PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan Star

AltonKelsey
09-19-2016, 05:20 PM
http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/2020439/pakistan-star-has-all-ingredients-be-one-racings-cult-heroes

Proving the first race was not a freak, but the horse is, once again puts on a show.

Linda Rice should try to buy him, but I'd think he'd cost a pretty penny at this point.

betovernetcapper
09-19-2016, 05:48 PM
The horse can run & I was a little surprised that he was able to win when moving up in class. It's interesting that in each or his races he saved ground till the stretch & then moved well clear of the other horses for his run. He has yet to encounter any traffic problems & if he can duplicate his late run when he has to run through traffic, I'll be a fan. Till then, I'm impressed but have reservations.

AltonKelsey
09-19-2016, 07:25 PM
The horse can run & I was a little surprised that he was able to win when moving up in class. It's interesting that in each or his races he saved ground till the stretch & then moved well clear of the other horses for his run. He has yet to encounter any traffic problems & if he can duplicate his late run when he has to run through traffic, I'll be a fan. Till then, I'm impressed but have reservations.

I'm not really surprised he repeated, the first out was clearly a display of talent. I think a lot of people were fooled thinking it was against nothing , first time out, yadda yadda. Didn't pay much , so even the doubters must have had some respect.

Traffic trouble would be a problem, but making that wide late move should avoid it most of time.

Nitro
09-19-2016, 09:40 PM
I'm not really surprised he repeated, the first out was clearly a display of talent. I think a lot of people were fooled thinking it was against nothing , first time out, yadda yadda. Didn't pay much , so even the doubters must have had some respect.

Traffic trouble would be a problem, but making that wide late move should avoid it most of time.
Hong Kong 9/18 Race#10 - 1400M – 7F - TURF - "C+3" COURSE
Time :...............(13.34).......(35.13)......(59.22) .........(1.21.54)
Sectional Time : 13.34 ..........21.79.........24.09.............22.32

I’m not sure which race you guys were watching, but I don’t believe anyone was fooled about P. Star’s ability. It opened on the board (in a field of 14 decent runners) at 1.9 / 1 and closed at 1.7/1.

I'm also not sure how you evaluate capability, but if you watched the race P. Star broke dead last and remained last for 1000M (5F) with 13 runners in front of him. (Talk about traffic!) Then it made a move only Forego fans could appreciate. Please note the final sectional time! This horse has a real future.

The last 800M ( 4F – 1/2mile)
http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/finishphoto.asp?racedate=20160918R10_L.jpg

My live selections for this race:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133507&page=3

chenoa
09-19-2016, 09:53 PM
The horse is the talk of Hong Kong. Last quarter 21.44. Looking forward to the next race.

AltonKelsey
09-19-2016, 10:56 PM
Seems the all powerful Track Handicapper is equally impressed.

In HK its not always a good thing to be too flashy.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/2020678/ratings-pakistan-star-surpasses-silent-witness-same-stage-his-career

woodbinepmi
09-20-2016, 12:49 AM
On my speed figures he got a 91.8 for the first 1000 metres then a 111 for the final 400 metres for a final figure of 202.8, which is fast enough to win at Class 2. He is visually impressive, reminds me a lot of Dehere. Hopefully they won't weigh him down too much against more seasoned runners.

The maiden in race 2 (30) on Sunday Jing Jing Win also looked good, but the field he caught was a very weak Class 4. His speed figures were 95.6+105.7=201.3 which makes him competitive in Class 3.

betovernetcapper
09-20-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm also not sure how you evaluate capability, but if you watched the race P. Star broke dead last and remained last for 1000M (5F) with 13 runners in front of him. (Talk about traffic!)
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133507&page=3

By traffic I'm talking about being stuck behind horse & moving through a small space. The way he has run each of his races was visually & figuratively impressive, but he has had very clean (almost antiseptically clean) trips. I'm impressed but retain reservations.

AltonKelsey
09-20-2016, 03:50 PM
By traffic I'm talking about being stuck behind horse & moving through a small space. The way he has run each of his races was visually & figuratively impressive, but he has had very clean (almost antiseptically clean) trips. I'm impressed but retain reservations.

