadri as their possible McDavid shut-down guy. I'm not the biggest Hamilton fan but he seems to really be coming on. We need D. Getting Hamilton, signing Tavares as a free agent would make our team a lot better. I like Naz, I see him becoming Marchand lite. Your thoughts?
If you lose Kadri, you have to go and find another shut-down centreman with offence, not likely. The Leafs can’t afford to lose any of our c-men, our depth is thin in that department. More than likely it will be a winger or 2, seeing that we are bursting at the seams with wingers..... JVR

I don’t think anything will happen until the trade deadline, but a lot of teams have been sniffing around JVR..... supposedly. The Leafs are tight lipped about everything, and it’s all speculation at this point in time, but we do need 2 defenseman, that’s a given.

The Goat!!!
That was a beautiful snipe from the slot last night, and an even better pass from Marner, i’m happy for La Chèvre on his first NHL goal. :ThmbUp:

Colorado is awful..... poor Sakic. It’s no wonder Patrick Roy went running for the hills.

HoofedInTheChest
12-23-2016, 03:37 PM
Last year at USA hockey arena they had a round robin tourney. USA, Russia, Sweden, Finns. I saw Kostin twice and both times he was easily the best player on the ice. Not sure what's going on with him this year, but he's very talented. I agree I'd rather have a d-man but if this kid falls in your lap I think you draft him. He has size, deft hands and just glides over the ice.
Russian World Junior team coach Valeri Bragin said rink size at the 2017 WJC was a part of not having Kostin on the roster. “If [World Juniors] was held in larger venues, we would consider Klim Kostin, but the tournament will be held in small venues,” Bragin said (in a crude translation). “He lacks explosive qualities.”

Kostin is 17, and the tournament tends to favour 18 and 19 year olds, but Kostin is still rated in the top 10 for this years draft. Sounds like he needs to work on his foot speed, mind you that's coming from a Russian coach, the same bozo's that don't understand the concept of line matching.

Team Canada looks to be firing on all cylinders leading up to the tournament. I often wonder what the team would look like if we had access to all of our players. Imagine for a moment if Connor McDavid (Edmonton), Mitch Marner (Toronto), Travis Konecny (Philadelphia), Lawson Crouse (Arizona), Jacob Chychrun (Arizona) and Anthony Beauvillier (N.Y. Islanders) were made available by their NHL clubs. :eek:

MutuelClerk
12-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Hoofed, like you I love this tournament. When it comes to the NHL we root for the same team. However being a Leaf fan just outside hockeytown (what a joke) I am American and will be rooting Team USA. I really like our team this year. New Years Eve is going to be a great sports day for me. Outdoor game, LEAFS vs wings. Team USA vs Team Canada in the world juniors. Team Sweden vs the Finns follows, another great rivalry. Then we have two college football semi-finals. I'm glad I'm old and stay in on NY's Eve now.

MY team will be in the finals Hoofed, hope we play for gold.

Speaking of the hockey rivalry between our countries. The Womens World Championship will be held in USA hockey arena late March, early April. I'm not the biggest fan of women's hockey. However, when USA plays Canada it's as intense as hockey gets. I'll be there when these two teams play.

MutuelClerk
12-25-2016, 09:53 PM
Not sure what's going on with Kostin. I know what I saw last year. He's a very talented player. Even at 17 I'm surprised he didn't make the team. Team USA has really struggled with the Russians, I hope this decision helps us.

HoofedInTheChest
12-26-2016, 12:44 PM
I wish you guys the best of luck, we shall see if leaving Alex Debrincat off the roster was a good move. A couple of Leaf picks on Team USA to watch out for in Bracco and Woll, but i think Parsons will get the nod in net, i really wanted the Leafs to draft him last summer.

Team USA faces the big bad Latvians today, with Canada facing Russia. :cool:

MutuelClerk
12-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Your team controlled the puck pretty well against the Russians. That's not easy to do. Your goaltending was shaky the first game. My team started shaky but eventually figured it out. I liked Parsons too. If Woll develops I can already envisions the BRICK WOLL signs and t shirts.

HoofedInTheChest
12-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Your team controlled the puck pretty well against the Russians. That's not easy to do. Your goaltending was shaky the first game. My team started shaky but eventually figured it out. I liked Parsons too. If Woll develops I can already envisions the BRICK WOLL signs and t shirts.
I agree with you about the goaltending, we’re not spitting them out like we used too. Hart gave up 3 goals in 15 shots against the Swiss in exhibition play a few days earlier, and he let in 3 goals in 17 shots against the Russians last night, that’s just not acceptable, a couple of those goals last night were absolutely brutal.

Other than the goaltending, it was a textbook win for the Canadian’s last night. Fast exits out of the defensive zone while controlling the play in the neutral zone and offensive zone. They moved up and down the ice as a 5 man unit, and the Russians couldn’t deal with Canada’s puck support, Canada outshot the Ruskies 37/17. Our special teams were firing on all cylinders last night, which was the downfall of the Canadian’s last year. If you take a penalty against this year’s squad, Barzal and Strome will make you pay dearly, our PP is firing at 50%.

Up next.... the Slovaks on short rest.

HoofedInTheChest
12-27-2016, 02:48 PM
2017 World Junior Roster Breakdown by NHL Team

Anaheim Ducks (3)
• F Julius Nattinen – Finland – 2015 second round pick (59th)
• F Troy Terry – USA – 2015 fifth round pick (148th)
• D Jacob Larsson – Sweden – 2015 first round pick (27th)

Arizona Coyotes (3)
• F Dylan Strome – Canada – 2015 first round pick (3rd)
• F Jens Looke – Sweden – 2015 third round pick (83rd)
• F Clayton Keller – USA – 2016 first round pick (7th)

Boston Bruins (5)
• D Jeremy Lauzon – Canada – 2015 second round pick (52nd)
• G Daniel Vladar – Czech Republic – 2015 third round pick (75th)
• D Jakub Zboril – Czech Republic – 2015 first round pick (13th)
• D Ryan Lindgren – USA – 2016 second round pick (49th)
• D Charlie McAvoy – USA – 2016 first round pick (14th)

Buffalo Sabres (4)
• D Vojtech Budik – Czech Republic – 2015 fifth round pick (130th)
• F Rasmus Asplund – Sweden – 2016 second round pick (33rd)
• F Alexander Nylander – Sweden – 2016 first round pick (8th)
• D Casey Fitzgerald – USA – 2016 third round pick (86th)

Calgary Flames (5)
• F Dillon Dube – Canada – 2016 second round pick (56th)
• F Pavel Karnaukhov – Russia – 2015 fifth round pick (136th)
• D Oliver Kylington – Sweden – 2015 second round pick (61st)
• G Tyler Parsons – USA – 2016 second round pick (54th)
• D Adam Fox – USA – 2016 third round pick (66th)

Carolina Hurricanes (4)
• D Jake Bean – Canada – 2016 first round pick (13th)
• F Julien Gauthier – Canada – 2016 first round pick (21st)
• F Nicolas Roy – Canada – 2015 fourth round pick (96th)
• F Janne Kuokkanen – Finland – 2016 second round pick (43rd)

Chicago Blackhawks (3)
• F Mathias From – Denmark – 2016 fifth round pick (143rd)
• F Radovan Bondra – Slovakia – 2015 fifth round pick (151st)
• D Lucas Carlsson – Sweden – 2016 fourth round pick (110th)

Colorado Avalanche (2)
• F Tyson Jost – Canada – 2016 first round pick (10th)
• G Adam Werner – Sweden – 2016 fifth round pick (131st)

Columbus Blue Jackets (3)
• F Pierre-Luc Dubois – Canada – 2016 first round pick (3rd)
• D Gabriel Carlsson – Sweden – 2015 first round pick (29th)
• F Calvin Thurkauf – Switzerland – 2016 seventh round pick (18th)

Dallas Stars (5)
• D Ondrej Vala – Czech Republic – signed as a free agent
• G Markus Ruusu – Finland – 2015 sixth round pick (163rd)
• F Denis Guryanov – Russia – 2015 first round pick (12th)
• F Fredrik Karlstrom – Sweden – 2016 third round pick (90th)
• D Joe Cecconi – USA – 2015 fifth round pick (133rd)

Detroit Red Wings (3)
• D Filip Hronek – Czech Republic – 2016 second round pick (53rd)
• D Vili Saarijärvi – Finland – 2015 third round pick (73rd)
• G Joren van Pottelberghe – Switzerland – 2015 fourth round pick (110th)

Edmonton Oilers (2)
• F Aapeli Rasanen – Finland – 2016 sixth round pick (153rd)
• D Caleb Jones – USA – 2015 fourth round pick (117th)

Florida Panthers (1)
• F Henrik Borgstrom – Finland – 2016 first round pick (23rd)

Los Angeles Kings (2)
• D Kale Clague – Canada – 2016 second round pick (51st)
• D Erik Cernak – Slovakia – 2015 second round pick (43rd)

