PDA

View Full Version : Like school.....?

PonyGirlJCM
09-02-2016, 05:22 AM
I am relatively new to this game.....
There are times when it feels as though I am cramming for exams ....studying PPs..thinking more than one of the choices could be right..making a decision... then having the 'answer" I didn't pick be the right one......
How do you handle it when you are not sure?

Johnny V
09-02-2016, 07:13 AM
I don't think you are ever going to be sure about much when handicapping horses. Too many things can go wrong. It is just an educated opinion for the most part. When you don't have a solid opinion on a race there is nothing wrong with sitting that one out and pass the race. There are plenty of other races and days. You will eventually the spots where you are more confident and bet those. Keep records.
I welcome you to this board. You will find many varying approaches here from some very good sharp people who have been doing this for a long time. You can learn a lot or at least something of value from most of us. There are different approaches to cashing that winning ticket. One good thing that you have going for you that I did not have when starting out is that it took me years to get to things that are just more readily available as information now.

Grits
09-02-2016, 08:38 AM
There are times when it feels as though I am cramming for exams ....studying PPs..thinking more than one of the choices could be right..making a decision... then having the 'answer" I didn't pick be the right one......

You will have the wrong answer more often than you will have the right. This is the first bit of handicapping that you need to fully understand and accept.

Also, don't have to play every race on a card. Take note of your temperament, and how you feel after losing. It plays a part in how you go forward.

Much good luck, and welcome to Pace Advantage.

Nitro
09-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Welcome to a great game!
I emphasize the term “game” only because in a nutshell that’s exactly what it is, and that’s something you should always keep in the back of your mind. I’ll take it a bit further by also acknowledging that it’s an insiders game. So, no matter what subjective decisions you’ve made (good, bad, or indifferent) based on the PP’s, you’re still missing the key ingredients from the selection process: Current condition and Intentions. Unfortunately, neither one of these telling factors is found in any written material. In order to be successful as an outsider playing an insider’s game you have to include this objective information into the scope of your play. Unless of course you’re just playing for fun and entertainment.

Without getting it straight from the horse’s mouth, Current Condition can be observed through a trained eye. Perception of a horse’s Physicality as its often called can usually be done during the pre-race activities like the walking ring, the post parade, and warm ups. There are many informative pieces written about this topic.

As far as Intentions go that’s an entirely different aspect of the game that more often than not is completely ignored by a majority of players. Most people believe that just because a horse is entered in a race that it’s there in an attempt to win. This may be true in Stakes races, but they only make up a small portion of the races run. Otherwise a horse may be entered as an experiment or trial for a new distance or racing surface. It might be entered as a planned racing workout for a future race, or entered to just fill a race card at the request of a racing secretary. I personally believe that the only real way to measure intentions is monitoring the betting activities through a concise tote board analysis in real time. Some of course will scoff at this notion because they believe that the betting population is only made up of other players (Outsiders) just like themselves. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

So while you’re studying of the PP’s might offer you a good foundation for what’s gone on in the past, they really don’t present the most current information for making worthwhile decisions.

thaskalos
09-02-2016, 12:35 PM
I have been betting for 36 years...and I don't recall even one time when I was "sure" about a race's outcome. You are NEVER "sure" when you gamble...and the results will often surprise you. The best thing about horse racing is that you can come out on top...even if you rip up the vast majority of your mutuel tickets.

Ocala Mike
09-02-2016, 03:41 PM
It is a lot like taking a multiple choice exam in school. ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR FIRST ANSWER! I am a firm believer in the adage, "If you study long, you study wrong."

Have fun, and don't lose the rent money!

AndyC
09-02-2016, 04:35 PM
I have been betting for 36 years...and I don't recall even one time when I was "sure" about a race's outcome. You are NEVER "sure" when you gamble...and the results will often surprise you. The best thing about horse racing is that you can come out on top...even if you rip up the vast majority of your mutuel tickets.

I think there are quite a few bettors that are very sure before the race and very humbled after the race.

JustRalph
09-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Some of the biggest lessons I learned early on. From this board.

Here you go:

1: They aren't all trying to win. In fact, some lose on purpose.
H/T: CJ, from around 2001.......

2: Learn race shapes and then really learn it.

H/T. Tom, from around 2002

3: Turf racing is a whole different sport or race

H/T Jim from Virginia. From around 2002

4: Five furlong races and 5.5 races have nothing in common. Different animals completely. The same with 6-7f and 9-10f. The stats bear it out. Don't treat minor distance changes lightly

H/T Otm Al from around 2006

If you don't know these tidbits, you're swinging blind

EMD4ME
09-02-2016, 11:02 PM

Are you a visual person or a mathematical person? Or both?

olddaddy
09-02-2016, 11:45 PM
If one was sure of an outcome it wouldnt be gambling.

whodoyoulike
09-03-2016, 07:59 PM

You have to be stubborn and opinionated. And, if you haven't noticed some are obnoxiously opinionated that even when they lose they'll argue for hours why it's the horse, jockey and/or trainer's fault that they lost.

That's how they handle it.

Btw, pay attention to Nitro's response about determining when a horse is ready to perform to it's ability in today's race. Plus, if you can figure out whether your horse can finish fastest against today's competition then you're all set.

ribjig
09-03-2016, 08:14 PM
>some are obnoxiously opinionated

PA forums lack newbie safe zone.
Where no newbie question is criticized.

Don't complain there's little new money
entering parimutuel markets when potential
sources are chased away by bitter veterans.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

No one is expected to give out proprietary info,
but giving out generic useful info promotes
future betting, IMO.

green80
09-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Just remember, good bets lose all the time.

proximity
09-03-2016, 10:07 PM

take the choice with the highest odds.

Alwaysonpoint36
09-04-2016, 04:14 PM
>some are obnoxiously opinionated

PA forums lack newbie safe zone.
Where no newbie question is criticized.

newbie forum sounds cool, its effective on other boards i used to associate with and drew out alot of lurkers to participate :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PonyGirlJCM
09-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Thank you to all who gave responses......
There is a lot of information and different ways that people process it or believe what it is they should look for....
Some look at horses...some jockeys....I saw someone that likes to profile trainers....does anyone think one works better than another?

I have second guessed myself on many occasions and do believe going with your first choice is probably best......
I always liked to pick "hunch" horses.....a name that speaks to me....especially if it is a longshot.....maybe I should just stick to that .....???

MonmouthParkJoe
09-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Sometimes my biggest wins are races I am totally unsure about and take an educated guess.

Some people on here supplement their income with racing,so they operate differently. My biggest piece of advice, have fun with it. You will have good days and bad days, but if you view it as entertainment you will always come out on top. Or at least thats what I keep telling myself.

Outside of the betting some of the best people I have met are racetrackers. Some of my monmouth people on here can attest to that. For me it transcends the betting, and becomes more of a social scene/get together.