PDA

View Full Version : Sheets question

andicap
07-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Give or take, 1 full point on the Sheets is about equal to 3 Beyer points? Is this correct and does this vary by sprint or route?

cj
07-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I think I remember that a point on T-Graph is worth about .5 length in a sprint, and about 1 length in a route.

For Beyers, a rough estimate is around 2.5 points per length for sprints, and around 1.8 for routes.

rrbauer
07-15-2004, 03:04 PM
RAGOZIN FIG = (48.75 + (-.396 x BEYER FIG))

Example: (Beyer 80 x -.396)= -31.68
48.75 + (-31.68) = 17.07 for Ragozin Fig

You need to do some interpolation based on the size of the decimal fraction to get into the Ragozin + and - stuff. In this case the decimal fraction is not significant.

This comes from a correlation of several thousand sheets to the Beyer #'s for the same horses (about 10-12 years ago). The correlation coefficient was pretty good (maybe .88 or so) and much of the difference could be accounted for by Ragozin adjustments for things like weight and ground loss. I used fast and firm figs only.

There should be no adjustment for sprint/route on dirt; or, for turf sprints.

Somewhere along the line Beyer started making some adjustment for beaten-off-length values (valuing bol's as if it were a 6.5f race and not a route) on turf routes and I really don't know if Ragozin makes any adjustments like that. I do know that there have been periods here in SoCal when the Ragozin turf figs seem "fast" when compared to Beyer figs. One such time was when Santa Anita revamped their turf course and went to the hybrid bermuda surface. Apparently, Ragozin was still using pars from the old surface. Needless to say there were a lot of sub-10 figs that wouldn't hold up elsewhere.

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Richard,

Thanks for the formula. It has been safely tucked away in my own personal archive of horse racing information.

Dave

Tom
07-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I love this board!
Thanks, Richard.

Tom
07-15-2004, 07:06 PM
andicap,
In one the recent newsletters, Ken has a chart showing the relationship of the Fig2 numbers to HTR per numbers and Cramer figs.

andicap
07-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Tom. I wanted to know the Sheets measure because I'm re-reading "The Odds Must be Crazy" and trying to relate Cramer to Ragozin. (Yes, Sheets people I know it's not a perfect fit because Cramer doesn't adjust for ground loss, weight, wind, etc.)

Lance
07-17-2004, 06:50 PM
cjmilkowski wrote:

"I think I remember that a point on T-Graph is worth about .5 length in a sprint, and about 1 length in a route."

Actually, a point is worth about one length at five furlongs and two lengths at ten furlongs, with a slide in between. This is for both T-Graph and Rags.