PDA

View Full Version : No Olympic Chatter

upthecreek
08-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Isn't anybody interested in the Olympics? I find myself watching 12 hrs. A day! Guess I'm a junkie I've watched just about every event Right now I'm watching mixed doubles badminton LOL I just find it highly entertaining and glad the good ole USA is doing great Horse racing? I don't need any stinking horse racing during these 2 weeks.

Inner Dirt
08-11-2016, 01:18 PM
I can watch anything except gymnastics or synchronized swimming (do they still have that?). I am looking forward to the Track & Field the most.

PhantomOnTour
08-11-2016, 01:20 PM
Indoor volleyball is great to watch, but we don't get much coverage. The action is fast and these folks are athletic.

Beach volleyball? Meh...it's in slow motion. I don't get the appeal...oh yeah, it's chicks in bikinis...my bad.

upthecreek
08-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Indoor volleyball is great to watch, but we don't get much coverage. The action is fast and these folks are athletic.

Beach volleyball? Meh...it's in slow motion. I don't get the appeal...oh yeah, it's chicks in bikinis...my bad.
I've watched a lot of indoor volleyball The Olympics are on 6 different channels,ypu just have to check the schedule

NJ Stinks
08-11-2016, 02:04 PM
First, I must point out that I'm not rooting for the USA most of the time. Just as I don't root for the highest payrolls in baseball - it's the same yardstick in the Olympics.

Second, until I can place a bet on an Olympic event here in the USA, there is no way I don't need horseracing for two weeks. My interest in most Olympic events is below minimal although I am occasionally surprised. The women's bicycle race last weekend is a good example. More often than not I could care less but I got caught up with this race just as they were starting the final descent. It turned out to be an incredible drama that kind of reminded me of a horse race when those three cyclists blew by the American pacesetter 'in the shadow of the wire'. (And yes, I was rooting hard for the American woman to hang on!)

But there are too many events like swimming and gymnastics where I just don't care even if I can and do appreciate the skills of the participants. (I will add that so far today I'm enjoying the golf competition.)

And am I only one who thinks it's ridiculous how many events Phelps has been allowed to enter and win?

upthecreek
08-11-2016, 02:14 PM
I've watched a lot of indoor volleyball The Olympics are on 6 different channels,ypu just have to check the schedule
On MSNBC 2-345 today

upthecreek
08-11-2016, 02:27 PM
First, I must point out that I'm not rooting for the USA most of the time. Just as I don't root for the highest payrolls in baseball - it's the same yardstick in the Olympics.

Second, until I can place a bet on an Olympic event here in the USA, there is no way I don't need horseracing for two weeks. My interest in most Olympic events is below minimal although I am occasionally surprised. The women's bicycle race last weekend is a good example. More often than not I could care less but I got caught up with this race just as they were starting the final descent. It turned out to be an incredible drama that kind of reminded me of a horse race when those three cyclists blew by the American pacesetter 'in the shadow of the wire'. (And yes, I was rooting hard for the American woman to hang on!)

But there are too many events like swimming and gymnastics where I just don't care even if I can and do appreciate the skills of the participants. (I will add that so far today I'm enjoying the golf competition.)

And am I only one who thinks it's ridiculous how many events Phelps has been allowed to enter and win?

I can go 2 weeks w/o wagering Summer racing doesn't interest me Sar -too many 2yo races and stks,I'm a claiming race guy Dmr-dont bet left coast. Mth-home of the 46% wiinning fav. I'll pass I'll take a break and enjoy the competition between the athletes/countries

NJ Stinks
08-11-2016, 05:59 PM
I can go 2 weeks w/o wagering Summer racing doesn't interest me Sar -too many 2yo races and stks,I'm a claiming race guy Dmr-dont bet left coast. Mth-home of the 46% wiinning fav. I'll pass I'll take a break and enjoy the competition between the athletes/countries

I understand your enthusiasm, Upthecreek. Before I got old and cynical I was into it too.

Parkview_Pirate
08-11-2016, 06:35 PM
I understand your enthusiasm, Upthecreek. Before I got old and cynical I was into it too.

I'm definitely cynical about the Olympics. When I was kid back in the '70s, I thought they were amazing. But over the years, factors like the boycotts, the bans, the commercialization, the doping, the politics, and finally - letting pros compete, have all contributed to losing its appeal.

Plus, of course, there's no parimutuel wagering. :)

ronsmac
08-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Isn't anybody interested in the Olympics? I find myself watching 12 hrs. A day! Guess I'm a junkie I've watched just about every event Right now I'm watching mixed doubles badminton LOL I just find it highly entertaining and glad the good ole USA is doing great Horse racing? I don't need any stinking horse racing during these 2 weeks.
I've been watching a couple of hours a night. The women's soccer is what I'm most interested in, but the. U.S. women's team plays while I'm working tomorrow. That bums me out.

zico20
08-11-2016, 10:38 PM
I love the swimming events and the track and field, plus watching the women's soccer team go for gold for the 4th straight time. I am way more interested in the winter olympics than the summer though.

PhantomOnTour
08-11-2016, 11:28 PM
During the Olympics I don't usually watch our "everyday" sports like basketball, soccer, or tennis.

Much more interested in swimming, gymnastics, volleyball etc...

PhantomOnTour
08-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Simone Biles...wow.

Dominant, they said her margin of victory for the All Around gold medal was larger then the combined margins of victory from 1980 thru 2012 :faint:

I had never heard of her until a few days before the Olympics, and only then did I learn how dominant she's been since the 2012 Games.

Congratulations to the the ladies gymnastic squad...won the All Around Team Gold and won the gold and silver in the individual all around.

Right on ladies !

upthecreek
08-12-2016, 11:40 AM
An Ethiopian woman just won the women's 10,000 Meters,shattering the world record by 14 seconds! They better get her to pee in a cup

tucker6
08-12-2016, 11:50 AM
An Ethiopian woman just won the women's 10,000 Meters,shattering the world record by 14 seconds! They better get her to pee in a cup
Just check whether she stands up or sits when peeing.

cj
08-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Breaking a race that long by 14 seconds doesn't sound that unreasonable to me.

Inner Dirt
08-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Watching how she set a torrid pace and kept going in that long of race it is pretty sure the track is sealed with a strong speed bias. It isn't just a rail bias as she was passing people on the outside.

tucker6
08-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Watching how she set a torrid pace and kept going in that long of race it is pretty sure the track is sealed with a strong speed bias. It isn't just a rail bias as she was passing people on the outside.
Was the wind helping or hurting? Did she whip herself near the end? How was her gallop out? When will TFUS figures come out, and will Beyer numbers continue to lag?

upthecreek
08-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Breaking a race that long by 14 seconds doesn't sound that unreasonable to me.

I haven't a clue but the two guys announcing seemed shocked
And the record has stood for 23 years

Inner Dirt
08-12-2016, 01:23 PM
Was the wind helping or hurting? Did she whip herself near the end? How was her gallop out? When will TFUS figures come out, and will Beyer numbers continue to lag?

She used herself hard all the way to the end despite her huge lead and being well ahead of record pace. If see comes back too soon I could see a bounce and some huge mutuels if finishes off the board at 1-9.

upthecreek
08-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Us women in extra time against Sweden,in danger of getting knocked out

upthecreek
08-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Us women in extra time against Sweden,in danger of getting knocked out
They're out !!! Lost on a shootout

ronsmac
08-12-2016, 02:46 PM
Thank God women's soccer isn't as popular as the Nfl or Nba or someone's head would roll.

upthecreek
08-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Watching women's trampoline now :lol:

tucker6
08-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Watching women's trampoline now :lol:
Isn't that a step below wallowing in the gutter?

Marshall Bennett
08-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Gymnastics / Track & field. Not much else does anything for me. :)

upthecreek
08-12-2016, 05:18 PM
Isn't that a step below wallowing in the gutter?

Maybe but it beats listening to Rich Perloff and Scott Hazelton on TVG

Inner Dirt
08-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Maybe but it beats listening to Rich Perloff and Scott Hazelton on TVG

I haven't watched TVG in over 5 years. Does Perloff still take phone calls and condescend to anyone that disagrees with him?

horses4courses
08-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Very proud of our athletes.
One success story after the next. :ThmbUp:

dartman51
08-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Let me just say, Katie Ledecky, is AMAZING. Just watched the 800 meter freestyle. On the last leg, she looked like Secretariat in the Belmont. New world record. :jump:

Inner Dirt
08-12-2016, 10:52 PM
Why in the women's 100 meter dash heats are they using lanes 2-9 instead of 1-8?

stuball
08-13-2016, 08:13 AM
Ya gotta love rowing - talk about excitement- I was on the edge of my couch when they rounded the turn and down the streeeatch they come.

upthecreek
08-13-2016, 08:20 AM
I haven't watched TVG in over 5 years. Does Perloff still take phone calls and condescend to anyone that disagrees with him?
Emails and Twitter and YES!

