PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod's punishment

jk3521
08-08-2016, 07:41 AM
The Yankees have punished A-Rod by not allowing him to hit # 700 as a Yankee . He always has stated that he would be proud to be able to do that.

barahona44
08-08-2016, 08:25 AM
The Yankees have punished A-Rod by not allowing him to hit # 700 as a Yankee . He always has stated that he would be proud to be able to do that.
Based on pure speculation and zero evidence (which means people will accept it as fact :) ),ARod in 2 years goes to Tampa, plays as DH for a small salary , and gets his 700.The Devil Rays (still like to call them that) aren't going anywhere for awhile and draw flies anyway.

jk3521
08-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Based on pure speculation and zero evidence (which means people will accept it as fact :) ),ARod in 2 years goes to Tampa, plays as DH for a small salary , and gets his 700.The Devil Rays (still like to call them that) aren't going anywhere for awhile and draw flies anyway.

Whether they did it purposely or not , it is a fact. He will not hit #700 as a Yankee. The ghost of George Steinbrenner has spoken from the grave. :D

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/madden-george-steinbrenner-fight-dump-a-rod-article-1.2002475

Marshall Bennett
08-08-2016, 12:23 PM
I thought A-Rod quit on his own.

Tor Ekman
08-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Hate the Skanks and A-Roid, but I'm hoping Girardi plays him in the series at Fenway and A-Roid finds his stroke and goes something like 7 for 12 with 3-4 homers in the 3-game set vs BoSox . . . they still "retiring" him after Friday?

Rise Over Run
08-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Hate the Skanks and A-Roid, but I'm hoping Girardi plays him in the series at Fenway and A-Roid finds his stroke and goes something like 7 for 12 with 3-4 homers in the 3-game set vs BoSox . . . they still "retiring" him after Friday?
Is that really you, Scott Wetzel?

mikesal57
08-11-2016, 10:20 AM

This whole thing turned into a joke...even Girardi screwed him....

Always thought Yankee organization was classy.....

I hope Tampa's pitcher throws him lollipops all 4 at bats...

Mike

johnhannibalsmith
08-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Hey come on he's just trying to win. Gotta get Tex and his .196 average and .053 average against the Sox this year smack dab in the cleanup spot. :lol: Gotta get Austin Romine some at-bats and lighten the workload behind the plate on the overworked Gary Sanchez. Didn't you know that Aaron Hicks is just Jackey Bradley Jr. Jr. and if we just get him 900 plate appearances he'll hit .202?

Don't knock Joe for sitting A Rod. He's trying everything he can think of to win!!!

charm city whizz
08-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Is that really you, Scott Wetzel?

I thought the same thing😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂......heard that I think on satursay Hahahahahahshshshsh

10000000000000 percent Scott wetzel😂😂😂😂

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-11-2016, 11:51 AM
This whole thing turned into a joke...even Girardi screwed him....

Mike

Girardi's comments about not caring about the 'tour' and only interested in winning ball games was laughable. Just think back to the Jeter tour.

mikesal57
08-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Girardi's comments about not caring about the 'tour' and only interested in winning ball games was laughable. Just think back to the Jeter tour.

Honestly , I think Girardi is caught between a rock and hard place...

he has to put management before himself...if he wants to keep his job

thats why this announcement came now to end ARODS Yankee career on Friday and not wait till end of season.

There was too much pressure and repeating questions thrown at him and he probably told management to do something...

so they settled and still embarrassed themselves with this early exit...but Girardi is free now

Mike

Valuist
08-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Girardi was an a-hole Wednesday night. Let the Boston crowd see A-Rod for 4 at bats. Yes, they booed him throughout the entire single AB. But everyone had their cameras out.

I look at the season long going away parties for Kobe, Jeter, Papi that were all a bit overdone. Just let the guy play 3B tomorrow and don't pinch hit for him tonight or tomorrow. I'm not a Yankee fan, but Girardi owes at least that much to A-Rod.

