PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Wednesday, September 21

Teach
09-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Race One:

My confidence level, at least in trying to handicap this first race, a 25k maiden-claimer, has reached a low ebb. I know…it’s only a 6-horse field, but… I might as well be throwing darts at a dartboard, blindfolded. :3: Bellamy Torch, almost by default, is my tepid, lukewarm, half-baked - you get the picture - choice in this sprint. I’m trying to make excuses for this Bellamy Road-bred 3 year-old bay filly. Yet, I find it hard to do so. Furthermore, I must profess it’s difficult to get enthusiastic about a filly that has finished last in all three of her pari-mutuel starts. Her connections started this filly out in a route on the main, then entered her in two grass races, one a sprint, the other a route. Nada. Nihil (indeclinable). In her favor...she has faced better. And, her morning work-tab is steady and good. Her connections are solid: a Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott (Mott does well with horses entered in claiming races) for an established outfit, the Kinsman Stable. The jock is the aggressive Junior Alvarado. Others: :6: , :1: , :2:

Race Two:

:3: Global Positioning comes back to the races on relatively short rest. In his last race, on the grass, this Malibu Moon-bred was bumped at the start, then contended for the lead, yet faded in the stretch. Well, this 4 year-old is back on the main (I like, ad nauseam, the turf-to-dirt angle) where he’s achieved his successes. In fact, if he ever runs back to a sprint at “The Spa” in early August, he’ll demolish this field. That is a big “If”. This gelding should be vying for the lead (he must be wary of getting hooked in a speed duel), or better yet, he can be guided into a perfect stalking position. Either way, he should be a factor. Manny Franco - he’s having a solid meet – is in the irons for trainer Naipaul Chatterpaul. Others: :2: , :5: , :6:

Race Three:

:2: Port More drops into “the selling ranks” after two lackluster tries against MSW company. This Dixie Union-bred bay colt may well have moved to a level that makes him a competitor. A “contendah,” as Marlon Brando would say in “On the Waterfront”. Do I hear wake-up call? Cockadoodledoo! The colt’s trainer, Gary Sciacca has gotten off to a solid start at Belmont. Sciacca does well with first-time maiden claimers, albeit with a limited sampling. This Gone Astray-bred turned in a solid recent morning work in which he breezed four panels in :48.4. One of the best jocks on the NYRA circuit, Jose Ortiz, is in the irons. Others: :4: , :5: , :6:

Race Four:

:2: Kitten’s Dilemma, a well-bred, e.g., Kitten’s Joy (El Prado) 3 year-old gelding who raced “greenly” in his only pari-mutuel start, is my pick in this turf route. Well, I’m willing to give this Coronado’s Quest-bred “a mulligan”. “Mechanicsville Chad” has given this gelding a 3-month summer vacation (he was scratched out of a race at “The Spa”) in the hopes that he is now better prepared to become “a player” in this his second career start. The gelding is stretching out a couple panels off that initial try; yet his breeding appears to indicate that he should handle the added distance of ground. Brown has added blinkers with the idea – I have to assume – that it will keep this gelding focused on his task. The broodmare, Love or Money, had three winners from five starters (one turf winner). “El Maestro,” Javier Castellano, is in the stirrups. Others: :1: , :3: , :5:

Race Five:

:5: Frosty Lady is a lightly-raced 5 year-old Giant’s Causeway-bred chestnut mare who has won her last two, albeit against weaker. Yet, the versatile distaff turfster can stalk, or as she demonstrated in her most recent race, go gate-to-wire. Personally, I believe Luis Saez is one the best at putting a horse on the lead and then rating him/her. If this Dom Schettino trainee can comfortably make the front, she may well be playing catch me if you can. Can she, as the late-great Howard Cosell used to say, “…go all the way”? A recent-decent morning work signals readiness. Others: :7: , :6: , :1:

Race Six:

In this 6-panels n1x allowance turf sprint, my choice is the assumed prohibitive favorite, :5: Animal Appeal. This Leroidesanimaux (Candy Stripes)-bred bay filly has been a model of consistency since being claimed by trainer Jeremiah Englehart for Neal Allread. The filly has hit the tote in eight of her last nine races; she certainly has the ability to make it three wins in four starts. Yet, don’t expect much in return at “the windows” as this filly has gone “chalk” in her last five races. No, emphatically no, there isn’t going to be much value here; yet, it’s hard to “look a gift horse in the face”. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride for the aforementioned Englehart (he does extremely well with beaten favorites). A solid recent 4-panels morning-work signals readiness. Others: :4: , :8: , :2:

Race Seven:

As Jerry Lee Lewis used to say, “There’s A Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On.” And, that was the story-line, or should I say trouble line, for :6: Heated Verdict in his last race at Saratoga in late-August in a turf sprint. In that one, this 3 year-old bay gelding was subjected to more “bumping and grinding” than I used to see at burlesque shows at Boston’s “Old Howard” in the now demolished – since 1962 - Scollay Square. Yet, in the aforementioned race, this Dixie Union-bred ran on and finished a respectable third (considering his troubled start). I guess what I’m leading up to is that, in my opinion, if this gelding can steer clear of gate issues, he should prevail here. The most capable George Weaver trains this Gulch-bred. Weaver does well with second races off a layoff. I might also mention it’s this gelding’s second start with Lasix. Luis Saez reprises the ride. Others: :4: , :5: , :1:

Race Eight:

In this OC turf route on The Inner, my pick is :8: Ack Naughty. This Chad Brown trainee was taken up at the break in her last and ended up finishing a closing 4th. This 4 year-old Afleet Alex-bred bay filly simply ran out of real estate in that one as she came 7-wide into the stretch. Well, the added “teenth” should help. Yet, in all candor, this filly has a propensity to catch the bridal bouquet instead of throwing it. Yes, she’s been a bridesmaid in four of her last five starts. “Mechanicsville Chad” – he’s picking up where he left off at “The Spa” – is this filly’s conditioner. Brown has switched to jockey Javier Castellano. Castellano. “El Maestro” is one of the best raters of horses on the NYRA circuit. He knows how to put a horse in the right place, at the right time. Others: :6: , :3: , :4:

Race Nine:

In the finale, I’m going out on the limb with a longshot. :5: Gait To Heaven, the 15-1 ML first-time starter, is my pick to win the nightcap in this maiden-claiming turf route. This Freud-bred has a solid turf pedigree which as the DRF cites: “suggests he will like the grass”. Trainer Tony Quartarolo does very well with debut turf starters, albeit with a most limited sampling, two. Yet, the factor that initially caught my eye about this Storm Cat-bred 3 year-old bay gelding was a recent morning work. This gelding “drilled” five panels in 1:00.3, breezing from the gate. …from the gate. Paco Lopez – he does well in turf races – has the call. Others: :11: , :7: , :6: