PDA

View Full Version : a long past time follow up to Bayern's BC Classic

dilanesp
08-25-2016, 09:13 PM
Remember all the arguments here about how Bayern should have been disqualified for the start of the 2014 BC Classic? One of the points that was made is that California stewards almost never disqualify for stuff that happens at the start.

In reviewing some race videos, I came across the 2nd at Del Mar on August 13. The winner, #2 Dixie Chick Rocks, took out the eventual second place finishing #3 horse by making a right turn out of the gate in a 5 1/2 furlong race. The stewards ruled no disqualification. It works the same way here whether it's a BC race or not-- they give horses the first couple of strides out of the gate in a thoroughbred race.

anotherCAfan
08-25-2016, 10:26 PM
Remember all the arguments here about how Bayern should have been disqualified for the start of the 2014 BC Classic? One of the points that was made is that California stewards almost never disqualify for stuff that happens at the start.

In reviewing some race videos, I came across the 2nd at Del Mar on August 13. The winner, #2 Dixie Chick Rocks, took out the eventual second place finishing #3 horse by making a right turn out of the gate in a 5 1/2 furlong race. The stewards ruled no disqualification. It works the same way here whether it's a BC race or not-- they give horses the first couple of strides out of the gate in a thoroughbred race.
I would argue that Bayern's BC Classic gave our stewards here the precedent to not make disqualifications. :bang:

Lemon Drop Husker
08-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Excellent comparison.

A 7 horse field of Maiden Specials at Del Mar running for a $63K purse vs the Breeders Cup Classic in which 14 of the top end most experienced and trained horses in the country were running 10Fs for a $5 Million dollar pot. :faint:

Let us also not forget, the races being nearly 2 years apart.

dilanesp
08-25-2016, 10:52 PM
Excellent comparison.

A 7 horse field of Maiden Specials at Del Mar running for a $63K purse vs the Breeders Cup Classic in which 14 of the top end most experienced and trained horses in the country were running 10Fs for a $5 Million dollar pot. :faint:

Why does that make a difference, Lemon Drop? The rules of racing are exactly the same in both races.

cj
08-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Why does that make a difference, Lemon Drop? The rules of racing are exactly the same in both races.

This is hardly the first incident since the Bayern Classic. There have been several since and the stewards have remained consistent. For that matter, they were consistent before the Classic too. I remember tweeting right after that it would be "as is" based on the rules in SoCal.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-25-2016, 10:57 PM

Seriously?

You believe the Super Bowl should be officiated like a preseason game being played tonight in the NFL?

FTS and Maidens should and will be given more room for fouls than the best of the best running in the biggest race and purse in the entire country on a year in and year out basis.

Did/do you give your 5 year old son more leeway for fumbling and bumbling mistakes as you did when he was 18?

SuperPickle
08-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Seriously?

You believe the Super Bowl should be officiated like a preseason game being played tonight in the NFL?

FTS and Maidens should and will be given more room for fouls than the best of the best running in the biggest race and purse in the entire country on a year in and year out basis.

Did/do you give your 5 year old son more leeway for fumbling and bumbling mistakes as you did when he was 18?

The answer is yes we want consistency but the human condition prevents it. Stewards are human and they know the difference between a Grade One and a maiden claimer.

But we can dream.

EMD4ME
08-25-2016, 11:12 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133007&highlight=gate

Shoot, I tried to come up with a thread for Gate DQ's. Only got 1 post, 1 incident, MINE :lol: :lol: :lol:

Besides the race that was run within a few minutes of that BCC at PENN, I have only seen 2 gate DQ's. This one at EMD and THAT one at PENN.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-25-2016, 11:15 PM
The answer is yes we want consistency but the human condition prevents it. Stewards are human and they know the difference between a Grade One and a maiden claimer.

But we can dream.

OK.

So there are people wagering on these preseason games, and the pools are small so nobody cares because they are 1/10th or less of a regular season game and 1/billionth of what is wagered on the Super Bowl.

You are fine with these games being officiated differently with way bigger pools than just about any race on any day in the country, and then want the Super Bowl officiated differently, right? Maybe you don't bet the NFL, but that is the reality.

Why and how is horse racing different, especially when we are talking about completely inexperienced horses that should get some leeway versus the very best of the best running in the biggest race of the year?

cnollfan
08-25-2016, 11:35 PM
The Super Bowl would not necessarily be called tighter than a preseason game or a baby race. There is also a desire to "swallow the whistle" and "decide it on the field" in big games and big races.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-26-2016, 12:56 AM
The Super Bowl would not necessarily be called tighter than a preseason game or a baby race. There is also a desire to "swallow the whistle" and "decide it on the field" in big games and big races.

They "swallow the whistle" late in the game to let the players work it out. Early in the game? They'll call it much tighter.