PDA

View Full Version : Winter racing & the Ortiz brothers

SG4
09-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Dreary day here in the NY area, made my mind fast forward a few months to the dreariest of times, the Aqueduct winter meet. So with Irad & Jose really establishing themselves this year as the elite (or at least among the elite) riders on the circuit, do they continue staying in NY full time, or does one or both go test the waters at Gulfstream for the entire winter? With Irad emerging as Chad Brown's go-to guy, I have to think there's a really strong lure for him to go down this year.

Dominguez was a real exception to the rule for such a top jock to stay in NY during the winter months, either Ortiz brother would be the highest profile rider to stick around since him if they chose, and it would probably be easy pickings at pretty nice purses if they don't mind the cold.

And of course I think it goes without saying that it would be of particular interest to certain posters here to see what an inner track meet would look like without both Ortiz brothers involved, would it make for a different view on how the races are being run?

Anyone with any foresight or thoughts on what their plans might be?

cj
09-19-2016, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't leave. They can fly to Florida when needed.

pele polo
09-19-2016, 06:22 PM
It's been interesting playing Belmont the first couple weeks with the Ortiz brothers serving the suspensions and then be out of town on the weekend. They left enough on the table to even let Karmouche have a two win day.

v j stauffer
09-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Once you become leading rider on a premier circuit it becomes about winning Derby's and BC's.

I would advise my rider to never go longer than 18 consecutive minutes without physically seeing Chad Brown and Todd Pletcher.

cj
09-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Once you become leading rider on a premier circuit it becomes about winning Derby's and BC's.

I would advise my rider to never go longer than 18 consecutive minutes without physically seeing Chad Brown and Todd Pletcher.

Those guys make a lot of money staying in New York. I guess it depends on what their goals are. I would stay where I am. Going to Florida is no guarantee of any Derby or BC wins, especially the Derby when it comes to Pletcher and Brown.

pele polo
09-19-2016, 06:37 PM

What's so great about their run at Saratoga and Belmont is that they don't have first call for Pletcher or Brown and still manage to do the damage they do.

I really thought Rosario would take off at the beginning of the Belmont meet with the absence of the brothers but instead it was Luis Saez.

v j stauffer
09-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Those guys make a lot of money staying in New York. I guess it depends on what their goals are. I would stay where I am. Going to Florida is no guarantee of any Derby or BC wins, especially the Derby when it comes to Pletcher and Brown.

Derby winners tend to go to Florida. I would follow that avenue.

At this point I think money becomes somewhat relative.

They will make STACKS no matter where they ride.

And needless to say Miami is a dam sight nicer that Ozone Park!

jk3521
09-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Irad even made a trip late last year to win a small stakes at Mahoning Valley for Larry Rivelli.

EMD4ME
09-19-2016, 06:51 PM
I hope they both go to Florida, do well there and love it.

I wouldn't mind a colony without them for 3-4 months :jump:

I also think Manny Franco is talented enough to join them! He should shop for a derby mount as well!

v j stauffer
09-19-2016, 06:54 PM
What's so great about their run at Saratoga and Belmont is that they don't have first call for Pletcher or Brown and still manage to do the damage they do.

I really thought Rosario would take off at the beginning of the Belmont meet with the absence of the brothers but instead it was Luis Saez.

It's tough for Rosario to consistently stand the test of time with one barn because he makes lot's of mistakes.

He's like a guy who hits 47 bombs but strikes out 200 times while hitting .247.

When it goes perfect there in NOBODY better. But it doesn't go perfect often enough to remain a year round go to guy.

EMD4ME
09-19-2016, 06:56 PM
It's tough for Rosario to consistently stand the test of time with one barn because he makes lot's of mistakes.

When it goes perfect there in NOBODY better. But it doesn't go perfect often enough to remain a year round go to guy.

You have a sharp eye, what do you attribute that to?

cj
09-19-2016, 07:06 PM

He'd fit in perfectly with the Orioles.

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I like the Ortiz brothers staying in New York since I am a spot player I profit on the occasional race where my selection is double digits because the public over bets the Ortiz's. There gold in some races!!

v j stauffer
09-19-2016, 07:12 PM
You have a sharp eye, what do you attribute that to?

If I had to point to one reason he doesn't save ground often enough to be considered a Superstar rider.

Bailey, Gomez, Stevens, Krone, won races with perfect tactics. Joel has such a caveman's club with his ability to out finish anybody on the planet he doesn't ride enough of a tactical race.

In the 28 months I worked for him he only got really mad at me once. We were sitting in the kitchen during the break one morning at Santa Anita.

I said to him. Anytime you're riding in a turf route passing the 1/2 mile pole ask yourself the following question. " What's would Garrett Gomez do right now?"

" FU Vic. I outride him any day" I said right. But now you have to out think him. :rolleyes:

EMD4ME
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
If I had to point to one reason he doesn't save ground often enough to be considered a Superstar rider.

Bailey, Gomez, Stevens, Krone, won races with perfect tactics. Joel has such a caveman's club with his ability to out finish anybody on the planet he doesn't ride enough of a tactical race.

In the 28 months I worked for him he only got really mad at me once. We were sitting in the kitchen during the break one morning at Santa Anita.

I said to him. Anytime you're riding in a turf route passing the 1/2 mile pole ask yourself the following question. " What's would Garrett Gomez do right now?"

" FU Vic. I outride him any day" I said right. But now you have to out think him. :rolleyes:

I mean this totally sincerely......Like for blanken real:

SHARP THOUGHT AND SHARP POST!!!

SuperPickle
09-19-2016, 09:16 PM
I think the other point no one is making is winter racing in NY is better than it used to be. Not only are the purses good and you can make money but better horses are being left behind in NY. Certainly not to the degree of FL but there's legit stakes horses and decent three year olds being left behind.

My hunch is you'll see them down there on a lot of weekends and you'll see combing for 6-7 wins on most Thursdays and Fridays in New York.

thespaah
09-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Dunno....Life near Jamaica Bay in the dead of winter is pretty miserable.
When the wind direction is off the water, it is cold, damp, cloudy and low down depressing.

thespaah
09-19-2016, 09:36 PM

He is the Modern Day Dave Kingman of jockeys...It's either a "Clout" or an "out"....

chenoa
09-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Dunno....Life near Jamaica Bay in the dead of winter is pretty miserable.
When the wind direction is off the water, it is cold, damp, cloudy and low down depressing.

Take away the damp but keep the cold, cloudy and low down depressing and you just described my ex. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EMD4ME
09-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Take away the damp but keep the cold, cloudy and low down depressing and you just described my ex. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is she from Ozone Park? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Garyinseattle
09-20-2016, 11:20 PM

Taking shots at your former guy Rosario? Don't be a hater just because the guy had huge success after he parted ways with you. That's weak man.