Minnesota Wild (4)
• F Kirill Kaprizov – Russia – 2015 fifth round pick (135th)
• F Joel Eriksson Ek – Sweden – 2015 first round pick (20th)
• F Luke Kunin – USA – 2016 first round pick (15th)
• F Jordan Greenway – USA – 2015 second round pick (50th)

Montreal Canadiens (2)
• D Noah Juulsen – Canada – 2015 first round pick (26th)
• D Mikhail Sergachev – Russia – 2016 first round pick (9th)

Nashville Predators (3)
• D Dante Fabbro – Canada – 2016 first round pick (17th)
• F Yakov Trenin – Russia – 2015 second round pick (55th)
• F Patrick Harper – USA – 2016 fifth round pick (138th)

New Jersey Devils (4)
• F Michael McLeod – Canada – 2016 first round pick (12th)
• F Blake Speers – Canada – 2015 third round pick (67th)
• D Yegor Rykov – Russia – 2016 fifth round pick (132nd)
• F Joey Anderson – USA – 2016 third round pick (73rd)

New York Islanders (3)
• F Matthew Barzal – Canada – 2015 first round pick (16th)
• F Otto Koivula – Finland – 2016 fourth round pick (120th)
• F Kieffer Bellows – USA – 2016 first round pick (19th)

New York Rangers (2)
• D Sergei Zborovsky – Russia – 2015 third round pick (79th)
• G Adam Huska – Slovakia – 2015 seventh round pick (184th)

Ottawa Senators (5)
• D Thomas Chabot – Canada – 2015 first round pick (18th)
• D Filip Chlapik – Czech Republic – 2015 second round pick (48th)
• F Filip Ahl – Sweden – 2015 fourth round pick (109th)
• F Jonathan Dahlen – Sweden – 2016 second round pick (42nd)
• F Colin White – USA – 2015 first round pick (21st)

Philadelphia Flyers (9)
• G Carter Hart – Canada – 2016 second round pick (48th)
• D Phillipe Myers – Canada – signed as a free agent
• F David Kase – Czech Republic – 2015 fifth round pick (128th)
• F German Rubtsov – Russia – 2016 first round pick (22nd)
• F Mikhail Vorobyov – Russia – 2015 fourth round pick (104th)
• G Matej Tomek – Slovakia – 2015 third round pick (90th)
• G Felix Sandstrom – Sweden – 2015 third round pick (70th)
• D David Bernhardt – Sweden – 2016 seventh round pick (199th)
• F Tanner Laczynski – USA – 2016 sixth round pick (169th)

Pittsburgh Penguins (2)
• F Kasper Björkqvist – Finland – 2016 second round pick (61st)
• G Filip Gustavsson – Sweden – 2016 second round pick (55th)

St. Louis Blues (3)
• F Adam Musil – Czech Republic – 2015 fourth round pick (94th)
• F Nikolaj Krag Christensen – Latvia – 2016 seventh round pick (209th)
• F Tage Thompson – USA – 2016 first round pick (26th)

San Jose Sharks (3)
• F Joachim Blichfeld – Denmark – 2016 seventh round pick (210th)
• D Karlis Čukste – Latvia – 2015 fifth round pick (130th)
• F Rudolfs Balcers – Latvia – 2015 fifth round pick (142nd)

Tampa Bay Lightning (5)
• G Connor Ingram – Canada – 2016 third round pick (88th)
• F Anthony Cirelli – Canada – 2015 third round pick (72nd)
• F Mathieu Joseph – Canada – 2015 fourth round pick (120th)
• F Taylor Raddysh – Canada – 2016 second round pick (58th)
• F Mitchell Stephens – Canada – 2015 second round pick (33rd)

Toronto Maple Leafs (4)
• F Martin Dzierkals – Latvia – 2015 third round pick (68th)
• F Carl Grundstrom – Sweden – 2016 second round pick (57th)
• G Joseph Woll – USA – 2016 third round pick (62nd)
• F Jeremy Bracco – USA – 2015 second round pick (61st)

Vancouver Canucks (2)
• F Lukas Jasek – Czech Republic – 2015 sixth round pick (174th)
• D Olli Juolevi – Finland – 2016 first round pick (5th)

Washington Capitals (3)
• G Ilya Samsonov – Russia – 2015 first round pick (22nd)
• D Jonas Siegenthaler – Switzerland – 2015 second round pick (57th)
• F Damien Riat – Switzerland – 2016 fourth round pick (117th)

Winnipeg Jets (3)
• F Michael Spacek – Czech Republic – 2015 fourth round pick (108th)
• F Erik Foley – USA – 2015 third round pick (78th)
• F Jack Roslovic – USA – 2015 first round pick (25th)

MutuelClerk
12-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Maybe I'm wrong on Kostin. I don't seem to predict Russian players very well. A few years ago after the WJC I thought Valeri Nichushkin was going to take the NHL by storm. I believe he's in the KHL now after floundering with Dallas.

Clayton Keller vs Dylan Strome will be a good match up. Both drafted number 1 by Arizona as centers in back to back years. Looking forward to the match up Saturday.

Speaking of wrong, a previous post I mention Wings vs Leafs on NY's eve, its new years day. Also had the date of Sweden vs the Finns wrong. At least I'm consistent.

HoofedInTheChest
12-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Maybe I'm wrong on Kostin. I don't seem to predict Russian players very well. A few years ago after the WJC I thought Valeri Nichushkin was going to take the NHL by storm. I believe he's in the KHL now after floundering with Dallas.

Don’t feel bad, most pro scouts get it wrong. Kostin has yet to develop and there is still room for improvement in his game. He is considered an “underager”, a lot can happen between now and next season, or even 2 seasons from now. If you saw something in someone’s game that stood out, you were probably right, but it’s the next step that is the most difficult to achieve, the NHL.

We are going to look at the odds of a kid from Ontario making the NHL. Out of the select 30,000 players studied, 48 were drafted by an NHL team, and 39 of those 48 actually signed contracts with an NHL team. Of that 39, only 32 actually played in the NHL, and only 15 of those players played more than one full season. And finally, of that 15, only six played the minimum 400 games to qualify for the NHL Player Pension.

So if we count the 400 game league minimum for the Player Pension as having a ‘career’ in the NHL, then 0.16 percent will get drafted into the NHL and only 0.02 percent of hockey-playing boys in Ontario will make a ‘career’ out of hockey.

MutuelClerk
12-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Mitch finally got one by Bobby Lew. We blew another two goal lead tonight Hoofed. And yet I'm liking the Leafs more and more. Andersen is playing with confidence, handling the puck. We will get defenseman eventually. Trade, FA, draft. The half boards pass on the PP Mathews to Nylander is deadly. Willie really has that twisted wrister. Surprised teams aren't shutting that down more.

WJC, didn't like how Team USA was taken out of the game in the first period tonight. They lost their cools. Had much more talent but lost focus for awhile. Can't play like that tomorrow against Russians or Saturday against Team Canada. Keller is going to step it up and be USA's best player.

HoofedInTheChest
12-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Leafs are 3 points back of Boston for a playoff spot, with 3 games in hand. :ThmbUp:

Big game today between the U.S. and Russia at 3:30, and Russia is paying 2.84 for a regulation win, and 5.26 for a regulation draw, i’m tempted. The U.S. hasn’t really impressed me so far in the tournament, Canada held the Slovaks to 6 shots on net with one scoring chance, whereas the U.S gave up 2 goals and 20 shots against the same opponent. It is painfully clear that the Canadian’s are the best possession team in the tournament, and look to be the quickest of the lot. I believe the U.S. is vulnerable today against a team that has to win.

You guys can thank me later for the Mush! :)

MutuelClerk
12-29-2016, 08:02 PM
Mush....You rock. Thank you

HoofedInTheChest
12-30-2016, 11:30 AM
Mush....You rock. Thank you
You guys squeaked that one out yesterday, your first win against the Russians since 2007.

Leafs are rollin, and Matthews is creeping up, 1 goal back of Frankenstein, and their tied in points with Matthews having 3 games in hand. Gary Lawless must be having a conniption today. :lol:

MutuelClerk
12-31-2016, 10:50 AM
Game on Mush. Please tell me we have no chance. I'll make you a deal. You can win today. We win next Sunday.

Looking forward to the outdoor game. Living in the hockeytown area I take a lot of crap from Red wing fans who suddenly have no interest in betting the game with me Sunday. Typical wing fans, they can name most of the players on their team but can't name 10 other players in the NHL.

Knowing the Leafs need a d-man or three. What do you think of trading for Ryan Ellis. The Preds are deep on the blue line. I think JVR or Kadri is too much. Not sure they need Bozak. Maybe Komarov? Ellis can help on the PP and is pretty underrated IMO. Ex Windsor spit from the Tyler vs Taylor days.

HoofedInTheChest
12-31-2016, 11:27 AM
Canada won the Spengler Cup today for the second straight year.

Canada is 6/6 on New Year’s Eve against the American’s. My wish came true and Connor Ingram gets the start in net today, Hart has been letting in soft goals throughout the tournament.

