PDA

View Full Version : Anti Online Gambling Bill

pandy
09-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Last week my credit card processor, which is run by Sam's Club, called me and told me that I can't use their service anymore because I have a "sports advisory" service. It ticked me off because they do a good job. Fortunately the bulk of my sales go through Paypal anyway, but I was wondering where this all came from all of a sudden. I think I found out with this headline:

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/09/senator-introduces-anti-online-gambling-bill-to-congress/

Greyfox
09-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Last week my credit card processor, which is run by Sam's Club, called me and told me that I can't use their service anymore because I have a "sports advisory" service.

For starters I would never trust anybody claiming to be from a credit card processor who phoned me.
I would however phone Sam's Club and seek verification of the call and if legitimate I'd want clarification as to what their problem is.

RunForTheRoses
09-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Last week my credit card processor, which is run by Sam's Club, called me and told me that I can't use their service anymore because I have a "sports advisory" service. It ticked me off because they do a good job. Fortunately the bulk of my sales go through Paypal anyway, but I was wondering where this all came from all of a sudden. I think I found out with this headline:

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/09/senator-introduces-anti-online-gambling-bill-to-congress/

You need to get a Sam's Town processor.

TVG just said they will use PayPal. I do see what you are saying as I have used CCs to fund HorseTourneys and recently they don't work.

pandy
09-29-2016, 07:47 PM
For starters I would never trust anybody claiming to be from a credit card processor who phoned me.
I would however phone Sam's Club and seek verification of the call and if legitimate I'd want clarification as to what their problem is.

It was definitely Sam's Club (first data), they didn't even ask for my information. Years ago I had Authorize.net, and they were hitting me up with hidden fees for compliance, and not really notifying me when compliance was due. Well, then I found out that the bank that was behind it was none other than Wells Fargo. So when I see the trouble Wells Fargo is in now, it doesn't surprise me.

There are plenty of ways to process cards, and I only need it for when someone calls, but I was just annoyed because Sam's Club's service was very good. Damn regulations.

whodoyoulike
09-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Just remember this Tom Cotton guy's name because before I even got to the part in the article about Adelson's views regarding on-line, etc. I was wondering if Adelson was involved which I'm fairly certain he is.

So, $20 million looks like the number which can get Cotton's attention to certain matters which probably doesn't even concern his constituents in Arkansas.

Clocker
09-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah sponsored a bill to do this in 2014 (Restoration of America’s Wire Act or RAWA) and it went nowhere.

Lindsey Graham (S.C.) reintroduced it in 2015 with co-sponsor Marco Rubio and again it went nowhere.

My understanding is that the bill has been watered down over time and is now aimed only at off-shore providers. States with legalized internet gambling would not be affected.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-29-2016, 11:18 PM
Phone calls are not legitimate.

thaskalos
09-29-2016, 11:27 PM

There is no credible financial entity who will EVER initiate contact with you by phone. They may call you somewhere down the line...but the initial contact is always made in writing, by mail.

pandy
09-30-2016, 12:05 AM
There is no credible financial entity who will EVER initiate contact with you by phone. They may call you somewhere down the line...but the initial contact is always made in writing, by mail.

You know, I hear what you guys are saying. It kind of doesn't make sense. But, there was no attempt to solicit any information from me, which I obviously wouldn't give out. I'll call customer service tomorrow just to make sure.

johnhannibalsmith
09-30-2016, 12:20 AM
...But, there was no attempt to solicit any information from me...

I kind of wondered the same thing. But then again, they probably deduced your identity, phone number, that you do have the card in question, and the sports advisory thing didn't cause amazing confusion on your part. That is to say, you pretty much confirmed a lot of things that add up together for someone trying hard with purpose without actually giving out anything.

pandy
09-30-2016, 08:42 AM
It was definitely first data. I've noticed that they actually have terrible online ratings for merchant account services, so I'll probably be better off without them.

forced89
09-30-2016, 09:23 AM

Not exactly true. I have had 2 or my Banks make an initial contact with me by phone. Both times it was to tell me there were suspicious charges charged to my account. They first described the suspicious transactions to me (All info came from them. They didn't ask me to disclose anything.) They then asked me if the charges were legitimate and if I wanted them bounced.

Saratoga_Mike
09-30-2016, 09:25 AM

BofA calls me when there's suspicious activity on my debit card. I know it's them as they name the amount that was just declined (it's usually me buying something on a day-trip somewhere).

pandy
09-30-2016, 09:27 AM
BofA calls me when there's suspicious activity on my debit card. I know it's them as they name the amount that was just declined (it's usually me buying something on a day-trip somewhere).

I've had the same experience.

barahona44
09-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Not exactly true. I have had 2 or my Banks make an initial contact with me by phone. Both times it was to tell me there were suspicious charges charged to my account. They first described the suspicious transactions to me (All info came from them. They didn't ask me to disclose anything.) They then asked me if the charges were legitimate and if I wanted them bounced.
I've only gotten emails but I signed up for a "Notify me of suspicious Activities" service, which usually happens when I order things off the Internet.

pandy
10-05-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm glad I had to switch. I signed up with Waveapps, which is similar to Paypal but you can also accept credit cards over the phone or through regular mail and easily put the order through. Very easy to use, no annoying hidden fees or compliance. Between Paypal and Waveapps, got it covered.

barn32
10-05-2016, 12:02 PM
I'm glad I had to switch. I signed up with Waveapps, which is similar to Paypal but you can also accept credit cards over the phone or through regular mail and easily put the order through. Very easy to use, no annoying hidden fees or compliance. Between Paypal and Waveapps, got it covered.When I first tried using PayPal many years ago I was inundated with Phishing e-mails.

I had no idea if I was talking to PayPal or some guy from Nigeria, so I dumped PayPal and have never used them since.

Once bitten...

pandy
10-05-2016, 12:59 PM
When I first tried using PayPal many years ago I was inundated with Phishing e-mails.

I had no idea if I was talking to PayPal or some guy from Nigeria, so I dumped PayPal and have never used them since.

Once bitten...

They're a big company now. They were owned by ebay for a while but ebay spun Paypal off into a separate, publicly traded company.

You have to watch these merchant accounts with their hidden fees and "compliance" every year. Wells Fargo got me for some compliance fees years ago.