PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Again: Can Chrome be Beat?

Lemon Drop Husker
09-30-2016, 02:58 AM
Almost looks like a repeat of the Pacific Classic in which Chrome breaks from the :1: hole, builds an early and comfortable lead, and :2: Dortmund chases him around the entire track in merry-go-round fashion.

Beholder isn't here this time, but Hopp, Hard Aces, and Win The Space return to fill out your exotics. Newbies in Soi Phet and El whatever will try to keep from finishing DFL.

A likely no play, but Hard Aces is a bit interesting in here for me. Would need 16/1 or better. Maybe 18/1 or better.

menifee
09-30-2016, 03:16 AM
Dortmund 5/5 on the track. I would imagine they quarter horse Dortmund out of there rather than take back. Tactic did not work in PC. He's far more effective on lead. Still think Chrome wins, but he is going to have to let Dortmund go and then pass him in the stretch.

no breathalyzer
09-30-2016, 08:48 AM
No Chrome can not be beat.

woodbinepmi
09-30-2016, 09:36 AM
Sure he can, he's an animal not a machine.

EasyGoer89
09-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Sure he can, he's an animal not a machine.

Coulda fooled me!

ultracapper
09-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Did I catch the blurb right from TVG that they are offering 5/1 on CC? Whether you like him or not you have to place that bet if that is the case.

SoCalCircuit
09-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Only up to $10 and for new users I believe.

thespaah
09-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Only up to $10 and for new users I believe.
Correct....It says TVG will match UP TO $100 on the deposit. Then the max wager on CC is $10 at fixed odds of 5/1

letswastemoney
10-01-2016, 11:16 AM
California Chrome can definitely lose today. He won't be able to come out in the six path and intimidate Dortmund, who will be ridden harder.

Hard Aces has a small chance.

*So does Hoppertunity.

no breathalyzer
10-01-2016, 11:42 AM
California Chrome could win by 10 lengths today if he wanted too.

Alwaysonpoint36
10-01-2016, 12:07 PM
i'll be hoping for :5: soi phet to grab a piece......

time for :2: to shit or get off the pot

no breathalyzer
10-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Best horse i ever seen.. i know i'm only in my early 30's but still.. what a horse!!!

Tom
10-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Looks like it will be full field for the.....BC DIRT MILE!

Alwaysonpoint36
10-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Looks like it will be full field for the.....BC DIRT MILE!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EasyGoer89
10-01-2016, 06:53 PM
#superhorse

Spalding No!
10-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Espinoza is pretty embarrassing. After throttling the horse down way too early with a sixteenth left to run, he couldn't wait to put on his silly Monster cap and wave around a can of that soon-to-be-overtaxed garbage. Thank God he didn't let the horse drink any before the test barn.

I hope the BC puts a stop that stuff in November.

horses4courses
10-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Espinoza is pretty embarrassing. After throttling the horse down way too early with a sixteenth left to run, he couldn't wait to put on his silly Monster cap and wave around a can of that soon-to-be-overtaxed garbage. Thank God he didn't let the horse drink any before the test barn.

Another happy camper...... :faint:

johnhannibalsmith
10-01-2016, 07:08 PM

Thank you. Can't stand watching that crap in the midst of what should be a sight to behold. You don't have to keep after him by any means, but let the damn horse stride out to the wire.

dilanesp
10-01-2016, 07:09 PM
If he wins the BC, I think he's the best American racehorse since at least Cigar and maybe Spectacular Bid.

no breathalyzer
10-01-2016, 07:15 PM
If he wins the BC, I think he's the best American racehorse since at least Cigar and maybe Spectacular Bid.

100% agree

no breathalyzer
10-01-2016, 07:16 PM

huh.. like i said horse could win by 10 if needed... he saving it for next race

Broad Brush
10-01-2016, 07:18 PM
I am a fan of Chrome and hope he becomes the all-time money leader
before he is done.

But, I can't help but think of Kelso if he had the races we have today.

He earned $1.9 million--it is not fair to just adjust for the value of the
dollar between then and now. Purses of gone way up compared to then.

Kelso won 5 JC Gold Cups, 1 Met Mile, 3 Woodwards, 2 Whitneys, 2 Suburbans, 1 Brooklyn. & 1 Gulf Cap.

If the JC Gold Cup was the BC Classic & the Woodward was now the JC
Gold Cup as a BC prep: I know it was 2 miles so lets say he would
win only 4 times here is the money line with today's purses:

BC Classic 4x $3.6 million= $14,4000,000
JC Cups 3 x $450,000 = $1,350,000
Met Mile 1 x $750,000
Whitney 2 x $750,000= $1,500,000
Suburban 2 x $200,000= $400,000
Brooklyn 1 x $150,000
Gulf Cap 1 x $300,000

Just these wins would add up to $18,850,000 plus all of his other wins and
placings---he would be well past $20,000,000

Poor Kelso.