Stats through 3 games...

Canada Scoring Efficiency 20/116 = 17%
U.S. Scoring Efficiency 14/117 = 11%

Canada Powerplay 8/14 = 57%
U.S. Powerplay 3/13 = 23%

Canada Penalty Killing 1/13 = 7.7%
U.S. Penalty Killing 2/11 = 18%

U.S. Goalkeeping 54/59 =91%
Canada Goalkeeping 43/48 = 89%

HoofedInTheChest
12-31-2016, 11:41 AM
Game on Mush. Please tell me we have no chance. I'll make you a deal. You can win today. We win next Sunday.

Looking forward to the outdoor game. Living in the hockeytown area I take a lot of crap from Red wing fans who suddenly have no interest in betting the game with me Sunday. Typical wing fans, they can name most of the players on their team but can't name 10 other players in the NHL.

Knowing the Leafs need a d-man or three. What do you think of trading for Ryan Ellis. The Preds are deep on the blue line. I think JVR or Kadri is too much. Not sure they need Bozak. Maybe Komarov? Ellis can help on the PP and is pretty underrated IMO. Ex Windsor spit from the Tyler vs Taylor days.
The outdoor alumni game is today at noon, and Shanny the traitor is playing for the Wings, Sundin the stiff is a no-show. The weather looks to be perfect for tomorrow, sunny and warm all day, and the players said the surface is hard and fast which will make for a great game.

I have no idea what the Leafs are up to when it comes to acquiring a defenseman, but i do know that they will only make a deal that will help them in the future, no fast fixes. They are sticking to the plan of being competitive 2 years from now, so the defenseman has to be at an age where he isn’t over the hill 2 to 5 years from now.

MutuelClerk
12-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Speaking of traitors. I still hate CUJO for signing with the Wings and crying to the Toronto media " I didn't really wanna leave". Man up, you left for the $$$$$$. Cujo was great for us but I prefer he wore red today.

Greyfox
12-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Cujo was a class act.
We didn't want him to leave The Oilers either.
But when he was here he sponsored hundreds of kids to get seats for the games.
He was a great ambassador for Hockey.
No hard feelings towards him in our end of the country.

HoofedInTheChest
12-31-2016, 01:52 PM
I always liked Cujo, solid goalie. I remember when he left and i don't blame him for wanting to go to a contender, unfortunately things went south for him in Detroit.

After his playing days were over, he started breeding race horses in southern Ontario, until Dalton McGuinty came along and f’ed up horse racing in Ontario. I think he closed up shop and moved away, i’m not sure, i don’t see his horses anymore at Woodbine.

It's great to see Dmitri Yushkevich out there, i loved his game back in the day, even for a Russian. We have Yushkevich to thank for getting us Zaitsev, he steered him toward the Leafs.

MutuelClerk
12-31-2016, 02:46 PM
I always liked Danny Markov. Interesting Team USA starting the Brick Woll today. Lets hope he lives up to it.

MutuelClerk
12-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Luc Dubois= Must be French for genius. Blue Jackets are playing great this year they might regret taking him third overall.

In many ways Team USA was lucky to win. Two 5-3's against us. A five minute major against us. Hope we have a rematch for gold. The North American way of hockey is best. Good game today. The Woll looked good. Woll or Parsons in the medal round?

johnhannibalsmith
01-01-2017, 10:15 AM
These are always pretty fun moments anyway when the call goes to get the backup-backup goalie and its either a name nobody's ever heard or a name nobody's heard in a looooong time.

But, I can't remember it being done somewhat deliberately as a gesture. Pretty cool story.

Alves, a native of Stoughton, MA, played club hockey at NC State University from 2002-2004 following four years of service in the Marine Corps at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC. He has worked with the Canes' equipment staff since the 2003-04 season and had numerous short stints in the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) and Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL).

"You run through the scenario 100 different times. Maybe it will happen," Alves said of playing in the NHL. "Then you get to the point where, OK, it's probably never going to happen and it is what it is."

And then Saturday night happened.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/jorge-alves-lives-out-nhl-dream-as-goaltender-for-carolina-hurricanes/c-285235426

HoofedInTheChest
01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
It appears as though the Leafs have themselves a goalie with potential, i found it ironic that the Leaf prospects were instrumental in the U.S. winning.

Without question the U.S. should stick with Woll in the medal rounds. As for Canada? Flip a coin, both goalies have let it in soft goals.

The pace of play was a lot of fun to watch, but both teams need to play a better disciplined game.

It looks like Philippe Myers is out with a concussion for the rest of the tournament, that doesn’t help us, he was one of our better D’s. I would certainly hope that Luke Kunin receives further discipline for the head shot.

HoofedInTheChest
01-01-2017, 10:43 AM
These are always pretty fun moments anyway when the call goes to get the backup-backup goalie and its either a name nobody's ever heard or a name nobody's heard in a looooong time.

But, I can't remember it being done somewhat deliberately as a gesture. Pretty cool story.

They should have given him more than 8 seconds in the game, at the very least they should have allowed him to get a shot against, the game was already over. It's one thing to get in a game, but one day someone will ask him, "how many saves did you make?" When your reply is "0, i only played 8 seconds", it kind of ruins the story. Still a very cool moment for the guy, most people will never get that opportunity.

At 5'-7", that was his one and only chance.

MutuelClerk
01-01-2017, 11:39 AM
I thought the Kunin hit was late, but not a head shot. His head hit the glass really hard. Looked like he hit him in the chest, but being behind the net he's very close to the glass. I hope he isn't suspended. A re-match with Canada concerns me. Team Canada didn't play their best game and USA couldn't have played much better. Hopefully Team USA advances that far to find out. I do agree both teams need to play with more discipline.

MutuelClerk
01-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Alves, a native of Stoughton, MA, played club hockey at NC State University from 2002-2004 following four years of service in the Marine Corps at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC. He has worked with the Canes' equipment staff since the 2003-04 season and had numerous short stints in the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) and Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL).

"You run through the scenario 100 different times. Maybe it will happen," Alves said of playing in the NHL. "Then you get to the point where, OK, it's probably never going to happen and it is what it is."

And then Saturday night happened.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/jorge-alves-lives-out-nhl-dream-as-goaltender-for-carolina-hurricanes/c-285235426

Agreed. Very cool story.

MutuelClerk
01-01-2017, 03:48 PM
These Leaf jerseys look great!!!!

HoofedInTheChest
01-01-2017, 09:28 PM
The outdoor game was like when you try to get ketchup out of a bottle, and nothing comes out, nothing comes out, nothing OH NO IT'S EVERYWHERE.

With his 20th goal of the season, Auston Matthews unlocks one of his ELC Schedule 'A' Bonuses worth $212,500.

MutuelClerk
01-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Agreed. Sometimes the Leafs look like the Harlem Globetrotters. Then we get a two goal lead and play like the Washington Generals. Youth.

Greyfox
01-01-2017, 11:06 PM
These Leafs .... look great!!!!

...in the third period.

Thank you Babcock.

MutuelClerk
01-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Trap game for the USA and we were lucky to survive. The Swiss program is really coming on. Hischier is going to be a really good player in the NHL. The Swiss play as fast and hard as any team in the tourney. That threw USA off today, luckily for us the Swiss lack depth.

Doesn't get any easier from here. Nor should it. The big four will probably be the final four. Wednesday USA-Russia. No trap game here hopefully we can beat them twice in the same year. They've had our number for years. Wednesday should be a great final four day. I like William Nylander but his little brother might be better. Sweden - Canada the other semi. Can't wait!!!

HoofedInTheChest
01-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Trap game for the USA and we were lucky to survive. The Swiss program is really coming on. Hischier is going to be a really good player in the NHL. The Swiss play as fast and hard as any team in the tourney. That threw USA off today, luckily for us the Swiss lack depth.

Doesn't get any easier from here. Nor should it. The big four will probably be the final four. Wednesday USA-Russia. No trap game here hopefully we can beat them twice in the same year. They've had our number for years. Wednesday should be a great final four day. I like William Nylander but his little brother might be better. Sweden - Canada the other semi. Can't wait!!!
Great assessment, i couldn’t agree more.

Now that the cowardly trap teams have all been eliminated, we can get down to some good hockey.

Canada’s goaltending is a mess, and i don’t foresee them challenging for gold, but you never know.

It brings me great pleasure watching Finland play in the relegation games, it’s unlikely they will be dropped down to Division 2, but the fact that they are playing in these games makes me laugh. Firing your entire coaching staff in the middle of a tournament doesn’t help your team’s confidence at all, it just creates more chaos, but according to them they have a better program than ours...... ya, ok.

Greyfox
01-03-2017, 10:51 AM
The Oilers play the Blue Jackets tonight.
The latter are on a rather unbelievable 15 game winning streak, with no real stars in the line-up.
Personally, I have never liked John Tortorella as a coach.
But I have to admit he's really gotten the most out of this Columbus team.