Deep closing sprinters frequently get trips like that .

To encounter traffic, the rider would have to be pinned, or elect to go inside at some point.

betovernetcapper
09-20-2016, 04:29 PM
He's bred & being pointed towards 2000+ meter races, so at some point he's going to eyeball other horses. Just watched a replay & noted his hood, which even covers his ears, indicating to me at least that he might have some problems running close to other horses. Good horse, just expressing my reservations.
He may wind up another Silent Witness, just not quite there yet for me. :)

AltonKelsey
09-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Yes, the hood and the bad starts, this one has some idiosyncrasies .

Nitro
09-20-2016, 09:31 PM
Yes, the hood and the bad starts, this one has some idiosyncrasies .
This one is in good hands and in spite of any current peculiarities the fact is this one can run.
Apparently its connections know how deal with these minor issues and as this horse matures these things will probably vaporize. Then we may really see something special.

BTW Alton thanks for creating a thread that creates some awareness for the racing in HK.

AltonKelsey
09-21-2016, 06:35 PM
I've been impressed with Hong Kong racing for some time. The time diff is an issue, but the racing itself and the information provided (almost too much really) is top notch.

I don't know how anyone can do a card over there and pretend to look at all the data, watch the workout vids, etc. The syndicates must have staff that split the workload, but a lone player would almost have to focus on certain races.

Of course they only race twice a week, so you have a few days to work on a card. Can you imagine spending three days handicapping Belmont?

tanner12oz
09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Did a feature on this horse yesterday on tvg

Nitro
09-21-2016, 11:46 PM
I've been impressed with Hong Kong racing for some time. The time diff is an issue, but the racing itself and the information provided (almost too much really) is top notch.

I don't know how anyone can do a card over there and pretend to look at all the data, watch the workout vids, etc. The syndicates must have staff that split the workload, but a lone player would almost have to focus on certain races.

Of course they only race twice a week, so you have a few days to work on a card. Can you imagine spending three days handicapping Belmont?Well Alton I assume that you’ve spent time on the PA forums. If there’s anything that seems to be mentioned on a regular basis it’s about wanting better “information” or the lack thereof when it comes to the local racing.

I agree, the amount of information (and statistics) that the HK Jockey Club produces is incredible. It’s really makes a statement for the transparency and integrity of their game. I’m not sure how anyone could absorb it all, but it actually offers a nice smorgasbord of specific details that some players may or may not find useful for the way they approach the game.

Fortunately, I’ve been able to circumvent the time and energy necessary to assimilate it all by using a specially devised tote analysis in conjunction with the outstanding pre-race individual physicality reports provided by Jenny Chapman. (That’s another obvious flaw lacking with local race programs all over the U.S. Apparently they prefer to show race replays instead of focusing on current condition!):bang:

Because the HKJC also offers 2 pre-race types of morning lines and preliminary odds line, I’m also able to get a bit of a head start when it comes choosing possible early contenders. Of course this can dramatically change once the actual betting begins. However these early selections can prove to be significant, especially when they fall into specific betting patterns later on.
For example, here’s what happened at Happy Valley today (Wed): http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133557&page=2

chenoa
10-04-2016, 12:10 AM
Ran a 1000m trial this morning.

Broke decent and was prominent thru out, ended up finishing 3rd.

https://twitter.com/HKJC_Racing/status/783152041191276544

AltonKelsey
10-04-2016, 12:23 AM
Interesting, and shows you the value of a racing jurisdiction that values transparency.

Hard to know what to make of the work , are they wanting him to be closer early, or was this just a conditioner?

betovernetcapper
10-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Blizzard is a Class 1 or solid Class 2 runner so keeping pace for 5 furlongs with a new running style is pretty good.
My guess the point of the work was to put some speed into him so he can break with the field instead of giving everyone a 3 to 6 length head start.

Nitro
10-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Interesting, and shows you the value of a racing jurisdiction that values transparency.
Hard to know what to make of the work , are they wanting him to be closer early, or was this just a conditioner?All I can say is watch out for this one at 1600M (8F) or more!
It looks like there getting chinks out of the armor, by getting Pakistan Star to break much better. That in itself will reduce the amount of energy necessary to keep pace early on. In my estimation it means it’ll have even more in the tank for that powerful closing punch. I’m looking forward to its upcoming races.

Blizzard is a Class 1 or solid Class 2 runner so keeping pace for 5 furlongs with a new running style is pretty good.
My guess the point of the work was to put some speed into him so he can break with the field instead of giving everyone a 3 to 6 length head start.Agree 100%

Nitro
10-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Early this morning the announcers at HK mentioned that Pakistan Star is entered in another 1400M (7f) race on the next Sha Tin race card. (Sunday 10/16)

Nitro
10-15-2016, 10:30 PM
It’s confirmed: The undefeated Pakistan Star will run in the last race (#11) at Sha Tin this morning. This race will go off at about 5:45 AM EST and will be run at 1400M (7F) on the Turf.

There's an awful lot of discussion in the Far East about this horse's potential.

chenoa
10-15-2016, 10:40 PM
It’s confirmed: The undefeated Pakistan Star will run in the last race (#11) at Sha Tin this morning. This race will go off at about 5:45 AM EST and will be run at 1400M (7F) on the Turf.

There's an awful lot of discussion in the Far East about this horse's potential.

Current Win Place odds in HK are 1.0-1.0

Haven't seen odds like this since SILENT WITNESS took Hong Kong by storm years ago.

Nitro
10-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Current Win Place odds in HK are 1.0-1.0

Haven't seen odds like this since SILENT WITNESS took Hong Kong by storm years ago.

And did you notice the odds on the other entries? If Pakistan Star should falter the tote board will explode!

I’ve posted my early selections for another round of racing at Sha Tin this morning (Sun 10/16) on the following thread:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/...ad.php?t=134034

AltonKelsey
10-16-2016, 12:37 AM
even money not bad, maybe I bet $1000 :D

speaking of crazy, there are some HUGE bets placed on q's late that dont even come close to winning.

Just saw a q go 92 to 36 at the bell. nowhere .

woodbinepmi
10-16-2016, 12:40 AM
He's not even money here in the states, you have to remember the books here take their cut out first. Example: in the first race tonight the winner paid $ 8.40 there, here he only paid $ 6.50.

AltonKelsey
10-16-2016, 12:44 AM
He's not even money here in the states, you have to remember the books here take their cut out first. Example: in the first race tonight the winner paid $ 8.40 there, here he only paid $ 6.50.

Be greatful its not $4.40 , another $2 for shipping.

woodbinepmi
10-16-2016, 12:53 AM
It's sad that we don't get the odds they pay there in Hong Kong, one of the only drawbacks of playing there. Got to pay the vig here.

chenoa
10-16-2016, 01:12 AM
And did you notice the odds on the other entries? If Pakistan Star should falter the tote board will explode!

I’ve posted my early selections for another round of racing at Sha Tin this morning (Sun 10/16) on the following thread:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/...ad.php?t=134034

That would indeed be a WIPEOUT!!!

Nitro
10-16-2016, 03:00 AM
It's sad that we don't get the odds they pay there in Hong Kong, one of the only drawbacks of playing there. Got to pay the vig here.
That's exactly why I prefer playing the best product on the planet!

chenoa
10-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Horse stepped up to Class 2, broke decent enough, looked to me as if Chadwick was starting to wind up around the 950m mark but went backwards/took up for a few strides around the 800m. Just too much ground to make up. Not the greatest ride. But a fine showing by the horse nevertheless.

Went off at 1.40 in Hong Kong, guessing that's around 2/5 North American odds. That's alot of Hong Kong squid on the nose, and considering the Star's running style, there must have been alot of pace makers going off in the stretch. :lol: :lol:

picojim
10-16-2016, 08:02 PM
replay
https://twitter.com/HKJC_Racing/status/787599786320891905

Nitro
10-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Horse stepped up to Class 2, broke decent enough, looked to me as if Chadwick was starting to wind up around the 950m mark but went backwards/took up for a few strides around the 800m. Just too much ground to make up. Not the greatest ride. But a fine showing by the horse nevertheless.
That's certainly an understatement. I think if any of the top jocks were on board the outcome might have been different. Still quite a run for only its 3rd start.

