PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Earthquake

Overlay
09-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Got shook up at 7:00 AM this morning here in south Oklahoma City from a 5.6 quake centered near Pawnee, Oklahoma, about 75 miles to the north. Apparently, it was a "genuine" fault-related earthquake, rather than the fairly frequent, smaller tremors that result from "fracking". In fact, it "tied" for the highest-magnitude quake ever recorded in the state. A friend of mine down in Dallas felt it, also, and it apparently registered on seismographs as far away as Pennsylvania.

chadk66
09-03-2016, 10:03 AM
nothing new for OK. they've been having earthquakes for as long as we've been keeping records. nothing to do with fracing. it's only news now because they can blame it on fracing.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/oklahoma/history.php

_______
09-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Fracking almost certainly has nothing to do with it. The issue of whether it was tectonic or related to wastewater disposal from fracking is open. The idea that anyone has a conclusive answer this soon afterwards is ridiculous.

There certainly has never been a quake this large related to wastewater disposal. But it occurred in an area where wastewater injection has caused a flurry of smaller quakes.

Regardless, I hope all our Sooner contributors made it through with little or no damage. You folks have certainly had more recent experience lately than I have out here in California.

sammy the sage
09-03-2016, 09:46 PM
another quake...Houston dominated them...

chadk66
09-03-2016, 10:15 PM
talked to a buddy seventy miles from the epicenter. he said it was pretty nasty. but he didn't know if fric or frac did it.