PDA

View Full Version : Moonshine Cate Runs Friday in Saratoga - Owner's Comments

emasie
08-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Hi PA Folks..

Our horse, Moonshine Cate, runs tomorrow (Friday) in the 4th race in Saratoga.

We had to do a vet scratch for her a few weeks ago - when she bumped her leg and got a bit of swelling - the day before the race.

But, after that went down in a few days and some more good treatment from the grooms and trainers in her barn - she is excited to run. There have not been many races for Fillies 3 years on the turf at a bit more than a mile - so we have had to target this race. Franco already had a call for another horse - and we will have Junior A on her.

As always, Saratoga is a funky place to run - and we have a collection of horses in - from a collection of pedigrees.

We are excited to stretch her out - and give her a chance to show her speed over the longer route.

BTW, we were going to sell her younger 1/2 sister in Ocala yesterday, but the sales didn't get many big buyers. So, we will have 4 of Miss Matzo's fillies in next year (Miss Matzoball, Moonshine Cate, Kinky Sox (2 year old to run in early Fall) and Citizen Matzo (our yearling).

Saratoga is starting to fill up for the weekend and there should be a full house on Saturday - plus a good crowd for the New York Races on Friday.

My wishes for the race are 1) may the horse and jockey come out safe, healthy and in good shape 2) and may the horse move forward and 3) nice to get on the board and make some money to pay for future oats and care.

Go Moonshine Cate! (Note - the name is from a relative who actually ran bootlegged booze from New Jersey and was named Cate - this horse was born on her birthday).

Elliott Masie
MASIE Stables

wisconsin
08-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Good luck!!! Hope she runs swell.

Parson
08-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Good Luck. I have a 3yr old on the shelf for about 2 more weeks and 2 2yr olds in training now. I am trying to be patient with the 2yr olds but man I cannot wait. They sure look great in the mornings.

VeryOldMan
08-25-2016, 05:40 PM
I love these posts/updates, speaking as a fan of the sport.

Good luck!

Bigadam119
08-25-2016, 09:44 PM
I love these posts/updates, speaking as a fan of the sport.

Good luck!

I second that. Great stuff!

KidCruz
08-25-2016, 10:58 PM
I love these posts as well.

I may have missed this in a past post but any insight as to why you want to run Cate longer than a mile when Miss Matzoball has seemed to be at her best sprinting?

Thanks and safe trip tomorrow!

emasie
08-26-2016, 08:25 AM
As an owner, a rainy morning in Saratoga is a time of uncertainty. It rained HARD last night for a SHORT time. So, will the 4th race today be pulled from the turf?

If it is we will scratch Moonshine Cate -- but we are hoping it stays on the turf. There are many stakes races coming up - so they may take the 4th off.

We took her to the track at 515 am today for a gallop and she is primed. So, waiting for the text that may come at about 11 am with the news from NYRA

Of course, then there is the question of when this race might happen again - probably not this meet but would have to wait until the Belmont schedule is posted.

Someone asked why we were stretching the route out to a mile/plus even though her 1/2 sister Miss Matzoball succeeds at 5 1/2. In both of her races and also in training - she seems to accelerate rather than be fast from the gate. The jockeys and riders - as well as the trainer - felt she would be way more suited for this distance.

So back to the clock and waiting....

EMD4ME
08-26-2016, 11:26 AM
As an owner, a rainy morning in Saratoga is a time of uncertainty. It rained HARD last night for a SHORT time. So, will the 4th race today be pulled from the turf?

If it is we will scratch Moonshine Cate -- but we are hoping it stays on the turf. There are many stakes races coming up - so they may take the 4th off.

We took her to the track at 515 am today for a gallop and she is primed. So, waiting for the text that may come at about 11 am with the news from NYRA

Of course, then there is the question of when this race might happen again - probably not this meet but would have to wait until the Belmont schedule is posted.

Someone asked why we were stretching the route out to a mile/plus even though her 1/2 sister Miss Matzoball succeeds at 5 1/2. In both of her races and also in training - she seems to accelerate rather than be fast from the gate. The jockeys and riders - as well as the trainer - felt she would be way more suited for this distance.

So back to the clock and waiting....

As always great luck and be safe! :ThmbUp:

Has she galloped in the mud at all? Does she like it? Any thoughts on that?

Hope the weather is good for you, so you can enjoy the day :ThmbUp:

jahura2
08-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Hi PA Folks..

We had to do a vet scratch for her a few weeks ago - when she bumped her leg and got a bit of swelling - the day before the race.

But, after that went down in a few days and some more good treatment from the grooms and trainers in her barn - she is excited to run. There have not been many races for Fillies 3 years on the turf at a bit more than a mile - so we have had to target this race. Franco already had a call for another horse - and we will have Junior A on her.

As always, Saratoga is a funky place to run - and we have a collection of horses in - from a collection of pedigrees.

We are excited to stretch her out - and give her a chance to show her speed over the longer route.