Clocker
08-13-2016, 10:38 AM
They're out !!! Lost on a shootout

US goalie Hope Solo whined that the Swedish team was a 'bunch of cowards' because they didn't play 'an entertaining game', they forced the US into playing a physical game that favored the Swedes.

Oh my god, isn't that against the rules or something? At the very least, it is unamerican. :eek:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-rio-2016-hope-solo-doesn-t-hold-back-after-u-s-1471031683-htmlstory.html (http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-rio-2016-hope-solo-doesn-t-hold-back-after-u-s-1471031683-htmlstory.html)

PhantomOnTour
08-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Don't know about y'all, but I've had just about enough of Hope Solo.
She's like the Yoko Ono of the Women's National Team...she will ruin them eventually...Yoko Solo !!

upthecreek
08-13-2016, 10:48 AM
She's like the Yoko Ono of the Women's National Team...she will ruin them eventually...Yoko Solo !!
Played like Hans Solo on the shootout

upthecreek
08-13-2016, 10:48 AM
Played like Hans Solo in the shootout :lol:

ronsmac
08-13-2016, 01:51 PM
Played like Hans Solo in the shootout :lol:Loser game show sound.

thaskalos
08-13-2016, 02:27 PM
US goalie Hope Solo whined that the Swedish team was a 'bunch of cowards' because they didn't play 'an entertaining game', they forced the US into playing a physical game that favored the Swedes.

Oh my god, isn't that against the rules or something? At the very least, it is unamerican. :eek:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-rio-2016-hope-solo-doesn-t-hold-back-after-u-s-1471031683-htmlstory.html (http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-rio-2016-hope-solo-doesn-t-hold-back-after-u-s-1471031683-htmlstory.html)
Hope Solo talking about being "respectful to the game". :faint:

upthecreek
08-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Loser game show sound.
For me or Hope???

tucker6
08-13-2016, 04:08 PM
For me or Hope???
Hope

ronsmac
08-13-2016, 05:54 PM
For me or Hope???Bad joke that you doubled down on by correcting your mistake. I'll give you a B for effort. Hope gets the loser game show sound also, but she is still pretty good as a goalie.

ronsmac
08-13-2016, 05:59 PM
An Ethiopian woman just won the women's 10,000 Meters,shattering the world record by 14 seconds! They better get her to pee in a cupThey won't find anything. The dopers are usually smart enough not to get caught in competition. The world record was previously held by a Chinese woman who admitted to doping earlier this year. Until today, no woman had ever come within 22 seconds of the drug tainted world record, so of course this woman cheated. Only a blind man would disagree or the people who defended Lance Armstrong until the bitter end. Phil Liggett anyone?

upthecreek
08-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Bad joke that you doubled down on by correcting your mistake. I'll give you a B for effort. Hope gets the loser game show sound also, but she is still pretty good as a goalie.
Huh what mistake?She did play like HANS SOLO not HOPE SOLO

ronsmac
08-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Huh what mistake?She did play like HANS SOLO not HOPE SOLOOn the shootout in the shootout and Hans solo saved the day in Star Wars. The real goat was Press. She has to be on target . The goalie guessed wrong and she missed a wide open net.

ronsmac
08-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Soccer will never be taken seriously in the U.S. as long as Honduran soccer players are allowed to roll around on the ground for five minutes after barely being pushed.

horses4courses
08-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Soccer will never be taken seriously in the U.S.

Amen to that

Olympic mens' soccer is bush league, anyway.

zico20
08-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Ryan Lochte and three other US members were robbed at gun point. All are safe and cooperating with police. The robbers were disguised as police.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/story/_/id/17299461/usoc-confirms-ryan-lochte-three-other-us-swimmers-robbed-rio

tucker6
08-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Ryan Lochte and three other US members were robbed at gun point. All are safe and cooperating with police. The robbers were disguised as police.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/swimming/story/_/id/17299461/usoc-confirms-ryan-lochte-three-other-us-swimmers-robbed-rio
From that same article. What a shit show.

Last week, a Brazilian security officer was fatally shot after taking a wrong turn into a dangerous favela, or slum. Two Australian rowing coaches were attacked and robbed by two assailants in Ipanema, and Portugal's education minister was held up at knifepoint on a busy street.

In addition, stray bullets have twice landed in the equestrian venue, and two windows were shattered on a bus carrying journalists in an attack that Rio organizers blamed on rocks and others claimed was gunfire.

Grits
08-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Not one to be engrossed in the Olympics. But, this incident, I've watched several times and each time it has bothered me a lot.

How often does anyone admit that their dive was intentional?

... If your feet leave the ground and your arms cross the line first, there should be an objection, an inquiry. .... Is there a test barn post race? I don't know the requirements of the Olympics, and don't usually care, however, I know Russia was booted and why. Too, of course, I know it's not a horse race. Still, I feel badly for Felix who is 30, while Miller is only 22. She was in the lead in the stretch, and remained on her feet. Win the Gold at any costs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/sports/olympics/shaunae-miller-dive-allyson-felix-400-rio-games.

_______
08-17-2016, 11:38 AM
The Olympics are sports packaged for people who don't actually like sports.

While I might have some interest in various events, the coverage is mostly insufferable.

I wouldn't watch the NFL on the sideline reporter network either.

cj
08-17-2016, 12:30 PM

While I might have some interest in various events, the coverage is mostly insufferable.

It is covered the exact same way as the Kentucky Derby.

AndyC
08-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Not one to be engrossed in the Olympics. But, this incident, I've watched several times and each time it has bothered me a lot.

... If your feet leave the ground and your arms cross the line first, there should be an objection, an inquiry. .... Is there a test barn post race? I don't know the requirements of the Olympics, and don't usually care, however, I know Russia was booted and why. Too, of course, I know it's not a horse race. Still, I feel badly for Felix who is 30, while Miller is only 22. She was in the lead in the stretch, and remained on her feet. Win the Gold at any costs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/sports/olympics/shaunae-miller-dive-allyson-felix-400-rio-games.

There is no rule that says you can't dive across the line. It is not the arms that determines whether or not you have crossed the line, it's the torso. You write as if Felix was cheated. I don't think diving to win a gold medal is winning at any cost.

Grits
08-17-2016, 01:06 PM

I do like sports, as I love NFL football, and some college football (Duke and Alabama ... Roll Tide!), along with Duke basketball. And, as always, horseracing. As for the Olympics if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the winter games.

The more I read, the more I learn how uncommon diving to the line to win is.

Ocala Mike
08-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Here's some meaningless Olympic chatter from one who really doesn't get into the Olympics much.

I like the "uniforms" that the women's beach volleyball team members wear, and I'm sure you gals on here like the uniforms on the men divers and water polo players.

Wake me when the games are over, though.

AndyC
08-17-2016, 02:42 PM
.... The more I read, the more I learn how uncommon diving to the line to win is.

see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167949/Track-field-athletes-diving-finish-line-bid-make-Olympics-team.html

zico20
08-17-2016, 05:36 PM

They never admit in in soccer! If you want to start enjoying the art of diving, just watch a bunch of soccer games. You will grow to appreciate the skill involved. :jump:

zico20
08-17-2016, 05:39 PM
I do like sports, as I love NFL football, and some college football (Duke and Alabama ... Roll Tide!), along with Duke basketball. And, as always, horseracing. As for the Olympics if I had to choose one over the other, it would be the winter games.

The more I read, the more I learn how uncommon diving to the line to win is.

Damn, you and I have the same teams. Alabama football is my second favorite team behind BYU and Duke is my favorite basketball team. I also much prefer the winter olympics. You just need to start watching the Premier League now.

ronsmac
08-17-2016, 10:22 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/17/sports/olympics/shaunae-miller-dive-allyson-felix-400-rio-games.That had to be the first time you've watched a track and field event in your life?

PhantomOnTour
08-17-2016, 10:41 PM

A Brazilian judge has ordered two Americans to be held in the country now. They were actually on the plane and were removed...what gives here y'all?

