PDA

View Full Version : Technical questions.

mostpost
09-29-2016, 03:28 PM
Kind of technical anyway.
Whenever I try to post several columns of things and figures, all of the columns squish together at the left side of the page making them very hard to understand. The same thing happens if I try to copy and paste a table from an outside site.

I want to end up with three or more straight columns each separated by a distinct space. Is this possible? Using the space bar does not work.

The second question is for the man himself; no, not Obama. THE MAN. Mr. Pace Advantage. Every night, around 12:30-1:00 in the AM, (Chicago time) the site slows down and sometimes even stops. Sometimes I get kicked off or lose a post I am writing. Is is there some kind of maintenance or chasing of evil spirits going on at that time?

chadk66
09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
it's a vast right wing conspiracy.

FantasticDan
09-29-2016, 03:50 PM
The second question is for the man himself; no, not Obama. THE MAN. Mr. Pace Advantage. Every night, around 12:30-1:00 in the AM, (Chicago time) the site slows down and sometimes even stops. Sometimes I get kicked off or lose a post I am writing. Is is there some kind of maintenance or chasing of evil spirits going on at that time?Yes, this topic has been discussed before, and PA said it was a server maintenance issue.

Technically the site shouldn't go down during the wee-hrs maintenance, but it frequently does. Thus, the issue..

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2016, 03:53 PM
Yes, this site sucks starting at about 1:20am eastern up until about 145-150am eastern. Also seems to be happening at around 7:30am eastern

Thanks for your patience...I am trying to find a way to fix this for good.

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2016, 03:58 PM
Whenever I try to post several columns of things and figures, all of the columns squish together at the left side of the page making them very hard to understand. The same thing happens if I try to copy and paste a table from an outside site.

I want to end up with three or more straight columns each separated by a distinct space. Is this possible? Using the space bar does not work. There is a way, but it's convoluted.

If you compose what you want in notepad using tabs, you can copy and paste it here, exactly from notepad. Then, you must, after you paste it here, change the font here to "Courier New" and also wrap the CODE tag around the text you just pasted. I told you it was convoluted.

Looks like this if you get it right:

Column A Column B Column C
150,000 120,000 100,000
50,000 25,000 30,000
260 50 120

whodoyoulike
09-29-2016, 03:59 PM

I want to end up with three or more straight columns each separated by a distinct space. Is this possible? Using the space bar does not work. ...

My work around is to use the period (....) instead of the space bar.

Tom
09-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Periods work, and you can make them white, so invisible.
I just take a screen shot of the data and post that as a jpg file.

mostpost
09-29-2016, 05:48 PM
it's a vast right wing conspiracy.
Thanks for nothing. :D I already knew it was a vast right wing conspiracy. I wanted to know the details.

mostpost
09-29-2016, 05:50 PM
Yes, this site sucks starting at about 1:20am eastern up until about 145-150am eastern. Also seems to be happening at around 7:30am eastern

Thanks for your patience...I am trying to find a way to fix this for good.
Thanks, I guess I will have to remember not to try to post at that time.

mostpost
09-29-2016, 05:54 PM
There is a way, but it's convoluted.

If you compose what you want in notepad using tabs, you can copy and paste it here, exactly from notepad. Then, you must, after you paste it here, change the font here to "Courier New" and also wrap the CODE tag around the text you just pasted. I told you it was convoluted.

Looks like this if you get it right:

Column A Column B Column C
150,000 120,000 100,000
50,000 25,000 30,000
260 50 120
That does look complicated, but I will print that out and try it when I get the chance. Either that or put it in the cabinet where I lose all the stuff I have printed for later use.

mostpost
09-29-2016, 05:57 PM
My work around is to use the period (....) instead of the space bar.
I have used that method but was hoping there was an easier way. It may be there is not.

mostpost
09-29-2016, 05:59 PM
I just take a screen shot of the data and post that as a jpg file.
Thanks for that hint, but I can't help but wonder if you are not trying to get me to print everything white on white. :confused: :confused:

Tom
09-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Sorry guys, I tried. ;)

chadk66
09-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Thanks for nothing. :D I already knew it was a vast right wing conspiracy. I wanted to know the details.there never are details of vast right conspiracies.;)

barn32
09-29-2016, 07:14 PM
Republicans Democrats Independents
485 535 636
201 393 626
33 22 1Hey, that works. Not that convoluted. But I used Arial Black, and I also tried a few others. They all seemed to work.

But, as you said, you can't edit here, you have to edit
or add more data in notepad.

JustRalph
09-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Don't forget, you can always take a screenshot of "anything" you want to post. Size it or add inline as a graphic. Sometimes that is much easier........

Better than trying to format some things. If you're working on a desktop or laptop, in windows, it's real easy.

barn32
09-29-2016, 08:47 PM
Don't forget, you can always take a screenshot of "anything" you want to post. Size it or add inline as a graphic. Sometimes that is much easier........

Better than trying to format some things. If you're working on a desktop or laptop, in windows, it's real easy.That's what I usually do, but the only problem with that is that the default screenshot size to post here is waaayyyy tooooo big.

And nobody wants to take the time to upload to image shack or tiny pick to properly size the images.

whodoyoulike
09-29-2016, 08:54 PM

Thanks, I'll try that next time. So, you're not just another pretty face on here.

JustRalph
09-29-2016, 10:25 PM
That's what I usually do, but the only problem with that is that the default screenshot size to post here is waaayyyy tooooo big.

And nobody wants to take the time to upload to image shack or tiny pick to properly size the images.

A basic graphics app will resize them pretty easy. But it does add a few steps. I can't do it natively on an iPad, without downloading some crappy app for IOS. So I don't do it much. On my desktop or laptop (I almost never use anymore) it's easy.

whodoyoulike
09-30-2016, 01:16 AM
Republicans Democrats Independents
485 535 636
201 393 626
33 22 1Hey, that works. Not that convoluted. But I used Arial Black, and I also tried a few others. They all seemed to work.

But, as you said, you can't edit here, you have to edit
or add more data in notepad.

But, your data is not reported under each column.

I prefer:

Republicans......Democrats........Independents

Hey, Tom this is a lot of work!! I'll stick with (.....) thanks anyway.

hcap
09-30-2016, 03:46 AM
You can use a screen capture utility to copy an image from a web page.
You will probably want to reduce the size with an image editing program.
But anyway you use the "Manage Attachment" button to attach the image
Here is one shrunk in size. Just reduced the size.

barn32
09-30-2016, 07:26 AM
But, your data is not reported under each column.

That's very odd. It shows up perfectly aligned on my end.