BTW, we were going to sell her younger 1/2 sister in Ocala yesterday, but the sales didn't get many big buyers. So, we will have 4 of Miss Matzo's fillies in next year (Miss Matzoball, Moonshine Cate, Kinky Sox (2 year old to run in early Fall) and Citizen Matzo (our yearling).

Saratoga is starting to fill up for the weekend and there should be a full house on Saturday - plus a good crowd for the New York Races on Friday.

My wishes for the race are 1) may the horse and jockey come out safe, healthy and in good shape 2) and may the horse move forward and 3) nice to get on the board and make some money to pay for future oats and care.

Go Moonshine Cate! (Note - the name is from a relative who actually ran bootlegged booze from New Jersey and was named Cate - this horse was born on her birthday).

Elliott Masie
MASIE Stables

Always love your posts Emasie, you are a breath of fresh air on this board. Best wishes!

tholl
08-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Did come off the turf. But glad you stayed in, great money for a 4 horse field.
I have a weanling by the same sire Girolamo so are pulling for you!

emasie
08-26-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks all.

We got a check :)

The jockey said she was fine for the first 1/2 -- but when he asked for more - she wasn't ready to dig into the dirt.

Since there were only 4 - and the result was the same - he let up on her - and she could just relax for the last --- saving for the next race.

Elliott

bello
08-26-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reports Elliot....seems like some edginess got the best of her. A bit washy in the paddock. I thought she looked better on the track and then got edgy again at the gate.

All the best

lamboguy
08-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Thanks all.

The jockey said she was fine for the first 1/2 -- but when he asked for more - she wasn't ready to dig into the dirt.

Since there were only 4 - and the result was the same - he let up on her - and she could just relax for the last --- saving for the next race.

Elliott

i ran there last week and finished dead last and actually didn't run that bad and i got ZERO. i am glad you got a check it helps out with those day rates.

Hambletonian
08-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Thanks all.

Elliott

Geez Elliot, you have such a great attitude about all of this. You posts continue to be a refreshing change of pace.

Your jock did you a solid, gave her one whack at the top of the stretch to see if she was cheating then wrapped her up. She did not look like she enjoyed the dirt much at all, I was hoping she was going to be able to give you some feedback at sprint vs route, but I don't think you are gonna be able to be decisive about that issue after this race.

Hopefully she comes out OK and she will be ready to roll at Belmont!

EMD4ME
08-26-2016, 04:32 PM
She came back safe and got a check. :ThmbUp: Glad jock saved for next time. She is a Turf horse.

thespaah
08-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Hi PA Folks..

Elliott Masie
MASIE Stables
Shame this race was taken off the turf.
BTW, i have her in my equibase virtual stable.
Hopefully she came out of the race OK and will be on schedule for a start at Belmont....And I hope it stays on the grass

thespaah
08-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Thanks all.

Elliott
Was hoping all was well and the rider dialed her down to a jog.

emasie
08-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Totally --- the jock respected her and gave her the right way to wrap up. We look forward to have him on her in the next turf race - probably at Belmont

Interestingly, Darley was represented in the paddock. Came up to wish us well as Giralamo was her stallion. Impressive when they make the appearance and stay connected

The attitude of the owner is key to give the trainer the right context for managing your horse. It is always Roy's decisions about running or not. As owners we stay involved and informed but you have to trust your trainer,,,

emasie
08-27-2016, 09:16 AM
So, it is the next morning after Moonshine Cate's race on the dirt.

What did we learn and how is she???

- She really does not like to race on the dirt :)
- She is in awesome shape this morning - she was up early and raring to exercise today - even though we gave her a more gentle day after racing walk.
- Her ears and eyes and spirit was up!
- For her, it seems like she had a good "work" at the track - 1/2 mile and then gallop for the other half mile.
- We will point her towards a race at Belmont on the grass.

Here is a pic of her this morning at 6:30 am:
[/url]

[url]https://instagram.com/p/BJnQS2MDT9g/ (https://www.facebook.com/#)

Thanks to PA folks for following along with her race. Her half-sister, Kinky Sox will be running in the fall as well.

thespaah
08-27-2016, 12:54 PM
So, it is the next morning after Moonshine Cate's race on the dirt.

What did we learn and how is she???

- She really does not like to race on the dirt :)
- She is in awesome shape this morning - she was up early and raring to exercise today - even though we gave her a more gentle day after racing walk.
- Her ears and eyes and spirit was up!
- For her, it seems like she had a good "work" at the track - 1/2 mile and then gallop for the other half mile.
- We will point her towards a race at Belmont on the grass.

Here is a pic of her this morning at 6:30 am:
[/url]

[url]https://instagram.com/p/BJnQS2MDT9g/ (https://www.facebook.com/#)

Thanks to PA folks for following along with her race. Her half-sister, Kinky Sox will be running in the fall as well.
My photo caption.
"ok, breakfast is over, I've done my chores. When can I go out and play"

whodoyoulike
08-27-2016, 04:51 PM
i ran there last week and finished dead last and actually didn't run that bad and i got ZERO. i am glad you got a check it helps out with those day rates.

You need to re-check. You should've gotten $840 for 6th. And, I agree didn't run that bad maybe distance and/or class level question.

SG4
09-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Elliott - See that Moonshine Cate is in for a tag on Friday - thought her turf comeback in MSW was promising, and that her dirt race last out could be a throw-out, surprised to see her drop in to the claiming ranks. Any specifics you can give on the thought process in moving down the class ladder already with her?

lamboguy
09-20-2016, 03:25 AM
You need to re-check. You should've gotten $840 for 6th. And, I agree didn't run that bad maybe distance and/or class level question.
actually got the statement in the mail and was shocked to see that you are right! personally i don't think i deserve a penny for my horses performance that day. paying all the way to last place is wrong and no good for the game in the long run. it opens up the game to mediocrity, something the game don't need any more of.

BENNY AND ALEX is in today's last race at Finger Lakes and should be ok in that spot. he ran a half decent third his last race to a pretty decent horse that came back to run 2nd downstate for $35k

lamboguy
09-20-2016, 06:25 AM
i forgot to say thank you to Elliot for supporting the New York Breeders program. my partner has been sending up New York Breds for 40 years now and i have been part of it for 30. it has become the backbone of New York racing that has remained great even though they have plenty of challenges.

whodoyoulike
09-20-2016, 06:05 PM
actually got the statement in the mail and was shocked to see that you are right! personally i don't think i deserve a penny for my horses performance that day. paying all the way to last place is wrong and no good for the game in the long run. it opens up the game to mediocrity, something the game don't need any more of.

BENNY AND ALEX is in today's last race at Finger Lakes and should be ok in that spot. he ran a half decent third his last race to a pretty decent horse that came back to run 2nd downstate for $35k

Saw this too late but he looks like he has changed last two races based on the pp's. I'll try to find a replay of today's race but I remember I had a difficult time at one time for FL.

Good luck with this one Lambo. I'm not an insider, owner or trainer like you guys. I just like to handicap horses and I felt he was a router and definitely not a sprinter (see how much I know!!).

Btw, you may want to have a talk with your bookkeeper.;)

lamboguy
09-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Saw this too late but he looks like he has changed last two races based on the pp's. I'll try to find a replay of today's race but I remember I had a difficult time at one time for FL.

Good luck with this one Lambo. I'm not an insider, owner or trainer like you guys. I just like to handicap horses and I felt he was a router and definitely not a sprinter (see how much I know!!).

Btw, you may want to have a talk with your bookkeeper.;)
no doubt, i eluded the winners circle with him again today, although he did run a winning type of race.

thespaah
09-21-2016, 01:49 PM
I see Moonshine Cate is going this Saturday at Belmont
http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/BEL092316USA-EQB.html#RACE9
Much better to be outside than on the fence at this distance at Belmont.
5-1 ML.....
I will be making my bets and using this one...

whodoyoulike
09-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Saw this too late but he looks like he has changed last two races based on the pp's. I'll try to find a replay of today's race but I remember I had a difficult time at one time for FL. ...

Lambo,

I was able to watch the replay very nice performance. He just got beat and not a lack of stamina thing, IMO. Hope he came back okay.

lamboguy
09-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Lambo,

I was able to watch the replay very nice performance. He just got beat and not a lack of stamina thing, IMO. Hope he came back okay.let me just say this, he was good last year but had an injury, he needed 3 operations. after 5 months in florida he started to train good, i decided to run him in a spot at NYRA, he didn't perform that well. he needed something easier to regain his confidence, i sent him to Finger Lakes to run the Allowance race. he has gotten better with every race, hopefully he will have no fear and run better next time. there was nothing else i could do with him.

my next horse might make her initial start in Belmont on October 6. she has been very nervous so far at the track especially around the gate. i am going to put her in for a tag as well, if she is ready she will run. she is a very tiny horse weighing around 800 pounds, but she has ability and she would not surprise me if she steps up and runs big. she will not have lasix but will have all the other pre-race stuff.

Big Peps
09-22-2016, 10:32 AM
I have brought quite a few horses to FL from NYRA, always find it usually takes 1 to get them ready to win there, even with a couple I thought could not lose, I usually find that they run where or how I thought they would the 2nd time out, just my 2 cents.

I watched your race, would be surprised if you don't win next out. Had a first time starter there in a maiden 15, thought could not lose, never picked his head up as he didn't break. 2nd time out, he broke like a rocket got run down at the wire and lost a nose but ran really well.

I have had 2-3 massive drops as well, just trying to win a race and only won with 1 first time, 2nd time moved up and won. Not a ton of claiming activity at FL either and if you train with the Engleharts that eliminates a big part of the claiming contingent.

Good luck..