PDA

View Full Version : Does the NFL have a problem?

Valuist
09-23-2016, 04:40 PM
There was some exciting games last weekend, but I hear after two weeks, TV ratings are down. No Peyton Manning.....Brady is suspended. But they have other issues: big market teams that are not only bad, but boring and bad. The Rams, the Bears, the Niners, the Cowboys (yes, Prescott isn't as good as the media makes one think), and the Dokphins. Yeah, the Eagles are 2-0 but beating the Browns and Bears doesn't prove too much.

barn32
09-23-2016, 06:49 PM
There was some exciting games last weekend, but I hear after two weeks, TV ratings are down. No Peyton Manning.....Brady is suspended. But they have other issues: big market teams that are not only bad, but boring and bad. The Rams, the Bears, the Niners, the Cowboys (yes, Prescott isn't as good as the media makes one think), and the Dokphins. Yeah, the Eagles are 2-0 but beating the Browns and Bears doesn't prove too much.Boycott the NFL (as many are) until that ass**** stands up for the National Anthem.

barahona44
09-23-2016, 07:10 PM
There was some exciting games last weekend, but I hear after two weeks, TV ratings are down. No Peyton Manning.....Brady is suspended. But they have other issues: big market teams that are not only bad, but boring and bad. The Rams, the Bears, the Niners, the Cowboys (yes, Prescott isn't as good as the media makes one think), and the Dokphins. Yeah, the Eagles are 2-0 but beating the Browns and Bears doesn't prove too much.
Two things NFL teams don't do anymore:
1) The vertical passing game
2) Run the ball.

Everything is safe 5 yard passes and 'ball security', so runners don't run with the same abandon as in days of old.And can't anybody run block anymore?

The sameness of offensive game plans throughout the league has turned a spicy pizza into a bowl of oatmeal.And if fantasy football starts to decline in interest, the NFL will also start to see similar declines.

They're hardly going out of business but the glory days of the very recent past may be behind them.

_______
09-23-2016, 07:10 PM
NFL viewership is now down to levels that any other entity would kill to achieve.

Monday nights game had the lowest viwership since 2011. And absolutely dominated it's time slot. How do you think the NHL would feel about achieving 1/2 the audience the NFL got Monday night? Or any new TV show?

Just trying to place some perspective on the "decline" in viewership.

I suspect the rollover (if that's what it is. It's a small sample) has more to do with people cutting the cord than any political stance or lack of star power. If it happens, it will leave the NFL as a dominant TV force for decades.

What is amazing is that you have a product that has steadily increased viewership. Where else besides the NFL has TV viewership increased so much for so long?

JustRalph
09-23-2016, 07:23 PM
So many teams suck!

It's a battle of attrition every season now. They finally reached the point where the game is so violent the players can't hold up anymore.

By week 13 there are so many injured players the 3rd stringers are playing

NJ Stinks
09-23-2016, 08:00 PM
If I wasn't in a pool that includes all games each week where one must predict who is going to cover, I wouldn't have spent 5 minutes watching the NE/Houston game last night.

Of course, if I could legally bet - like if I lived in Nevada - I would be a lot more interested each week. But I have no strong must have interest these days in using a bookie or looking for somebody to bet with head to head without any juice. Because the truth is that I prefer playing the horses on Sunday afternoon and checking the NFL scoreboard when I feel like it.

Anyway, IMO the college football game has been much more entertaining than the NFL for many years now.

Robert Fischer
09-23-2016, 10:05 PM
I'll go ahead and take a contrarian (to this thread's flow).

NFL is doing fine.

Any MNF metrics from Eagles and Bears should be expected to be on the low side. They are nice markets, but aside from fantasy and gambling, (and geeks such as myself wondering about Carson Wentz's potential), was not a must-see game.

May be totally unrelated, but I find it semi-interesting = the way people watch is gradually shifting as well. More viewers are catching games while multi-tasking and 'streaming' a feed on their mobile device. It seems that sports bars/restaurants are thriving with cheap transportation such as Uber expanding the options of patrons. Things are in flux.

The NFL has some risk of losing control of the players, with Kaepernick being the first in a while to place his beliefs in front of his (money) job security and sponsorship. That risk remains near-zero, as everyone else likes not being blackballed, and having contract extensions and sponsorship, more than they like politics.

Overall, it has turned out pretty well overall.
Kaepernick's jersey is selling better than the MVP candidate's jersey. People can't stop talking about the NFL and the anthem.
It is NOT all good, and it is an increased risk to the very sponsorship that drives the league, but it has actually generated revenue streams and social media coverage thus far this season.

NFL is thriving.

ReplayRandall
09-23-2016, 10:19 PM
I'll go ahead and take a contrarian (to this thread's flow).

NFL is doing fine.

Any MNF metrics from Eagles and Bears should be expected to be on the low side. They are nice markets, but aside from fantasy and gambling, (and geeks such as myself wondering about Carson Wentz's potential), was not a must-see game.

May be totally unrelated, but I find it semi-interesting = the way people watch is gradually shifting as well. More viewers are catching games while multi-tasking and 'streaming' a feed on their mobile device. It seems that sports bars/restaurants are thriving with cheap transportation such as Uber expanding the options of patrons. Things are in flux.

The NFL has some risk of losing control of the players, with Kaepernick being the first in a while to place his beliefs in front of his (money) job security and sponsorship. That risk remains near-zero, as everyone else likes not being blackballed, and having contract extensions and sponsorship, more than they like politics.

Overall, it has turned out pretty well overall.
Kaepernick's jersey is selling better than the MVP candidate's jersey. People can't stop talking about the NFL and the anthem.
It is NOT all good, and it is an increased risk to the very sponsorship that drives the league, but it has actually generated revenue streams and social media coverage thus far this season.

NFL is thriving.

I liked your post RF, but I wouldn't say it's thriving any longer. Other posters have given opinions that the NFL has peaked. I agree with them, as the NFL will continue to slide as long as Roger Goodell is Commish.....It's a simple fix, the owners need to fire Goodell, he's a buffoon....I don't need to give any detail, as anyone who's followed the game in the last 3 years, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Robert Fischer
09-23-2016, 11:15 PM
agreed, time for a new commish

Secondbest
09-24-2016, 01:19 AM
The ratings for the Sunday 1 and 4 games have not declined. It's the Sunday night and Monday night games which are down. Last week was worse than the week before.Ithink it's just too much too watch from 1 until 12. Just burnout after 2 day games. I know that I watch
Less than I used to.

MutuelClerk
09-24-2016, 08:41 AM
More commercials should do it. The game is slow, boring. The NFL pretending to care about their players has hurt it too. All the flags. The only thing saving it is fantasy football. Thank god for the redzone tv.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-24-2016, 10:18 AM
There are more gambling options. The game became the "fan" favorite when gamblers decided it was the best game to gamble on.

On opening day, Draft Kings had a $3 game where you could win a million bucks. I played and finished in 108,000th place. Yes, those are the right amount of zeroes. And guess what -- that was good enough to win $7!

While winning $7 is nothing to brag about, can you imagine any other gambling opportunity where you are beaten by over 100000 players -- and win money?

_______
09-24-2016, 11:03 AM
There are more gambling options. The game became the "fan" favorite when gamblers decided it was the best game to gamble on.

On opening day, Draft Kings had a $3 game where you could win a million bucks. I played and finished in 108,000th place. Yes, those are the right amount of zeroes. And guess what -- that was good enough to win $7!

While winning $7 is nothing to brag about, can you imagine any other gambling opportunity where you are beaten by over 100000 players -- and win money?

Betting to show on a horse that finishes first in the Derby?

I dropped out of Fan Duel/Draft Kings last year when news broke that they provided data to big bettors not available to run of the mill players. The vig is bad enough. The fact that whales are analyzing player trends and building multi-ticket plays with lesser used players was enough for me to decide I couldn't beat it given the effort I was willing to put in.

Inner Dirt
09-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Boycott the NFL (as many are) until that ass**** stands up for the National Anthem.

Wonder if that has an effect? ESPN radio this morning was blaming lower ratings on QB play, No Brady, Rodgers struggling, no more Peyton, and 2nd and 3rd stringers starting. Of course ESPN is far left and would probably fire anyone who said players disrespecting the flag caused people to tune out.

Inner Dirt
09-24-2016, 11:52 AM

I don't play or much understand Fantasy Football, could you have bet $300 and won $700 under the same circumstances?

Marshall Bennett
09-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Monday night Saints/Falcons go up against the debate of the century. We'll see how that plays out with ratings. :D

Tom
09-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Far too many really good college games to worry about the geezer league.
NFL games too long, too boring. Far too many teams. Need to trim at least half of them. Just not enough talented players to fill that many teams.

So what do they do to add interest?
Dress the Thursday night teams you too look like Crayola Crayons! :lol:
They look like clowns. Final score: Burnt Siena 17, Turquois 10.

NFL.....not for me.

Secondbest
09-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Monday night Saints/Falcons go up against the debate of the century. We'll see how that plays out with ratings. :D
What's on National Geographic?

ronsmac
09-24-2016, 08:50 PM
Boycott the NFL (as many are) until that ass**** stands up for the National Anthem.I don't agree with Kaepernick, but no way in hell am I going to boycott the league because of him. I'd be boycotting every sport and business in the world if I let everyone's politics get in the way.

proximity
09-24-2016, 09:27 PM
So many teams suck!

It's a battle of attrition every season now. They finally reached the point where the game is so violent the players can't hold up anymore.

By week 13 there are so many injured players the 3rd stringers are playing

the colts were decimated before the regular season even started and it's not even an excuse but a problem with the facilities or s&c since it happens every year.

as for the overall injury problem, idk how much of a solution this is but maybe they could let all 53 players dress for starters?

Valuist
09-25-2016, 11:15 AM

The NFL will get killed. And there should be plenty of fireworks in that game.

I guess does viewership count if one watches a small portion of the game? I'm sure many will flip over when the debate is in a commercial break.

burnsy
09-26-2016, 05:29 PM
The ratings for the Sunday 1 and 4 games have not declined. It's the Sunday night and Monday night games which are down. Last week was worse than the week before.Ithink it's just too much too watch from 1 until 12. Just burnout after 2 day games. I know that I watch
Less than I used to.

I agree with the "burnout" affect. The coverage is endless as well as the additional games. "Drama" and "controversy" is beaten to death now in every aspect of our society. Even in sports, especially on this internet. By the time the game actually airs you have to hear and see which jack ass beat his girl, whose protesting what, what the guy drinks, eats, drives or wipes his ass with. The dumbest, redone it, crap from all these pundits that can't throw a football 10 yards. Most of it is inaccurate or silly. They try to fill what's supposed to be a 3 hour game with 7 hours of BS fluff coverage. Its freaking football..........not a soap opera. I know people that are 100% anti "pre game crap"......I am becoming one of those too.

thaskalos
09-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Have you altered your opinion of the Eagles?

burnsy
09-26-2016, 05:41 PM

I think the Eagles and Vikings are "sleeper" teams to watch. That Chip Kelly is a chowder head with Pros so far. Bradford will probably turn out to be a good QB if healthy......and just face it, the Eagles can only play better this year.
One of the biggest things in this league is ball control, the defense can't spend half a lifetime on the playing field. Look at the Eagles defense so far this year!

thaskalos
09-26-2016, 05:59 PM
I think the Eagles and Vikings are "sleeper" teams to watch. That Chip Kelly is a chowder head with Pros so far. Bradford will probably turn out to be a good QB if healthy......and just face it, the Eagles can only play better this year.
One of the biggest things in this league is ball control, the defense can't spend half a lifetime on the playing field. Look at the Eagles defense so far this year!
The Eagles' dismantling of the Steelers was one of the most shocking things that I have ever witnessed in the world of sports.

