PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan

Tom
08-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Great documentary about him on PBS last night.
Nice to see how real presidents used to act.

I was reminded of a few famous quotes by past presidents.....

"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself."

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

"The anchor in our world today is freedom, holding us steady in times of change, a symbol of hope to all the world."

"I can hear you! I can hear you! The rest of the world hears you! And the people -- and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon!"

"You, uh, uh, you didn't build that."

chadk66
08-18-2016, 09:18 AM
don't forget "but that's not who we are" :lol:

Inner Dirt
08-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Reagan will always be the favorite president in my lifetime, he also was the first one I voted for. Quite a difference between him and the spineless coward Carter that came before him. Obama and his divisiveness is so bad he makes Carter look good.

chadk66
08-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Reagan will always be the favorite president in my lifetime, he also was the first one I voted for. Quite a difference between him and the spineless coward Carter that came before him. Obama and his divisiveness is so bad he makes Carter look good.There is nobody in the world more thankful for Obama than Carter:lol:

jk3521
08-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Did they show any scenes from "Bonzo goes to college" ?

horses4courses
08-18-2016, 11:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpUtav6W8AAy7wY.jpg

ElKabong
08-18-2016, 11:39 PM
All in all, the best president of my lifetime. Go ahead and take your best shots at him. You'll never offset the greatness.

MONEY
08-18-2016, 11:46 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpUtav6W8AAy7wY.jpg
You do know that Reagan is dead & not running for president, RIGHT?

JustRalph
08-18-2016, 11:57 PM
All in all, the best president of my lifetime. Go ahead and take your best shots at him. You'll never offset the greatness.

The good outweighed the bad by a mile. 👍

Clocker
08-19-2016, 01:05 AM

The 'best shots' guys like horsey post here are often bald faced lies, including at least some of the stuff in the latest Looney Tunes cartoon above. But he doesn't care, just throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.

Parkview_Pirate
08-19-2016, 07:12 AM
Reagan is an enigma for me. I wanted to support John Connally in 1980 (the first election I could vote in), but he dropped out early. I was fearful that Reagan would get us in a shooting war, and I'd be slugging it out with Charlie in some ditch in El Salvador - plus I'd have to go to church on Sundays.

Then Reagan got elected, got sworn in, forgot who Jerry Falwell was, got shot and started spending money on defense. Since I went into the military after college, I was happy by then to have a job.

Reagan could give a great speech, and make you feel proud to be an American. And while he gets credit for bringing down the USSR, he certainly didn't do a good job of eradicating the form of Communism that infects our country today. As a matter of fact, with the fall of the USSR, many of us good citizens let our guard down.

Reagan also did next to nothing to reform Washington DC's spending problems, and his policies completely reversed some of the conservation and energy policies that briefly took root in the 1970s. Many of those chickens are coming home to roost now, and I suspect 25 years from now there won't be nearly as many Reagan fans as there are today. (even taking into account the demographic losses due to age).

Tom
08-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Bonzo movies were very good stuff.
Shows his versatility.

Racetrack Playa
08-19-2016, 08:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Killer Mike Says it better than I can :eek:

jk3521
08-19-2016, 01:09 PM
The most popular Presidents are the ones who fooled the most people! :D

People forget that he was after all "an actor". He acted as if he was a good President and the public believed him. :D

Tom
08-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Lots to believe, if you paid attention.
He did real things, not make believe stuff that the media reports on.

His list of real accomplishments stand in the face of his deniers.
The only real issues at that time were the Iranian hostages, the Cold War, and the economy.

All turned out very much improved by his presidency.

biggestal99
08-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Iran-Contra anyone? People complain about Obama paid a cash ransom for hostages.

Only Ronnie did it with weapons not cash.

Or his cut and run from Lebanon.

you have to judge a presidency overall, not just the good or bad part (and yes there are positives and negatives for each President.)

Allan

JustRalph
08-19-2016, 02:55 PM
I was in the military when Reagan's budgets hit. We went from jump starting every car in the fleet, including the combat vehicles, to driving brand new equipment in 18 months.

He did an end run around Congress on weapons etc. almost every damn conviction was overturned on appeal. Very hard to judge a Prez on who and what he gives to other countries. The players change so fast you can't judge what our interests are today, versus in the past.

He turned Jimmy Carter's shit economy around and setup the conditions that ushered in the computer age.

I don't care to argue it.....I lived it

_______
08-19-2016, 03:20 PM
I'm surprised anyone can find anything bad to say about a President who presented an optimistic vision of the best America had to offer the world.

Even his strongest political opponents liked him personally.

We certainly live in a different world where politics is about personal destruction and the path to power is now paved with dark visions of a bleak future.

What the hell happened to us?

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Well, there you go again.

He was flawed like the rest of us, but his respect for the office has been lost on the current disaster residing there now.

And Hillary who wants you to say, "I'm with her." She has no idea what a despicable phrase that it. The President works for us -- temporarily -- in OUR White House. Reagan understood he was a temporary boarder.

I'm glad Trump finally picked up on Hillary's despicable phrase and properly turned it around to, "I'm with you."

chadk66
08-19-2016, 07:01 PM
The 'best shots' guys like horsey post here are often bald faced lies, including at least some of the stuff in the latest Looney Tunes cartoon above. But he doesn't care, just throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.exactly. and it's a complete waste of time to straighten him out. he is far too drunk on the kool-aid.

horses4courses
08-19-2016, 08:08 PM
The 'best shots' guys like horsey post here are often bald faced lies, including at least some of the stuff in the latest Looney Tunes cartoon above. But he doesn't care, just throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.