Spalding No!
10-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Another happy camper...... :faint:
Yawn. Maybe when Espinoza gets bored (again) with horse racing you can hire him as your post editor. That way he can throttle you down, too, so you don't reach that elusive 11,000 post mark too quickly. Wouldn't want throw away "contributions" like the above to be your legacy.

But if you are looking for a silver lining, at least the girth was still in the right place at the wire...

Spalding No!
10-01-2016, 07:25 PM
huh.. like i said horse could win by 10 if needed... he saving it for next race
Espinoza already blew anything worth saving when he went 3/4s in 1:09+.

I hope the horse doesn't decide to pull himself up in the BC Classic.

mostpost
10-01-2016, 07:30 PM

What are you talking about? Dumbest post ever.

mostpost
10-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Thank you. Can't stand watching that crap in the midst of what should be a sight to behold. You don't have to keep after him by any means, but let the damn horse stride out to the wire.
Christmas! Bah! Humbug!

Spalding No!
10-01-2016, 07:33 PM
What are you talking about? Dumbest post ever.
Did you watch the race or the post-race?

Or are you simply trying to keep pace with horses4courses on the road to 11,000 posts?

mostpost
10-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Best horse i ever seen.. i know i'm only in my early 30's but still.. what a horse!!!
Best I have ever seen too and I am 75. I know, I don't look it. :rolleyes:

no breathalyzer
10-01-2016, 07:38 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: best horse and was geared down,, not sure you were watching the same race as me.. honestly i seen chrome look better prerace then he did today and he still crushed geared down.. not sure why so bitter.. i know damn well if half his foot didn't get chopped off he would of won the triple crown too

johnhannibalsmith
10-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Christmas! Bah! Humbug!

Sorry. Big pet peeve of mine. Whatever tiny amount of good "saving something" does a tiny percentage of the time, especially with a top class horse with a month between races, there's a much greater chance that nothing good can come from throwing down the anchor to grandstand to such an extreme rather than just keeping him picked up and striding out a few more yards. Don't like seeing it and didn't want Spalding No! to get shit all over by the "you can't be critical in light of a beautiful performance" crowd. I agree with him on that front and eventually if everyone lives long enough, I'd suspect most everyone else here will too.

dilanesp
10-01-2016, 07:52 PM
I am a fan of Chrome and hope he becomes the all-time money leader
before he is done.

But, I can't help but think of Kelso if he had the races we have today.

He earned $1.9 million--it is not fair to just adjust for the value of the
dollar between then and now. Purses of gone way up compared to then.

Kelso won 5 JC Gold Cups, 1 Met Mile, 3 Woodwards, 2 Whitneys, 2 Suburbans, 1 Brooklyn. & 1 Gulf Cap.

If the JC Gold Cup was the BC Classic & the Woodward was now the JC
Gold Cup as a BC prep: I know it was 2 miles so lets say he would
win only 4 times here is the money line with today's purses:

BC Classic 4x $3.6 million= $14,4000,000
JC Cups 3 x $450,000 = $1,350,000
Met Mile 1 x $750,000
Whitney 2 x $750,000= $1,500,000
Suburban 2 x $200,000= $400,000
Brooklyn 1 x $150,000
Gulf Cap 1 x $300,000

Just these wins would add up to $18,850,000 plus all of his other wins and
placings---he would be well past $20,000,000

Poor Kelso.

You can do a similar analysis with John Henry.

no breathalyzer
10-01-2016, 07:55 PM
this horse is the best i seen .. i know this because i been bias against west coast horses since i been watching this game yet i knew from the start this horse was the real deal

Alwaysonpoint36
10-01-2016, 07:58 PM

Yea, no. I wish Monster would pay me to put on that stupid hat on my way to my crap job everyday

ronsmac
10-01-2016, 08:03 PM

I hope the BC puts a stop that stuff in November.Lighten up homie.

classhandicapper
10-01-2016, 08:10 PM
During his 3yo campaign I used to think the risk was he wasn't going to develop a lot from 3 forward. It turned out he's peaking at 5. He's a lot better now than I thought he would ever get.

clocker7
10-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Workout.

VE peeked at the clock.

letswastemoney
10-01-2016, 08:33 PM
California Chrome has had a season beyond which I imagined he was capable of accomplishing. One of the best horses I've ever seen.

classhandicapper
10-02-2016, 01:30 PM
112 Beyer after putting away Dortmund and being geared down most of the stretch. Dortmund actually ran quite well chasing and pressing.

110 for Beholder and Stellar Wind

I think we haven't seen the best of Songbird yet, but she's going to have to be damn good to put away Beholder and hold off Stellar Wind.

dilanesp
10-02-2016, 02:52 PM
112 Beyer after putting away Dortmund and being geared down most of the stretch. Dortmund actually ran quite well chasing and pressing.

110 for Beholder and Stellar Wind

I think we haven't seen the best of Songbird yet, but she's going to have to be damn good to put away Beholder and hold off Stellar Wind.

Given the final times of the races I am wondering if there was a split variant.

ronsmac
10-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Given the final times of the races I am wondering if there was a split variant.It looks pretty close to scale. 6.27 seconds for a 1/16th of a mile difference and 2 pts at Santa Anita.

outofthebox
10-02-2016, 03:11 PM
If he wins the BC, I think he's the best American racehorse since at least Cigar and maybe Spectacular Bid.I would throw Ghostzapper in there too. His BC Classic win over a field far more superior than Chrome has ever beat. I am a big Chrome fan...Am very impressed with his new running style.

ronsmac
10-02-2016, 03:27 PM
I would throw Ghostzapper in there too. His BC Classic win over a field far more superior than Chrome has ever beat. I am a big Chrome fan...Am very impressed with his new running style.I agree . I think Ghostzapper was better than Chrome, but Chrome is more accomplished. Especially if he wins the Classic. I personally think Chrome is better than Cigar, but once again the 16 in a row by Cigar was a bigger accomplishment.

bobphilo
10-02-2016, 05:30 PM
During his 3yo campaign I used to think the risk was he wasn't going to develop a lot from 3 forward. It turned out he's peaking at 5. He's a lot better now than I thought he would ever get.
No surprise there. Horses do not fully develop until they are 5 or 6 unless they get burned out out by early racing Most horses who are considered as stud prospects are retired at 3 before they reach their full potential, robbing the sport of the best performances of their best horses.
Fortunately, or unfortunately , the breeding industry did not consider CC as a good stud prospect due to his weak pedigree so the decision was made to continue racing him into his best years.

dilanesp
10-02-2016, 06:15 PM
I agree . I think Ghostzapper was better than Chrome, but Chrome is more accomplished. Especially if he wins the Classic. I personally think Chrome is better than Cigar, but once again the 16 in a row by Cigar was a bigger accomplishment.

I think you have to go on accomplishment. You are right, put all these horses in a race and i bet Ghostzapper, but that's a different issue.

JustRalph
10-02-2016, 07:53 PM
I think you have to go on accomplishment. You are right, put all these horses in a race and i bet Ghostzapper, but that's a different issue.

Me too. Loved GhostZapper. Exuded toughness.

classhandicapper
10-03-2016, 02:10 PM
No surprise there. Horses do not fully develop until they are 5 or 6 unless they get burned out out by early racing Most horses who are considered as stud prospects are retired at 3 before they reach their full potential, robbing the sport of the best performances of their best horses.
Fortunately, or unfortunately , the breeding industry did not consider CC as a good stud prospect due to his weak pedigree so the decision was made to continue racing him into his best years.

The typical pattern is for continued development, but they don't all follow the same pattern. Some are early bloomers and some late bloomers. Among top horses, I think it's more typical that they come out and show a lot of promise right at the start of their careers and then just keep getting better. In his case, he wasn't very good initially. Then he just exploded up to the top of the 3yo division and sort of flat lined there for awhile. I thought he might have done all his developing in that one flurry, but I was wrong. He's way better now than he was at 3. The optimists were right. He got stronger and better.

zico20
10-03-2016, 08:18 PM
The typical pattern is for continued development, but they don't all follow the same pattern. Some are early bloomers and some late bloomers. Among top horses, I think it's more typical that they come out and show a lot of promise right at the start of their careers and then just keep getting better. In his case, he wasn't very good initially. Then he just exploded up to the top of the 3yo division and sort of flat lined there for awhile. I thought he might have done all his developing in that one flurry, but I was wrong. He's way better now than he was at 3. The optimists were right. He got stronger and better.

The connections of AP are grateful that he wasn't born a year later because he would have been badly exposed in the classic by CC. Then again, he probably would not have run, getting an unfortunate injury right before the race. Not to mention losing horse of the year to CC after the crushing defeat.

outofthebox
10-03-2016, 08:24 PM
[/B]

The connections of AP are grateful that he wasn't born a year later because he would have been badly exposed in the classic by CC. Then again, he probably would not have run, getting an unfortunate injury right before the race. Not to mention losing horse of the year to CC after the crushing defeat.Im sure they are quite happy with winning a TC and BCC and a 200k stud fee....

bobphilo
10-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Im sure they are quite happy with winning a TC and BCC and a 200k stud fee....
Well said. :ThmbUp: