PDA

View Full Version : Last Fence Eliminated in Saratoga Hurdles

PhantomOnTour
08-11-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm late to the party, but have noticed that the final fence is no longer in play over the Sar hurdles.
This makes it basically a flat race for the last 3f or so.

A) do you play these races?
B) does that affect your handicapping?
C) why did they do this? a safety concern??

Admittedly, I sometimes tool around and throw a few bucks at these races. I kinda like them

OTM Al
08-11-2016, 01:39 PM
I'm late to the party, but have noticed that the final fence is no longer in play over the Sar hurdles.
This makes it basically a flat race for the last 3f or so.

A) do you play these races?
B) does that affect your handicapping?
C) why did they do this? a safety concern??

Admittedly, I sometimes tool around and throw a few bucks at these races. I kinda like them
It was for safety or at least the perception of same. I just wish people would stop calling them steeplechases because they are not.

Scanman
08-11-2016, 07:00 PM
I understand why they did it, but I don't like/agree with it. I'm guessing that NYRA and maybe the NSA doesn't want the public to see horses coming down in front of the grandstand.

I hate seeing horses fall, but jumping is the name of the game. If a horse can't jump at pace, then move it back to the flat.

I've seen thousands of jump races and nothing beats watching the athleticism, agility, and speed of two or more horses coming to the last battling it out. Many times, in a contested race, it's the horse that puts in the best jump ends up winning.

Removing the final fence in the stretch dilutes the quality and effect of the race.