HoofedInTheChest
01-03-2017, 11:14 AM
The Oilers play the Blue Jackets
He certainly didn’t do much to help the U.S. in the World Cup, the powers that be thought that they could beat skill with brawn, which led to an early exit.

I have to give Columbus credit, that’s a hell of a run, but i would rather be having this run in April rather than December, something tells me they are peaking too early. Is it a coincidence that they are having a lot of success without David Clarkson in the line-up?

Speaking of good runs coming to an end, Toronto is in Washington tonight, it was fun while it lasted.

EasyGoer89
01-03-2017, 11:17 AM
The Oilers play the Blue Jackets tonight.
The latter are on a rather unbelievable 15 game winning streak, with no real stars in the line-up.
Personally, I have never liked John Tortorella as a coach.

This is a bizarre run from a 'laughing stock' organization, one might say this is the most amazing thing in modern sports history considering the team that's doing it, this isn't gretzkys Oilers.

dnlgfnk
01-03-2017, 01:41 PM
This is a bizarre run from a 'laughing stock' organization, one might say this is the most amazing thing in modern sports history considering the team that's doing it, this isn't gretzkys Oilers.

Leicester last season...

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14759409/why-leicester-city-become-biggest-long-shot-champion-sports-history

ldiatone
01-03-2017, 03:17 PM
Sergei Bobrovsky, Evgeni Malkin and Devan Dubnyk have been named the NHL's 3 Stars of the Month for December.

MutuelClerk
01-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Rookie of the Year.

The GOAT!!!!

:)

cj
01-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Rookie of the Year.

The GOAT!!!!

Take your point and get out of my house. #Ovi #Comeback :)

HoofedInTheChest
01-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Rookie of the Year.

The GOAT!!!!

He's come a long way..... Viva La Chèvre

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Goat-Slides-on-Ice.gif

Greyfox
01-03-2017, 11:37 PM

16 in a row.
The Oilers, including McDavid,.... Froze.
4 shots from the Oilers in the first period.
Fear of Winning hounds hockey and horse players.

HoofedInTheChest
01-04-2017, 12:11 PM
There weren’t many positives to take from last night’s game, other than humiliating Holtby again. The advanced stats are absolutely horrific, this game ranks right up there with the LA loss in November. I don’t know why, but whenever the Dad’s go on the road with the team, they play terrible hockey.

I couldn’t stop laughing at the Komarov goal, a beautiful feed from Matthews and a tap in for Uncle Leo, but it was his celly that was absolutely priceless. After he scores, he pats Orpik on the shoulder and tells him, “Good Job”. :lol:

Canada will get schooled tonight by Sweden, and Sweden will go on to win the gold medal, they are the most complete team in the tournament.

cj
01-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Caps will take down the Jackets on Thursday, book it.

ldiatone
01-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Under 2 minutes to play in the 1st period. #Russia leads 1-0. #WorldJuniors

ldiatone
01-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Under 2 minutes to play in the 1st period. #Russia leads 1-0. #WorldJuniors

We're tied with less than 1 minute to play in the 1st! #WorldJuniors - twitter

Track Collector
01-04-2017, 04:16 PM

The CAPS "can" win, but the probability is something like 35%-40%. If I were betting this game my money would be on Columbus.

In the past few years Columbus seems to match up well against us and seem to have our number. Even when they come back to earth, I would not favor the CAPS chances against them in the playoffs either.

Strange things happen though and I am HOPING for a CAPS win!

HoofedInTheChest
01-04-2017, 04:53 PM
The CAPS "can" win, but the probability is something like 35%-40%. If I were betting this game my money would be on Columbus.

In the past few years Columbus seems to match up well against us and seem to have our number. Even when they come back to earth, I would not favor the CAPS chances against them in the playoffs either.

Strange things happen though and I am HOPING for a CAPS win!
From HockeyReference.com

Win Probability

Columbus 52%
Washington 48%

The Vegas lines aren't out yet, but i imagine that Columbus would be the betting favorite.

Maybe EasyGoer89 can shed some light on the subject. ;)

cj
01-04-2017, 05:20 PM
From HockeyReference.com

Win Probability

Columbus 52%
Washington 48%

The Vegas lines aren't out yet, but i imagine that Columbus would be the betting favorite.

Maybe EasyGoer89 can shed some light on the subject. ;)

Yeah, there is no way it 35 or 40%. A game that lopsided is a rare bird in the NHL.

woodtoo
01-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Congrats USA on a great close win. :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
01-04-2017, 06:46 PM
World Championships should never be settled by shootouts!
Make the overtime 3 on 3 and play until there is a winner.

MutuelClerk
01-04-2017, 08:28 PM
World Championships should never be settled by shootouts!
Make the overtime 3 on 3 and play until there is a winner.

Agree and disagree. I don't like shootouts. Also don't want 3 on 3 to determine who plays in the gold medal game. They can play 5 on 5 til the lights go out as far as I'm concerned. That being said... USA USA USA!!!!!

Recorded the game, watched after work. WOW!!!! As exciting as it gets. Recording second game also. Time to catch up there. Hope we see my friends from Canada in the finals. USA!!!!!!!!

MutuelClerk
01-04-2017, 08:31 PM
I couldn’t stop laughing at the Komarov goal, a beautiful feed from Matthews and a tap in for Uncle Leo, but it was his celly that was absolutely priceless. After he scores, he pats Orpik on the shoulder and tells him, “Good Job”. :lol:

Matthews best assist of the season. Just took and ragged the puck then made an unbelievable pass to Leo. I couldn't stop laughing either. Leo patting OrPRICK who is a tough guy was pretty close to priceless.

Ok back to the semis.....

Greyfox
01-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Canada vs U.S.A. should be a thrilling final!

MutuelClerk
01-04-2017, 11:49 PM
Must see TV Greyfox. Can't wait!!!

HoofedInTheChest
01-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Finally a goalie steps up and shuts the door, Ingram was a complete sieve on the first 3 shots. The boys left everything on the ice and played a classic game of Canadian hockey, well done.

Both games today were highly entertaining, congrats to the U.S. on taking down the Russians, you made my day, and best of all Troy Terry pulled off a Toews.... can anyone say 5-Hole! :ThmbUp:

It was a good day of hockey..... unless you’re a Euro.

HoofedInTheChest
01-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Columbus might be a good play seeing that cj gave his team the kiss of death. :p

ldiatone
01-05-2017, 01:31 AM
true or false reported on facebook::

A French reporter has just made some very interesting comments during her appearance on 91,9 Sports radio this morning.

According to Chantal Machabee, a well respected reporter for RDS in Quebec, Montreal Canadiens star goaltgender Carey Price was spotted breaking not one but two of his sticks against the goal posts out of frustration at something during the Habs most recent practice.

Machabee also added that Price has not been himself as of late, and while she clearly stated it was speculative on her part she seems to suspect this is injury related. She added:

“I don’t don’t what is going on, but he is not 100% mentally or physically.”

More to come as this story develops.

HoofedInTheChest
01-05-2017, 10:13 AM
true or false reported on facebook::

A French reporter has just made some very interesting comments during her appearance on 91,9 Sports radio this morning.

According to Chantal Machabee, a well respected reporter for RDS in Quebec, Montreal Canadiens star goaltgender Carey Price was spotted breaking not one but two of his sticks against the goal posts out of frustration at something during the Habs most recent practice.

Machabee also added that Price has not been himself as of late, and while she clearly stated it was speculative on her part she seems to suspect this is injury related. She added:

“I don’t don’t what is going on, but he is not 100% mentally or physically.”

More to come as this story develops.
Maybe it just dawned on him that he plays for the Habs...

Track Collector
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Columbus might be a good play seeing that cj gave his team the kiss of death. :p

Getting ready to order crow (with the money I saved by not betting on Columbus). :D

Still about 23 minutes left to play, but cj appears to be right on!! :jump:

cj
01-05-2017, 09:47 PM

Greyfox
01-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Canada vs USA Jr Championship was almost as good a game as you're ever going to see.
Both teams were top notch. Congrats to Team USA.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have come to dislike shootouts in major matches such as these.
That's sport conforming to strict TV allotted time slots.
I don't like them in the NHL either in any game.
Overtime: 1 goalie and 3 skaters per team. In playoffs, play until it's over.
In the regular season, make the overtime 10 minutes and if it's still tied give both teams 1 point for the tie.

HoofedInTheChest
01-06-2017, 08:04 AM
You will now be known as "The Puck Swami".

I really hope you took the point spread on the Caps.

What are the odds of Torts bag skating the team today?

HoofedInTheChest
01-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Very grateful that Arizona took Strome.

cj
01-06-2017, 11:44 AM
You will now be known as "The Puck Swami".

I really hope you took the point spread on the Caps.

I have no way to bet sports here which is probably a good thing :)

ldiatone
01-06-2017, 01:23 PM

hes just mad he didnt break the old record...... :cool:

HoofedInTheChest
01-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Patrik Laine got lit-up!

