PDA

View Full Version : Emergency planning

JustRalph
09-09-2016, 08:07 PM
It's just hours before the 9-11 anniversary. Good time to think ahead. Go over it with family

This year it's a Sunday. A non work day for most. That's a good thing. Families won't be separated.

I urge everyone to take the next 24 hours to go over your emergency planning with your family. A few items to remember.

Rallying point:
Where will your family meet and how do they get there "without transportation"
This includes closed roads and vehicles that won't run etc. You may not have a car nor may you have safe passage via roads. How far can you walk safely and what if you can't? Make a plan.

Alternate Rallying point:
In case your original point is unreachable. Where are you going ( close relative, friends etc) and how do you get there? Make a plan.

Shelter in place: Is this a better option than moving to a rally point? If so, make a plan. Food, water, protection for a few days at least

Communications: cell phones probably won't work. We have lots of data to show the networks become overloaded. Remember, texting and 2G 3G work on different networks. Some may work when others won't. Trying multiple apps etc, could be valuable. Just because the voice portion isn't working, your apps might. Download them now. *****Don't forget extra batteries. Portable radios are very very cheap nowadays.

Carry extra provisions on 9-11 and April 19th. Carry that extra big bag for a day or so. Water and small food stuffs are important and extra ammo if so inclined.
Think about the looting we have witnessed here in the United States. Once it starts, you need to shelter until it's over. If you are not at home, you may have to hide for a few days. Consider what happen in Katrina. You are surrounded by looters with no avenue of escape. Where do you hide? If you are at home it's an easy question, if at work? Where? Is work safe? If its retail or near it, probably not once looting begins.

Do you know what to do if chemicals are released? Radiation? Electromagnetic pulse? These are far extreme scenarios. But you have the Internet. You can find out what to do in a few minutes ........get to it

jk3521
09-09-2016, 09:11 PM
It's just hours before the 9-11 anniversary. Good time to think ahead. Go over it with family

This year it's a Sunday. A non work day for most. That's a good thing. Families won't be separated.

I urge everyone to take the next 24 hours to go over your emergency planning with your family. A few items to remember.

Rallying point:
This includes closed roads and vehicles that won't run etc. You may not have a car nor may you have safe passage via roads. How far can you walk safely and what if you can't? Make a plan.

In case your original point is unreachable. Where are you going ( close relative, friends etc) and how do you get there? Make a plan.

Shelter in place: Is this a better option than moving to a rally point? If so, make a plan. Food, water, protection for a few days at least

Communications: cell phones probably won't work. We have lots of data to show the networks become overloaded. Remember, texting and 2G 3G work on different networks. Some may work when others won't. Trying multiple apps etc, could be valuable. Just because the voice portion isn't working, your apps might. Download them now. *****Don't forget extra batteries. Portable radios are very very cheap nowadays.

Carry extra provisions on 9-11 and April 19th. Carry that extra big bag for a day or so. Water and small food stuffs are important and extra ammo if so inclined.
Think about the looting we have witnessed here in the United States. Once it starts, you need to shelter until it's over. If you are not at home, you may have to hide for a few days. Consider what happen in Katrina. You are surrounded by looters with no avenue of escape. Where do you hide? If you are at home it's an easy question, if at work? Where? Is work safe? If its retail or near it, probably not once looting begins.

Do you know what to do if chemicals are released? Radiation? Electromagnetic pulse? These are far extreme scenarios. But you have the Internet. You can find out what to do in a few minutes ........get to it

Brings back memories of this...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/11/emergency.supplies/

horses4courses
09-09-2016, 09:23 PM

Rallying point:

Really??? :faint:

Mechanic
09-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Shit happens every day! just not to you, lucky you, hope your bubble is big enough for that swollen head of yours!
:bang:

Rise Over Run
09-09-2016, 10:07 PM

I thought the preparation described in JRs post was spot on. "If there’s even one thing we can do, if there’s just one life we can save—we've got an obligation to try.”

JustRalph
09-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Shit happens every day! just not to you, lucky you, hope your bubble is big enough for that swollen head of yours!
:bang:

And just who the **** are you? Do the letters FO mean anything to you?

Interesting reaction.......

JustRalph
09-09-2016, 10:47 PM
I thought the preparation described in JRs post was spot on. "If there’s even one thing we can do, if there’s just one life we can save—we've got an obligation to try.”

Very funny.......last sentence.

chadk66
09-10-2016, 08:52 AM
I'm going to polish my AR in remembrance.

Tom
09-10-2016, 09:56 AM
I am taking up a collection to get enough money to send horsey to Ground Zero for the weekend.

Just our way showing him how much we really care about him,.....

Any takers?

Racetrack Playa
09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Frankie Mac says BE PREPARED :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9u83yN5Yp0

Mechanic
09-10-2016, 01:16 PM
And just who the **** are you? Do the letters FO mean anything to you?

Interesting reaction.......

Not directed at you Sir, I agree with your post, I agree with most all your post's :ThmbUp:

it is horsey that drives me :bang:

woodtoo
09-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Not directed at you Sir, I agree with your post, I agree with most all your post's :ThmbUp:

Its what sets him apart around here, best to have a helmet or a nerf brick handy.

JustRalph
09-10-2016, 01:22 PM

Ok, great! Sometimes it's hard to tell ........I retract my previous and apologize.

