PDA

View Full Version : Calvin's Comin' Back

Shelby
08-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Marty McGee ‏@DRFMcGee 47m47 minutes ago
To little surprise, HOF jockey @CalvinHBorel to resume riding in late August @EllisParkRacing. "Retired" abruptly in March. F.Bernis, agent.

------------------------

I don't know why he retired, but I'm excited to have him back! He's one of my favorites.

the little guy
08-15-2016, 09:34 AM
There will be worse news today, but this is not a good start.

:D

Donttellmeshowme
08-15-2016, 10:19 AM
There will be worse news today, but this is not a good start

:D

I dont know if your joking or being serious?

Tall One
08-15-2016, 10:54 AM

Both..;)

Fager Fan
08-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Obviously something was going on with him. He's practically assured of one big mount in one important race one day a year, so if you're him, you don't retire just before the first Saturday in May.

SuperPickle
08-15-2016, 03:46 PM

I'm not going to try and speak for Andy but this is sad for a variety of reasons. These guys simple don't know when to throw it in. Gary Stevens coming back and winning a Classic doesn't help either. But you got guys like Calvin, David Flores and CNak who want to ride but their simply isn't a demand for their services. This isn't like a sports league where you're told you're done. You can always ride somewhere. You just keep working your way down the ladder.

The three guys above won just about every important race outside of the Classic and now they're hanging on riding cheap horses. Combine that with Kieron Fallon a guy who was a champion jockey in Europe for a decade riding at Indiana Downs at a 3% win clip this year. It's sad.

Calvin was a great rider but his body is shot and he's got his demons too. Watching him ride $5K claimers at a third rate track to end his career will be sad.

PhantomOnTour
08-15-2016, 05:51 PM
He never actually retired. He was so far back that he wasn't on the screen anymore and folks thought he was gone. He'll be coming up the rail any second now.

EMD4ME
08-15-2016, 05:58 PM
I'd love to see his ego battling Javier (in more ways than one) this fall at Belmont.

Forget Ellis. Come to Belmont and come up the rail on the ole boys.

SuperPickle
08-15-2016, 06:25 PM
I'd love to see his ego battling Javier (in more ways than one) this fall at Belmont.

Forget Ellis. Come to Belmont and come up the rail on the ole boys.

I might be slightly wrong but I literally don't think he's won a race at Belmont in over something like 15 years if ever. I remember specifically his bad riding stats at Belmont are bought up each June.

But hey Mike Luzzi needs someone to keep himself entertained in the jockey's room all day and Calvin is a character.

PhantomOnTour
08-15-2016, 06:28 PM
I might be slightly wrong but I literally don't think he's won a race at Belmont in over something like 15 years if ever. I remember specifically his bad riding stats at Belmont are bought up each June.

But hey Mike Luzzi needs someone to keep himself entertained in the jockey's room all day and Calvin is a character.
I know he won the Mother Goose on Rachel Alexandra there in 2009, but I can't remember any other wins at Belmont

EMD4ME
08-15-2016, 06:43 PM

I was being sarcastic boys....Here's why....

3ZHjiPtbivA

EMD4ME
08-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Other factor is: When Calvin rode at Belmont, it wasn't his A track.

If he makes it his A track, he will naturally pick up some mounts. Not as much as others but some mounts.

I'd love to see an outsider riding at NYRA. It could only spruce things up a bit.

Fager Fan
08-15-2016, 06:50 PM
I'm not going to try and speak for Andy but this is sad for a variety of reasons. These guys simple don't know when to throw it in. Gary Stevens coming back and winning a Classic doesn't help either. But you got guys like Calvin, David Flores and CNak who want to ride but their simply isn't a demand for their services. This isn't like a sports league where you're told you're done. You can always ride somewhere. You just keep working your way down the ladder.

The three guys above won just about every important race outside of the Classic and now they're hanging on riding cheap horses. Combine that with Kieron Fallon a guy who was a champion jockey in Europe for a decade riding at Indiana Downs at a 3% win clip this year. It's sad.

Calvin was a great rider but his body is shot and he's got his demons too. Watching him ride $5K claimers at a third rate track to end his career will be sad.

Didn't he always stay in KY? So he's returning where he left.

I don't find anything sad about it. They love riding, so they're doing what they love while still bringing home a decent paycheck. What's sad are Ramon and others who ache to ride but can't.

EMD4ME
08-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Didn't he always stay in KY? So he's returning where he left.

I don't find anything sad about it. They love riding, so they're doing what they love while still bringing home a decent paycheck. What's sad are Ramon and others who ache to ride but can't.

Don't remind me :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :bang: :bang: :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Tall One
08-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Believe he wintered at Oaklawn..maybe a cup of coffee at Fair Grounds?

Shelby
08-15-2016, 09:39 PM
A few of you guys are brutally mean.

This article today states he wanted a break. He went to Florida...didn't work out. Now he's ready to ride again.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/214246/calvin-borel-to-come-out-of-retirement

OntheRail
08-16-2016, 12:48 AM
I was being sarcastic boys....Here's why....

3ZHjiPtbivA
Well if you consider what happened the following year... it was like Calvin knew this was AU Miner's year. Never seen him so full of rage.

That said... Happy He's Back. ;)

menifee
08-16-2016, 02:35 AM
I've never understood the point of people "retiring." I don't know about Borel, but how many athletes have made big pronouncements that their done only to return months later. In horse racing, Stevens, Borel, Sutherland, etc. In other sports, Phelps, Favre, Jordan, many boxers.

Heck, my father was a teacher for 35 years. He retired and had a big party with all his former students and colleagues. You would think he won the Nobel prize. The following year another school district needed a teacher and gave him a nice incentive to come back. So he did. I constantly gave him shit about it.

The concept of retirement is silly - there's no finality in life other than death. People leave jobs for various reasons - financial, emotional, physical, mental break. Most of them are still quite capable at doing the same job or another. Why we need to label their departure as the end is baffling.

Fager Fan
08-16-2016, 09:17 AM
A few of you guys are brutally mean.

This article today states he wanted a break. He went to Florida...didn't work out. Now he's ready to ride again.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/214246/calvin-borel-to-come-out-of-retirement

My only negative opinion about his retirement (that's what he termed it, not us) is that he screwed over some people at the time. He was scheduled to work and ride some horses, and he just disappeared on them.

Donttellmeshowme
08-16-2016, 04:36 PM
My only negative opinion about his retirement (that's what he termed it, not us) is that he screwed over some people at the time. He was scheduled to work and ride some horses, and he just disappeared on them.

That can be said of most jockeys

Tara73
08-17-2016, 01:13 AM
Calvin in the Hall of Fame. What a joke.

Grits
08-17-2016, 09:47 AM

And the chances of you saying anything POSITIVE, here at Pace Advantage, about anyone in this sport? :rolleyes:

Absolutely, the biggest joke of all.

Fager Fan
08-17-2016, 10:09 AM

The Hall of Fame isn't the Hall of Greats, where maybe 40 horses and 20 jockeys get in. Fame means famous. They made an impact on the sport. They were among the elite, or they set some unusual records. Calvin isn't a great rider, but he has won a lot of Kentucky Derbys. He deserves to be in there.