JustRalph
09-26-2016, 07:09 PM
I'll be watching football.....just because I'm taping the debate, so I don't have to sit through the bullshit.

Robert Fischer
09-26-2016, 07:16 PM
Carson Wentz is the MVP of the NFL thus far.

He's carried a team that isn't good enough to make the wild card, and now the Eagles are at the point that they actually believe that they are a good team, and have raised their level of play.

I don't think Wentz will continue to be the MVP, and it's only week 3 , but it has been fun to watch.

Elliott Sidewater
09-26-2016, 07:36 PM
The Eagles' dismantling of the Steelers was one of the most shocking things that I have ever witnessed in the world of sports.
I live just outside of Philadelphia and believe me when I tell you that even the most ardent Eagles fans were shocked too. But it didn't take long for them to adjust to the "new reality"......the Post Game show conducted a live poll that asked the fans how the season will end for the Birds and 72% said "will go to the Super Bowl". I don't agree with them, but you have to consider the source; 68% of Eagles fans believe that Rocky Balboa is a real person (and the statue atop the Art Museum steps proves it).

Valuist
09-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Far too many really good college games to worry about the geezer league.
NFL games too long, too boring. Far too many teams. Need to trim at least half of them. Just not enough talented players to fill that many teams.

NFL.....not for me.

NFL games are too long? They aren't the ones who stop the clock after every first down. NFL games are going to always be right around 3 hours to 3:15. Get two passing teams in college and one is looking at a 4 hour game. College needs to rethink their rules on clock stoppages.

forced89
09-27-2016, 09:48 AM
I used to watch 3 games every Sunday now it is hard for me to sit through one unless I have a bet on it.

thaskalos
09-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I used to watch 3 games every Sunday now it is hard for me to sit through one unless I have a bet on it.

Even when I have a bet on the game...I'd rather check the score periodically on my phone. I have lost all interest in actually sitting there and watching the game.

Valuist
09-27-2016, 04:22 PM

Yes, at least of Wentz. Games against the Browns and Bears isn't much to go by but can't say the Steelers were an easy opponent.

I think Philly has a bye this week, which is the worst thing imaginable. All that positive momentum; the last thing one wants is a week 4 bye to disrupt the chemisty and momentum.

Elliott Sidewater
09-27-2016, 06:45 PM
Yes, at least of Wentz. Games against the Browns and Bears isn't much to go by but can't say the Steelers were an easy opponent.

I think Philly has a bye this week, which is the worst thing imaginable. All that positive momentum; the last thing one wants is a week 4 bye to disrupt the chemisty and momentum.
I don't think having the bye this week is the worst thing imaginable; although I understand they're hot right now, the extra week off will return both TE Zack Ertz and CB Leodis McKelvin. With Ertz back the Eagles will again be able to deploy their 3 tight end set (Ertz, Celek, and Burton), which has been highly successful when used. McKelvin is better than CB Jalen Mills, who got toasted by Antonio Brown more often than a frozen bagel.

Valuist
09-27-2016, 07:21 PM
I don't think having the bye this week is the worst thing imaginable; although I understand they're hot right now, the extra week off will return both TE Zack Ertz and CB Leodis McKelvin. With Ertz back the Eagles will again be able to deploy their 3 tight end set (Ertz, Celek, and Burton), which has been highly successful when used. McKelvin is better than CB Jalen Mills, who got toasted by Antonio Brown more often than a frozen bagel.

It IS the worst thing imaginable. I already mentioned having to slow the great momentum, but the other reason is the bye week is the time to rest the nagging injuries. Needless to say, players have more nagging injuries later in the season than after only 3 games.

thaskalos
09-27-2016, 07:53 PM
It IS the worst thing imaginable. I already mentioned having to slow the great momentum, but the other reason is the bye week is the time to rest the nagging injuries. Needless to say, players have more nagging injuries later in the season than after only 3 games.

Well...this is yet to be determined...no? What will you say if they come back and destroy the Lions in Week 5?

Elliott Sidewater
09-27-2016, 08:12 PM
By the end of the season, everyone is playing hurt, regardless of when the bye week occurred. Probably all the Eagles have to do from here on in is go 7-6 to be at least a wild card entrant for the playoffs. The Eagles coaching staff (on both offense and defense) seem to have a good system of rotating players in and out that keeps everyone pretty fresh deep into the game. If last season under Chip Kelly and this season were a laboratory experiment to measure the impact of time of possession on success, you couldn't have made a clearer case - it matters BIG TIME. Chip had his own ideas, too many of them were wrong, and that's why he's in a worse situation in San Francisco now.

Robert Fischer
09-27-2016, 08:29 PM
The first step in major pro sports problems, is admitting you have a problem

Secondbest
09-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Forbes reports that Sundays ratings fell from 13.7 to 12.9. The share fell from 23 to 21.
No word yet on last night that I saw.

Valuist
09-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Well...this is yet to be determined...no? What will you say if they come back and destroy the Lions in Week 5?

One game proves nothing. I've heard coaches talk about the positioning of the bye week. The later in the season, the better. Everybody is nursing some kind of injury; the rest is needed. There's only been 3 weeks of wear and tear.

Ted Sevransky (aka Teddy Covers) has talked at length in previous seasons about the bye week being a streak killer. Its good to have a bye week if a team is in a losing streak; a clear negative if the team is going great.

JustRalph
09-28-2016, 05:59 AM
Down goes JJ Watt

Out for the season. Hurt his back again.

