PDA

View Full Version : Flintshire- vulnerable...

Mc990
08-26-2016, 01:19 PM
In breaking down his form, it seems the last was a regression off the 1st Lasix back in June. Now he comes in with much less rest than his last and spots some weight to a couple competitive horses in MM and Grand Tito.

Seems to me he's a play against at even money let alone 1-5... Thoughts?

This is more about the lasix than the weight. He can't possibly have his A game tomorrow, right?

letswastemoney
08-26-2016, 02:27 PM
I don't think it was a regression.

The pace was very slow, so the final time wasn't fast. That's all.

biggestal99
08-26-2016, 02:29 PM
In breaking down his form, it seems the last was a regression off the 1st Lasix back in June. Now he comes in with much less rest than his last and spots some weight to a couple competitive horses in MM and Grand Tito.

Seems to me he's a play against at even money let alone 1-5... Thoughts?

This is more about the lasix than the weight. He can't possibly have his A game tomorrow, right?

For me, he is a tough bet against. Loves the SPA, the distance, oozes with class, won the race last year, and really likes a firm turf course.

all signs point to an easy win.

Allan

EMD4ME
08-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Regression???? The Ortiz brothers rightfully rode to make him lose last time and he overcame it all in an amazing stretch effort.

Quite the opposite of a regression.

johnhannibalsmith
08-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Regression???? The Ortiz brothers rightfully rode to make him lose last time and he overcame it all in an amazing stretch effort.

Quite the opposite of a regression.

Gotta agree that even if you can make a case for regression on paper, the race itself is a different story. It was a lesson in how to get him beat if he's going to get beaten and even still he was able to overcome it in an eighth of a mile. Admittedly I haven't really looked at the upcoming race in question, but have to think it will take the same amount of trouble or more plus a way better group of horses lining up against him for Flintshire to find a way to lose any time soon.

EMD4ME
08-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Gotta agree that even if you can make a case for regression on paper, the race itself is a different story. It was a lesson in how to get him beat if he's going to get beaten and even still he was able to overcome it in an eighth of a mile. Admittedly I haven't really looked at the upcoming race in question, but have to think it will take the same amount of trouble or more plus a way better group of horses lining up against him for Flintshire to find a way to lose any time soon.

That's why I encourage everyone to use limited tools (just paper, just the sheets, just any figure service). The less well rounded horseplayers are, the more they lose and keep looking to tweek a program or system to FIND that winning formula.

In the meantime, the well rounded collect and make more and more and more.

cj
08-26-2016, 04:43 PM
I like money a little too much to try to beat this horse, similar to Songbird the last couple times.

Radar
08-26-2016, 06:26 PM
It is people like Andy Serling, who never found a favorite that he will find reasons to bet against, that would want to wager real hard-earned money against as solid a bet as Flintshire. To quote Andy's freequent less than obvious hedge "I'm not saying he can't win" Flinshire looks the most probable winner on a great Travers Day card

cj
08-26-2016, 06:27 PM
It is people like Andy Serling, who never found a favorite that he will find reasons to bet against, that would want to wager real hard-earned money against as solid a bet as Flintshire. To quote Andy's freequent less than obvious hedge "I'm not saying he can't win" Flinshire looks the most probable winner on a great Travers Day card

Andy will often say he isn't trying to beat a favorite.

horses4courses
08-26-2016, 09:08 PM
With such an excellent, contentious, card at Saratoga tomorrow,
Flintshire will be a single in the late PK4 for me.

Spreading in the races after the Sword Dancer will be necessary.
Lady Eli will be a heavy favorite in R12 - worth trying to beat, though.

If my key gets beat in the first leg, I'm done in the late Pk4.

Great day of racing in store :ThmbUp:

thespaah
08-26-2016, 09:22 PM
For me, he is a tough bet against. Loves the SPA, the distance, oozes with class, won the race last year, and really likes a firm turf course.

all signs point to an easy win.

Allan
With the heavy rainfall Thursday night, cooler temps at night, with high humidity and reduced hours of sunshine, the turf courses will have some excess moisture in them.
At this point, I don't think it matters. Flintshire is just that good.

Rollingpk3
08-26-2016, 09:27 PM
hate that the the race is included in both of the late pk 4's

Lemon Drop Husker
08-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Rarely do you see a 4 horse field in which the 3 other jockeys did their absolute best to try and beat a single horse as the Bowling Green last out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3rXBlUjnk

Horse had every reason to finish dead last, but still won. You say regression, I see one of the more impressive wins of the year.

thespaah
08-26-2016, 09:29 PM
A good example of this would be TLG's discussion of today's 10th race. He spoke about a few factors as to why he could see the favorite getting beat, but did pick the horse as his win selection. In fact, of the 5 people working the Saratoga Live show, TLG was the only one that used the :5: ( Super Surprise) as his selection.....

thespaah
08-26-2016, 09:31 PM
With such an excellent, contentious, card at Saratoga tomorrow,
Flintshire will be a single in the late PK4 for me.