Class 2 - 1400M (7F)- (100-80) Going : GOOD TO FIRM
WOODPECKER HANDICAP Course : TURF - "C" COURSE
HK$ 1,750,000 ($350,000 US) Time : (13.56) (35.46) (58.24) (1.21.09)
Sectional Time : 13.56 21.90 22.78 22.85
They mentioned after the race that PkStar was 15 lengths back at the head of the stretch! Closed a ton to finish 2nd – 2 ½ lengths back at the wire (Finish time - 1.21.49). I’m looking forward to seeing how it runs at 1600M (8F) and longer.

woodbinepmi
10-17-2016, 12:56 AM
On my speed figures he got a 91.8 for the first 1000 metres then a 111 for the final 400 metres for a final figure of 202.8, which is fast enough to win at Class 2. He is visually impressive, reminds me a lot of Dehere. Hopefully they won't weigh him down too much against more seasoned runners.

The maiden in race 2 (30) on Sunday Jing Jing Win also looked good, but the field he caught was a very weak Class 4. His speed figures were 95.6+105.7=201.3 which makes him competitive in Class 3.

In his race Sunday, his figures came back 92.3+109.1=201.4, while Mr. Bogart's were 100+103.9=203.9. Par for 1400 metres at Class 2 is 201.2.

Nitro
11-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Update:

Pakistan Star will be running again in the 9th Race @ Sha Tin this Sun 11/20/16 (4:15 AM EST)
Up until now all its races have been at 1200M (6F) and 1400M (7F) on the Turf.
This one is at 1600M (8F). I believe this distance (or even longer) will suit its running style very well.

BTW Races 6 thru 10 are all very classy races. It looks like a great card!

chenoa
11-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Current odds 1.4 ($2.80 North American payout)

The pace makers will be going come the top of the stretch. :D

Hope he puts on a good show.

Nitro
11-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Current odds 1.4 ($2.80 North American payout)

The pace makers will be going come the top of the stretch. :D

Hope he puts on a good show.The early line on Pakistan Star is also causing some idiosyncrasies on the lines of the other entries.
If it doesn’t run as anticipated this race will have some big value. For that reason I’ll be watching the pools on the other entries very closely to determine if there will be any others trying to pull an upset.

I’ll be rooting for P.S., but this is horse racing!

steveb
11-20-2016, 02:27 AM
Update:

Pakistan Star will be running again in the 9th Race @ Sha Tin this Sun 11/20/16 (4:15 AM EST)
Up until now all its races have been at 1200M (6F) and 1400M (7F) on the Turf.
This one is at 1600M (8F). I believe this distance (or even longer) will suit its running style very well.

BTW Races 6 thru 10 are all very classy races. It looks like a great card!

i have got it as a $5 chance, albeit the favourite in my model
not that it means much because my hk model is not going that good at the moment, and i have not updated the coefficients for yonkers

but i think it is a fallacy that because of its running style it will be better suited over more ground.
certainly if i was a betting man, i would be happy to bet against it
it's last 400m numbers are astronomical, but would they be the same if it was closer to the pace?

Nitro
11-20-2016, 05:40 AM
i have got it as a $5 chance, albeit the favourite in my model
not that it means much because my hk model is not going that good at the moment, and i have not updated the coefficients for yonkers

but i think it is a fallacy that because of its running style it will be better suited over more ground.
certainly if i was a betting man, i would be happy to bet against it
it's last 400m numbers are astronomical, but would they be the same if it was closer to the pace?Well it looks like your thoughts were correct. Although P.S. once again closed smartly for 2nd losing by 1/2 a length, he may have once again been too far back early on. The race was clocked at 134.02 for the mile, so it was a decent. Unfortunately the early pace was relatively slow with these fractions: (24.32) / (47.72) / (1.11.00)
Not bad for only its 4th start and from what the commentators mentioned its fairly typical for that trainer (A.S. Cruz) to bring them along gradually.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how P.S. develops.

