PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to McSchell_Racing again!

Dancer's Image
07-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Our own McSchell_Racing's horse, Air Cool, won the 7th race at Calder today. This man not only talks the talk here in the forum but he also walks the walk (well, at least his horses do!) on the track! Congratulations!

JustRalph
07-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Nice Work! In the Slop!

see it here

http://www.justralph.com/air_cool_wins_071204.asx

KingChas
07-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Congrats again! Just wondered you said Lisa suggested the horse for two turns =win.You just cut back to 5f and won again as chalk ($4.40).??????

OTM Al
07-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Yes congrats from me as well. Had the day off and watched it on the TV at home, what little you could see of it in the downpour anyway.

CryingForTheHorses
07-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by KingChas
Congrats again! Just wondered you said Lisa suggested the horse for two turns =win.You just cut back to 5f and won again as chalk ($4.40).??????

LMAO Chase, This is a different horse. The horse you are speaking of was WILD EXCESS. He was the 2 turn guy.What a exciting day it was,Just before the race..We had a monsoon downpour, It had me worried as there were 2 scratches and I was hoping "CHAMP" didnt mind the goo and didnt mind the rain in his face.Couldnt see him on the screen, But I met him at the 70yard pole and ran in the pouring rain yelling and cheering him on...Im sure the people in the grandstand wondered who the fool running in the rain was.ITS the GREATEST feeling in the world to see your own horse win. He won this race easy.3 in a row and looking for 4. Thanks guys.Thanks Dancer, Thanks Ralph, Thanks Chase,Thanks OTM.

kenwoodallpromos
07-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Are you going to put him in a non-claiming?
Claim a mare and breed him!

charleslanger
07-13-2004, 06:53 PM
Congratulations from me too!

I'd also be honored to get your insights re managing Air Cool, & maybe next race plans...

One could say, going by last year's record--if he didn't decline since then-- that he could maybe step up successfully; on the other hand-- no need to do that to the horse, since he anyway thrives on frequent racing, & there's little chance of someone else claiming a 10-year old?

Thank you.

CryingForTheHorses
07-13-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by charleslanger
Congratulations from me too!

I'd also be honored to get your insights re managing Air Cool, & maybe next race plans...

One could say, going by last year's record--if he didn't decline since then-- that he could maybe step up successfully; on the other hand-- no need to do that to the horse, since he anyway thrives on frequent racing, & there's little chance of someone else claiming a 10-year old?

Thank you.

Thanks Charles
AIR COOL is a fun horse to train and seems to be thriving on our training.First and formost...Your horse MUST be happy!! Nothing worse then coming back to the barn to feed and there is your horse in the back of the stall ..pouting...This guy was like that the first week I owned him...20lbs of carrots and a few bananas and TLC and the proper things done to him to make him happy.He now SCREAMS at me when I walk in the barn,Ill go in the barn open the fridge and he is screaming for that carrot.Remember this..This guy was running his eyeballs out in them tough races all his life...These races are so easy on him, He thinks he is the best thing to ever come down the sunshine state parkway!!.Not really sure about his next race..He will tell me. Horses are born to run. MOST horses thrive on frequent running. The only thing is ..you have to be smart enough to see a problem with your horse so you avoid the bounce.Also takes everything to go right as they are going to the gate. So much can happen to make you lose the race.

charleslanger
07-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Brings to mind one of Bonnie Ledbetter's severe head trip rescues: classical music on, sitting down while facing away from the horse & handing it watermelon...

Speaking of bounce, funny how bouncing off an off-track performance has just about faded off the map nowadays...

Continued success!

stuball
07-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Way to go !! Does my heart good to see someone be successful
by being good to the horses instead of wringing all you can out of
a horse and then discarding it...You are right horses love to run..
Just watch them in a field sometime when they feel good...it is a sight to make your heart sing...

You are to be commended for the approach you are taking to the
training game...if I ever own a horse???

Stuball

andicap
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
I say we start a stable and let Tom run it for us!
Lets see if 40 of us get involved, can I get in for under $1,000 a year??
:D :D :D
Keep up updated on when your horses are running Tom.