He's going to have lots of time for grocery store commercials

I noticed 3 players claimed off waivers yesterday. It's only 3 weeks in and teams are short due to injuries

rastajenk
09-28-2016, 07:27 AM
If the NFL feels the need to continue with Thursday night games, then it should assign bye weeks the Sunday before for those Thursday participants.

To take my suggestion a step further, they don't need all those Thursday games. Start them in November, so that the preceding bye week comes late enough in the year to be worthwhile.

Taking it one step further, the NFL should just cede Thanksgiving week to college football and give a large bunch of teams the bye in one of the two weeks before and after Thanksgiving. Schedule the minimum number of games to fill the Sunday night, Monday night, and the two Sunday afternoon time slots, and give everybody else the week off. It could still work in the traditional T-Day games, but it would give all teams a more fair shot at the final chase for the playoffs.

The current way of doing things is just plain goofy.

Secondbest
09-28-2016, 08:02 AM
As expected the debate crushed MNF . Lowest rating since ESPN took over the game.Second lowest was the week prior.Viewership down around 2 million a week from last year.
Don't forget Colt -Jags starts at 9:30 AM Sunday.

Inner Dirt
09-28-2016, 10:33 AM
https://scontent.fslc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/q87/p526x296/14485140_884100798387038_8683935842813123748_n.jpg ?oh=77e8ae12143f34bbbfe22722cb13b41a&oe=585F20EC

A restaurant in Virginia Beach has come under fire for using a Colin Kaepernick jersey as a doormat.

On Saturday, James Perry, who lives in the area, went to Krossroads Rock and Country Bar in the Pleasant Valley Shopping Center Thursday and saw the jersey taped to the ground at the front entrance.

This cracks me up, makes be proud to live in Virginia.

Can't get "insert image" to work.

Valuist
09-28-2016, 12:24 PM
As expected the debate crushed MNF . Lowest rating since ESPN took over the game.Second lowest was the week prior.Viewership down around 2 million a week from last year.

We knew the ratings would be hurt severely by the debate, but from what I understand, ratings were down signficantly from a Bears/Lions Monday night game in 2012 which also went up against a Romney/Obama debate, and an MLB playoff game.

I think there's a lot of factors at work here. The commissioner has become very disliked, but that's only one angle. I think the biggest is the national anthem situation. Hardcore and regular fans are still going to watch. But the anthem thing is offputting enough to bother some casual fans. It's about the "hey look at me" during a team sport, and it doesn't set well with some. I also think the retirement of a guy like Manning and suspension of Brady means the two biggest faces of the NFL for years have not been on the field.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/27/nfl-ratings-drop-across-the-board-in-week-3/

proximity
09-28-2016, 08:38 PM
I think there's a lot of factors at work here. The commissioner has become very disliked, but that's only one angle. I think the biggest is the national anthem situation. Hardcore and regular fans are still going to watch. But the anthem thing is offputting enough to bother some casual fans.

the commissioner is a clown as replay randall and robert fischer mentioned earlier but sports is an ESCAPE from our 9-5 american work weeks and nonsense like these national anthem protests entering this sacred domain of american life is simply disturbing. and it's stuff like this:

A restaurant in Virginia Beach has come under fire for using a Colin Kaepernick jersey as a doormat.

under fire from who? i find it funny that when i go to check my email that 95% of the articles on yahoo are pro-kaepernick but 95% of the sometimes thousands of comments below the articles are anti-kaepernick.

it's bad enough we have to read this crap but then we turn on sports (our escape) and have to hear implications that there's something wrong with us if we're not open to "conversations" about these supposed issues.

another thing is that we have supposedly "specialist" channels like nfl network but the segments just get dumber and dumber. fantasy stats (kay adams is dominating), silly power ratings, worthless filler. nothing in depth like taking us behind the scenes into colts headquarters to see how we're training to injury every cornerback on the roster? why we had to sell our soul to the devil and bring in antonio cromartie who has god only knows how many kids by how many different mothers and won't stand for the national anthem? kaepernick's an immature brat..... you're 32 years old antonio!!

sorry for the long post but some of this is troubling......

Secondbest
09-28-2016, 10:26 PM
the commissioner is a clown as replay randall and robert fischer mentioned earlier but sports is an ESCAPE from our 9-5 american work weeks and nonsense like these national anthem protests entering this sacred domain of american life is simply disturbing. and it's stuff like this:

under fire from who? i find it funny that when i go to check my email that 95% of the articles on yahoo are pro-kaepernick but 95% of the sometimes thousands of comments below the articles are anti-kaepernick.

it's bad enough we have to read this crap but then we turn on sports (our escape) and have to hear implications that there's something wrong with us if we're not open to "conversations" about these supposed issues.

another thing is that we have supposedly "specialist" channels like nfl network but the segments just get dumber and dumber. fantasy stats (kay adams is dominating), silly power ratings, worthless filler. nothing in depth like taking us behind the scenes into colts headquarters to see how we're training to injury every cornerback on the roster? why we had to sell our soul to the devil and bring in antonio cromartie who has god only knows how many kids by how many different mothers and won't stand for the national anthem? kaepernick's an immature brat..... you're 32 years old antonio!!

sorry for the long post but some of this is troubling......
I agree with you 100%. What really pissed me off was last Thursday in the middle of the game CBS showed a player with his fist up during the anthem. Why show it? What the purpose after the game started to show that crap.I turned off the game at that point. I try to watch at kickoff so I don't have to see that shit.

Valuist
09-28-2016, 11:30 PM
One other point as to why the NFL has a problem: poor play.

The union has got it so that practice time has been reduced considerably, and almost no hitting at all. Teams are afraid of getting hurt in preseason, so regulars get very few reps. By the time the season starts, most players aren't ready. Endless penalties....poor fundamentals. It's getting tougher to watch.

magwell
09-28-2016, 11:45 PM
One other point as to why the NFL has a problem: poor play.

The union has got it so that practice time has been reduced considerably, and almost no hitting at all. Teams are afraid of getting hurt in preseason, so regulars get very few reps. By the time the season starts, most players aren't ready. Endless penalties....poor fundamentals. It's getting tougher to watch.I agree but its just like the race track with its problems, we sport and track people aren't going anywhere, we're addicted (at least i am)....;)

proximity
09-29-2016, 12:30 AM
I agree with you 100%. What really pissed me off was last Thursday in the middle of the game CBS showed a player with his fist up during the anthem. Why show it? What the purpose after the game started to show that crap.I turned off the game at that point. I try to watch at kickoff so I don't have to see that shit.

exactly.

we are tuning in for the football, not 60 minutes.

forced89
09-29-2016, 09:00 AM

My reasons are too many penalties particularly roughing the QB, dangerous hits (which often are not so dangerous), pass interference and unsportsmanlike conduct. Official often determine the outcome. Other problems are the amount of time instant replay takes and too many commercials. It is just tough to hang with a game.

Valuist
09-29-2016, 02:00 PM
I agree but its just like the race track with its problems, we sport and track people aren't going anywhere, we're addicted (at least i am)....;)

The "addicted" aren't the problem. The problem is the casual fan.

thaskalos
09-29-2016, 02:17 PM
The "addicted" aren't the problem. The problem is the casual fan.

What else is there for the casual fan to do on a lazy Sunday noon...or afternoon? We know he ain't going to the racetrack. :)

Tor Ekman
09-29-2016, 03:09 PM
Mark Cuban in 2014:
I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion. I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business.

RaceBookJoe
10-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Biggest issue I see, outside of questionable ref calls and lack of fun/too many penalties, is the injury concern. Seems like lots of concussions etc going on...but when you have players that are bigger, stronger and faster than at any time in the league and they are running and hitting each other at these speeds...injuries are going to happen.

Valuist
10-12-2016, 07:59 PM
What else is there for the casual fan to do on a lazy Sunday noon...or afternoon? We know he ain't going to the racetrack. :)

He isn't on Saturday's either, although he/she might be betting horses from home. There's still over half the Sundays in the year with no regular season or playoff NFL football, so I guess one does on Sunday in September what they might've done on Sunday in May.

cj's dad
10-12-2016, 11:30 PM
Team A down 27- 10 in the 4th Qtr. and DE Shamirique Johnson sacks the QB and proceeds to do a 15 second dance in celebration in lieu of getting back into the losing teams huddle. His team is then given a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and the sack becomes inconsequential! I am finding it harder and harder to watch the NFL. This does not apply to any one team but as far as I can tell it applies to all !! Sickening IMO !

ElKabong
10-13-2016, 12:25 AM
No Peyton. No Brady for the first four weeks. Keep hearing lack of star power is the reason.

To me, it's the dance routines after plays. Completely gay. I want to watch a football game, nor chippendales.

JustRalph
10-13-2016, 01:20 AM
Radio show here in Texas this morning put a bounty on Kaepernick. Any player that hurts him and puts him out for the season gets a reward.

They were taking calls to raise money :lol:

Valuist
10-13-2016, 01:25 AM
Radio show here in Texas this morning put a bounty on Kaepernick. Any player that hurts him and puts him out for the season gets a reward.

It won't take much. He's down over 20 pounds. Don't look for him to run much because he'll get killed. And when Colin tries to be a pocket passer, bad things happen (for his team).

proximity
10-13-2016, 01:58 AM
Team A down 27- 10 in the 4th Qtr. and DE Shamirique Johnson sacks the QB and proceeds to do a 15 second dance in celebration in lieu of getting back into the losing teams huddle. His team is then given a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and the sack becomes inconsequential! I am finding it harder and harder to watch the NFL. This does not apply to any one team but as far as I can tell it applies to all !! Sickening IMO !

i wish it applied to the colts.

the 15 yard penalty would be worth it just to see evidence of a pass rush. :)

burnsy
10-13-2016, 07:30 AM

That's why they do it. The media understands that most are influenced by emotion. Facebook is this on steroids but the media is a hint more subtle. People are "moved" by the "sappy" stuff and angered by politics, division and rebellion. In the scheme of life, how fragile it is, how short it is and how individual it is..........people really should not give a shit.....the more they do, the more they'll rub it in.

The laugh is people don't how "duped" they are or how they are being used. None of this crap will end the world as we know it, but for some reason people act like it will. If a media Exec read your post and some of the others.......its smiles ear to ear.........

ElKabong
10-13-2016, 10:12 AM

Buddy Ryan has a radio show now ;)

I remember the bounty bowl. He and jimmy Johnson were both douchebags, was fun to watch that soap opera unfold.

ronsmac
10-13-2016, 12:04 PM
That's why they do it. The media understands that most are influenced by emotion. Facebook is this on steroids but the media is a hint more subtle. People are "moved" by the "sappy" stuff and angered by politics, division and rebellion. In the scheme of life, how fragile it is, how short it is and how individual it is..........people really should not give a shit.....the more they do, the more they'll rub it in.

The laugh is people don't how "duped" they are or how they are being used. None of this crap will end the world as we know it, but for some reason people act like it will. If a media Exec read your post and some of the others.......its smiles ear to ear.........That's true. The people who support the movement love to see it. The people who don't support it also want to see it so they can get angry and riled up. I see both sides but generally indifferent so I don't really care. I do care that the Nfl has become the No Fun League though. I love the celebrations. My favorite was Deion Sander's dance, but I also loved Billy"white shoes"Johnson and the Mark Gastineu sack dance. These flags are ridiculous.