Valuist
08-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Agree 1000%. Total bullshit on Girardi's part.

johnhannibalsmith
08-12-2016, 07:15 PM
"Alex Rodriguez, you have played twelve of your twenty-two seasons as a New York Yankee...."

KA-BOOM CRASH SMASH

...goes the thunder and the sky falls right in the middle of the Stadium. :lol: :lol:

tucker6
08-12-2016, 08:26 PM
The Yankees found a way to make A-Rod look sympathetic.

jk3521
08-13-2016, 06:32 AM
I haven't been a Yankees fan since Mantle/Maris, but I the team has always been a class act ...until now!

JustRalph
08-13-2016, 11:14 AM
The hometown crowd did not seem as excited as I thought they would be. They were mailing it in......

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 11:17 AM
I haven't been a Yankees fan since Mantle/Maris, but I the team has always been a class act ...until now!
Not really. Think you missed the 70s and 80s, Steve Howe's seven second chances, etc. Frankly don't believe Derek Jeter was all the media made him out to be. They knew stuff, but kept it quiet like the good ole days and he was at least smart enough to avoid public issues.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 11:24 AM
People seem to love to criticize Alex Rodriguez quite a bit. Of course he screwed up and did dumb things, but frankly I think he's little different in that respect than the so beloved David Ortiz. Difference is all in the presentation. One big difference between those two though is that Alex was high end HoF worthy without the drugs. Ortiz was a player whose career was near ending in Minnesota due to constant injury. Which should be held up as the worst example of PED abuse? New York sports writers loved Alex and constantly said he was better than Derek until he signed the big contract in Texas and thus "spurned" the Mets. After that he was the worst person in the world.

My opinion? Best all around ball player I've seen in my life.

tucker6
08-13-2016, 01:22 PM
My opinion? Best all around ball player I've seen in my life.
Better than Mike Schmidt?

When you take into account the difference in number of at bats between the two, they both had similar basehit and home run ratios per AB's. The real difference was fielding. ARod had 3 MVPs and two gold gloves. Schmidt had 3 MVPs and 10 gold gloves.

thaskalos
08-13-2016, 02:18 PM
A-Rod didn't get NEARLY enough embarrassment for his steroid-use refusal, and subsequent admission. How his career achieved the longevity that it did is a mystery to me. The other steroid users vanished without a trace.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 02:28 PM
Better than Mike Schmidt?

When you take into account the difference in number of at bats between the two, they both had similar basehit and home run ratios per AB's. The real difference was fielding. ARod had 3 MVPs and two gold gloves. Schmidt had 3 MVPs and 10 gold gloves.
Alex was also 2nd twice and 3rd once, Schmidt was 3rd twice. Both had 4 other top tens so edge Alex there. 10 silver sluggers to Schmidt's 6. Alex had a higher career WAR and 150 more HRs. Alex was really a shortstop, so more demanding fielding position, plus had to contend with the "golden age" of shortstops with Jeter, Garciaparra and Vizquel, who may be the best fielding shortstop ever. Thus I give less weight to the GG in the comparisons. Even as a SS included Alex had a higher fielding percentage career.

So Schmidt was great, but Alex was better.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 02:29 PM
A-Rod didn't get NEARLY enough embarrassment for his steroid-use refusal, and subsequent admission. How his career achieved the longevity that it did is a mystery to me. The other steroid users vanished without a trace.
No they didn't and more than a few are still playing to great accolade.

tucker6
08-13-2016, 03:02 PM
Alex was also 2nd twice and 3rd once, Schmidt was 3rd twice. Both had 4 other top tens so edge Alex there. 10 silver sluggers to Schmidt's 6. Alex had a higher career WAR and 150 more HRs. Alex was really a shortstop, so more demanding fielding position, plus had to contend with the "golden age" of shortstops with Jeter, Garciaparra and Vizquel, who may be the best fielding shortstop ever. Thus I give less weight to the GG in the comparisons. Even as a SS included Alex had a higher fielding percentage career.