Spreading in the races after the Sword Dancer will be necessary.
Lady Eli will be a heavy favorite in R12 - worth trying to beat, though.

If my key gets beat in the first leg, I'm done in the late Pk4.

Great day of racing in store :ThmbUp:
Yes...it will be.....Even more encouraging is the weather forecast...
Mostly Sunny High 84....Winds, light and variable.......

Tor Ekman
08-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Rarely do you see a 4 horse field in which the 3 other jockeys did their absolute best to try and beat a single horse as the Bowling Green last out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3rXBlUjnk

Horse had every reason to finish dead last, but still won. You say regression, I see one of the more impressive wins of the year.

+1 :ThmbUp:

NorCalGreg
08-26-2016, 10:17 PM
That's why I encourage everyone to use limited tools (just paper, just the sheets, just any figure service). The less well rounded horseplayers are, the more they lose and keep looking to tweek a program or system to FIND that winning formula.

In the meantime, the well rounded collect and make more and more and more.

Only you could turn a thread discussing the vulnerability of Flintshire--into a bashing of anyone not as wonderfully talented as you.

Good job

* and please...spare us all the 6 consecutive post-rant about how you were "attacked" and must defend yourself.

kevb
08-27-2016, 02:22 AM
Has it ever been reported what Castellano said to Ortiz as he cruised by under a hand ride approaching the wire. That was a hoot.

EMD4ME
08-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Has it ever been reported what Castellano said to Ortiz as he cruised by under a hand ride approaching the wire. That was a hoot.

Yes.

He said: Hey bros. Nice try but eat THIS, this ones for EMD4ME :lol: :lol:

the little guy
08-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Keep quiet. Stop correcting the lies.

mannyberrios
08-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Yes.

He said: Hey bros. Nice try but eat THIS, this ones for EMD4ME :lol: :lol:
Cool

EMD4ME
08-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Cool

If I had to wager, I'd bet he said :

1) something in Spanish

2) something like: nice try you phuckers :lol:

EMD4ME
08-27-2016, 04:53 PM
How much did they give Aaron for that rabbit job? :lol:

Although I must say, it is SO nice and refreshing to see a rabbit being utilized properly. :ThmbUp:

So much the best anyway! Nice horse.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-27-2016, 05:00 PM
How much did they give Aaron for that rabbit job? :lol:

Although I must say, it is SO nice and refreshing to see a rabbit being utilized properly. :ThmbUp:

So much the best anyway! Nice horse.

It truly is laughable how much he towers over the other "G1" turf horses in the states right now.

Need to see him against Tepin, Found, and Golden Horn in the BC Turf if that can happen. Not sure all those are even in training?

olddaddy
08-27-2016, 05:03 PM
Id have to say Gryder will be getting some nice Brown mounts in the future.

horses4courses
08-27-2016, 05:08 PM
It truly is laughable how much he towers over the other "G1" turf horses in the states right now.

Need to see him against Tepin, Found, and Golden Horn in the BC Turf if that can happen. Not sure all those are even in training?

Found is still around.
Tepin will go in the BC Mile.

Postponed, Found, and Highland Reel are best of the
Euros currently being talked about for the BC Turf.
Long way to go before we know who's coming, though.

Postponed is the best of them, but he would still be
hard pressed to beat Flintshire under US conditions.

EMD4ME
08-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Id have to say Gryder will be getting some nice Brown mounts in the future.

Maybe 1 or 2 of Javier's ? :lol: :lol:

cnollfan
08-27-2016, 09:23 PM
I'm looking to bet against Flintshire going forward. Not saying he isn't a good horse, but today's competition was thin -- only one Grade II win on the page from all the other entrants.

Redboard
08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
I'm looking to bet against Flintshire going forward. Not saying he isn't a good horse, but today's competition was thin -- only one Grade II win on the page from all the other entrants.

Good luck to that! If he runs in the Arc again next he might not be the favorite so if you try to beat him you might be betting on a lower odds horse.

horses4courses
08-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Good luck to that! If he runs in the Arc again next he might not be the favorite so if you try to beat him you might be betting on a lower odds horse.

He would definitely not be favorite in the Arc.
Besides, he's not going to France.

Found his niche here - mostly firmer ground with tighter turns.
He is, also, too classy a horse to regress much.
Give him ample rest, he fires every time.

It's going to take a very good horse to beat him this year.