PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, September 25

Teach
09-25-2016, 10:53 AM
Race One:

:2: Starr Bear is my pick in this one-mile, one-turn MSW route. This filly – there’s no denyin’ - will be heavily bet and, I might add, will provide little value in return. Personally, I’m considering doubles, exotics, etc. (frankly, I find it hard to “single” her in Pick-5s). She’s tried a sprint; she’s tried a turf-route, now, she’s back on the main. Her breeding suggests that she should handle the distance. This Broken Vow-bred finished third in both her starts. Her jock, Luis Saez, is “on the muscle” (he “booted” home two winners on yesterday’s card). Trainer Brad Cox is off to an excellent start at “Beautiful Belmont”. He does particularly well with second starts off a layoff. Yet again, caveat emptor. Horse racing is a risk-reward game. Others: :4: , :5: , :1a:

Race Two:

:3: Steamboat Bill is my selection. This Sky Mesa-bred chestnut colt was leading in deep stretch against similar in his last, a few weeks ago, only to be caught in the final strides (that despite the fact that he brushed the gate). This Pulpit-bred 3 year-old has competed well at this level. This colt should be in an excellent stalking position to mount his stretch drive. There’s plenty of speed to set solid early fractions. Can jockey Luis Saez bring in both ends? As Freud (appropriate for a grass race) would have said, Saez has found his energy level, his libido. The colt’s trainer, Long Island’s Gary Contessa, is having a solid Belmont meet. Others: :6: , :1: , :4:

Race Three:

:2: I’m Amazing is my choice in the MSW one-mile route. This Unbridled’s Song-bred colt got caught four-wide into the far turn in his last at Belmont; he just couldn’t make headway in deep stretch. This colt should – with careful handling - be better positioned here to mount his closing drive. The distance should be no problem. Eric Cancel – he’s picked it up since arriving back in “The Big Apple” – is in the irons. Trainer Ralph Nicks adds blinkers to keep this well-bred, highly-priced colt on task. I guess my only concern is that this colt has been on the shelf for over two months. Why? Yet, if he’s ready, he should be “a player” here. Watch the tote for any clues. Others: :1: , :4: , :3: .

Race Four:

:4: T R Crew gets my nod in this MSW one-mile turf route on The Widener. Yes, this Uncle Mo-bred colt has never raced on the grass. Yet, his pedigree appears to indicate he should enjoy frolicking on the fescue. His dam, Saintly Action, had five winners from eight starters (two on the grass). This colt just missed as the chalk on the main at nine panels at “The Spa” in his last in early September. I guess my only gnawing concern is that this colt needs at least nine panels (he shortens to eight, here). His most capable jockey, Jose Ortiz, must get this 3 year-old into “the game” early enough to avoid running out of real estate. David Donk trains this grandson of Saint Ballado. Donk does reasonably well with turf starts. Two solid recent morning works, one “a bullet,” signal readiness. Others: :2: , :9: , :8:

Race Five:

:7: You Know I Know finished third against slightly better in his last; he went off “the chalk” in that one in late August at “The Spa”. This gelding was claimed out of that one by Bruce Levine for the Repole Stable. This Silver Deputy-bred certainly fits in this company (the DRF is calling his slight drop: “suspicious”). The way this race sets up, it appears to beg for “a closer”. Well, in that respect, this gelding is straight out of “central casting”. You can add to the mix the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr., one of the best on the NYRA circuit. Trainer Levine is having a solid Belmont meet; he does well in most racing categories. Others: :4: , :5: , :1:

Race Six:

:8: Golden Treasury is my longshot try in this 6-panels MSW turf-sprint for 2 year-old fillies. This Dynaformer-bred bay finished extremely well in her only pari-mutuel race at 5 and ½ panels on the lawn at Laurel. In that one, a little over two weeks ago, this A.P. Indy-bred finished 3rd, only one-half length off the winner. The slight stretch to six furlongs should aid and abet this filly’s chances. “Double A,” the Panama City, Panama native, Angel Arroyo, is in the irons for trainer Mike Trombetta. Trombetta doesn’t saddle many, but he’s a most capable conditioner. He does reasonably well both with shippers and second career races. Others: :2: , :5: , :10: .

Race Seven:

:5: Dujac is my longshot try in this OC turf route, n2x. Before you say: loco, pazzo, or meshugah, hear me out. This Sadler’s Wells-bred gelding has hit the tote in 2/3rds of his turf tries, two first and two seconds. Yes, he was narrowly beaten by weaker – a second-place finish in his last – yet, he most certainly has a chance here at a price (this game is all about value, value and value). This A.P. Indy-bred was recently claimed out of the Chad Brown barn by Ian Wilkes for the Six Column Stables. Wilkes does reasonably well with first off a claim and second off a layoff categories. A sharp recent work indicates readiness. The most capable Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: :9: , :2: , :11:

Race Eight:

In the non-graded John Hettinger Stakes for New York state-breds to be contested on the turf over the distance of one mile and one-eighth, my pick is :6: Old Harbor. This Raffie’s Majesty-bred 5 year-old mare went gate-to-wire at little over two weeks ago in a non-graded stake at Delaware Park. This mare is capable of grabbing the lead once again and reprising his DP win, particularly, as it appears from “the lines,” that there isn’t much early speed to contest the pace. Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Russell Cash. Others: :2: , :3: , :7:

Race Nine:

In the finale, my pick is another longshot, :2: Light Reign. This 3 year-old Monarchos-bred filly has shown little in her last two starts against better. Well, this distaffer now drops back to the level where she recorded her only lifetime win, a 40k claimer at this distance at Belmont in her July. If this Maria’s Mon-bred can reprise that effort, she’ll be “a player” here. Candidly, Dylan Davis, although capable, hasn’t exactly put himself in contention for a riding title. Yet, at his best, the son of Robbie Davis, can guide this A.P. Indy-bred into the winner’s circle. Trainer Pat Kelly, although he doesn’t saddle many, has the knack of surprising us when it’s least expected. A recent morning work was solid. Others: :8: , :6: , :4: