PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Spa card decimated by scratches

thespaah
08-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Not to berate this subject, but for crying out loud. I have seen bunches of scratches for off the turf, but today may have set a record.
At first glance it appeared less than half the horses that made it past the early scratch time, did not leave the barn.....
That's not good.

cj
08-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Stakes horses scratching for off turf is one thing, maiden claimers doing it quite another.

EMD4ME
08-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Stakes horses scratching for off turf is one thing, maiden claimers doing it quite another.

How could all those horses scratch in race 10? no one wanted an easy check for running 3rd? 2nd? At worst 4th?

I could've gotten 3rd in that race.

therussmeister
08-14-2016, 11:47 PM
If a horse ran today they might not get another crack at the Saratoga turf course this year. By the time they are ready to run again the meet is almost over.

the little guy
08-15-2016, 12:08 AM
If a horse ran today they might not get another crack at the Saratoga turf course this year. By the time they are ready to run again the meet is almost over.

Given the level of the horses in the 10th race on Sunday, I think they easily could have run back again.

SandyW
08-15-2016, 03:59 AM
Given the level of the horses in the 10th race on Sunday, I think they easily could have run back again.

Agreed, where are the horses that use to race every two weeks??

Dahoss9698
08-15-2016, 07:21 AM
I realize this is more of a results based question because of what happened...but do racing by secretaries look at extended forecasts when carding races?

I ask because the forecast for the weekend had been terrible all week. Scary to trust meteorologists,I get that. But still, I wonder if yesterday wouldn't have been so impacted by scratches if more dirt races than turf were carded.

Tom
08-15-2016, 07:25 AM
God forbid a horse run twice in the same month.
They risk the possibility of......fitness! :eek::eek::eek:

Ruffian1
08-15-2016, 07:53 AM
I realize this is more of a results based question because of what happened...but do racing by secretaries look at extended forecasts when carding races?

I ask because the forecast for the weekend had been terrible all week. Scary to trust meteorologists,I get that. But still, I wonder if yesterday wouldn't have been so impacted by scratches if more dirt races than turf were carded.

No. They set the book about a 3-4 weeks in advance.

It takes that long to be printed and given out so owners and trainers have the next 2 weeks of races about 10 days or more before the book starts.

burnsy
08-15-2016, 09:02 AM
The weather is a tough commodity in upstate NY. The beautiful Adirondack landscape and the weather are what sells up here. The problem is when Mother Nature turns the other cheek.........it can get really ugly once in a while. That's just the way it is and has always been. We are in foothills, it can't be helped and that track takes a beating when it happens. You can't blame people for protecting their stock. You turn the page and get a week like this one is going to be. 90% of the time its clear sailing....the rest, deal with it.

affirmedny
08-15-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't understand why "main track only" horses are allowed to scratch when the race is transferred to the main track, unless they're injured or sick of course.

thespaah
08-15-2016, 11:50 PM
I don't understand why "main track only" horses are allowed to scratch when the race is transferred to the main track, unless they're injured or sick of course.
I am with you there 100%
I keep having to bring up this point.
On the harness side, it is much more difficult to scratch.
If a trainer wants to scratch he or she must have valid reason.
A vet must examine the horse. The vet can recommend two types "Lame" or "Sick"....The only other type of scratch allowed is "Judges".....The judges may scratch for improper entry, late to the grounds ( if shipping in), failure to comply with credential rules( licenses, insurances in order)
Outside of that, the horse goes to the paddock to race.
I would like to see the Thoroughbreds have the same or similar rules.