Your insights on this board are truly valued. You seem like a trainer who really cares about his charges and doesn't treat them like so much cattle.

CryingForTheHorses
07-14-2004, 02:14 PM
Im very humbled at your responses, I have a guy buggin me to sell AIR COOL to him, wants to race him in Ill then retire him next spring as a stud in ocala,Wants to give me $12.500, I claimed him for $6250.00,Has won $15.800 for me in 4 races, If I sell him for the $12.500 plus the $15.800 he has won thats a whooping $27.800 since may 29.I dont need the money thats for sure but I would love to see him get a chance to be courting mares as he deserves it.I would lke to think he would win his next race but anything can happen.
Im stuck between a rock and a hard place,How can I go to the barn and face the "CHAMP" knowing I may sell him.The only reason I would sell him is so he can breed. This guy has also told me if I dont sell him, He WILL claim him his next race...WHAT should I do?

cj
07-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Find those starter allowance races he must be eligble for now. No claims, and he would have a deecent shot. They may not run them at Calder, but they do in several other areas.

Too late for Canterbury this weekend!

BillW
07-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
Im very humbled at your responses, I have a guy buggin me to sell AIR COOL to him, wants to race him in Ill then retire him next spring as a stud in ocala,Wants to give me $12.500, I claimed him for $6250.00,Has won $15.800 for me in 4 races, If I sell him for the $12.500 plus the $15.800 he has won thats a whooping $27.800 since may 29.I dont need the money thats for sure but I would love to see him get a chance to be courting mares as he deserves it.I would lke to think he would win his next race but anything can happen.
Im stuck between a rock and a hard place,How can I go to the barn and face the "CHAMP" knowing I may sell him.The only reason I would sell him is so he can breed. This guy has also told me if I dont sell him, He WILL claim him his next race...WHAT should I do?

Run him in a $100K claimer. :D

It's tough when pleasure accidentally mixes in with business (i.e. him becoming a "pet"). Sounds like since money is not an issue, it's up to your own gut feeling as to which path you take to best accomplish your goal of getting him to stud. Best of luck.

Bill

CryingForTheHorses
07-14-2004, 02:28 PM
They dont have starter races here CJ and the guy told me if they had to claim him he would run at Calder till the end of the meet, Then he could leave the state and run, If i sold him he could run in Ill next week, I could run AIR COOL over his head but what for?, I want to win if I run, I dont go to a race for show.I also look at it this way...A new guy would be under a lot of pressure to continue his winning ways,Lots of things to make a horse run on all 12 cylinders,At least this guy has 12.

chickenhead
07-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Lets see if 40 of us get involved, can I get in for under $1,000 a year??

Every trainers worst nightmare! A horse owned by 40 opinionated handicappers...

charleslanger
07-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Since the money is kind of superfluous here, and if you have a good feeling about the guy:

I would tell the guy you'd prefer an equal Air Cool + one of his other horses partnership, which would also include all future breeding--
... he can call all the shots.

OR: you'll turn horse over to him for $0 in exchange for you being 50%(or 49%) owner(including all future breeding), and trainer(if you want to scope out Illinois with your stable).

The horse can just as easily be claimed from him, though-- is he planning to re-claim each time, only run in starter races? The answer to this may alert you to possible races / purses you could exploit with your present stable.

I see several potential benefits here: two chances each year to hit a breeding home run, possibly get other horses to train- maybe even an Ocala baby, get to see what's so good up in Ill that draws the guy back there(rather than claiming, staying in Calder & vanning to Ocala later on....)

All the best to you.....

kenwoodallpromos
07-15-2004, 03:00 AM
Sell him for the $12,500 Plus free stud service twice a year with guaranteed pregnancy for 5 years at Ocala- then you can claim nice mares, race them, breed them, and sell them pregnant.

Dancer's Image
07-15-2004, 11:14 AM
McSchell,
Of course it's entirely up to you, but since you asked, I would advise you to sell Air Cool for the 12.5K. Hell, that's 4.5K profit in 2 days since you could have lost him for 8K on monday. Next time you're in the barn with the Champ, tell him he's being rewarded for all his wins by being put out to stud...that's better than a carrot! LOL