PDA

View Full Version : Tim Tebow MLB

highnote
08-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Tebow should forget about trying to play in the major leagues.

He should switch to Rugby Sevens and try to help U.S. win a gold medal in 2020.

He would be perfect for Rugby Sevens -- size, speed, strengths, athleticism.

He would be a global star, not just a U.S. star.

Tor Ekman
08-11-2016, 08:23 PM
He should head north - Canadian Football

EMD4ME
08-11-2016, 08:31 PM

I say become a jockey :D

highnote
08-11-2016, 08:35 PM

For whatever reason, he won't do play Canadian football. Warren Moon and Doug Flutie had good success in Canada. They honed their craft and became excellent NFL QBs.

Tebow is perfect for Rugby Sevens. He would become an internationally known athlete and he could help the U.S. win a gold medal in 2020. He seems to crave the spotlight more than he needs money.

He would make a fortune just from endorsements if he played Rugby Sevens.

MutuelClerk
08-11-2016, 08:48 PM
Seems like a church league is the perfect fit....

JustRalph
08-11-2016, 09:03 PM
Why go to Canada when he makes money as an announcer and analyst here? He's also on a tv show in prime time.

I hope he makes it in baseball.......

highnote
08-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Why go to Canada when he makes money as an announcer and analyst here? He's also on a tv show in prime time.

I hope he makes it in baseball.......

It would be fun to see him play in the majors. But I still think he would be great at Rugby Sevens.

Nate Ebner plays for the NE Patriots and also plays on the U.S. Rugby Sevens Olympic team. He is an outstanding rugby player. He scored their final goal and they almost made it to the medal round, but needed two more points. Ebner missed the extra point kick that would have gotten them into the semis.

kingfin66
08-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Is there anybody out there who actually thinks Tebow can be a baseball player other than Tebow himself? He still thinks be can be an NFL quarterback as well. There are guys out there who were good players in college who could not hit a lick in even the lowest levels of the minor leagues. Russell Wilson is one guy that comes to mind. I cannot envision any team signing Tebow except as a publicity stunt.

Baseball is a hard game.

highnote
08-11-2016, 09:55 PM
Is there anybody out there who actually thinks Tebow can be a baseball player other than Tebow himself? He still thinks be can be an NFL quarterback as well. There are guys out there who were good players in college who could not hit a lick in even the lowest levels of the minor leagues. Russell Wilson is one guy that comes to mind. I cannot envision any team signing Tebow except as a publicity stunt.

Baseball is a hard game.

If he ends up getting a contract, but getting sent down to minors, how will he feel about riding on a cramped bus to the games and sleeping in flea bag hotels?

ronsmac
08-11-2016, 10:33 PM
For whatever reason, he won't do play Canadian football. Warren Moon and Doug Flutie had good success in Canada. They honed their craft and became excellent NFL QBs.

Tebow is perfect for Rugby Sevens. He would become an internationally known athlete and he could help the U.S. win a gold medal in 2020. He seems to crave the spotlight more than he needs money.

He would make a fortune just from endorsements if he played Rugby Sevens.Moon and Flutie were both good enough to play in the Nfl without going to Canada.

JustRalph
08-11-2016, 11:21 PM

Baseball is a hard game.

I've read two scouts who were following him before he quit playing, that have come out and said they think he has a real shot. Russell Wilson gets invited to spring training every year. He must have something going on.......

highnote
08-12-2016, 03:22 AM
Moon and Flutie were both good enough to play in the Nfl without going to Canada.
Moon and Flutie both got better by getting CFL experience.

Valuist
08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
Moon and Flutie were both good enough to play in the Nfl without going to Canada.

Moon? Definitely. Flutie? You take the 1986 Chicago Bears defense, which statistically was BETTER than the 1985 defense, but replace Jim McMahon with Flutie against the Redskins and what happens? The Redskins win.

Flutie had 3 seasons in the NFL starting 10 or more games. His QB ratings for those seasons? 87, 75 and 72. That is a guy who should not be starting in the NFL.

Tor Ekman
08-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Undrafted Jeff Garcia is probably the best example of a guy who honed his skills in the CFL as pathway to the NFL, which showed no interest in Garcia coming out of college. Joe Theismann also went that route but his opting for the CFL was driven by contract negotiations. Joe Kapp is another guy opted for the CFL after the Redskins drafted him but didn't offer him a contract.

kingfin66
08-12-2016, 09:27 PM
I've read two scouts who were following him before he quit playing, that have come out and said they think he has a real shot. Russell Wilson gets invited to spring training every year. He must have something going on.......

I would be willing to read that if you can post links. Factually speaking, he hit .230 in the Northwest League (short season A) and .228 in the South Atlantic League (low A). This demonstrated lack of talent at the professional baseball level earned him a release and he made a great decision to return to college football. NC State did not want him back and he landed at Wisconsin. The rest is history. His other option would have been to continue to pursue his baseball dreams by playing in a semi-pro league for a team such as Vic's Pittsurg Diamonds. Those leagues/teams are filled with guys who were not good enough to make it. Any scout who seriously thinks he can be a major league baseball player should not be a scout.

Please don't take this as me trying to tear Russell down. I live in the Seattle area and absolutely love him. The best things that have happened to Seattle football in the recent past are Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson. As far as being a baseball player goes, I would say that Russ is a helluva an NFL quarterback.

As far as his spring training invitations go, you do understand that he has been in the Texas Rangers camp for like one or two days at a time right? He takes some grounders, signs autographs, does not appear in games, and then goes back to what he was doing before camp. He does not attend camp as a serious player trying to make the team. I can provide links about these experiences, but they are very easy to find.

JustRalph
08-12-2016, 09:57 PM
http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/08/tim_tebow_was_like_kirk_gibson_had_1st-round_poten.html

Here's one.....

kingfin66
08-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Cool, thanks for that. You can probably tell from my response that I got more focused on Wilson than Tebow and thought that is who you were referring to. That is a good scouting report on Tebow. It's too bad it has been so long since he played baseball. My guess is that he will work a personal coach for a while and then arrange a private tryout for teams to scout him. Somebody will likely take a flyer on him because of who he is, but he would be a long, long shot to ever sniff the major leagues at this point. The best point of reference for him may be Rick Ankiel, a former left-handed pitching phenom who developed Steve Blass disease and also blew out his elbow. He reinvented himself as a hitter and had a successful career as an OF.

JustRalph
08-13-2016, 12:30 AM
Ankiel was a great story. I followed him for a while.

Robert Fischer
08-14-2016, 02:39 AM
Gut tells me that this is Tim, and the folks who manage Tim Tebow Inc., maximizing the value of his 'brand'.

Remember that for all the millions of comments from sports fans that start with "Tebow should...", that he has no need for our advice, and he's 29 years old, making a great living as a football analyst, has some other media gigs and endorsement deals and net worth probably between 5-10 million dollars.

If he is somehow fully committed to an actual baseball career?
My eye says it would take him 3 minor league seasons to be a poor-man's Brett Gardner.

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-14-2016, 10:36 AM
I would be willing to read that if you can post links. Factually speaking, he hit .230 in the Northwest League (short season A) and .228 in the South Atlantic League (low A). This demonstrated lack of talent at the professional baseball level earned him a release and he made a great decision to return to college football. NC State did not want him back and he landed at Wisconsin. The rest is history. His other option would have been to continue to pursue his baseball dreams by playing in a semi-pro league for a team such as Vic's Pittsurg Diamonds. Those leagues/teams are filled with guys who were not good enough to make it. Any scout who seriously thinks he can be a major league baseball player should not be a scout.

Please don't take this as me trying to tear Russell down. I live in the Seattle area and absolutely love him. The best things that have happened to Seattle football in the recent past are Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson. As far as being a baseball player goes, I would say that Russ is a helluva an NFL quarterback.

As far as his spring training invitations go, you do understand that he has been in the Texas Rangers camp for like one or two days at a time right? He takes some grounders, signs autographs, does not appear in games, and then goes back to what he was doing before camp. He does not attend camp as a serious player trying to make the team. I can provide links about these experiences, but they are very easy to find.

While those numbers and facts support your opinion, who gets hurt if he tries? I don't support the notion that the other kids are negatively impacted. Competition should make you try harder.

JustRalph
07-13-2017, 11:16 PM
Tebow batting .320

Hits a walk off homer tonight

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/885674643885105152/video/1

Or here via espn

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20016267/tim-tebow-plays-home-run-hero-st-lucie-walks-7th

kingfin66
07-14-2017, 01:19 AM
Limited at bats in high A Florida State League, but yes, his BA and OBP are both good. It is hard to imagine why he was promoted off his poor performance int he Sally League. Wait, no it isn't. There are many fans in Florida who will want to buy his jersey. I am still not imagining him as a major league ball player.

JustRalph
07-14-2017, 01:36 AM
Limited at bats in high A Florida State League, but yes, his BA and OBP are both good. It is hard to imagine why he was promoted off his poor performance int he Sally League. Wait, no it isn't. There are many fans in Florida who will want to buy his jersey. I am still not imagining him as a major league ball player.

I'm not either, but I gotta cheer for the guy.

Valuist
07-14-2017, 10:22 AM
What's most impressive? All three of his HRs at High A have been opposite field. Hitters who look to pull everything end up looking bad often.

highnote
07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Tebow batting .320

Hits a walk off homer tonight

:ThmbUp: