PDA

View Full Version : Should sportscasters and sports radio hoists talk politics?

Inner Dirt
09-30-2016, 11:08 AM
I find it highly annoying when a blowhard like Dan LeBatard (I don't listen to his show anymore) has to share all his liberal views on a sports talk show. I don't want to hear how motor mouth Phil Simms will no longer say Redskins or Bob Costas's views on gun control. I don't want to hear their political views even if I agree with them. I came to watch a game, listen to one, or hear sports discussed, nothing more.

Anyone else highly annoyed at politics creeping into sports? It didn't used to be this way. Of course most of it is liberal spewing as the largest sports conglomerate ESPN is about as far left as it gets.

Saratoga_Mike
09-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Totally agree - I don't care if they're liberal or conservative, keep it out of the broadcast. They should adopt the rules of this forum!

jk3521
09-30-2016, 01:49 PM
I don't want to hear about politics at all anymore. Especially from some freak ex-jock !

johnhannibalsmith
09-30-2016, 03:03 PM
I am curious how John Sterling would call a Donald Trump homerun.

jk3521
09-30-2016, 03:30 PM

He is high (in the polls), He is far (right), He's gone !

Thu-u-u-u-u-h Donald wins !

I wonder if he'd call that one right ! :D

therussmeister
09-30-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't even think they should talk sports.

schweitz
09-30-2016, 05:46 PM
It drives me f-ing crazy. I go to a sports channel or station for sports---nothing else. ESPN is the worst---can't even scroll through sports news on their web page without a political story buried in the middle of the scroll. If I'm listning to a sports radio station and they start talking politics I switch to another station(DFW is blessed with 3 full time sports stations).

barahona44
09-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Or Susan Waldman."Oh my Gawd,of all the dramatic things I've ever seen, Donald is standing in George Steinbrenner's box, oh my goodness gracious,Donald is coming back.He's right there in George's box, my goodness.Donald Trump is a New York Yankee again"

EMD4ME
09-30-2016, 07:31 PM
I get just as annoyed at the track.

I want the important TVs on HORSES.

People change the channel, without permission to news, sports etc.

I change it back and tell them it's a blanken racetrack. You wanna watch the giants, go home.

OR use the damn TV at your personal station.

Reply: Oh I just wanted to see where they were.

Me: Racetrack, we are at the blanken racetrack. Use your own TV.

I agree, Mike Fat scesca was talking politics here in NY. SHUT UP MIKE. All you are paid for is sports. Stick to it.

garyscpa
09-30-2016, 08:53 PM
I don't want to hear about politics at all anymore. Especially from some freak ex-jock !

Exactly, I only get my political views from movie stars. :)

HalvOnHorseracing
09-30-2016, 09:09 PM
I find it highly annoying when a blowhard like Dan LeBatard (I don't listen to his show anymore) has to share all his liberal views on a sports talk show. I don't want to hear how motor mouth Phil Simms will no longer say Redskins or Bob Costas's views on gun control. I don't want to hear their political views even if I agree with them. I came to watch a game, listen to one, or hear sports discussed, nothing more.

Anyone else highly annoyed at politics creeping into sports? It didn't used to be this way. Of course most of it is liberal spewing as the largest sports conglomerate ESPN is about as far left as it gets.
I agree. There's a time and a place and a live sporting event is not the time or the place. But with regard to Phil Simms, if he is truly offended and not just being PC, and all he does is make the statement ONCE, isn't he the equivalent of a baker who refuses to do a wedding cake for a gay couple, except the baker isn't on TV until someone comes to interview him? Acting on his conscience?Simms didn't make the statement on a broadcast. It was an Associated Press story in July 2014 where he made the announcement. He got a lot of interview requests before a Thursday night Redskins/Giants game two months later. I don't know how often it has come up since, but it was a legitimate story at the time, especially if people questioned why he didn't say the name during the broadcast after the game was aired. LeBatard and Costas were editorializing, and in my opinion inappropriately using their bully pulpit. Simms gets a pass from me though.

Tom
09-30-2016, 09:41 PM

:lol: Perfect!

That one Jets game many years ago, on a Saturday, nothing but the track PA feed. No one in the booth. Best game I ever watched.

Back in the day, one guy a game.
Far too much jabbering about nonsense these days. Most of it completely nonsense.