So Schmidt was great, but Alex was better.
An awful lot of contortion to make the facts fit the conclusion. :D

We'll agree to disagree. That's okay.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 04:51 PM

You started with the awards. Those are just basic numbers. Didn't even talk about the speed Alex had before the hip problems. Schmidt was extremely good but not as good.

tucker6
08-13-2016, 05:14 PM
You started with the awards. Those are just basic numbers. Didn't even talk about the speed Alex had before the hip problems. Schmidt was extremely good but not as good.
And how much did PEDS affect Alex's numbers? 10% 20% That's the problem these guys have with getting into the HOF. What is the fluff factor on their numbers.

thaskalos
08-13-2016, 05:25 PM
No they didn't and more than a few are still playing to great accolade.

A-Rod and Ryan Braun are the only two players that I can readily recall who pretended to be "pure as the driven snow", were caught in blatant lies about their steroid use...and yet, were allowed to continue their careers with only brief suspension interruptions levied against them.

Neither A-Rod NOR Braun deserve any sympathy, IMO...and they BOTH deserved to be embarrassed a lot more than they were. If you are a cheat...then at least have the decency to keep your mouth under control when pleading your case to the press and the fans. When you go out of your way to pretend that you are "Mr. Clean", even though you are using...then you deserve all the embarrassment coming your way when the truth finally comes out.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 06:43 PM
And how much did PEDS affect Alex's numbers? 10% 20% That's the problem these guys have with getting into the HOF. What is the fluff factor on their numbers.
HoF is supposed to be about being the best of your era. He was, both before and after PED use. So was Bonds, so was Clemens. All 3 belong there.

There are guys in the Hall now that were users going back at least to the 60s if not earlier. How much did amphetimes help plenty of other guys? Crying about cheating in baseball is a joke. Some once upon a time thought the curve ball was cheating. And we hear how great football is now and use there is rampant, and no one cares. Talent is talent and he had it.

EMD4ME
08-13-2016, 09:08 PM

If the yankees played hardball when he opted out in 2006 or 2007, he would've been gone a long time ago. By playing hardball, with him shopping around and then Georgie Boy coming to the rescue with a long term contract, he stayed around a lot longer.

His contract kept him around.

kingfin66
08-13-2016, 10:02 PM
A-Rod and Ryan Braun are the only two players that I can readily recall who pretended to be "pure as the driven snow", were caught in blatant lies about their steroid use...and yet, were allowed to continue their careers with only brief suspension interruptions levied against them.

Neither A-Rod NOR Braun deserve any sympathy, IMO...and they BOTH deserved to be embarrassed a lot more than they were. If you are a cheat...then at least have the decency to keep your mouth under control when pleading your case to the press and the fans. When you go out of your way to pretend that you are "Mr. Clean", even though you are using...then you deserve all the embarrassment coming your way when the truth finally comes out.

Alex got suspended for an entire season without a positive drug test. Don't get me wrong, I believe there was ample evidence to prove that he deserved the suspension, but a full season is much more than a "brief suspension." Probably the reason that it seems like he did not suffer a lot of public embarrassment is because he was totally out of the picture for a year; out of sight, out of mind.

kingfin66
08-13-2016, 10:11 PM

Al did say that was his opinion. Hell, I thought Griffey was the best player that I ever saw, and there are no allegations of any type of PEDs where he is concerned. Just one MVP, but 13 all star game appearances, 10 gold gloves, 7 silver sluggers, 83.6 career WAR, and near unanimous hall of famer. Probably the best player of all time, who did not use PEDs, but who I did not see play, is Willie Mays. I hate that we are turning the A-Rod release thread into the GOAT thread, but that is a much more interesting discussion.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 11:20 PM
Alex got suspended for an entire season without a positive drug test. Don't get me wrong, I believe there was ample evidence to prove that he deserved the suspension, but a full season is much more than a "brief suspension." Probably the reason that it seems like he did not suffer a lot of public embarrassment is because he was totally out of the picture for a year; out of sight, out of mind.
Not only that but full season suspension was supposed to be the penalty for two failed tests. Might have been for the best for him though as it allowed him to get healthy and have a very strong 2015 season.

