PDA

View Full Version : Horrible,accidental Police Shooting

upthecreek
08-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Very Sad

https://news.google.com/news/ampviewer?caurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.c om%2Famphtml%2Fnews%2Fmorning-mix%2Fwp%2F2016%2F08%2F10%2Fwoman-fatally-shot-in-accident-during-fla-citizen-police-academy-lethal-force-simulation%2F#pt0-379027

Inner Dirt
08-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Horrible tragedy that won't get much attention because she was white and probably middle class or higher.

OntheRail
08-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Very tragic... and totally avoidable. Callahan probably racked back the slide viewed an empty chamber then dropped the mag out... instead of the other way around. And not doing a double check to make damn sure the weapon was safe. The height of stupidity.

Negligent Homicide at the very least.

Wife's Lives Matter

PhantomOnTour
08-10-2016, 12:32 PM
WTF were they using a real gun for anyway?
Use a toy gun, or those wooden cut outs, or just point your finger & make the gun sign with your hand.
Good Lord

highnote
08-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Two thoughts...

1.). I was taught to never, ever, ever, ever, point a gun at someone -- even if you are absolutely, positively, certain that the gun is not loaded.

2.). My father was in the army during WWII. The soldiers had a saying: "Never volunteer".

chadk66
08-10-2016, 08:07 PM
yea should have been using a toy gun with that orange cap on the end and just run around and yell "bang bang":confused:

highnote
08-10-2016, 09:10 PM
yea should have been using a toy gun with that orange cap on the end and just run around and yell "bang bang":confused:

There is no excuse for this type of accident. None.

Go back and read point one of my previous post. The woman would still be alive if they would have followed this simple rule. Never point a gun at someone.

Also read my second point. She would still be alive had she not volunteered.

Third, put those two points together: Never volunteer to let someone point a gun at you.

And the reason you never let someone point a gun at you is because you cannot be 100% certain that the person pointing the gun is of sound mind. There are nurses who kill people in hospitals. There are health care workers who kill elderly people in nursing homes. Also, some people are just plain stupid.

The paranoid survive.

chadk66
08-11-2016, 09:38 AM
There is no excuse for this type of accident. None.

Go back and read point one of my previous post. The woman would still be alive if they would have followed this simple rule. Never point a gun at someone.

Also read my second point. She would still be alive had she not volunteered.

Third, put those two points together: Never volunteer to let someone point a gun at you.

And the reason you never let someone point a gun at you is because you cannot be 100% certain that the person pointing the gun is of sound mind. There are nurses who kill people in hospitals. There are health care workers who kill elderly people in nursing homes. Also, some people are just plain stupid.

The paranoid survive.except when police are doing training they point guns at shit. otherwise why do the training.

highnote
08-11-2016, 10:02 AM
except when police are doing training they point guns at shit. otherwise why do the training.

I don't know much about police training, but I do know that pointing real weapons at people is dangerous and there is a huge downside risk that outweighs the benefits. Downside is death. Upside is training.

Bruce Lee's son was killed in an accidental shooting when a gun was fired at him during the filming of a movie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

But feel free to point weapons at people or let them point them at you. You have been warned.

PhantomOnTour
08-11-2016, 10:31 AM
except when police are doing training they point guns at shit. otherwise why do the training.
But, point a real gun at a civilian volunteer?
That is reckless to the core.

Burls
08-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Never volunteer to let someone point a gun at you.
I'm in full agreement with you on that one, Chad.

thaskalos
08-11-2016, 01:46 PM
Never volunteer for anything which keeps cops in the general vicinity.

JustRalph
08-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Never volunteer for anything which keeps cops in the general vicinity.

Your Chicagoness showing through......

highnote
08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Ralph,
Would you ever point a real weapon, say, a service revolver, at someone in a training exercise?

thaskalos
08-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Your Chicagoness showing through......

I can only go by what I see... :)

MONEY
08-11-2016, 03:46 PM
NYPD uses cap guns during role-plays.
The barrels of the guns are filled with concrete & the guns are painted bright yellow.

The only place that real guns & ammo are allowed during training, is on the range.
When on the range guns may not be unholstered, loaded or fired without authorization from the range instructor.

highnote
08-11-2016, 04:52 PM
NYPD uses cap guns during role-plays.
The barrels of the guns are filled with concrete & the guns are painted bright yellow.

The only place that real guns & ammo are allowed during training, is on the range.
When on the range guns may not be unholstered, loaded or fired without authorization from the range instructor.

This sounds like a much more sensible approach.

What a shame they didn't do this in the Florida training.

JustRalph
08-11-2016, 04:56 PM
Ralph,
Would you ever point a real weapon, say, a service revolver, at someone in a training exercise?

I've done it many times. Always in training being conducted by very serious supervisors etc. But we used fake ammo etc. red cap is what they used to call it. It fired cotton balls. But, the supervising officer always went around and physically ensured nobody had any real ammo on their person.

This is a case of plain carelessness. The officer who did this has come under scrutiny and he is looking worse by the moment.

I have often said that police departments, just like other organizations, take on the personality of their leadership. They should fire the command staff that covered this "academy" and possibly the Chief.

highnote
08-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I've done it many times. Always in training being conducted by very serious supervisors etc. But we used fake ammo etc. red cap is what they used to call it. It fired cotton balls. But, the supervising officer always went around and physically ensured nobody had any real ammo on their person.

This is a case of plain carelessness. The officer who did this has come under scrutiny and he is looking worse by the moment.

I have often said that police departments, just like other organizations, take on the personality of their leadership. They should fire the command staff that covered this "academy" and possibly the Chief.

Even if you shoot blanks you have to make certain the barrel is free of any sort of hard projectile. Otherwise, you could have an accidental shooting.