It serves it's purpose merely by pissing you off. :lol:

chadk66
08-19-2016, 08:23 PM
libtards used to piss me off with their stupidity. now I just use it for comic relief.

JustRalph
08-19-2016, 08:25 PM

Interesting confession........

horses4courses
08-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Interesting confession........

Hardly a surprise.
Imagine what you could get out of me with a little waterboarding :rolleyes:

Clocker
08-19-2016, 09:09 PM

You admit to posting lies to try to piss people off?

Sorry, it doesn't. It only amuses and amazes me that anyone could believe that nonsense or think that anyone of any intelligence would believe it.

Clocker
08-19-2016, 09:12 PM
Hardly a surprise.

Probably can't get much more with waterboarding out of a guppy that swallows the lib propaganda hook, line, and sinker. :cool:

Tom
08-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Iran-Contra anyone? People complain about Obama paid a cash ransom for hostages.

Only Ronnie did it with weapons not cash. Different times, different circumstances. Reagan did it to free hostages, OBama did it to enable a nuclear-Iran. Not remotely close to each other.

Or his cut and run from Lebanon. Different times. The #1 threat was the USSR, not terrorism. He did right by USING the muslims to help defeat the Evil Empire.

you have to judge a presidency overall, not just the good or bad part (and yes there are positives and negatives for each President.) Ended the cold war, got rid of the Iron Curtain and the Berlin wall......pretty damn good stuff. His bad stuff was minor.

Allan

Reagan was the best we have had in our lifetime.

Tom
08-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Clocker

A man's got to know his limitations.
He is being all that he can be.

OntheRail
08-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Hardly a surprise.
Your not worth... the waste of water.

horses4courses
08-20-2016, 10:38 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqSmYKIW8AAE_qs.jpg

OntheRail
08-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Not a Drop... for the drip.

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Another biased left wing interpretation of events for which they know nothing.

Make the fonts even bigger next time, so we can laugh even louder.

Same old. Same old.

Clocker
08-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Another biased left wing interpretation of events for which they know nothing.

Standard revision of history to fit the Narrative. The president of Pakistan was killed in that crash. The US did not initially take part in the investigation because of fear of upsetting the political stability of Pakistan. The FBI did eventually send investigators at the invitation of Pakistan.

Actor
08-20-2016, 11:07 PM
"You, uh, uh, you didn't build that."KjmjqlOPd6A
JhmdEq3JhoY

ElKabong
08-21-2016, 12:54 AM

My opinion of you is that you're a fart in the wind....Inconsequential, yet trying so hard to be an irritant.

A moderator may jump on me for posting that, but your quote above defined you as such....mildly annoying, but soon to be forgotten. No reasonable content whatsoever.

So many lefties here, so little fresh air.

Like I said, Reagan's greatness won't be offset. Try as you might with cartoons and such

reckless
08-21-2016, 07:03 AM
KjmjqlOPd6A
JhmdEq3JhoY

If you want to watch and listen to a real dope and clown, here's a real gem. That poor kid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxxxGUeZtno

barn32
08-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Reagan was the best we have had in our lifetime.What was wrong with Eisenhower?

chadk66
08-21-2016, 09:15 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqSmYKIW8AAE_qs.jpgonly thing worse would be if he went golfing right?

Tom
08-21-2016, 09:45 AM
What was wrong with Eisenhower?

For you and me, he was in our lifetime.
For many, he is a history lesson! :D

No, he was good. Thanks him for our roadway system - instrumental in our economic growth to come.

I was too young to remember a lot, but I do remember my parents complaining that all he did was play golf!

Deja vu! :D

jk3521
08-21-2016, 11:01 AM
KjmjqlOPd6A
JhmdEq3JhoY

Gotta love him. :D

chadk66
08-21-2016, 11:41 AM
I like Biden's "my old butt buddy" gaff better.

Tom
08-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Big difference between a gaf and a stupid intentional statement, as Obama made.

Nice try, but you need to polish your work a lot more than this F grade post.

Inner Dirt
08-21-2016, 01:37 PM
Big difference between a gaf and a stupid intentional statement, as Obama made.

Nice try, but you need to polish your work a lot more than this F grade post.

Exactly, how you can equate someone demeaning business owners (Obama) to someone tripping over their tongue (Bush) is beyond me. Of course liberal logic defies common sense.

Tom
08-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Liberals lack the cognitive abilities to see how things relate to each other.
They are not mathematically inclined to understand things like degree.
Their minds are not developed to the point of being able to judge things. They are at the recognition stage of development. Going to take a few more generations of evolution.

Actor
08-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Bonzo movies were very good stuff.
Shows his versatility.He was not in Bonzo Goes to College. He was in Bedtime for Bonzo.

Everybody mentions Bedtime for Bonzo. No one ever mentions King's Row, which was nominated for Best Picture, but the Academy snubbed Reagan for Best Actor.

He was great in the re-make of The Killers, his last picture and the only one where he ever played the villain.

JustRalph
08-28-2016, 03:15 PM
He was not in Bonzo Goes to College. He was in Bedtime for Bonzo.

Everybody mentions Bedtime for Bonzo. No one ever mentions King's Row, which was nominated for Best Picture, but the Academy snubbed Reagan for Best Actor.

He was great in the re-make of The Killers, his last picture and the only one where he ever played the villain.

Kings Row performance was great. The movie was very good. Glad to hear someone recognize it

_______
08-28-2016, 03:35 PM
If they talked about Jimmy Stewart the way people talk about Reagan's acting career, you'd only hear about Airport '77. Robert De Niro's defining role would be Meet the Fockers.

Meanwhile Keanu Reeves exists in real time.