ultracapper
11-20-2016, 06:12 AM
Each quarter faster than the previous. Very difficult for a dead closer to win under those conditions. Sounds as though he's a very interesting horse.

steveb
11-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Each quarter faster than the previous. Very difficult for a dead closer to win under those conditions. Sounds as though he's a very interesting horse.

if you checked, then you would see that is the norm there.
you need to know the best way to pace the race over any particular course, and then figure from there how the individual races/horses fared, measured against that norm.

the race pace in that race was actually a little faster than the norm.
although pakistan star has paced the race the most inefficiently, but that is how they choose to ride it.(i don't believe that the running styles of the majority of horses is anything other than rider/trainer choice.)
the speed of the race was also a little faster than the norm.

Nitro
12-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Update:

Pakistan Star will be running again in the 10th Race @ Sha Tin this morning: Sun 12/11/16 (5:50 AM EST)
This will be its 5th start and is also at 1600M (8F).

It looks like a great card from top to bottom!

chenoa
12-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Last race on the card on International Day.

Horse currently at 1.6, if some of these other big favs come in the all up money could see this go off even lower.

The whole grandstand will be on this.

What better reason to keep him off the board and finish 4th. ;)

Hope I'm wrong.

handyman1968
12-11-2016, 04:08 AM
This upcoming last race on HK International day is full of potential future HK stars. Eagle Way is the Queensland Derby winner and brought over for the HK Derby. Western Express is unbeaten lifetime (Australia and HK) and won at a very unsuitable 6f last start. Lucky Girl was in last year's derby and a legit Class 2 horse.

Basically I rather take the odds of Western Express + Eagle Way against Pakistan Star.

chenoa
12-11-2016, 10:47 AM
As I thought it would.

Chadwick dooped this horse. Any doubt, take a look at head on patrol footage replay of his first win of the season and yesterday. Exact same path the top of the stretch. Chadwick's use of the whip much different yesterday and made sure he was wide and went even wider just before the line to make sure he was a non-factor.

One thing certain, the Star is a very nice race horse.

Expect a dominating performance by Pakistan Star next out to get the HYPE back up in Hong Kong. And I think Chadwick will still be aboard. ;)

ebcorde
12-11-2016, 12:52 PM
you people have to stop listening to those Aussie/Brit Announcers , I feel asleep last night but I'm sure they were touting that loser... AGAIN

News Flash: If those Brits and Aussie woman ("he walks on his toes") likes a Horse, GET OFF IT

cj
12-11-2016, 01:13 PM
He is a bettor's dream, no speed horse that the public loves. :)

rsetup
12-11-2016, 01:21 PM
They crawled early. Horse ran HUGE under the circumstances.

cj
12-11-2016, 01:26 PM
They crawled early. Horse ran HUGE under the circumstances.

Sure, but happens more often than not.

rsetup
12-11-2016, 01:32 PM
Sure, but happens more often than not.

No doubt. But from what I've seen in my limited exploration of HKG racing, the closers have a better shot there. This is probably because they all DRAFT. Strange that the horses over there don't get claustrophobic and don't insist on going wide without cover.

chenoa
12-11-2016, 09:07 PM
you people have to stop listening to those Aussie/Brit Announcers , I feel asleep last night but I'm sure they were touting that loser... AGAIN

News Flash: If those Brits and Aussie woman ("he walks on his toes") likes a Horse, GET OFF IT

They are idiots, I don't know where they get some of their numbers from. It doesn't matter who but have all been like that through out the years.

Money to be made there though, because anything Moreira gets on will be pounded like piss. Just like it was with Douglas Whyte in his glory days.

The fact that Pakistan Star had the 2nd most WIN money on him on the card approx. $3,500,000 CDN is absolutely insane, considering the running style.

