PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT'S a stretchout

PhantomOnTour
08-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Check out #4 Stormy Alex in the first race at Sar today.
Began his career in 5f turf sprints at Del...then takes a break and stretches out a mere 11.5 furlongs and wins a jumps race.

Talk about two trainers with two very different ideas for a horse.

OTM Al
08-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Check out #4 Stormy Alex in the first race at Sar today.
Began his career in 5f turf sprints at Del...then takes a break and stretches out a mere 11.5 furlongs and wins a jumps race.

Talk about two trainers with two very different ideas for a horse.
I've heard sprinters make good jumpers because they have more of that quick response muscle than average that helps them on the jumps themselves. Pace in these races are also pretty slow until the end, so not like stretching out to that distance on the flat.

bobphilo
08-24-2016, 02:06 PM
I've heard sprinters make good jumpers because they have more of that quick response muscle than average that helps them on the jumps themselves. Pace in these races are also pretty slow until the end, so not like stretching out to that distance on the flat.
Very good explanation. I've learned something new. Makes sense that sprinters need explosive muscle power to accelerate to top speed, the same power needed to clear jumps. Of course, in addition horses also need the endurance to run the longer distances in jump races.

OTM Al
08-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Very good explanation. I've learned something new. Makes sense that sprinters need explosive muscle power to accelerate to top speed, the same power needed to clear jumps. Of course, in addition horses also need the endurance to run the longer distances in jump races.
But as I said, it is not at the same speed as long distance flat runners would go. All horses can run long distances at lower rates of speed. Only real stayers can do it at quicker rates on the flat, so the endurance isn't exactly the same. Most of the race is a jog with brief bursts for the jump and then the burst at the end. Any horse can run at that rate of the jog. This situation can work out quite well for a sprinter because of the need for the short bursts.

Tom
08-24-2016, 02:28 PM
A lot of NYS Bred maiden claimers need more distance before they can win
How much more distance?

Like from Aqueduct to Finger Lakes. The ultimate stretch out.

dilanesp
08-24-2016, 05:18 PM

I've heard that too. I remember that Flatterer, who became a star in the jumps in the 1980's, was said to be bred for speed.