The Jets were breaking out of their zone while under pressure, and a forechecker was bearing down on the puck carrier (Mark Scheifele), Scheifele broke the golden rule, never give a linemate a “deathpass”. Laine had a forechecker bearing down on him, and with Scheifele under pressure he was forced to feed the puck to Laine who had his head down. Just after Laine received the pass, Jake McCabe was right in his grill and lowered the boom. I thought the hit was perfectly legal, whether it was the hit or the fact that Laine hit the back of his head on the ice is irrelevant, Scheifele was to blame for his linemates concussion.

You never pass the puck to someone when there is a forechecker bearing down on the receiver.

In other news...

The Goat had his first NHL fight last night, and i must admit, the Goat knows how to throw a haymaker. Bobby Farnham made the mistake of asking the Goat to dance, and the French-Canadian obliged, lighting up Farnham’s face until they dropped to the ice. The legend continues...

Toronto has lost 13 straight games to the Habs. :mad:

Leafs start their bye week today, no games until next Friday.

MutuelClerk
01-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Damn Hoofed, we are on the same page. Just came on to say the Jets should have went after Scheifele. A slow backhand pass to the middle of the ice like that. Shame on him. Terrible. I hope Laine is ok and back soon. The kid is a very special player.

Long live The Goat. Rocky Rocky Rocky........

HoofedInTheChest
01-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Long live The Goat. Rocky Rocky Rocky........
I can’t say that Bobby Farnham is the sharpest tool in the shed, at 5’-10” and 188 pounds, i would love to know what he was thinking at the time. “Let’s see, i’m going to go after the guy who is 6’-5” and 238 pounds, and prove to my coach that i don’t belong in the minors.”

There were better options out there if you were trying to impress your coach, the only thing that he proved is that he has a second career as a punching bag.

woodtoo
01-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Patrik Laine got lit-up!

The Jets were breaking out of their zone while under pressure, and a forechecker was bearing down on the puck carrier (Mark Scheifele), Scheifele broke the golden rule, never give a linemate a “deathpass”. Laine had a forechecker bearing down on him, and with Scheifele under pressure he was forced to feed the puck to Laine who had his head down. Just after Laine received the pass, Jake McCabe was right in his grill and lowered the boom. I thought the hit was perfectly legal, whether it was the hit or the fact that Laine hit the back of his head on the ice is irrelevant, Scheifele was to blame for his linemates concussion.

You never pass the puck to someone when there is a forechecker bearing down on the receiver.

In other news...

The Goat had his first NHL fight last night, and i must admit, the Goat knows how to throw a haymaker. Bobby Farnham made the mistake of asking the Goat to dance, and the French-Canadian obliged, lighting up Farnham’s face until they dropped to the ice. The legend continues...

Toronto has lost 13 straight games to the Habs. :mad:

Leafs start their bye week today, no games until next Friday.
May have been a "clean" hit, but awful intent.
Jake McCabe will have a target on him for quite some time, and not just the Jets, no team likes to see a star player treated like that, I'm sure Leafs fans
would agree.

HoofedInTheChest
01-08-2017, 02:36 PM
May have been a "clean" hit, but awful intent.
Jake McCabe will have a target on him for quite some time, and not just the Jets, no team likes to see a star player treated like that, I'm sure Leafs fans
would agree.
Intent? When has an open ice hit ever resulted in something nice? I find this hypocritical coming from a Jets fan, how many guys has your team tried to lay out over the years? I’m sure Big Buff has the best intentions when he goes to light someone up. Intent, don’t make me laugh, the Winnipeg Jets have been the hardest hitting team in the league since their return. Live by the sword, die by the sword, payback is a bitch!

Ultimately, a player is responsible for his own well being. Skating up the ice with your head down gets no sympathy from me, being so careless with a pass with a noted bonecrusher on the ice gets no sympathy from me.

Before you come back at me and say that i would have a different opinion if it was Auston Matthews on the receiving end of that hit, i would say my opinion would be the exact same. Laine and his linemates should have been aware of who was on the ice at the time, it’s the player’s responsibility to know when there is a bonecrusher on the ice. If not, you pay the ultimate price with your ignorance.

Jake McCabe does not deserve to have a target on his back, he was simply doing his job. Passing the blame onto McCabe is a copout, Scheifele deserves a cuff upside the head for that incredibly dangerous pass, and Laine learned a valuable lesson, keep your f’n head up kid, this isn’t lawn bowling.

woodtoo
01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Tough crowd.

woodtoo
01-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Allow me to rephrase, when you take our top player out of the game, you better keep you god damn head up next time we meet. :eek:

MutuelClerk
01-08-2017, 07:32 PM
Allow me to rephrase, when you take our top player out of the game, you better keep you god damn head up next time we meet. :eek:

The horrible pass took out your top player more than McCabe did. I agree McCabe might be a marked man in Winnipeg. But that's just passing the buck because Scheifele on that play shouldn't have passed the puck. Like I mentioned earlier I hope Laine is back ASAP he's a special young player. Do the Sabres and Jets play again this season?

HoofedInTheChest
01-08-2017, 08:23 PM
The horrible pass took out your top player more than McCabe did. I agree McCabe might be a marked man in Winnipeg. But that's just passing the buck because Scheifele on that play shouldn't have passed the puck. Like I mentioned earlier I hope Laine is back ASAP he's a special young player. Do the Sabres and Jets play again this season?
Scheifele gift wrapped Laine and served him up on a platter for the Sabres, they couldn’t have done a better job of leaving him vulnerable, it has to be the dumbest play i've seen this season. What made me laugh was when Scheifele went after McCabe after the hit, knowing full well that it was his pass that caused the problem in the first place.

In that situation, Scheifele should have put it off the glass or iced the puck, it was the only logical play, he had no lane to skate the puck out, unfortunately he chose door #3.

The Jets have been throwing their weight around for years, don’t you think it’s inevitable that you’re going to get some retribution eventually? And who do you think they are going to go after? That’s right, your best goal scorer.

They don’t play again this season, maybe in the Cup Final? :lol:

ldiatone
01-09-2017, 02:19 AM
pens won again :)

HoofedInTheChest
01-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Toskala, Bernier, Enroth...

What do we have on the Ducks that we can dump our goaltending problems onto them?

Now that we have our shiny new toy in Curtis McELHinney (not sure how to pronounce that), Enroth was dealt for a 7th round pick (seriously?), i would have been fine with a PTBNL.

HoofedInTheChest
01-11-2017, 12:31 PM
I’m a little perplexed, does Anaheim understand how waivers work? Yesterday there were 3 goalies put on waivers, Jonas Gustavsson, Anton Khudobin, and Curtis McElhinney. These guys were free for the taking, and Toronto did just that, claiming McElhinney. Instead, Anaheim burned a 7th round pick for an asset worth basically nothing, and proceeded to send him to the minors.

Both Enroth and McElhinney have very small sample sizes this season, but the latter has put up significantly better numbers this season, not to mention he is 6’-3” compared to Enroth who is 5’-10”. Obviously, 7th rounders generally don’t turn into much, but I’d rather have it than not, you just have to look at Connor Brown to see that some late rounders do pan out. I really don’t understand the thought process behind this, but then again this is the organization that hired Dave Nonis after he ran the Leafs into the ground.

Greyfox
01-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Yesterday there were 3 goalies put on waivers, Jonas Gustavsson, Anton Khudobin, and Curtis McElhinney.

So far nobody took Gustavson so he sat as backup for the Oilers last night.
Most grandmothers could play better in goal than him.
Someone, please take him.

ldiatone
01-11-2017, 06:00 PM
pens and caps tonite....Let Go Pens!

HoofedInTheChest
01-11-2017, 06:23 PM
pens and caps tonite....Let Go Pens!
I’m anxiously waiting for the Puck Swami’s prediction.

ldiatone
01-11-2017, 07:31 PM
I’m anxiously waiting for the Puck Swami’s prediction.
game at WAS. could b a cap win. regular season about ready to start feb 1.

HoofedInTheChest
01-14-2017, 11:18 AM
That was a really nice ceremony they had last night for the police officer that passed away, a very classy move by the organization. :ThmbUp:

There you have it, the Goat has played 10 games in the NHL and has essentially activated the first year of his ELC, if i were Ben Smith i would be getting nervous.

I thought he had one of his better games last night, his defensive zone face-offs (55% against the Rangers) has been slowly improving (49.57% to date), and his play along the half wall in the defensive zone has been very solid. His increased minutes tells me that Babs is becoming more and more confident with his game, and is being rewarded. He is making it very difficult for management to send him back down, and seeing that his ELC has been activated, i believe he will be sticking around. Viva La Chèvre!

In the history of the franchise, that was the very first time the Leafs have won a game on Friday the 13th.

There are 3 teams in the NHL that have a top 10 rating on the power-play as well as the penalty kill, the Leafs, Rangers, and Blues. The Leafs boast the best road penalty kill in the league.

woodtoo
01-14-2017, 12:01 PM
With all the good stats why are they not winning more?

Greyfox
01-14-2017, 01:20 PM

They have to learn what it takes to hold on to a win. They will.

HoofedInTheChest
01-14-2017, 01:55 PM
At least they can beat Arizona, can you say the same? :lol:

cj
01-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Capitals.

Just feel that is necessary in any NHL thread. They are not only on an eight game winning streak, they are completely spanking some of the better teams in the league.

ldiatone
01-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Capitals.

Just feel that is necessary in any NHL thread. They are not only on an eight game winning streak, they are completely spanking some of the better teams in the league.
true but its still PRE SASON HOCKEY :rolleyes:

ldiatone
01-14-2017, 04:07 PM
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-new-phil-kessel-on-and-off-the-ice

Greyfox
01-15-2017, 02:08 AM
Hayley Wickenheiser, considered by many to be the greatest female athlete to ever play hockey, announced her retirement earlier this week.
The Edmonton Oilers gave her a tribute before Saturday evenings game.
Hayley captained Team Canada and won 4 Gold Medals and 1 Silver at the Olympic games over her 20 year career, which also included multiple World Championships.
She will now be pursuing studies towards a degree in Medicine.
Thank You Hayley! You were truly great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayley_Wickenheiser

HoofedInTheChest
01-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Hayley Wickenheiser, considered by many to be the greatest female athlete to ever play hockey, announced her retirement earlier this week.
The Edmonton Oilers gave her a tribute before Saturday evenings game.
Hayley captained Team Canada and won 4 Gold Medals and 1 Silver at the Olympic games over her 20 year career, which also included multiple World Championships.
She will now be pursuing studies towards a degree in Medicine.
Thank You Hayley! You were truly great.

Amen to that Greyfox, Thank you, Hayley! 🍁

HoofedInTheChest
01-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Yeah, there is no way it 35 or 40%. A game that lopsided is a rare bird in the NHL.
Win Probability

Washington = 64%
Philadelphia = 36%

Philly is on the second half of a back to back after getting spanked by Boston on the road yesterday.

Didn't some pigeon on the Washington Capitals reach 1000 points this week?

cj
01-15-2017, 04:32 PM
Win Probability

Washington = 64%
Philadelphia = 36%

Philly is on the second half of a back to back after getting spanked by Boston on the road yesterday.

Didn't some pigeon on the Washington Capitals reach 1000 points this week?

Another outright spanking today. It is only January and we all know the Caps history in May, but this is a scary good streak especially considering they are doing it without Ovi scoring much.

HoofedInTheChest
01-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Another outright spanking today. It is only January and we all know the Caps history in May, but this is a scary good streak especially considering they are doing it without Ovi scoring much.
I was waiting for the bottom to drop out on Philly in the 3rd period, their legs had nothing left after the back to back. 1 down, 2 to go.

It’s been an impressive run for the Caps, they have shot up to the top of the league standings in the process, but there was one team they couldn’t spank during this winning streak, you might even say they were lucky to win. ;)

Let’s hope they don’t peak too early, you guys have suffered enough.

- Ovechkin is the 84th player in NHL history to reach 1000 career points

- Ovechkin is the 37th player in NHL history to record at least 1000 points with one franchise.

- Ovechkin is the 4th Russian born player to reach 1000 points, joining Sergei Fedorov, Alexander Mogilny and Alex Kovalev.

- Ovechkin ranks second in points among players who have never reached the round before the Cup Final or the Cup Final. He has a long way to go to catch Marcel Dionne, who had 1,771 points while never reaching a Cup Semi-final or Final.

- Crosby needs 16 more points to reach 1000 points, and has played 139 fewer games than Ovechkin. Crosby has averaged 1.32 points per game over his career, while Ovechkin has averaged 1.13 points per game.

woodtoo
01-15-2017, 05:53 PM
At least they can beat Arizona, can you say the same? :lol:
They beat Arizona. :lol:

cj
01-15-2017, 07:13 PM
- Crosby needs 16 more points to reach 1000 points, and has played 139 fewer games than Ovechkin. Crosby has averaged 1.32 points per game over his career, while Ovechkin has averaged 1.13 points per game.

Sid is great of course, but they play different positions. Imagine the numbers if Sid was feeding Ovi! Ovi also should get points for durability. That has to count for something.

HoofedInTheChest
01-15-2017, 09:07 PM
Ovi also should get points for durability. That has to count for something.
Absolutely, i don’t ever recall Ovechkin ever having a concussion, or any other major injury for that matter. Durability goes a long way in the NHL and definitely counts for something, a player isn’t worth a whole lot when he is sitting on the shelf.

You can’t really fault Sid for his original concussion (mind you he was admiring his pass), that hit from David Steckel was dirty in my opinion, and could have been avoided. I wasn’t too pleased when the Leafs signed Steckel, he was a POS in my books. Anyway, it was later revealed that Sid had suffered fractures to two vertebrae in his neck.

Once you receive a concussion, you are considered “damaged goods”, and there is a very good chance that it will rear its ugly head again. Patrik Laine falls under this category now, and this will be something that he will have to deal with for the rest of his career.

The fact that Ovechkin has avoided such injuries is impressive, especially since he doesn’t shy away from the physical game. At the end of the day it comes down to not putting yourself in a vulnerable situation.

HoofedInTheChest
01-17-2017, 10:09 AM
You get a goal and you get a goal and you get a goal! Everyone gets a goal!!!

That game was insane, the Caps went over 300 minutes without allowing an even strength goal against, that was before the flood gates opened up last night.

It was a rough night for Ovechkin, he was on the ice for 6 goals against!

cj
01-17-2017, 10:35 AM
You get a goal and you get a goal and you get a goal! Everyone gets a goal!!!

That game was insane, the Caps went over 300 minutes without allowing an even strength goal against, that was before the flood gates opened up last night.

It was a rough night for Ovechkin, he was on the ice for 6 goals against!

I didn't get to watch last night but did DVR it for later. Will check it out today. Sounded entertaining at least and like the Caps stole a point.

HoofedInTheChest
01-19-2017, 01:47 PM
With the loss of Morgan Rielly, the Leafs will have to deal with some adversity for the first time this season. They have been relatively injury free all season long, and tonight’s game against the Rangers will be a very good test for the team.

Gardiner moves up to the top pairing with Nikita Zeitsev, and Frankie Corrado makes it into the line-up paired up with Connor Carrick. Knowing Babs, i don’t foresee Corrado getting more than 10 minutes of ice time tonight, he will be sheltered leaving the other pairings with 15 extra minutes of high impact ice time after the loss of Rielly.

Corrado has been barking about his lack of playing time this season with the Leafs, and Babs summed it up perfectly today, “the balls in your court.” Thank god he just came off a conditioning stint with the Marlies, before that, he was a highly paid season ticket holder in the press box.

The last time the Leafs and Rangers met, the Leafs blanketed the Rangers using their speed and relentless forecheck while not allowing the Blueshirts to use their speed to their advantage. I have a feeling that the Rangers will be playing with a little more fortitude tonight seeing that Hank has been a tire fire of late, allowing 16 goals on 76 shots over his last seven periods.

Vigneault said that Lundqvist will get the start tonight seeing that Antti Raanta is still out with an LBI.

Should be a good game.

woodtoo
01-19-2017, 03:19 PM
We beat the Coyotes finally, without Patrick Laine. :D Go Leafs.

johnhannibalsmith
01-19-2017, 06:51 PM

The fact that Ovechkin has avoided such injuries is impressive, especially since he doesn’t shy away from the physical game. At the end of the day it comes down to not putting yourself in a vulnerable situation.

I'll add one thing to the last sentence even though I largely agree with you and don't pay nearly enough attention anymore to even disagree with much of anyone, but anyway: I just don't think people want to hurt Ovechkin the way they do Crosby. It might sound a little rough and I don't mean it exactly the way it sounds, but when you run at Ovechkin and get him angry, he plays better. He gets mad and gets tough and gets determined. Crosby just gets mad, which is fun for an opposing player.

MutuelClerk
01-20-2017, 12:49 AM
Leafs really did miss Rielly tonight. But they've been playing great and I feel like bragging on them. Our forward lines are the most cohesive I've seen since the Pat Burns days. Everyone knows their roles and lives up to expectations. Babcock has really done well in this regard. The way these forwards compete for the puck is cool to watch. We aren't the biggest team but we win more than our share of puck battles Hyman, Brown, Kadri, Soshnikov, Leo and yes even the Goat hasn't looked out of place. Our special teams have been just that. Really special, really good. Killing a penalty, so aggressive making the other team make mistakes. And when they don't make mistakes Freddy Andersen has really come on in goal. The PP two units, crisp passing and getting to the net. I have all the respect in the world for Connor McDavid but I can see Auston Matthews being every bit his equal down the road. Matthews already uses his size way better than most is only 19 and doesn't have his man body yet. Very savvy seems to be in the right place and usually buries his chances. A pleasure to watch.

What scares me is the " rookie wall " all kids seem to hit. If this happens to Toronto that means eight players around the same time will lose their effectiveness. That may be critical battling for the playoffs ( yes I said the P word). This season has been really great. Taking a road trip to Columbus next month to watch them live. Two of the faster teams in the league and really looking forward to it. Ok, your serve Hoofed......

HoofedInTheChest
01-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Leafs really did miss Rielly tonight. But they've been playing great and I feel like bragging on them. Our forward lines are the most cohesive I've seen since the Pat Burns days. Everyone knows their roles and lives up to expectations. Babcock has really done well in this regard. The way these forwards compete for the puck is cool to watch. We aren't the biggest team but we win more than our share of puck battles Hyman, Brown, Kadri, Soshnikov, Leo and yes even the Goat hasn't looked out of place. Our special teams have been just that. Really special, really good. Killing a penalty, so aggressive making the other team make mistakes. And when they don't make mistakes Freddy Andersen has really come on in goal. The PP two units, crisp passing and getting to the net. I have all the respect in the world for Connor McDavid but I can see Auston Matthews being every bit his equal down the road. Matthews already uses his size way better than most is only 19 and doesn't have his man body yet. Very savvy seems to be in the right place and usually buries his chances. A pleasure to watch.

What scares me is the " rookie wall " all kids seem to hit. If this happens to Toronto that means eight players around the same time will lose their effectiveness. That may be critical battling for the playoffs ( yes I said the P word). This season has been really great. Taking a road trip to Columbus next month to watch them live. Two of the faster teams in the league and really looking forward to it. Ok, your serve Hoofed......
It was lobotomy night at the ACC, the boys were overdue for a stinker, it was dumb play after dumb play after dumb play. Kadri wins the "bonehead player of the night" award.

I thought Corrado did very little to help his cause last night, as expected, Babs sheltered Corrado and finished the game with 11:36 of ice time.

I thought Gardiner turned a corner this season under Babcock, but you can’t teach “hockey smarts”, he has no business being a first pairing defenseman. I agree with you about Rielly, he reads and processes the play at a different level than everyone else, he is not perfect, but he is the best we have on the back end.

As far as the “rookie wall” is concerned, February will be the true test, 14 games in 28 days will show us what the kids can do in the “dog days” of the season.

Part of me wants to see the team make the playoffs and gain some much needed experience, while the other part of me wants another kick at the can for a lottery pick.

F’n Ottawa, Columbus couldn’t do us a solid last night?

HoofedInTheChest
01-20-2017, 11:36 AM
I'll add one thing to the last sentence even though I largely agree with you and don't pay nearly enough attention anymore to even disagree with much of anyone, but anyway: I just don't think people want to hurt Ovechkin the way they do Crosby. It might sound a little rough and I don't mean it exactly the way it sounds, but when you run at Ovechkin and get him angry, he plays better. He gets mad and gets tough and gets determined. Crosby just gets mad, which is fun for an opposing player.
Yep, i can’t argue with you there.

Mind you Crosby did a good job of controlling his emotions against San Jose in the Finals last year, they made his life miserable but he didn’t get sucked into a retaliation penalty.

ldiatone
01-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Pro Hockey Rumors ‏@prohockeyrumors 2h2 hours ago
More
Claude Julien's job as Bruins bench boss appears safe for the time being.

ldiatone
01-21-2017, 04:36 PM
Yep, i can’t argue with you there.

Mind you Crosby did a good job of controlling his emotions against San Jose in the Finals last year, they made his life miserable but he didn’t get sucked into a retaliation penalty.
and will just let yizs pick on crosby who has 2 cups-MVP-gold medal-world cup hardware :p

ldiatone
01-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Pro Hockey Rumors ‏@prohockeyrumors 56s56 seconds ago
More
Hawks Linked To Tomas Tatar And Gustav Nyquist

HoofedInTheChest
01-21-2017, 05:56 PM
and will just let yizs pick on crosby who has 2 cups-MVP-gold medal-world cup hardware :p
I’m not caught up on my ebonics, but nobody is dissing on Darryl, especially me. You forgot to mention his World Junior Gold and a World Championship. The only thing missing from his trophy case is a Memorial Cup, what a slacker!

Greyfox
01-21-2017, 07:30 PM
As far as the “rookie wall” is concerned, February will be the true test, 14 games in 28 days will show us what the kids can do in the “dog days” of the season.

Part of every team's schedule is crammed at some point of the season, in part due to the relatively meaningless World Cup back in September.
It's a ridiculous schedule. Just ridiculous.

MutuelClerk
01-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Agree on schedule Greyfox. Tough late penalty on the Leafs tonight. Not sure what JVR's % is on shootouts but I'm guessing he goes backhand 99.9% of the time. Since I bragged on my team we haven't won a game. I take it all back hockey gods. We suck. you rule. :)

MutuelClerk
01-21-2017, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah, I hate three point games.

HoofedInTheChest
01-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Agree on schedule Greyfox. Tough late penalty on the Leafs tonight. Not sure what JVR's % is on shootouts but I'm guessing he goes backhand 99.9% of the time. Since I bragged on my team we haven't won a game. I take it all back hockey gods. We suck. you rule. :)
Marincin taking a penalty with three minutes left... :ThmbUp:

ldiatone
01-22-2017, 05:49 PM
could be Claude Juliens last game to day. 5-1 pens

Greyfox
01-22-2017, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah, I hate three point games.

Me too.
Have both teams play 10 minute overtime 3 0n 3.
If one scores, then 2 for the winner, 0 for the loser.
If still tied, both get 1 point each.
The shootout idea should be tossed.

Greyfox
01-22-2017, 10:51 PM
I take it all back hockey gods. We suck. you rule. :)

Stay positive.

If I had this chance on a horse I'd be all over it.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

MutuelClerk
01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Me too.
Have both teams play 10 minute overtime 3 0n 3.
If one scores, then 2 for the winner, 0 for the loser.
If still tied, both get 1 point each.
The shootout idea should be tossed.

I slightly disagree. The thinking today is no ones wants to see a tie ( for whatever reason). Settle overtime anyway you like. But once it's settled the winner gets points and the loser does not. I mean stick by your guns if you don't want a tie. I do prefer all games be three point games, not just games going to OT.

MutuelClerk
01-23-2017, 10:44 AM
Stay positive.

If I had this chance on a horse I'd be all over it.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

I'm very positive, just STUPIDstitous. I do agree with Hoofed, we will know the Leafs fate come early March. February could be a very taxing month. Also agree I'm not sure I want the Leafs in the playoffs one more chance at lottery heaven could really help in the future.

MutuelClerk
01-24-2017, 09:32 AM
What was Johnny Hockey looking at last night? Granted Leo has had some shaky hits in his NHL career but not his one. He was coming right at him. How could he not see him and prepare for the crunch? The end of the game slew foot was tasteless and is going to cost young Mr. Tzachuk.

I'm glad Gaudreau is okay. These talented little guys need to have their heads on a swivel. Hear me 16 and 29? The better you play the more marked you become. Pay attention. Hoping the Leafs put it on the Wings Wednesday. I take a ton of crap around here.

Greyfox
01-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Matthew Tkachuk is a great rookie.
Unfortunately, he's developing a reputation around the league of pulling dirty stuff.
He slew footed Edmonton Oiler Brandon Davidson in October and put him out of the lineup for about two months.
In the NHL, what goes around, comes around. Tkachuk will get his deserved medicine yet.

HoofedInTheChest
01-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Matthew Tkachuk is a great rookie.
Unfortunately, he's developing a reputation around the league of pulling dirty stuff.
He slew footed Edmonton Oiler Brandon Davidson in October and put him out of the lineup for about two months.
In the NHL, what goes around, comes around. Tkachuk will get his deserved medicine yet.
Like father, like son.... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

HoofedInTheChest
01-24-2017, 11:47 AM
I believe he will finish the season with more points than Mathews or Nylander.
As of today, my boy Marner has taken over the rookie points lead. :cool:

The Leafs forechecking last night was a work of art.

MutuelClerk
01-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Like father, like son.... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

That tree is pretty good stock. He is a great rookie in a year that has a lot of them. I think he gets a game or two for this. Like Fox pointed out he already has a history of actions like this.

cj
01-24-2017, 04:44 PM
Caps just keep on rolling. I can't recall a team winning by such lopsided scores so often in such a short period of time as they have lately. They have won eight games since December 31st (only 24 days!) by 3 goals or more and it is a combination of offense, defense, and goaltending. They are 12-0-1 over that span with four shutouts and three one goal allowed games.

I'll add the schedule this year is ridiculous. I assume it is because of the world cup, but my gosh. They play pretty much every other night with a few back to backs thrown in. That has to be tough on the body.

woodtoo
01-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Caps just keep on rolling. I can't recall a team winning by such lopsided scores so often in such a short period of time as they have lately. They have won eight games since December 31st (only 24 days!) by 3 goals or more and it is a combination of offense, defense, and goaltending. They are 12-0-1 over that span with four shutouts and three one goal allowed games.