Think these guys got into a little trouble (brothel??) and got ripped off & had to make up a story? Were they out late after curfew?
Hmmm...seems to me like Lochte told a little lie and it went WAY further than he ever dreamed.

tucker6
08-18-2016, 06:31 AM
A Brazilian judge has ordered two Americans to be held in the country now. They were actually on the plane and were removed...what gives here y'all?

Think these guys got into a little trouble (brothel??) and got ripped off & had to make up a story? Were they out late after curfew?
Hmmm...seems to me like Lochte told a little lie and it went WAY further than he ever dreamed.
Are you serious? :D You obviously are not as well traveled as you think. What happened to these swimmers happens every night in every town and city in Central and South America. Taxi drivers and bandits working together. It is the wild west. As for your assertion, the judge will give back their passports is they submit to an official interview. Then they are on their way. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Grits
08-18-2016, 09:04 AM
see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2167949/Track-field-athletes-diving-finish-line-bid-make-Olympics-team.html

I know only two names in track and field, Usain Bolt and Carl Lewis. You went further back than I as I read only stories of recent days. You've taught me something and for the first time responded to any post that I've ever written here. Thank you.

.... Going forward, the Olympic Committee should consider changing the competition's name from "Track and Field" to "Track and Flop".

Grits
08-18-2016, 09:17 AM
That had to be the first time you've watched a track and field event in your life?

No, its not. I watched Carl Lewis, back in the day. I watched FloJo and Jackie Joyner Kersee. That's pretty much it. I simply don't care much about it today, though, replays of the gymnastics competition have been the most impressive.

Grits
08-18-2016, 09:29 AM
Damn, you and I have the same teams. Alabama football is my second favorite team behind BYU and Duke is my favorite basketball team. I also much prefer the winter olympics. You just need to start watching the Premier League now.

You've gotta watch this, Zico. I love it, it's the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTdXQyhjifY&spfreload=10

Greatest college football fans in the country. My veterinarian is a third generation grad of Auburn Vet School. Of course, his entire family despises the Tide. :lol:

PhantomOnTour
08-18-2016, 09:34 AM
Are you serious? :D You obviously are not as well traveled as you think. What happened to these swimmers happens every night in every town and city in Central and South America. Taxi drivers and bandits working together. It is the wild west. As for your assertion, the judge will give back their passports is they submit to an official interview. Then they are on their way. Nothing to see here. Move along.
You sure about that?

AndyC
08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
I know only two names in track and field, Usain Bolt and Carl Lewis. You went further back than I as I read only stories of recent days. You've taught me something and for the first time responded to any post that I've ever written here. Thank you.

.... Going forward, the Olympic Committee should consider changing the competition's name from "Track and Field" to "Track and Flop".

I never thought that diving was an actual strategy and was surprised to find that some runners actually did it. It has always looked to me as though the runner was thoroughly exhausted and was just falling.

upthecreek
08-18-2016, 02:13 PM
NBC reporting story NOT TRUE Apparently they committed some kind of vandalism at a gas station and were trying to cover it up

upthecreek
08-18-2016, 02:31 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/brazil-stops-two-us-olympic-swimmers-from-leaving-country-over-robbery-case/2016/08/18/5bfdee66-6540-11e6-96c0-37533479f3f5_story.html

Valuist
08-19-2016, 11:50 AM
A news commentator this morning:

"Hopefully this incident won't hurt any endorsement deals".

So you believe lying and deception is good for one who endorses products? He most definitely should be terminated from any existing endorsement deals.

ronsmac
08-19-2016, 12:32 PM
A news commentator this morning:

"Hopefully this incident won't hurt any endorsement deals".

So you believe lying and deception is good for one who endorses products? He most definitely should be terminated from any existing endorsement deals.Celebrity endorsements must work but I've never understood the premise. Well I did when I was 10 but as an adult I never believed Mark Mcgwire hit all those home runs because he ate Big Macs.

Valuist
08-19-2016, 05:00 PM
Celebrity endorsements must work but I've never understood the premise. Well I did when I was 10 but as an adult I never believed Mark Mcgwire hit all those home runs because he ate Big Macs.

I never did either, but being shamed is never good for the company. He's an embarrassment.