PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Thurs., September 1, 2016

Teach
09-01-2016, 09:38 AM
Race One:

:5: Blue Atlantic appears to be rounding into form after his two races here in “the States”. This Storm Cat-bred gelding was perambulating quite nicely over “the jumps” Across the Pond early-on in his career, but he tailed off before coming to America. A third in his last race at “The Spa,” despite bobbling, showed improvement. The gelding’s trainer, Leslie Young, does well both with turf starts and third races off a layoff. Her husband, Paddy Young, is in the irons. Others: :4: , :3: , :1a:

Race Two:

:7: Da Wildcat Girl gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in this wide-open claiming turf sprint. I believe that a case can be made for several horses (watch them on the board/watch them on the track). This Da Stoops-bred mare won her last two, downstate, at Belmont. Her most recent win, albeit over a month and a-half ago, came against this same claiming company. “The King of Philadelphia.” “The Sprint Maven”. Liston, LA’s own, Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons for trainer Ed Barker. Barker does particularly well with claim repeaters, albeit with a limited sampling. Others: :4: , :6: , :3:

Race Three:

In this maiden-claimer, one mile and a ‘teenth on the turf, my choice is :3: Warranty. First, the ultimate horse-rater, Javier Castellano, is in the irons. This Maracaibo native knows exactly when to move a horse; his timing is impeccable. Secondly, the Spa’s leading trainer, Chad Brown, is this Artie Schiller-bred’s conditioner. This El Prado-bred filly now drops in for a tag and shortens up. I suppose my only concern is that Javier will have to launch his bid with this filly sooner than he had in previous races. Yet, who am I to tell the master? Others: :2: , :1: , :8:

Race Four:

Yes, it’s “Mechanicsville Chad” again in this 9-panels MSW route. You may have deduced that my choice here is :3: Butler Field. This Malibu Moon-bred colt has had two tries on the fescue with limited success (he finished off the board in both races). Well, Chad now opts to give this 3 year-old a try on the main. Brown does very well with horses switching from turf to dirt. Add to the equation a 5-furlongs “bullet” work in which colt zipped five panels in 1:01.1, breezing. Jose Ortiz, the meet’s leading rider, is in the irons. Others: :1: , :2: , :5:

Race Five:

In this 12-panels OC turf marathon route, my choice is :6: Evidently. This Roy Lerman-owned and trained 5 year-old mare was last seen finishing a closing 5th in a 9-panels turf race at Belmont over two months ago. Yet, it should be mentioned that Lerman does well with horses that have “been on the bench”. This mare gets second-time Lasix, a category, quite candidly, that Lerman does not excel at. In her favor, this Smart Strike-bred has turned in a solid morning work-tab in preparation for her return to the races. Junior Alvarado is in the stirrups. Others: :1: , :5: , :3:

Race Six:

In this maiden-claiming turf route, I’m making my longshot pick of the day, :4: Justenufflaughter. Yes, I know…this Distorted Humor-bred filly is winless in 20 tries. Yet, I saw a faint, flickering glimmer of hope in her last race a few weeks ago on August 11; she finished 3rd against similar company. What is that makes you feel this filly has a chance, you ask? In two words, Florent Geroux, “Le Cavalier Herbe” (The Turf Horseman). Geroux is the master when it comes to turf races; he proved that on Arlington Million Day in Chi-town. Add to the equation the services of Hall of Fame trainer, Leroy Jolley, Jr. When I was younger, Jolley was a household name in thoroughbred racing ranks (remember Ridan, Gulch, Manila, Foolish Pleasure, etc.). Jolley, now moving past his mid-70s, is still a name to be respected in the thoroughbred training ranks. Others: :3: , :6: , :8:

Race Seven:

An allowance mile on the Inner. Another longshot try. My pick, :8: Veblen Good. This Eddie Kenneally trainee bobbled at the break in his last and then got caught three-wide coming into the stretch. This Danzig-bred filly finished a game 4th. Any improvement off that last effort and this Danzig-bred becomes a player. It should be mentioned that this filly broke her maiden at first asking at Churchill Downs in mid-June. The veteran Joe Bravo is in the irons. Others: :1: , :3: , :5:

Race Eight:

:1: Casual Cocktail is my pick in this optional claiming sprint. Johnny V. is in the irons for the most capable Tom Proctor (He’s having an outstanding meet). Proctor does well with horses who were beaten favorites in their last (this lightly-raced 4 year-old filly finished second). This Speightstown-bred is cutting back a half-panel, that should help. A solid, recent “bullet” work signals readiness: Others: :7: , :6: , :4:

Race Nine:

In the 100k P. G. Johnson turf route, my pick is :4: Coasted. This Tiznow-bred filly broke her maiden in her last at this same distance, handily. Anything resembling that effort and it should lead to a trip to the winner’s circle. Leah “The Preacher” Gyarmati is this 2 year-old conditioner. Leah does very well with horses who were maiden winners in their last. A sharp, recent 4-panels work signals readiness. Jose Lezcano is in the irons. Others: :7: , :2: , :3:

Race Ten:

In the finale, a 5 and ½ panels MSW sprint, my choice is :2b:, Haul Anchor, if this Bernardini-bred draws in. This KIaran McLaughlin trainee has finished second in both her tries. I believe the third time will be the charm. I should mention that trainer McLaughlin does very well with beaten favorites. In addition, this colt has turned in a solid, recent morning work. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride. Others: :1: / :1a: , :4: , :9:

Teach
09-01-2016, 01:30 PM
Race Two:

Horses I like from their post parade appearance: :2: , :7: . :4: , :3:

deelo
09-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Singled :2: in my multis
and added :4: :7: to complete an exacta

good luck :ThmbUp:

Teach
09-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Race Four:

:4: made a nice impression on the racetrack.