Inner Dirt
09-30-2016, 09:59 PM
:lol: Perfect!

That one Jets game many years ago, on a Saturday, nothing but the track PA feed. No one in the booth. Best game I ever watched.

Back in the day, one guy a game.
Far too much jabbering about nonsense these days. Most of it completely nonsense.

I remember a long time ago in a land far away the TV announcer (Chick Hearn comes to mind) would apologize for talking too much saying he was doing a simulcast and could not have dead air on the radio. Hearn's extra talking was at least trying to give you a visual of the action. Nowadays the TV guys talk as much as the radio guys, with the TV guys as you say a lot of it is jabbering about nonsense.

ElKabong
10-01-2016, 12:33 AM
I don't even want to hear politics in church service. Yet it creeps in every other week or so. I wish entertainers and whatnot would realize they don't have a firmer grasp on issues than the average joe. They simply don't.

Inner Dirt
10-01-2016, 09:22 AM
I don't even want to hear politics in church service. Yet it creeps in every other week or so. I wish entertainers and whatnot would realize they don't have a firmer grasp on issues than the average joe. They simply don't.

I have something I felt was worse in a church. It was a wedding ceremony I was there for the groom as he was the nephew of my best friend, Mike used to work summer break for me when he was in high school. He didn't have a religious bone in his body, but his bride to be occasionally attended church at where the ceremony was held.

It was summer the AC in the church wasn't keeping up and people were packed in like sardines. I am a tank top, sandals, and short guy till the temp gets under 45, but I am in suit and tie.

The ceremony drags on an on and the major cause of that was the preacher used the wedding ceremony as a recruiting drive for his church and talking down to those who did not share his faith. It wasn't my place to say anything, but it was tough to sit through that and then not say something afterward. Of all the weddings I went to I remember that one the most, and it wasn't for a good reason. That marriage ended in divorce after a couple years and two kids. During Mike's navy deployments his wife rotated doing all his high school buddies.

upthecreek
10-01-2016, 10:05 AM

I agree 100% I dont know how anyone listems to those shows

Jess Hawsen Arown
10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
These shows have become unbearable. I don't have a problem if they address controversial issues, but they create controversy when none exists.

No, they should not talk politics. There are plenty of political talk shows to watch or listen to if people want.

I find myself watching reruns of 50 year old TV shows if the other option is sports talk. Do you think Gilligan will ever get off that island? Ginger or Maryanne? And do you think Opie will ever be as smart as his paw, Sheriff Taylor?

Now you'll have to excuse me. I have to wire Paladin because some neighbors are talking politics and I don't want to listen to them.

Inner Dirt
10-01-2016, 03:01 PM

I agree 100% I dont know how anyone listems to those shows

I am a self employed army of one. I do a lot of highly technical tasks and also do things you could teach a monkey to do. When I have to sit down and do the equivalent of screwing caps on two thousand tubes of tooth paste I need to have something to distract my mind and make the time go by faster. A game or sports talk on the radio is perfect for that, without something to follow I will keep counting how many are done and how much time I have left.

I even intently listen to High School football games, AA baseball, D3 football, etc,etc that the average sports fan would have no interest in.
For some reason music does not get my mind away from what I am doing.

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-03-2016, 07:32 PM
ESPN is by far the worst with their pathetic liberal views that they try to shove down our throats. Additionally DO I REALLY CARE that Lebron James is for Hillary!!!!!Stick to basketball Lebron where you 'are king' of the court, not politics.

Inner Dirt
10-04-2016, 11:55 AM
ESPN is by far the worst with their pathetic liberal views that they try to shove down our throats. Additionally DO I REALLY CARE that Lebron James is for Hillary!!!!!Stick to basketball Lebron where you 'are king' of the court, not politics.

I get 3 sports radio stations where I live, all ESPN. That sucks! They are the worst, liberal spewing is allowed on the air and at the same time if an ESPN employee says anything right leaning on their own time they are suspended or fired.

What I don't understand is why anyone would care who Lebron James supports for president. His mother bought him a Hummer H2 on his 18th birthday with a loan secured from future earnings. He has not lived one day as an adult in the real world. He also used his body, not his brain to achieve his immense wealth. Very few people should identify with him in any way.

thaskalos
10-04-2016, 01:29 PM
I get 3 sports radio stations where I live, all ESPN. That sucks! They are the worst, liberal spewing is allowed on the air and at the same time if an ESPN employee says anything right leaning on their own time they are suspended or fired.

What I don't understand is why anyone would care who Lebron James supports for president. His mother bought him a Hummer H2 on his 18th birthday with a loan secured from future earnings. He has not lived one day as an adult in the real world. He also used his body, not his brain to achieve his immense wealth. Very few people should identify with him in any way.

Can those of us who ALSO used our bodies to achieve our wealth, identify with him in some way?

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-04-2016, 04:42 PM

I truly believe that sports figures are not heroes. the real heroes are the fathers and mothers who work 2 and 3 jobs to support their family with great sacrifice for their own needs. YES, they play by the rules and don't depend on the government hand outs to feed their family. It's called pride in one self and dedication to take care of your own. Today the morons idolize these sports figures who are more spoiled than any ten working men combined!!!!

My grandfather kept all males in the family working during the real bad times so they could put food on the table and clothes for their family...that's the way it was done is America long ago before the moochers and the foreigners came with there hands open for government handouts which in turn registered in votes for the democraatic party. Enough of the rant you get the picture.

therussmeister
10-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I truly believe that sports figures are not heroes. the real heroes are the fathers and mothers who work 2 and 3 jobs to support their family with great sacrifice for their own needs. YES, they play by the rules and don't depend on the government hand outs to feed their family. It's called pride in one self and dedication to take care of your own. Today the morons idolize these sports figures who are more spoiled than any ten working men combined!!!!

My grandfather kept all males in the family working during the real bad times so they could put food on the table and clothes for their family...that's the way it was done is America long ago before the moochers and the foreigners came with there hands open for government handouts which in turn registered in votes for the democraatic party. Enough of the rant you get the picture.
The sports figures are spoiled because they are idolized before they have had the chance to grow up.

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-04-2016, 04:56 PM
The sports figures are spoiled because they are idolized before they have had the chance to grow up.

I agree, but at some point people need to grasp the fact that it's the working people that foot the bill for the whole sports business. I know a couple of senior citizens that gave up a real promising potential pro baseball careers because they had to work to support the family. Well times have changed. Look at the number of pro athletes who interrupted there careers to fight in WW2, would the athletes today do the same. I know the circumstances are different, but the patriotism was paramount back then.

jk3521
10-04-2016, 07:33 PM

A hundred years ago half of these guys would be advertised as "freaks" in a carnival sideshow! Either as musclemen, or 7 ft tall giants. :D

Inner Dirt
10-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Can those of us who ALSO used our bodies to achieve our wealth, identify with him in some way?

Go ahead tell me how you can identify with a guy who is 6'8" built like an NFL tight end and has the grace of a ballet dancer and was an instant success as an 18 year old in the NBA. He is a rarity even among pro athletes. Pretty sure he was deemed special at a very young age and treated with privilege. I doubt he even has an average understanding of how government works.

MutuelClerk
10-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Doesn't matter to me. I don't believe you can argue politics anymore. Since lobbying and buying votes became legal both sides are raping you. What's the difference? We do agree on one thing. INTERCOURSE ESPN.....

Inner Dirt
10-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Would be interested to hear the 4 that voted yes speak out, I would venture a guess they are all liberals.

Jess Hawsen Arown
10-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Would be interested to hear the 4 that voted yes speak out, I would venture a guess they are all liberals.

Right. The question is not if they should be ALLOWED to talk politics. The proper way to stop them is to tune them out.

no breathalyzer
10-09-2016, 09:36 AM
voted no absolutely hate it!!!

Inner Dirt
10-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Right. The question is not if they should be ALLOWED to talk politics. The proper way to stop them is to tune them out.

Unfortunately as I stated I only get ESPN stations on the radio here in the woods of Central Virginia. I have tuned out certain talk shows, if I am out in the shop when Dan LeBatard or Bomani Jones are on I listen to CDs. I go out of my way not to buy anything from companies that advertise on ESPN radio.

What really pisses me off as when I am blindsided when I did not expect liberal spewing, kind of like getting in a traffic jam at midnight on a rural highway. An example was listening to an Old Dominion football broadcast.
On the pregame they are interviewing the president of ODU and the jackass starts talking about global warming.