Could have made alot of money selling heart pills during that one!! :D

AltonKelsey
12-12-2016, 12:06 AM
Watched the replay. Impossible trip, unless the field would have been very weak .

No pace, and they flew home. Sorry, not possible to win that way no matter who you are. Sub 22 for PS fin 1/4

AltonKelsey
12-12-2016, 12:09 AM
The Japanese 20-1 shot that won, the paddock gal thought to horse was over the top and rank.

Maybe he's always that way , maybe was primed to run giant.

cj
12-26-2016, 07:52 PM
In yet again tonight, 7f, race 3.

chenoa
12-27-2016, 12:42 AM
In yet again tonight, 7f, race 3.

I would have waited one more race before I threw Moreira on him!!

It's only a 7 horse race, even Bravo on wouldn't have kept him from the winners circle!!! :lol: :lol:

AltonKelsey
12-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Horse like that needs a top rider. Not sure of the others guys talent but Moreira a good fit. Still looking a bit green there in the stretch.

HuggingTheRail
01-21-2017, 11:26 PM
In race 9 tonight (Sat night)

cj
01-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Broke well, stayed much closer than usual, faded.

AltonKelsey
01-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Broke well, stayed much closer than usual, faded.

Shocking aint it.

May well not class up to those, but if you want to guarantee a loss, put a deep closer near the pace.

chenoa
01-23-2017, 09:00 PM
It was a lousy ride, 3 wide without cover and close up.

I say throw Chadwick back on him.

AltonKelsey
01-24-2017, 06:12 PM
It was a lousy ride, 3 wide without cover and close up.

I say throw Chadwick back on him.

Take those muffs off, he might levitate.

nancy4487
03-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Rapper Dragon held off the late run of TDN Rising Star Pakistan Star (Ger) (Shamardal) to become the first to sweep all three legs of the 4-Year-Old Series: the Hong Kong Classic Mile, the Hong Kong Classic Cup (1800m) and the Derby.

handyman1968
04-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Pakistan Star races tomorrow night in the QE II Cup. Good bet at 4-1 or better. Rapper Dragon is a good reference point so good chance imo. Money will be on Wether and the Moreira Japanese raider.

Nitro
04-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Pakistan Star races tomorrow night in the QE II Cup. Good bet at 4-1 or better. Rapper Dragon is a good reference point so good chance imo. Money will be on Wether and the Moreira Japanese raider.

I just took a look at this race (#8 tomorrow morning - Sun 4/30) and while I've been watching the development of Pakistan Star, I believe its facing some very good competition in this race. I have to put my feelings aside and say that PS may not even finish in the money. I also predict it'll go off much higher then 4/1! I think it would be big underlay at that price.

I'll be posting selections for this mornings entire card:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2160279#post2160279

chenoa
04-29-2017, 10:56 PM
I couldn't believe when I checked the market this horse was 3.1 a couple hours back.

Tells me, they know, and the money has been put down.

Expecting a monster race out of the STAR!!!:popcorn::popcorn:

Nitro
04-29-2017, 11:39 PM
I couldn't believe when I checked the market this horse was 3.1 a couple hours back.

Tells me, they know, and the money has been put down.

Expecting a monster race out of the STAR!!!:popcorn::popcorn:

That would be nice, but it'll have to run much better than ever before against these!

Odds have already drifted to 3.5/1 Lets see how it goes later.

Nitro
04-30-2017, 02:59 AM
That would be nice, but it'll have to run much better than ever before against these!

Odds have already drifted to 3.5/1 Lets see how it goes later.

Now 3.3/1 @ 3:00 AM EST

handyman1968
04-30-2017, 06:15 AM
No pace and he came out of the gate so good he didn't settle first 2F and still almost ran down the Japanese horse. I rate Rapper Dragon as better than Wether both derby winners. He finished 1.75L behind Rapper Dragon in the Derby and he's still improving. I think Pakistan Star has more upside than Rapper Dragon at 10F imo. Didn't have the odds to bet him to win tonight anyway but the way he ran, cat's out of the bag. Legit G1 horse.

RunForTheRoses
06-25-2017, 01:51 AM
Just turned on the races and PS ran dead last, didn't even run. May have been injured?

SharpCat
06-25-2017, 02:24 AM
Just turned on the races and PS ran dead last, didn't even run. May have been injured?

Reported that Pakistan Star no physical issues he just refused to race. He broke a tad slow then the jockey started to ask him and he just stopped. He did eventually gallop across the line.

SharpCat
06-25-2017, 02:44 AM
Here is the race.

https://youtu.be/xh13507zFMo

RunForTheRoses
06-25-2017, 03:25 AM
Here is the race.

https://youtu.be/xh13507zFMo

I see Moreira got booed extremely in paddock for next race. Was out of the money on another even money shot.

I wish I could be up this late more often, unfortunately waking up early for the 9-5 grind prevents that, Sha Tin and Japan seem real interesting.

RunForTheRoses
06-25-2017, 03:26 AM
I see Moreira got booed extremely in paddock for next race. Was out of the money on another even money shot.

I wish I could be up this late more often, unfortunately waking up early for the 9-5 grind prevents that, Sha Tin and Japan seem real interesting.

*Odds On

Nitro
06-25-2017, 04:10 AM

It's much more than "real interesting". As far as I'm concerned its the best racing product on the planet. Over the last 4 years I've rarely missed a race at both Sha Tin or Happy Valley.

It's definitely worth the effort to stay up in the early morning hours. :ThmbUp:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139233

betovernetcapper
06-25-2017, 10:33 AM

It sounded like hundreds of people yelling at Moreira. It really wasn't his fault. PS has only won 2 or 10 races and seems to have more than his share of quirks. Yesterday he was spooked by some mechanical fans, though how he was aware of them through the hood is a mystery. Were he a 2 year old, you'd think he'd grow out of them, but he's 4! He has some ability, but is no Silent Witness or Able Friend. Amusing that he will have to compete in a trial race before he can race again. :lol:

chenoa
06-25-2017, 10:46 AM
How many heart pills were being popped in the grandstand when STAR just stopped.:lol::lol:

No doubt Joe was lynched in the paddock the next race.

Love the Hong Kong crowd!!:lol::lol:

Can't say their not passionate.

Parkview_Pirate
06-25-2017, 01:28 PM
It sounded like hundreds of people yelling at Moreira. It really wasn't his fault. PS has only won 2 or 10 races and seems to have more than his share of quirks. Yesterday he was spooked by some mechanical fans, though how he was aware of them through the hood is a mystery. Were he a 2 year old, you'd think he'd grow out of them, but he's 4! He has some ability, but is no Silent Witness or Able Friend. Amusing that he will have to compete in a trial race before he can race again. :lol:

Looks like he'll have to perform two trials, one at a mile, before he can race again.

http://www.hkjc.com/english/corporate/racing_news_item.asp?in_file=/english/news/2017-06/news_2017062501457.html&b_cid=EWHPJSE__

Pakistan Star (133lb), runner-up in the BMW Hong Kong Derby, second in the G1 APQEII Cup and sent off the 1.2 favourite this afternoon to seal a first Group race success, decided to bin the script. Soon after the break, the Shamardal gelding raised his blinkered head, shortened his stride, and with only 200 metres of turf traversed, planted his feet.

“He wanted to stop,” said a frustrated Joao Moreira immediately after weighing-in. “I urged him and tried hard to get him running but he just didn't want to go!”

Precisely 59.01 seconds later, Pakistan Star galloped down the home straight and passed the post under Moreira to claim fifth, the Tony Cruz-trained four-year-old having relented to raise his tempo once his opponents had gone beyond catching.

Pakistan Star’s antics were a throwback to his pre-racing days. The brown gelding refused to muster a canter when first he entered the Sha Tin track for a breeze-up before the 2016 Hong Kong International Sale, and required plenty of coaxing on that occasion before he did increase his pace. The Kerm Din-owned rising star had shown no signs of throwing in the towel in his nine previous starts this term.

Before he can race again, the Stipendiary Stewards will require the gelding to pass two consecutive satisfactory barrier trials, one of which must be contested over 1600m of the Sha Tin turf course.

Hong Kong racing is very formful, and relatively free of shenanigans, and the crowd often gets "excited" when the chalk fails to fire. To have a 1/5 shot come out running, then stop after a furlong without being injured, is quite unusual. The announcer mentioned he'd never seen anything like it, and I can't recall a similar occurrence in 30+ years of playing the ponies.

nancy4487
06-25-2017, 07:46 PM
Saw the video clip on Twitter of Pakistan Star's attitude and refusal.
Never saw that in a race before....although my friend's jumper went in the ring at a show today and decided, "Nope, I don't want to do this today" and stood still. I can relate, my TB also acts like a brat some days!

woodbinepmi
10-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Well, he did it again in a barrier trial. About a 100 metres out of the gate took a nice little leap and then just stopped running.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/racing/article/2113822/can-you-explain-jockey-joao-moreira-and-trainer-tony-cruz-summoned

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/btresult.asp?date=03/10/2017&batchNo=8#b8

nancy4487
04-29-2018, 07:21 AM
The career of Pakistan Star has been one twist after another, but he prevails on the biggest stage today as he takes the #QEIICup by a big margin for William Buick and Tony Cruz. Gold Mount second, Eagle Way third in a 1-2-3 for Hong Kong
https://twitter.com/HKJC_Racing/status/990516823740186624

cj
04-29-2018, 01:49 PM
That was impressive last night. When he was tucked on the rail close up in the 3rd, I thought it was over...nobody is out-kicking him from that position in the lane

woodbinepmi
04-29-2018, 01:55 PM
It seems he only stops when he's trailing the pack, they rushed him a lot more into the race out of the gate last night, so I guess the trick is keep him surrounded by others and not give him the opportunity to stop running.

chenoa
04-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Powerful performace, fabulous race. Ranks right up there with the Bullish Luck/Silent Witness race.

William Buick is the man. Not bad for a guy who has never been on the horse's back. Would never let Moreira or Chadwick back on the horse if I was Kerm.

Nitro
04-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Pakistan Star certainly ran the best race of its career beating some quality animals and winning by daylight in just over 2:00 for 2000M (1 1/4 Mi). Its big surge taking the lead in the final ¼ was something that the connections had been looking to see for quite a while. Even the crowd reacted with a huge roar of approval after the race.

But from a bettor’s perspective was the Quinella payout! Taking my top 3 selections (posted) and boxing them with the bottom 2 (a base $20 wager) resulted in a generous $136.00 US$ return because Gold Mount (@ 34/1) finished 2nd !!! (My best score of the morning :ThmbUp:).

VigorsTheGrey
04-30-2018, 12:40 AM
Great performance...interesting he was up close to the pace uncharacteristically, and had plenty left to draw away late...a real tactics change for sure, looks almost like a new runner...

Frost king
04-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Great performance...interesting he was up close to the pace uncharacteristically, and had plenty left to draw away late...a real tactics change for sure, looks almost like a new runner...

And he broke from the gate clean for once.

AltonKelsey
04-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Pakistan Star certainly ran the best race of its career beating some quality animals and winning by daylight in just over 2:00 for 2000M (1 1/4 Mi). Its big surge taking the lead in the final ¼ was something that the connections had been looking to see for quite a while. Even the crowd reacted with a huge roar of approval after the race.

But from a bettor’s perspective was the Quinella payout! Taking my top 3 selections (posted) and boxing them with the bottom 2 (a base $20 wager) resulted in a generous $136.00 US$ return because Gold Mount (@ 34/1) finished 2nd !!! (My best score of the morning :ThmbUp:).

You're the best.

nancy4487
07-13-2018, 09:24 AM
HKJC Racing

Verified account

@HKJC_Racing
Following Following @HKJC_Racing
More
Hong Kong's Champion Stayer for the 2017/18 season is PAKISTAN STAR, who won the G1 Standard Chartered Champions & Chater Cup (2400m) as well as the G1 #APQEII Cup (2000m) #HKRacing