PDA

View Full Version : Claiming a 2 yr old out of Maiden Claiming Race

BIG49010
09-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Claiming out of Maiden claiming 2yr old races, is there some rule that says you don't claim out of Md Claiming 2 yr old races no matter what?

I watched Parx the other day, a horse for Jason Servis was dropping from MSW at Monmouth after being bet down in his 1st start, he goes off at 3/5 wins by 14 and no one takes any of these. He was a 150k Keeneland purchase, now he is in for 40k, does that scare everyone off?

I have seen him do it a couple of times, wouldn't you think someone would jump in and claim one of these?

HuggingTheRail
09-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Claiming out of Maiden claiming 2yr old races, is there some rule that says you don't claim out of Md Claiming 2 yr old races no matter what?

I watched Parx the other day, a horse for Jason Servis was dropping from MSW at Monmouth after being bet down in his 1st start, he goes off at 3/5 wins by 14 and no one takes any of these. He was a 150k Keeneland purchase, now he is in for 40k, does that scare everyone off?

I have seen him do it a couple of times, wouldn't you think someone would jump in and claim one of these?

I have always thought it was a bit of an unwritten rule not to claim a first time starter, but I would not have any issue with that scenario...they tried the MSW first

I also think those unwritten rules aren't what they used to be....don't claim from an octogenarian if it is their only horse, etc. Now with some horses racing for racing clubs, or a charitable element to their earnings, i think the unwritten rules are out the door (and I am becoming crankier as I age :lol: ) If you don't want your horse claimed, don't run it in a claiming race....

johnhannibalsmith
09-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Not saying its the case here as there are a trillion condition books to choose from within hauling distance from Parx, but often elsewhere with 2yo. maiden winners your options for races can be pretty slim for a while. It's one thing to claim a 2yo. maiden that probably won't win and get at least one more crack at the maiden ranks, but with what is unlikely to be an allowance caliber horse, there isn't the range of races that you have for older horses and often you end up having to just run in whichever of a handful of winner's races in the book can actually draw a field and make the overnight. Basically, I guess, if you are going to put up that kind of money in an environment where you can claim an older horse and be guaranteed to have a million ways to get out on the claim almost immediately, taking a 2yo. doesn't always make a lot of sense in comparison.

In fact, just for the hell of it, I looked at the Parx condition book just as I was about to hit submit out of curiosity and see that the ONLY condition they offer for 2yo winners is a N2L allowance. And that's just one for fillies and two for colts separated by three weeks. No idea if these things fill or what they write for extras, but if I was shopping without planning on hauling out that would slow me down from getting serious in a hurry unless I absolutely thought the horse was trying to steal there and without a doubt needed to be claimed.

BIG49010
09-28-2016, 08:35 PM
Not saying its the case here as there are a trillion condition books to choose from within hauling distance from Parx, but often elsewhere with 2yo. maiden winners your options for races can be pretty slim for a while. It's one thing to claim a 2yo. maiden that probably won't win and get at least one more crack at the maiden ranks, but with what is unlikely to be an allowance caliber horse, there isn't the range of races that you have for older horses and often you end up having to just run in whichever of a handful of winner's races in the book can actually draw a field and make the overnight. Basically, I guess, if you are going to put up that kind of money in an environment where you can claim an older horse and be guaranteed to have a million ways to get out on the claim almost immediately, taking a 2yo. doesn't always make a lot of sense in comparison.

In fact, just for the hell of it, I looked at the Parx condition book just as I was about to hit submit out of curiosity and see that the ONLY condition they offer for 2yo winners is a N2L allowance. And that's just one for fillies and two for colts separated by three weeks. No idea if these things fill or what they write for extras, but if I was shopping without planning on hauling out that would slow me down from getting serious in a hurry unless I absolutely thought the horse was trying to steal there and without a doubt needed to be claimed.

Didn't really think about where to run, you could be correct, and if your in jail for a long time with it being a continues meeting, that could screw you also.