PDA

View Full Version : Database Dilemma

Gunshy
07-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Following the generous advice from members of this board, I gave up looking for the "best" software and have instead been looking for a “good deal” on software that's “right for me”. I have studied the threads on this board and visited the websites where the software is offered. Below is a brief summary of what I've learned, but first the DATABASE DILEMMA –

The first criterion was to find software that I can start using quickly with internal selection criteria that produce positive ROI. The second criterion was I wanted software that comes with a database that either: 1.) has an internal modeling and testing function that I could use to build and test my own stuff; OR 2.) has a database that I could export for modeling and testing; AND I wanted the database to be large enough to have reasonable confidence in the statistical validity of the results.

Much to my disappointment, the systems which can export data or have functions to build and test models, have only 6 weeks of data or less! (Allways, HSH, HTR, TB5). The systems which have larger databases do not export the data, or do not have functions for building or testing your own handicapping models! (EquiSim, Power On-Line, A+)

SUMMARY:
Allways Pro does it all, but it is one of the most expensive $695 and the cost of its Bris data files seems prohibitively expensive for a beginner software user like me, $7 per card with a minimum purchase of $100 per month. Always has free software versions with fewer features, but the data cost is the same as Pro.

HSH gets high marks from users on this board, but it is the second most expensive software $599 (although it did sell for $525 on ebay last week) plus $139 per mo for HDW data. Other than the expense, the main criticism appears to be it has a high learning-curve.

HTR – One of the best of the “free” softwares (with $119 per mo HDW data subscription). Well supported on this board. It has a limited modeling function and data can be exported but only comes with 6 weeks of data. I plan to give it a try-out later this month when it gives three days of free current race card data.

TB5 has been praised by some on this board (where is Jaguar, by the way?) and it’s free with the purchase of 3 months data subscription ($100 per month = $300 to start). I received several days of output but couldn’t make heads or tails without having documentation to explain it. Other systems seem to be better documented and supported, and TB5 hasn’t been upgraded for some time (the late 90’s?).

EquiSim is the most popular software on this board, according to the most recent software user poll, and is inexpensive at $179 (credit card), $161 (check). Data is very reasonable if you use TSN ProCaps advantage plan at 59.95 for unlimited data files. Comes with a large Profiler database but the data can’t be exported. Limited modeling and testing capabilities. There is a free demo so I plan to check it out.

Power Online also uses ProCaps but is more expensive on special at $450 (regularly $495). It appears to be the “best” out-of-the-box expert system with 22 angles and methods evaluated for every race. It’s developer documented an extensive demonstration of it’s “best” picks in real-time on this board earlier this spring. Under the circumstances the test was fairly impressive. From March 25th thru May 12th: 500 plays - 158 win (32% winners) with an ROI of +11%. Power On-line comes with data for 2004 for tweaking its 22 angles, but it does not export data and has no modeling or testing functions other than tracking its own angles.

A+ another expert system with a recent upgrade that is well-regarded on this board which can use the ProCaps data. Currently, the main system is on sale for $240 (regularly $280), and if you want Tracker, the database which keeps track of what’s working best, its $99 (regularly $125).

All-In-One seems expensive ($595 + $100 per mo for HDW data) when compared to more fully featured software. It’s strength seems to be ease of use.

Speculator is the best currently available Sartin/Pace program I’ve found, fairly inexpensive $250, uses Track Master PP ($79.95 unlimited per mo). But you have to devote yourself to the Sartin and Pace methodologies to use it effectively.

There are a number of other systems and softwares available, ranging from free to $600-$700, but due to time constraints I limited myself to what seemed popular on this board.

CONCLUSION:
Right now, with my budget, I am leaning toward Power Online or Equisim for out of the box handicapping help, or HTR for database management, modeling and testing. Unfortunately, the former use ProCaps and the latter uses HDW. But if I could overcome the database dilemma, I would prefer one software that would do both, or two softwares that use the same data files!

Your comments or suggestions are welcomed.

CapperLou
07-27-2004, 07:47 PM
You and I are wearing the same shoes in a sense!!! If I could only use the database of HTR with Equisim---wow!!!

I have experimented with TB5 and had great results (last summer at Arlington & Ellis Park---then it went south early fall once ELP closed etc. The problem there is support and how you fine tune the program. I respect it.

Some of the smart guys on this board keep talking about Equisim to me and I'm going to give it a trial--like yourself!!

But what I really want is to use one set of files for HTR database with one of the two above--cannot do.

Last year when I contacted HTR with some complex questions, I was told about the "long" learning curve etc. etc.--felt like I got a brush off. A few of the guys who use HTR seem to be very closed mouth about it and want to keep it to themselves--do not think they want a lot of users--IMO--no offense intended.

And Jaguar--my buddy??!!--he was supposed to come to Florida for Gulfstream, but had some challenges this past spring and did not make it. He sent me a new email address and has vanished from this board!!! He knows a lot about all of the software you mentioned and thinks VERY highly of Equisim and TB5.

When you find the answer to combining a database with Equisim or TB5----let me know--then I'll be able to do much better and will do it much easier and much faster!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

Yes; without that database--it's very tedious finding those "spot plays" for which I'm respected amongst those who know me!!

PaceAdvantage
07-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Jaguar contacted me via e-mail and said he had a computer crash and was just getting back to the board (this was about a month ago)....haven't heard from him since....

charleslanger
07-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Gunshy: (btw HSH is 129, not 139)

If i may offer my humble thoughts:

Software vendors of complex programs not so much give brushoffs-- as want to gauge the following prospective buyers's characteristics:

Sticktoitiveness, self-motivation, seriousness, openness to new ideas-- not just for the software, but for maintaining your pc & upgrading it if/as necessary, seriousness/commitment.

I do general tech support, and from what i see regularly, one person alone could swamp a software vendor with help requests, whose symptoms/causes originate outside the software.

Firstly, to 'have fun' with databases, neural nets, etc. a top of the line system is needed(good news: a new such system can be had for a song--
whoever can't spend $2-400 dollars to get one, instead insisting on using what they have presently, not only is not serious at all, but worse: is wasting the time of everyone he deals with. I can't tell you how many people still have windows 95, pentium 1 or 2, etc. and refuse to spend a few dollars to move up.
This is not to insult those on a budget, or who wish to use a simple program instead: just that whoever wants to win major car races can't do it with a Yugo-- has to invest some money...

And this computer should be dedicated alone to this program-- don't expect to have two live racetrack feeds going, some music playing, email open, PP viewer open, and the program running-- add to this all the background junk running from all the extra programs each peripheral manufacturer & many software vendors install to run continuously...

next is which processor, OS(and it ain't XP), hard drives(types & how many, partitions / the way an os and its parts are spread out / a bunch of tweaks in bios and os system /

With all the preceding advice followed / not followed-- an identical query/job/process running side-by-side on brand-spanking new systems could take either 2-3 minutes or 30-45 minutes.

Secondly, and the real fun part-- most users' computers are infected with junk from cruising the web-- and they have no idea. More than half of the queries we receive because peripherals or programs don't work / refuse to install-- can be traced back to malware: the type of malware that anti-virus & firewalls don't catch.

Even worse is some users' attitudes: they won't apply the fixes suggested-- and instead days later will begin a new query... Did you take my recommended steps? Yes, and I still have a problem. Any new ideas? After you go 'round with them again you discover they did next to nothing: I was busy/tired/afraid, i didn't like the look of the site you sent me too, I went there but couldn't find the file for download, my friend told me i shouldn't apply that fix you gave me.........

Someone like this will buy a program and not even be able to install it-- then spend days with a vendor looking for a fix.....& may ultimately give up and thrash him all over the web... (And no, i am not referring to any past threads here, i only speak to what i have personal knowledge of-- I don't get involved in others' business....)

.FYI re HSH the learning curve is only for some modules-- it's really several programs in one: right out of the box you can do pace handicapping,
and better still-- run the Pickmaster module that gives you picks to start betting right away: there're a couple of things i do that you can use to recoup your costs quickly-- i can show you, the videos can show you, the friendly guys on the bbs can show you... Then there are neural modules, database queries, etc. that you'll learn how to run in some of the ways suggested or in your own way come up with different methods: of course these will take time, but there are plenty of detailed training / systems videos & the users are very helpful and unselfish.

Whatever type of bettor one is: longshot, exotics only, win dutcher, show parlayer, etc. this program has specific areas(all addressed in the videos BTW) re not only finding these, but on how to bet them also...... There is something for just about everyone here.....

If interested i can post the specific tech recommends-- they're substantial........

If you(or anyone else here on Pace) are serious about all i've stated here and are interested in HSH-- i will commit to anything to get you started: from buying and tweaking computer, to doing a couple of things to recoup your initial costs(in spite of my somewhat limited handiness with it: I used the program for awhile, but have been away for 2 years and just returned to learn the new additions--) It will involve some hard work & commitment on the buyer's part.

God bless our great country, and good luck in all your endeavors.

hurrikane
07-28-2004, 08:22 AM
Lou,

I"m surprised by your comments about HTR. I've been with them for 4 yrs now and from the 1st day I have never had anything but quick, complete responses. Everyone I have met is ready willing and able to help.

If you have any questions about HTR let me know. I'll be glad to answer and if I don't know the answer Ken will.

Have you talked to Ken by the way? I've never heard anyone say he was closed mouth about anything. :D

Hope to see you Vegas in Oct.

Tom
07-28-2004, 08:49 AM
It is hard to discuss HTR on this board because most people do not use it and many of the ratings in it would be of no interest to someone with no access to them. In other words, it would be boring to talk in anyhting but general terms.
But same offer, feel free to quiz me-I will try to anwer anything you need to know as well.

CapperLou
07-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Perhaps closed mouth is the wrong way to describe my experience last year. I did speak to Ken very briefly at your(hurricane) suggestion, but he was out of town and we emailed if I remember correctly.

I was told there was a long learning curve with access database and just felt that some of my questions were not answered to my satisfaction. For example--as to how to use it out of box--I would have to experiment and find out myself--it is not a black box--well; I know that!!!! But, there are ways to use it initially and nothing was ever mentioned to me--and--I got bad vibes and did not pursue it. I know it is a good program--but I always trust my instincts and they told me to forget it. That's when I went to TB5 and did very very well last summer and then it ran into a tough period at new york after saratoga.

I like the way you are able to use the database to pull plays each day that are working well---that's what I wanted to be able to do with the software, but nothing is perfect in this world.

Also---as stated before, if I could see actual results from racecomm--I would be the next in line to purchase it.

Meanwhile, I'm using the same methods that have made me profitable for years on a spot play basis.

All the best,

CapperLou

P.S. hurricane--I recently sent you an email or pm thru the board, but never heard back from you--did you get it? I'm heading out to Vegas in a couple of weeks--then to Del Mar.

Tom
07-28-2004, 08:28 PM
You can use HTR and never, ever come close to Access, or any data base. There is an export feature, but the program itself is ready to go-all you need is one race card and off to the races.
If you decide to use the export function, it spits out a defined comma deliminated file ( several, actually) and from there on out, you are in Access territory, not HTR.
You can even use the export feature and still not ever come near Acces - you can open any of the export files with a spreadsheet as well,

hurrikane
07-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Hey Lou...as long as you are winning. That's what counts.

As for out of the box HTR. The confusion is probably that no 2 people use it the same.

For example. Some people use pace. It is an excellent pace program with supurb figures. Not hard to figure as Massa was one of the original Brohammer brains.

You can use sheets. Has an excellent sheet/form screens.

You can export to a db and do spot plays. This is what I do.

You can just play longshots...great for tournies.

It now has functionality to pull spot plays based on your criteria without useing a db.

But the main thing is you are winning.

PaceAdvantage
07-30-2004, 02:17 AM
Did someone send me an e-mail with the words "Database Dilemma" as the title? If so, I mistakenly deleted the e-mail before I read it.....so whoever sent it, please send again....

charleslanger
07-30-2004, 02:46 AM
ok-- who was the snitch? The Punk-err Puff Daddy?