ElKabong
10-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Add another thing to dislike about the nfl. Thursday night uniforms. The all color, no white, jerseys and pants look like awful. Denver looks like they're wearing footie pajamas. Thank goodness baseball is on the teevee tonight

Secondbest
10-13-2016, 10:37 PM

The laugh is people don't how "duped" they are or how they are being used. None of this crap will end the world as we know it, but for some reason people act like it will. If a media Exec read your post and some of the others.......its smiles ear to ear.........
Why would he smile if people stop watching their product. When ratings are down the AD dollars dry up.

JustRalph
10-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Why would he smile if people stop watching their product. When ratings are down the AD dollars dry up.

I don't think it works that way. The NFL has a contract that is guaranteed. The networks sell the ads. It's actually hurting the networks, not the NFL.

Unless the contract has ratings clauses, the NFL doesn't care. I've never heard of ratings clauses in the NFL. NASCAR had some way back when. But they were more incentives. Nascar went to the same thing as the NFL ten years ago.

The only true worry is the next contract for TV.

Secondbest
10-13-2016, 11:23 PM
I don't think it works that way. The NFL has a contract that is guaranteed. The networks sell the ads. It's actually hurting the networks, not the NFL.

Unless the contract has ratings clauses, the NFL doesn't care. I've never heard of ratings clauses in the NFL. NASCAR had some way back when. But they were more incentives. Nascar went to the same thing as the NFL ten years ago.

The only true worry is the next contract for TV.
I was talking about the media not the NFL. That's the smiling guy . It's his show Me and a lot of other people have stopped watching like we used to. When they have to give buybacks to the advertisers I don't think their smiling.

kingfin66
10-14-2016, 10:02 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/clinton-trump-and-the-3-biggest-reasons-nfl-tv-ratings-are-down-204942343.html

kingfin66
10-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Buddy Ryan has a radio show now ;)

I remember the bounty bowl. He and jimmy Johnson were both douchebags, was fun to watch that soap opera unfold.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/16579465/former-nfl-coach-defensive-guru-buddy-ryan-dies-age-85

JustRalph
10-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Are you sure about that?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/16579465/former-nfl-coach-defensive-guru-buddy-ryan-dies-age-85

He was being facetious.......note the emoji. I got it.......

I loved Buddy Ryan as a coach

proximity
10-14-2016, 10:13 PM

here's another one:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/hot-mic-hot-take-jim-nantz-criticizes-nfl-players-kneeling-for-the-national-anthem-154112497.html

btw jim's also right that toast should be toasted. it's not that difficult. :faint:

kingfin66
10-14-2016, 11:59 PM
He was being facetious.......note the emoji. I got it.......

I loved Buddy Ryan as a coach

Oh dammit, you're right! That went right over my head. I get it now. :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Valuist
10-18-2016, 01:07 PM
Last night on MNF, Sean McDonough (sp?) mentioned that TV ratings were down, and pointed out the endless array of penalty flags making the game unwatchable. Kudos to him for saying that; I just hope ESPN (or the NFL) doesn't suspend him for telling the truth.

EasyGoer89
10-18-2016, 03:41 PM
People are turned off by the corruption in New England, no real punishments of yearlong suspensions or stripped super bowl titles (like college football does) has made people realize the nfl is the WWF, the games are scripted and everyone knows it. It's not as appealing as it was when we thought this was all on the up and up.

magwell
10-18-2016, 04:14 PM
I don't know anyone turned off by the NFL except when players don't stand for the national anthem ........:)

Secondbest
10-18-2016, 07:04 PM
Sunday mighty game drew 13.6 million viewers. The lowest rated SNF game since 2011. The thursday game slighty outdrew Sunday.

proximity
10-18-2016, 07:53 PM
Sunday mighty game drew 13.6 million viewers. The lowest rated SNF game since 2011. The thursday game slighty outdrew Sunday.

i wish it would've been 13.599999 ;)

Inner Dirt
10-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Now the worst currently starting QB in the league, Colin Kaepernick wears a black panther T-shirt to a press conference. They are already tolerating players disrespecting the flag, now this pathetic SOB shows his support for a group of militant criminals.

JustRalph
10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
There biggest problem is shitty games like last night

Valuist
10-24-2016, 08:07 PM
There biggest problem is shitty games like last night

I don't have a problem with low scoring games, but the level of play in the league is the worst I can remember. Teams practice far less than they use to, and virtually no hitting. And it shows.

BELMONT 6-6-09
10-24-2016, 08:11 PM
The new rules changes enacted a few years ago has hurt the level of play and many of these thugs( players) are confused as to where and how to hit the opponent. Who knows what other measures will be approved to tame the game down. maybe Jack Lambert was right they outta put a dress on the quarter back, and the others too!!! LOL

barahona44
10-25-2016, 11:09 PM
Well, one problem they have can be solved by putting Port-O-Potties on the sidelines.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/24/redskins-coach-ben-kotwica-pees-in-gatorade-cup-sideline-detroit/

ElKabong
10-26-2016, 01:15 AM
I don't have a problem with low scoring games, but the level of play in the league is the worst I can remember. Teams practice far less than they use to, and virtually no hitting. And it shows.

Offensive line play is at the lowest level I've seen since 1977, before they allowed linemen to use hands more, legally, to block. Dallas has the best o line I've seen this year.... And they got owned by the Giants in week one....Prescott's first start, a very conservative game plan. Maybe the reason the o line was eaten up, not for sure

Inner Dirt
10-26-2016, 09:54 AM
Offensive line play is at the lowest level I've seen since 1977, before they allowed linemen to use hands more, legally, to block. Dallas has the best o line I've seen this year.... And they got owned by the Giants in week one....Prescott's first start, a very conservative game plan. Maybe the reason the o line was eaten up, not for sure

At the same time they took away allowing defenders to strike a blocker in the head or go to his face, that started a slew of rule changes and their interpretation to help the passing game.