Thanks 👍

Not sure what horsey doesn't get ......but that's a daily thing around here

Tom
09-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Not sure what horsey doesn't get ......but that's a daily thing around here

Someday, medical science will find a cure.
Then they will spray for it.

NJ Stinks
09-11-2016, 11:08 AM

I'm with you, Horses4courses. :ThmbUp:

Here's a paste from an article I read this morning - it sums up the threat of terrorism in the USA well.

In cold statistics, terrorism is not a significant threat to the health and safety of Americans.

From 1970 through 2014, 3,305 Americans were killed by terrorism in the U.S. When deaths from 9/11 are eliminated, the number falls to 397. Since 9/11, the odds of an American being killed by terrorism are roughly 110 million to 1.

To put these numbers in context, consider that well over 30,000 Americans die every year from car accidents. About 50 people die every year from lightning strikes. Every day, 20 vets commit suicide, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For political reasons, we have started to label some atrocities as terrorism that previously would have been called mass murders, such as the killings this year in San Bernardino, California, and Orlando, Florida. Every possible terrorist threat and action get the full attention of our media and politicians. Not so other ways of dying. Since 2001, there have been 7,916 homicides in Chicago alone. Fears and threats are subjective things, influenced by culture and politics, for good and bad purposes.

Like no other presidential candidate, Trump has poured gasoline on the fears of many Americans — fears about terrorism, immigrants, the changing look of America, crime, globalization and making ends meet.

link to full article: http://www.naplesnews.com/story/opinion/2016/09/11/dick-meyer-years-later-trump-plays-darkest-fears/90126746/

JustRalph
09-11-2016, 11:20 AM
As I listened to the director of homeland security being interviewed this morning live from the 9-11 ceremony I was surprised to hear him say that a dirty bomb or like event is still something he fears.

He didn't say anything about car accidents.........

chrisl
09-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Horsey and NJ, are so stunningly entertaining, with there intelligence. Beyond amazing. Makes my day. They reassure me, that I am on top of the ladder looking down on them.

PhantomOnTour
09-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Horsey and NJ, are so stunningly entertaining, with there intelligence. Beyond amazing. Makes my day. They reassure me, that I am on top of the ladder looking down on them.
You used the wrong word while trying to insult the intelligence of someone else.
...it's THEIR, not THERE.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

horses4courses
09-11-2016, 12:07 PM
You used the wrong word while trying to insult the intelligence of someone else.
...it's THEIR, not THERE.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey.....he needs that false sense of superiority.
Grammar and spelling be damned......... :rolleyes:

horses4courses
09-11-2016, 12:16 PM
I live where there is a constant threat of wildfire
for close to six months of the year.

We are always ready to be out of the house
within minutes - humans, pets, documents, etc..
Done it before and, luckily, the fire was controlled.

Compare that to Armageddon.
If this part of the world is destroyed in an attack,
I doubt life would be worth living, anyway.

Run around the wasteland like Mad Max?
I'd rather be dead.

burnsy
09-11-2016, 12:40 PM

On top of what ladder.....the freaking monkey bars? Those two are the only ones that make sense in this thread. Chances are proven by every statistic known to man that if you get murdered, it will be someone you know or a criminal......that's just fact. A fact Americans blindly ignore and listen to the Govt. and Media. You may get hit by lightning before you are involved in a terrorist attack. The other thing is these Doomsday preppers crack me up.......most of them weigh 400 pounds and would not make it past dinner time....but somehow they love dehydrated crap they stock their basement with....let alone the fact if its that bad and you die, what are you really missing out on anyway? Gee, Armageddon, what a hoot! Its like the French Rivera.

Being the non political, government, cynic I am. If this happens most Americans will literally shit their pants. Somewhere we have become so soft that we think this freaking world is a Utopia..........somehow even those that claim to be Christians believe this. As if slaughter and mayhem is some kind of "new thing". Its the smart people that realize this is the world, its not always some Shangri-La. People have been massacring each other since almost day one. Its all there in writing if people picked up a book once in a while and shut that boob tube off. The war on terror is the biggest sham going right now. Terror and the world go hand and hand, its eternal. This what we were told in the Navy, you hear the "whistle" of a nuclear depth charge or missile coming your way....put your head between you legs and kiss your ass goodbye......why? Because that's reality and that's how this world has worked since man arrived. Get off your high, horse ladder and smell coffee .....genius.

RunForTheRoses
09-11-2016, 02:30 PM
I think the biggest reason to be prepared is not terrorism but when the EBT Cards stop working. Then Shit will really hit the fan.

Tom
09-11-2016, 04:29 PM
We have more to fear from BLM than from ISIS or Al Qeda.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2016, 04:31 PM
I live where there is a constant threat of wildfire
for close to six months of the year.

We are always ready to be out of the house
within minutes - humans, pets, documents, etc..
Done it before and, luckily, the fire was controlled.

Compare that to Armageddon.
If this part of the world is destroyed in an attack,
I doubt life would be worth living, anyway.

Run around the wasteland like Mad Max?
I'd rather be dead.Being struck by a life altering hurricane is pretty much a longshot, once in a lifetime event at best...however, we see plenty of public service announcements not to mention the NWS constantly reminding us to be prepared and have a plan every hurricane season.

Only you and those like you would go after Ralph for this for political purposes when in fact it's only common sense.