PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping in 'Sessions'

sq764
07-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I know this topic has been discuss in the past, but I was curious if anyone still uses this method of play.. If so, how exactly do you treat each ‘session’ and how does it play out in the way of # of races, tracks, profit/loss, etc?

TonyK@HSH
07-13-2004, 09:55 PM
SQ,

Don't know if this answers your question but I WAGER in session style. Dave Schwartz actually taught me this approach. I love it!! It has helped my money management skills and led to overall profitability.
In a nutshell I risk a percentage of my overall bankroll in each session. Let's say my BR is $1000. I may choose to risk 20% in each session so my session BR would be $200. I play until my BR either doubles or it's gone. Some of Dave's clients play until it triples. Each time the session ends (BR doubles or you lose the session) recalc the percentage of new BR and start a new session.
If you'd like any further information...just ask

tony

andicap
07-14-2004, 12:53 AM
How do you decide how much to bet on each race? Kelly?

charleslanger
07-14-2004, 10:15 PM
andicap How do you decide how much to bet on each race? Kelly?

A significant adjustment of it: Kelly is extremely dangerous to a bankroll-- as can be not playing in "sessions" or some such predetermined method...

TonyK@HSH
07-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by andicap
How do you decide how much to bet on each race? Kelly?

Well here is where everyone will think I'm a lunatic. I actually use mild progression wagers on exotics within the session. If I lose an entire session, which will happen, I begin a new session with my base bet amount and begin the progression from there. I play primarily exotics so I can often win sessions with one bet. The progression is similar to Dave's Opponent Method.
For me this works. I have a high level of confidence that it can be done with wins bets as well.

TonyK

CapperLou
07-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Sessions have made me much more since I started using them about four years ago. I use them for WIN Bets!!! I play a few exactas also in the mix.

Highly recommend them to anyone out there. Limits losses and maximizes profits!!

All the best,

CapperLou

timtam
07-15-2004, 08:51 AM
How many wagers usually consist of a session? Do you go after a certain odds price range?

charleslanger
07-15-2004, 08:52 AM
Anything you want-- Dave's manuals use 20.....

cj
07-15-2004, 09:07 AM
I made a spreadsheet for sessions that Dave seemed to like. If you have bought the book, he may send it to you if you ask.

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2004, 11:14 AM
CJ,

I think this is the one you sent. COuld you check it out and let me know?

CJ's HMI Worksheet-zipped (http://www.horsestreet.com/package\HMI2%20Trial%20II.zip)

If so, please feel free to download it.

Dave

BillW
07-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
CJ,

I think this is the one you sent. COuld you check it out and let me know?

CJ's HMI Worksheet-zipped (http://www.horsestreet.com/package\HMI2%20Trial%20II.zip)

If so, please feel free to download it.

Dave

Dave,

Looks like you have a reversed DOS slash (\) after "package " in your path spec causing a "Not Found".

Bill

Secretariat
07-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TonyK@HSH
Well here is where everyone will think I'm a lunatic. I actually use mild progression wagers on exotics within the session. If I lose an entire session, which will happen, I begin a new session with my base bet amount and begin the progression from there. I play primarily exotics so I can often win sessions with one bet. The progression is similar to Dave's Opponent Method.
For me this works. I have a high level of confidence that it can be done with wins bets as well.

TonyK

Say you have a $200 session bankroll. Generally what constitutes a successful session for you? You state I can often win sessions with one bet. In other words when do you begin a new session, at what point?

sq764
07-15-2004, 01:21 PM
I asked this question because I play poker online in this fashion.. If I put in $50, I will play until I hit $100 or until I hit $25. At either point, I cash out the entire amount, then start fresh the 'next session'..

Once I started doing this, I started to profit in the range of $105-120 per week. I realized I was playing a little tighter, but moreso the strict guidelines helped in retaining the profit.

I am trying to comfortably transition this process to my horseracing wagering as well.

CapperLou
07-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello Dave:

I sent pm about the "book" referred to earlier--which I believe you wrote to CJ--Have not heard back from him yet!!

It's the book that relates to sessions at some point. Would like to know about it and where to get it--if you know. Thanks very much.

Off to decent start today with Ice n' Gold in 2nd Bel--6.30, bet down from 4-1 ml. Liked this one--don't see anything else today.

All the best,

CapperLou

cj
07-15-2004, 02:12 PM
http://www.horsestreet.com/package/HMI2%20Trial%20II.zip

I think this will work.

That one is not quite the same. I'll post mine with Dave's permission.

Dave,

I wasn't going to give it away, I figured your customers might want it. Then again, without the book, they probably won't get it anyway.

Craig

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2004, 04:27 PM
CJ,

That one was not from you?

That means that yours is hiding somewhere on my hard drive. Any idea what the title of your file was originally?

Dave

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Capper Lou,

Actually the "session concept" originated in an article I wrote back in about 1992 or so titled "Off Center and the Losing Game." I will see if I can find it.

"Sessions" are often referenced in our two money strategy books as well.

Dave

Dave Schwartz
07-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Capper Lou,

I have located the article and added it to our articles list:

HorseStreet Articles (http://www.horsestreet.com/freestuff/articles/index.html)

Dave

CapperLou
07-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Thank you very much for your efforts; I appreciate it. Will look it over carefully.

All the best,

CapperLou

TonyK@HSH
07-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Secretariat
Say you have a $200 session bankroll. Generally what constitutes a successful session for you? You state I can often win sessions with one bet. In other words when do you begin a new session, at what point?

Secretariat,

In your example my session would end when my BR reached $400 or when I went broke. The reason I can end sessions with one hit is because I focus heavily on P-3's.

Hope this helps.

tony

Secretariat
07-15-2004, 08:37 PM
THanks TK, So your session goal is 100% of your orginal session BR. THanks.