ElKabong
10-26-2016, 10:42 AM
Among those, the db's couldn't chuck a wide receiver past 5 yards downfield. I played corner in high school, I don't know how a corner could possibly cover effectively without physically engaging someone before the pass is thrown. You need to be engaged as long as possible. Otherwise you were at a disadvantage

Different technique for sure, but the moment that rule changed corners had to be much faster and quicker than before.

Robert Fischer
10-26-2016, 11:03 AM
I like to see when an O-lineman is aware of the 'angle' between the defender/him/ball-carrierOrQB.

Know that angle, and even if you are beat on a play, you can ride that angle out to the completion of the play, and often times that is sufficient. I don't care if a beaten lineman is simply 'in the way' of the defender.

Have no clue/care/awareness of that angle - and all you can do once beaten is grab and tackle a defender with your arms.

burnsy
10-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Yeah, these penalties suck. The calls suck. I almost think they make them to keep the games close. I bet the Seahawks and I think the Refs bet on New Orleans.......its that BAD.

kingfin66
10-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Was it the calls or the non-calls. There were two plays where it looked as though the N.O. receivers clearly interfered with Seattle DBs.

burnsy
10-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Was it the calls or the non-calls. There were two plays where it looked as though the N.O. receivers clearly interfered with Seattle DBs.

Both, what you referred to, plus a couple "defensive holding" calls vs. Seattle. One was a back breaker, 4th down to first down (it was a great third down play and the guy got shanked on that call) and then NO completes a huge "Flea Flicker" which should of never had the chance to begin with. At one point the penalty ratio was 12-1 against Seattle, which in this game (football) may be mathematically impossible to do.

LottaKash
10-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Went to the Doctor for Insomnia...

Doctor prescribed watchning the NFL...Worked like a charm..Thx Doc.. :jump: :jump...NOT

burnsy
10-31-2016, 09:27 AM
Went to the Doctor for Insomnia...

Doctor prescribed watchning the NFL...Worked like a charm..Thx Doc.. :jump: :jump...NOT

When you are suffering through the work week. Thursday night football is a guaranteed snoozer. Start the weekend off right, watch those games and sleep well Thursday night. You'll feel like a King on Friday morning!

Marshall Bennett
10-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Titans vs. Jags in prime time. I've heard these schedules are made way in advance and that's an excuse networks often use. Neither of these teams have been worth a crap in ages. :ThmbDown:

barahona44
10-31-2016, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Titans vs. Jags in prime time. I've heard these schedules are made way in advance and that's an excuse networks often use. Neither of these teams have been worth a crap in ages. :ThmbDown:
Every team is required to play one Thursday game each year, including Thanksgiving,(This doesn't include the season opener featuring the Super Bowl champ)

Maybe the NFL decided, for one night at least, to put two of their rotten apples in one barrell.

Valuist
10-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Game 5 of the World Series outdrew the Eagles/Cowboys Sunday Nighter by 40%. So much for the nonsense any prime time NFL game will always outdraw MLB. This time it wasn't even close.

burnsy
10-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Game 5 of the World Series outdrew the Eagles/Cowboys Sunday Nighter by 40%. So much for the nonsense any prime time NFL game will always outdraw MLB. This time it wasn't even close.

I was wondering about that and I'm not surprised. That was even a really good football game. But the NFL has multiple issues now, I ask my friends (both genders) and they say the same thing.

1. They watch football to steer clear of politics and all of the finger pointing crap. Sports and Movies have always been a forum to escape that garbage.

2. Many of them complain about the "over reporting" of the off the field crap. Domestic violence and violence or crime is bad but if its a football player these fools will kick it to death for hours upon hours and days.....Say it once or twice and move on. That crap has nothing to do with the game itself. In other words, See number 1! People don't want protests and they don't need a crime report with a bunch of sappy BS!

3. The penalties are killing interest in the game. Twenty something penalties in a regular season game is a joke, a travesty. Then suddenly the playoffs start and there are 3 or 4 a game........lately that's even gotten worse. What's the deal? They play cleaner after the season is over? I understand the "safety" calls for roughing and late hits but these ticky, tacky, holding calls and pass interference calls are an absolute detriment to the game. They are so inconsistent that the Refs look like the Keystone Cops out there......they just suck.

Anyone that thinks I'm kidding, just ask people that watch less now and listen to what they say.

Valuist
10-31-2016, 02:51 PM
I was wondering about that and I'm not surprised. That was even a really good football game. But the NFL has multiple issues now, I ask my friends (both genders) and they say the same thing.

1. They watch football to steer clear of politics and all of the finger pointing crap. Sports and Movies have always been a forum to escape that garbage.

2. Many of them complain about the "over reporting" of the off the field crap. Domestic violence and violence or crime is bad but if its a football player these fools will kick it to death for hours upon hours and days.....Say it once or twice and move on. That crap has nothing to do with the game itself. In other words, See number 1! People don't want protests and they don't need a crime report with a bunch of sappy BS!

3. The penalties are killing interest in the game. Twenty something penalties in a regular season game is a joke, a travesty. Then suddenly the playoffs start and there are 3 or 4 a game........lately that's even gotten worse. What's the deal? They play cleaner after the season is over? I understand the "safety" calls for roughing and late hits but these ticky, tacky, holding calls and pass interference calls are an absolute detriment to the game. They are so inconsistent that the Refs look like the Keystone Cops out there......they just suck.

Anyone that thinks I'm kidding, just ask people that watch less now and listen to what they say.

The Raiders set a single game record for penalties yesterday....and amazingly, still won.

burnsy
10-31-2016, 06:48 PM
The Raiders set a single game record for penalties yesterday....and amazingly, still won.

Yeah, but does that make people watch or piss them off? And they were playing Tampa Bay so I'll believe anything that involves the Buccaneers' losing.

There were several other games with a ton of penalties too. Not just that one. This is getting worse not better. I guess its trendy, but I know several people that watched every week and now they don't care.

When people say "unwatchable" they will eventually have a problem.

magwell
10-31-2016, 07:18 PM
I know several people cant get enough NFL (like me) .......;)

RaceBookJoe
11-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Heard on the radio that viewership is down 19% on Sunday Night games and 24% on MNF...or vice-versa cant really remember. Sunday's when there is a London game, its hard to ask a fan with a family etc to sit for approx 14hrs watching football. Combine that with bs calls/inconsistent refs, its no wonder why the ratings are dropping.

ronsmac
11-04-2016, 12:02 AM
The flags for celebrating and taunting have turned me off completely. Sports and talking trash go together like peanut butter and jelly. Even in my day of low level organized sports, late 70s til mid 80s. Smack talk was what made it fun and why all the teens from my era loved watching the hurricanes. The refs have made the games unwatchable. The terrible primetime matchups haven't helped either.

Valuist
11-10-2016, 12:30 PM
And for one's viewing "pleasure" tonight? The 0-9 Cleveland Browns. A couple weeks ago it was the Jags. Just can't figure out why people aren't tuning in. :D

lamboguy
11-10-2016, 12:40 PM
the offshore gambling has basically been shut down for most people, and the fantasy stuff is nothing but a scam.

they lose a lot of people to watch those games if they don't have any financial interest in the outcome of the event.

Inner Dirt
11-10-2016, 01:35 PM
the offshore gambling has basically been shut down for most people, and the fantasy stuff is nothing but a scam.

they lose a lot of people to watch those games if they don't have any financial interest in the outcome of the event.

If it wasn't for gambling and Fantasy Football is gambling whether dictator Goodell thinks so or not next to no one is going to tune in to a pair of 10 loss teams playing each other late in the season.

Track Collector
11-10-2016, 02:30 PM

This.

I am in the minority in that I am a fan without a financial interest.

ultracapper
11-11-2016, 12:21 AM
NFL games are too long? They aren't the ones who stop the clock after every first down. NFL games are going to always be right around 3 hours to 3:15. Get two passing teams in college and one is looking at a 4 hour game. College needs to rethink their rules on clock stoppages.

At least when a college game gets drug out, they're lighting up the scoreboard. The NFL can drag a 17-13 game out with penalty flags and replays and injury stoppages (the worst delay of them all. A guy will be laying on the ground for 3 or 4 minutes, then get up and walk off as if all he did was stub his $2M toe.) to the point it ends up having zero flow.

With the new avert-injury-rules in play, these QBs should be averaging 350 yards a game. Instead we have half of them with 70% completion rates averaging 4.5 yards per attempt. It's just boring. Stefan Diggs had 13 catches last week for, drum roll please, 80 yards. Impressive.

ultracapper
11-11-2016, 12:27 AM

The overseas games have been nothing short of gross. A third tier soccer match in London is 5 times as exciting as the London games have been this year.

rastajenk
11-11-2016, 07:48 AM
What? You weren't on the edge of your seat throughout a 5-quarter tie a couple weeks ago??? :confused:

Secondbest
11-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Election is over. Sunday night is great matchup Seattle at NE. If that doesn't draw they have real problems.

ultracapper
11-11-2016, 01:50 PM
What? You weren't on the edge of your seat throughout a 5-quarter tie a couple weeks ago??? :confused:

My favorite team, my home team, a team touted as a serious Super Bpwl contender, was a participant in that game. I quit watching early in the 2nd half, peaked in now and again the remainder of the evening, and actually missed seeing both botched potential game winning field goals. Can you imagine living in Seattle, watching that entire game only to end with Hauschka missing that kick to end the game? Are you effin' kidding me?

GROSS

rastajenk
11-11-2016, 04:18 PM
Actually, since you mentioned the London games, I was referring to the one involving my home team, the Bengals. Which I skipped, in order to play golf. So yeah, the point's the same: the NFL does have a problem.

woodtoo
11-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Other than being the most boring sport on television its still pretty bad. :ThmbDown:
You want action packed exiting football turn on the CFL Edmonton Eskimos at Ottawa Redblacks snowstorm bowl. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
12-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Does the NFL have a problem?

To quote Cosmo Kramer "oh it's got a big problem!"

Does anyone know what a catch is anymore? And some horrible officiating, not even counting the Steelers game. Look at the Byrd TD for Carolina, clearly landing on the end line and after the review, they overturn the (correct) call? The Cowboys getting a first down, when they clearly miss? Lots of problems for Roger G, the worst commissioner in sports.

lamboguy
12-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Does the NFL have a problem?

To quote Cosmo Kramer "oh it's got a big problem!"

Does anyone know what a catch is anymore? And some horrible officiating, not even counting the Steelers game. Look at the Byrd TD for Carolina, clearly landing on the end line and after the review, they overturn the (correct) call? The Cowboys getting a first down, when they clearly miss? Lots of problems for Roger G, the worst commissioner in sports.i have to give you plenty of credit for spotting the decline of this sport long before others here including myself.

when it comes to football, i am all ears to what you post.

Marshall Bennett
12-18-2017, 04:36 PM
For a NFL referee to bring an index card in a game to measure for a 1st down is insulting to the entire league, and every fan that watches. You make a viable call with what you see and believe and go with it.
The game was decided with an index card. The moron should be FIRED.
Oh, and why wasn't a level used to insure the 1st down stick was perfectly straight? Geometry 101 says it certainly should.

lamboguy
12-18-2017, 05:12 PM
For a NFL referee to bring an index card in a game to measure for a 1st down is insulting to the entire league, and every fan that watches. You make a viable call with what you see and believe and go with it.
The game was decided with an index card. The moron should be FIRED.
Oh, and why wasn't a level used to insure the 1st down stick was perfectly straight? Geometry 101 says it certainly should.you aren't even mentioning the people that are betting on these games! how would you feel if you have your rent money on this game and your bet is decided with an index card?