I'll add the schedule this year is ridiculous. I assume it is because of the world cup, but my gosh. They play pretty much every other night with a few back to backs thrown in. That has to be tough on the body.
I think every team goes thru a tough sked. at some time this year.
Luckily Winnipeg had theirs early.
Tough loss to Anaheim last night but spirited.
Expect to see Laine back against the Sharks tonite, Paveluck been playing good since his recall. Wish we would go on a streak like the Caps it sure gets the fans going. :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
01-24-2017, 09:11 PM
I could cry, this is what $6.25 million a season gets you.

cj
01-25-2017, 09:52 AM
I think every team goes thru a tough sked. at some time this year.
Luckily Winnipeg had theirs early.
Tough loss to Anaheim last night but spirited.
Expect to see Laine back against the Sharks tonite, Paveluck been playing good since his recall. Wish we would go on a streak like the Caps it sure gets the fans going. :ThmbUp:

Agree, I wasn't trying to say it was just the Caps, I meant the NHL schedule in general. In the NBA you can usually pencil in some games we call fans call "schedule losses", almost like the opponent doesn't even matter. The Caps had one last night IMO.

HoofedInTheChest
01-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Agree, I wasn't trying to say it was just the Caps, I meant the NHL schedule in general. In the NBA you can usually pencil in some games we call fans call "schedule losses", almost like the opponent doesn't even matter. The Caps had one last night IMO.
I don’t know what the NHL was thinking when they implemented a “bye week”, all it really does is compress the schedule even more. Those 5 recovery days would be a lot more useful scattered throughout the season, especially near the end. And why did so many teams get a bye week so early in the season? No one is fatigued in January, especially right after the Christmas break and just before the All-Star break, it’s ridiculous. Those days off would have been much better served in late February or March.

The impressive part about the Caps run is that they are doing all of this while playing in the toughest division in the NHL. At this point in time, it appears as though the Cup contenders are all in the Metro division, the Caps and Pens are the consensus favorites among NHL coach’s, mind you we should show some love to Minnesota as well.

This leads me to the other problem in the NHL, the playoff format. The way it stands now, there is a chance that the Caps and Pens could face each other in the first round if Columbus takes over top spot in the Metro. Even if they don’t, the Caps will face the Pens in the second round, what a pile of horsesh*t.

I wish they would go to the format of 1vs16, 2vs15, and so on, and as every round progresses, your opponent becomes a little more difficult. I understand that travel comes into play in this kind of scenario, but they way it stands now, you could have your best possible match-ups early on in the playoffs, which leads to an anticlimactic finish. Playing your way out of your own division is just plain dumb, what happens when your division is loaded with Cup contenders? Three of the top four teams in the league all come from the Metro.

MutuelClerk
01-26-2017, 08:52 AM
I believe the players wanted the bye week. It was part of the deal for playing in the World Cup. I think the Leafs-Wings game was one of those " schedule losses " for the Wings. That game was slow, tons of whistles. Hoping the Leafs show up tonight against the Flyers. Three games in four nights. Pretty good first half of the season for the boys in blue and white.

HoofedInTheChest
01-26-2017, 10:40 AM
I believe the players wanted the bye week. It was part of the deal for playing in the World Cup.
The players were offered the bye week as a concession for the condensed schedule, which they stupidly agreed to. The PA had dollar signs running through their heads at the time, seeing that the money from the World Cup was going to be split 50/50 between the NHL and the PA. What the players were not aware of at the time was the fact that the players playing in the tournament had a vote, and decided to keep the bulk of the profits for themselves. In the end, non tournament players only received $11K from the World Cup. These same players are not very happy these days about playing in a super condensed schedule for an extra $11K, i wouldn’t be very happy either. That’s what you get for signing off on a tournament without knowing what the actual figures are coming back in return, as usual, the players got rinsed.

The guys in the NHL head office must have been laughing to themselves, "we will offer them a bye week, and they will probably be too stupid to realize that it will make the schedule even worse."

HoofedInTheChest
01-29-2017, 11:42 AM
Imagine the numbers if Sid was feeding Ovi!
You may get your wish today. :cool:

cj
01-29-2017, 06:12 PM
You may get your wish today. :cool:

Here it comes! :)

MutuelClerk
01-29-2017, 09:48 PM
I'll start watching Tuesday. I'm sure the show is great. Hope Auston holds his own. I just don't enjoy three on three with no defense. Yeah, stay off my lawn....:)

Greyfox
01-30-2017, 09:36 AM
In his column today, hockey writer Mike Zeisberger said:

"If you didn't enjoy this weekend, you don't like hockey."

I take it that Zeisberger and a few of his sports writer cronies had a great time sopping up the suds and atmosphere in Los Angeles.
Undoubtedly the players did too.

But what about the fans?
Personally, I found the "Skills Competitions" on Saturday, and the games on Sunday, a boring total waste of time.

As far as I'm concerned, they should do away with the All-Star Game.

HoofedInTheChest
01-30-2017, 10:11 AM
In his column today, hockey writer Mike Zeisberger said:

"If you didn't enjoy this weekend, you don't like hockey."

I would make one edit to his remark...

"If you didn't enjoy this weekend, you don't like shinny."

HoofedInTheChest
01-31-2017, 10:16 AM
35 games in 69 days, it’s time to put your big boy pants on!

Rielly is a GTD for tonight's tilt against Dallas.

MutuelClerk
01-31-2017, 10:37 AM
That scares me. Not enough rest. Not enough practice. At least it's a level playing field. I wouldn't rush Rielly back. He's our best defenseman although Jake has played pretty well this season. Zaitsev has been solid too. After that were kind of weak. I believe Carrick can develop. Learning on the job is hard. You get exposed in this league. Pretty much every other night now. Like the playoffs. Quite a grind for the players. Teams with depth in their organization will be rewarded. That will be the Leafs in 2-3 years. Not now.

Greyfox
01-31-2017, 11:42 AM
New York Islanders likely leaving Brooklyn.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-islanders-likely-leave-barclays-center/

HoofedInTheChest
01-31-2017, 01:46 PM
New York Islanders likely leaving Brooklyn.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-islanders-likely-leave-barclays-center/
The Hartford Islanders has a nice ring to it, where else can they play?

I have a feeling that something else will be leaving Brooklyn...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/03/23/tavares_john250.jpg

HoofedInTheChest
02-01-2017, 09:17 AM
The St. Louis Blues have fired head coach Ken Hitchcock. Mike Yeo will take over head coaching duties.

Just in time for the Leafs to roll in on Thursday, and hopefully with a better effort. :eek:

MutuelClerk
02-01-2017, 09:28 AM
We outshot Dallas 2-1 but I didn't like the effort either. Hitchcock said this was his last season in St. Louis. He was right, it ended sooner than he thought.

Greyfox
02-01-2017, 09:50 AM
The Hartford Islanders has a nice ring to it, where else can they play?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/03/23/tavares_john250.jpg

Queens.

Greyfox
02-01-2017, 09:51 AM
The St. Louis Blues have fired head coach Ken Hitchcock. Mike Yeo will take over head coaching duties.

Hitch had Yeo looking over his shoulder all year.
He knew the writing was on the wall.
Hitchcock is a brilliant hockey mind.

HoofedInTheChest
02-01-2017, 10:07 AM
Queens.
What’s in Queens?

The Islanders need an arena plan by the end of this season, or this will have a snowball effect next year. They lost some impactful guys last summer due to the uncertainty on the Island, and if they lose Tavares as well they are dead in the water... and no, i don’t want him in Toronto.

Greyfox
02-01-2017, 10:25 AM
What’s in Queens?

A new arena.
See--> http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-move-queens-1.3690182

HoofedInTheChest
02-01-2017, 10:34 AM
A new arena.
See--> http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-move-queens-1.3690182
Cool, i hope it works out for them.

HoofedInTheChest
02-01-2017, 01:00 PM
This and that...

Toronto forward Mitch Marner has been named the NHL's rookie of the month for January, becoming the third Maple Leaf to win the award over the first four months of the season.

Patrick Sharp: "Whenever the Stars aren’t on the ice, I am watching the #Leafs. They’re exciting. Great for the league."

Toronto Maple Leafs hire Jacques Caron as a special assignment coach.

The NHL's top-selling sweaters, Oct. 1-Dec. 31:

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Auston Matthews
3. Patrick Kane
4. Jonathan Toews
5. Connor McDavid

woodtoo
02-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Good luck against St. Louis tonite.
Jets had one of their better games against them Tues. hopefully reaching that next level both Leafs and Jets need to attain respectability.
Our 3 rookies are firing on all cylinder's. Josh Morrissey, while not playing to his offensive potential has never missed a beat especially covering for Buffs' frequent brain lapses. And Trouba will earn his big payday with his excellent play. ( cant imagine if he sat the whole year.)

HoofedInTheChest
02-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Sad day in Leafland, the Goat has been sent back to the minors.

This game makes me nervous, the Blues will be playing playoff hockey tonight with the coaching change, i just hope we can get to their sh*tty goaltending early.