PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Thursday, August 18

Teach
08-18-2016, 11:33 AM
Race One:

A claiming turf route. For just about everyone of these horses this is 11-panels grass race is taking them to unchartered "waters". Who can get the distance? Well, I like :4: Dream Man. This Unbridled's Song-bred has solid turf pedigree on both the top and bottom. In his last, almost one month ago, this 8 year-old gelding was a closing second at "The Spa" to Procurement (many of these horses came out of that race). Simply by default, I'm leaning powerfully toward this grey gelding; he appears to have the stamina to get the job done. Junior Alvarado for Gary Contessa. Others: :1: , :2: , :5:

Race Two:

:10: Shadow Rider, a Giant's Causeway-bred, is my choice in this lower-level n3L 7-panels claimer. This "in-between" distance (is he/she a router or a sprinter) can be tough to handicap; yet, in my opinion, the horse that stands out is Shadow Rider. Frankly, I'm not sure all the horses in nthe field can "get" the distance; yet I firmly believe this gelding can. A drop in class. A sharp recent workout. Irad in the irons. Who could ask for anything more? Ordinarily I'd say, "I'm not crazy about his last route race." Yet, against this bunch. I believe he sticks out. Gary Contessa trains. Does the Merrick, NY native condition winners in both halves of the early double? Others: :11: , :9: :2:

Race Three:

:6: Blenheim Palace is my pick in this MSW sprint. THis Medaglia d'Oro-bred filly went off as the favorite in her most recent "Spa" race at the end of July; the filly finished a disappointing third, 8 and 1/2 lengths off the winner. But that race was seven panels, the one-furlong cut-back should help. So too should the services of Jose Ortiz and trainer "Shug" McGaughey. "Shug" does very well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last race. Others: :3: , :1a: , :2:

Race Four:

:5: One Sided is my choice in this OC n2x. This 4 year-old bay colt could not get the job against New York state-bred allowance types in his last. Yet, with this bunch, I believe this Todd Pletcher-trainee has a solid chances of getting all the enchiladas. The Hall of Famer, Johnny V., is in the irons. Others: :3: , :1: , :7:

Race Five:

In this MSW state-bred turf sprint, my tepid pick is Paco Lopez's mount, :8: Sharp Lacey. Sharp Lacey is a 2 year-old bay filly with Freud and Storm Cat breeding on her sire's side. To add to my approval of her chances, this filly "bulleted" three panels in 36-flat. She's got the early speed; she's got a decent turf pedigree; she's trained by Gary Contessa (I should mention that Contessa has only a 4% conditioning rate for turf debut horses under his tutelage. Others: :8: , :6: , :4:

Race Six:

An upset try in this MSW main-track, state-bred sprint. My selection :10: Blame the Thief. This aptly-named Arch-bred colt sizzled a solid "bullet" morning work-tab bullet about a week ago at Monmouth. This Blame-bred covered the five panels in one minute and three ticks, breezing. That speaks volumes. Yet, can this colt translate that excellent work to todays pari-mutuel race? Tim Hill trains; he does well with MSWs. Paco Lopez is in the irons. Others: :3: , :8: , :6:

Race Seven:

A seven-panels allowance, n1x. My choice: :7: Malibu Stacy. This Tiznow-bred filly just missed in the Grade III Victory Ride at Belmont in early July. This Malibu Moon-bred filly now faces the kind of competition she should prevail over. This filly's recent morning work-tab has been very good. Manny Franco rides for the most capable conditioner, George Weaver. Others: :4: , :5: , :1:

Race Eight:

:7: Night Officer ships in from Pimlico after a lengthy hiatus away from the pari-mutuel seen. When last seen on the racetrack, this 8 year-old was pinched at the start but angled nicely in the stretch and finished a fast-closing fourth. This gelding simply ran out of terra firma in that one. In today's race, a 5 and 1/2 panels turf sprint, this gelding gets a half-panel stretch, that should enhance his chances. So too should the services of the "Pride of Trujillo Alto," Puerto Rico, Jose Ortiz. Bruce Brown is this gelding's conditioner. Brown does well with shippers. Others: :1: , :2: , :4:

Race Nine:

In this non-graded Union Avenue 100k sprint for New York state-breds, my choice is a ML longshot, :8: Familyofroses. This 6 year-old grey mare won her last, downstate, at Belmont in mid-July. She's been a most consistent sort having finished either first or second in all of her most recent pari-mutuel races. The mare's conditioner, Neal Terracciano, doesn't saddle many; yet, he does very well with winners of their last race. Johnny V. is in the irons. Others: :7: , :6: , :3:

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf sprint, I'm taking "a walk on the wild side" with this admittedly gambler's throw, :6: Shout Bay. The turf pedigree in this Pulpit-bred is sufficiently good to merit consideration. Yes, her pilot, "Double-A," Angel Arroyo, though capable, is not exactly having a resounding meet (they always say: "You need to be aboard live horses"). Well, this horse may just be "live". I'll be looking forward to "The Mig's" assessment as he "glims" this gelding and others warming up on the racetrack. Trainer Greg DiPrima does well with the limited number of horses in his barn. DiPrima does particularly well, albeit with a limited sampling, with his first-time turf starters. Others: :3:, :4: , :8:

citygoat
08-18-2016, 12:47 PM
1 6
2 12
3 1
4 7
5 5
6 8
7 5
8 8
9 6
10 7