OTM Al
08-13-2016, 11:37 PM
Al did say that was his opinion. Hell, I thought Griffey was the best player that I ever saw, and there are no allegations of any type of PEDs where he is concerned. Just one MVP, but 13 all star game appearances, 10 gold gloves, 7 silver sluggers, 83.6 career WAR, and near unanimous hall of famer. Probably the best player of all time, who did not use PEDs, but who I did not see play, is Willie Mays. I hate that we are turning the A-Rod release thread into the GOAT thread, but that is a much more interesting discussion.
Griffey was spectacular and would probably be my #2. Give Alex the edge simply because of the position he played. Don't remember watching Mays, so can't put him on the list. Mays was an amphetime user and distributor, so would refute your argument there.

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-09-13/sports/sp-22701_1_willie-mays

Aaron would be #3 for me. Always considered him to be under rated as he was much more than a home run hitter. I would likely have to make him #2 but I only remember seeing him at the end. Also an admitted amphetamine user. Then I'd go Bonds, no need to discuss, and filling out the top 5 is really tough but am a big fan of Ichiro, so I will slot him in there.

PS, Alex has a lifetime WAR of 117.8. Thought it might be closer than that with Griffey.

kingfin66
08-14-2016, 12:26 AM
I hope that article is not what you think would refute my argument. That is the testimony of a guy that was trying to - and did in fact - save his own ass. Mays denied the allegation and to my knowledge has never been charged or convicted. What is my gut feeling? That Mays, like many other players used speed. Distribution is another matter.

OTM Al
08-14-2016, 07:45 AM
I hope that article is not what you think would refute my argument. That is the testimony of a guy that was trying to - and did in fact - save his own ass. Mays denied the allegation and to my knowledge has never been charged or convicted. What is my gut feeling? That Mays, like many other players used speed. Distribution is another matter.
The fact they were users is enough to say that they weren't clean either.

kingfin66
08-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Have to agree with that. I do think that steroids have a much bigger impact than speed in terms of records being broken, etc.

mikesal57
08-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Off the top of my head ...have there been any users that HASN'T benefit from steroids?

OTM Al
08-14-2016, 11:55 AM
Have to agree with that. I do think that steroids have a much bigger impact than speed in terms of records being broken, etc.
Hard to say. Knowledge about nutrition and conditioning is so much better now too. Speed used for same effect, to keep sharp and at top level of play on field. I think people are too wrapped up in records anyway. Baseball 80-90 years ago was very different than it is today. Raw numbers that make up records just too hard to compare. Only old record I find compelling is the 56 game hit streak because of the increadible level of consistency it shows.

barahona44
08-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Hard to say. Knowledge about nutrition and conditioning is so much better now too. Speed used for same effect, to keep sharp and at top level of play on field. I think people are too wrapped up in records anyway. Baseball 80-90 years ago was very different than it is today. Raw numbers that make up records just too hard to compare. Only old record I find compelling is the 56 game hit streak because of the increadible level of consistency it shows.It also helped DiMaggio tnat he didn't have to face guys coming out of the bullpen throwing 98 mph or black players who may have been better defensively to take away some of his hits.Not downplaying Joe D.'s achievement but nobody will ever touch that record.

ReplayRandall
08-14-2016, 11:31 PM
Only old record I find compelling is the 56 game hit streak because of the incredible level of consistency it shows.

Here are just a couple of amazing stats, among others, concerning DiMaggio's hit streak. First, Joe D. did not strikeout a single time in the last 149 plate appearances of his streak. Immediately after the streak was over, he incredibly hit safely in another 16 straight games......

OTM Al
08-15-2016, 07:21 AM
It also helped DiMaggio tnat he didn't have to face guys coming out of the bullpen throwing 98 mph or black players who may have been better defensively to take away some of his hits.Not downplaying Joe D.'s achievement but nobody will ever touch that record.
True to all, but many others faced the same conditions and never came close. Cobb, who hit .500 for half of one season didn't come close. It is a remarkable record.