PDA

View Full Version : Battle at Bristol

GaryG
09-10-2016, 07:38 AM
More than two years in the planning, Tennessee plays Virginia Tech in Bristol Motor Stadium. The expected crowd is something over 150K. State Street has been one big party all week. I made the mistake of trying to drive through Bristol yesterday. Big mistake, it was a Chinese fire drill with wall to wall traffic and motor homes arriving and hoping to find a space in the campgrounds. The field looks like a postage stamp inside that place. The field stays in place until next week when ETSU plays Western Carolina there. The crowd will be somewhat smaller.

JustRalph
09-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Did they take down the big screen? I would think it would be tough to punt with that thing up

barahona44
09-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Are the referees going to wave a checkered flag after a touchdown? :)

JustRalph
09-10-2016, 09:10 AM
If you've never been there, try to see it some day. It's an incredible venue. I'm surprised they weren't playing football there before this

Inner Dirt
09-10-2016, 09:40 AM
If you've never been there, try to see it some day. It's an incredible venue. I'm surprised they weren't playing football there before this

It is about 300 miles from me an I am a huge Nascar fan are there any sections to avoid as far as view is concerned? Some reason those "View from this seat" apps don't work lately on my computer. I also wonder how does a bull ring handle 160,000+? I remember at California Speedway (2 mile track with full infield) taking leaks and getting food and drink could take up a lot of time and just getting in and out of the general area took 90 minutes each way and that place is in a sparse industrial area.

JustRalph
09-10-2016, 10:05 AM
It is about 300 miles from me an I am a huge Nascar fan are there any sections to avoid as far as view is concerned? Some reason those "View from this seat" apps don't work lately on my computer. I also wonder how does a bull ring handle 160,000+? I remember at California Speedway (2 mile track with full infield) taking leaks and getting food and drink could take up a lot of time and just getting in and out of the general area took 90 minutes each way and that place is in a sparse industrial area.

The traffic isn't as bad at Bristol but it can be a while if you don't go early or wait a while. We usually wait. The way they put 160k in there is this. If you have really high seats, you are going to walk up stairs for what is probably 8 stories in a building. It's a bowl with stadium seating that is high as hell. I try not to leave my seat once I get there. Take a cooler. I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. Just some higher than others. Plus they have added the Jumbotron.

http://www.kbetcher.com/images/the%20journey/Bristolair.JPG

GaryG
09-10-2016, 10:06 AM
It is about 300 miles from me an I am a huge Nascar fan are there any sections to avoid as far as view is concerned? Some reason those "View from this seat" apps don't work lately on my computer. I also wonder how does a bull ring handle 160,000+? I remember at California Speedway (2 mile track with full infield) taking leaks and getting food and drink could take up a lot of time and just getting in and out of the general area took 90 minutes each way and that place is in a sparse industrial area.You can see races from anywhere because the stands are close to the track and it is small enough to see the whole race. For football though, that field looked tiny in the middle of the stadium. It is south of Bristol with easy access to I-81 via 394.

Inner Dirt
09-10-2016, 10:26 AM
The traffic isn't as bad at Bristol but it can be a while if you don't go early or wait a while. We usually wait. The way they put 160k in there is this. If you have really high seats, you are going to walk up stairs for what is probably 8 stories in a building. It's a bowl with stadium seating that is high as hell. I try not to leave my seat once I get there. Take a cooler. I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. Just some higher than others. Plus they have added the Jumbotron.

http://www.kbetcher.com/images/the%20journey/Bristolair.JPG

Thanks, I will log that in my not so good memory. Due to a spinal cord injury I have very weak legs for my size and I can make it up 3 stories of stairs max at a time and that is with using the hand rail to pull myself up. Will definitely remember to get seats on a row close to the tunnels when I go.

GaryG
09-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Take a cooler. I don't think there is a bad seat in the house. Just some higher than others. Plus they have added the Jumbotron.Special rules today....NO coolers or large purses, clutch purses only and no re-admissions. A lot of women are going to arrive with big purses. That is really dumb, jut look inside to make sure there is no beer or shine.

cj
09-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Special rules today....NO coolers or large purses, clutch purses only and no re-admissions. A lot of women are going to arrive with big purses. That is really dumb, jut look inside to make sure there is no beer or shine.

Or just don't bring big purses?