PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Monday, September 5

Teach
09-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Race One:

:5: American Creed is my upset pick in this lower-level claiming sprint. What catches my eye is a race, downstate, in late-May, at Belmont. In that one, this Fappiano-bred drilled six panels in 1:08.4. 1:08.4! (I remember, 50 years ago, when Willie Mayorga set a Suffolk Downs 6-panels track record – 1:08.1 - aboard a horse named Canal). I mean if this horse can re-capture even a faint glimmer of that May effort, well, he’ll romp. Francisco Arrieta is in the irons for trainer Oscar Barrera III. Others: :1: , :3:

Race Two:

:4: Strawberry Tequila is my selection in this state-bred 7-panels MSW sprint. Why do I like this first-time starter? First, his sire, Daaher, had a nearly one-quarter success-rate with his offspring’s first pari-mutuel race. Second, the broodmare, Tequilas Dayjur, had two winners from two starters (one was a stakes winner). The most capable Panamanian-born reinsman, Luis Saez, is in the irons for trainer Bruce Brown. Oh, a series of solid morning works, including a recent “bullet,” signals that this filly is ready to make a big splash at her “coming-out party”. Others: :5: , :1: , :2:

Race Three:

:2: Panama Papers (a famous palindrome: “A Man A Plan A Canal Panama.”). Boy, what segues we’ve got going here. Anyway, this 2 year-old bay colt has a decent turf pedigree that features English Channel lineage. This Smart Strike-bred colt’s last race was a second-place finish at one mile on the grass. The added “teenth” stretch certainly aids and abets his cause. So too are the services of trainer Mike Hushion. Hushion has quietly put together a most solid “Spa” meet. In the irons. the most capable Manny Franco. Franco is currently the 7th leading pilot at Saratoga. Others: :8: , :3: , :4:

Race Four:

:5: Woodville is my choice in this 6-panels state-bred allowance n1x sprint. This Ghostzapper-bred chestnut filly absolutely romped in her at-first-asking, maiden-breaking MSW win. As long as she doesn’t “bounce,” she’s most capable of reprising that effort and, in the process, once again enjoying a visit to the Saratoga winner’s circle. Manny Franco once again gets the call for trainer Jorge Abreu. Others: :4: , :2: . :3:

Race Five:

:4: Degrees of Freedom is my pick in this mile and one-“teenth” 40k claimer, n2L on The Inner. Yes, it’s “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown and “El Maestro,” Javier Castellano. This Arch-bred filly was bumped in her last; that certainly compromised any chance she had of winning (she finished third). A cleaner trip is all that would appear necessary for this filly to get her picture taken. I should be mention that Chad Brown (hands down, the meet’s leading trainer, does exceedingly well with horses entered in claiming races. Others: :11: , :5: , :8:

Race Six:

:9: New Money Honey is my choice in this MSW turf route. Yes, I’m going right back to “The Combination” Chad Brown and Javy Castellano. This first-time starter has a solid turf pedigree and a sharp morning work to boot. Chad Brown does exceedingly well with turf starts. This bay filly is most capable of winning a first asking. Others: :10: , :7: , :6:

Race Seven:

:4: Vandalize is my pick in the 6-panels claiming sprint, n2L. For one, the class act, Todd Pletcher trains this Unbridled’s Song-bred chestnut colt. This colt’s last race was impressive. He won in 50k claiming company. Yet, why “as I ponder weak and weary,” (1) have this 4 year-old’s connections waited four months to bring him back to the races and (2) why are they dropping him several levels to a lower-level claimer? Mysterious. Suspicious. Yes, he does move up to winners; sometimes a daunting task; yet, at least on paper, he should be a contender. Add the fact that Todd Pletcher does very well with horses that have been on the bench. The most capable Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: :10: , :6: , :7:

Race Eight:

:6: Cloontia is my choice in this OC turf route. This Candy Ride-bred chestnut colt had strung together three straight wins before finishing 5th at this level in her last; yet colt was just two lengths off the winner in a blanket finish. Jimmy Jerkens trains; he does extremely well with beaten favorites. Junior Alvarado is in the stirrups. Others: :3: , :2: , :5:

Race Nine:

:2: Ring Weekend is my pick in the Grade II Bernard Baruch turf route. This Tapit (Pulpit)-bred ran an uncharacteristically weak race in her last; yet, in all fairness, this 5 year-old chestnut gelding was pinched back after the break in the Fourstaredave. A chance to make amends here. The most capable Graham Motion trains; the Hall of Famer, John Velazquez is in the irons. Others: :8: , :5: , :1:

Race Ten:

:3: Runaway Lute is my upset pick in the 7 furlongs Grade I Hopeful. This Midnight Lute-bred colt has impressively won her only two races. The colt’s most recent victory came in the non-graded state-bred Rockville Center. Yes, this colt has been on the shelf for almost two months, yet a recent morning “bullet” work was impressive, 5 panels in 1:00.3, breezing. Gary Contessa trains this Waquoit-bred. Ricardo Santana, Jr. is in the irons. Others: :6: . :2: , :4:

Race Eleven:

In the finale, a 9-panels turf route, my pick is: :5: Above the Mark. This Street Cry-bred chestnut filly was a closing third in a similar race about three weeks ago. Any slight improvement… This Machiavellian-bred is making her second start of a layoff (an angle I like). Tom Albertrani trains; Luis Saez is in the irons. Others: :7: . :3: , :6: