PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Sun., August 7, 2016

Teach
08-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Race One:

:5: Conquest Lucknlove should have her own way on the front end. She appears to be the major speed in this five-horse maiden-claiming turf route. It would also seem that all that is necessary is for Joel Rosario to rate this bay filly and ration out her speed (In the words of Richard Migliore (I believe it was “The Mig” who said: “It’s not how fast you’re going, it’s how you’re going fast.” That chiasmic statement succinctly sums up the chances of this Smart Strike-bred filly. It also should be noted that this filly drops into “the selling ranks” for the very first time. Frankly, I believe it should also be mentioned that this filly has a penchant for catching the bridal bouquet inside of throwing it. Yet, today… The razor-sharp, red-hot, meet’s leading trainer, Chad Brown, conditions this daughter of the broodmare, Love and Marry. One final point, not to throw cold water on what I believe is a solid selection, but this filly has gone off the chalk in her last five races; yet, from her current, non-winning racing status, she’s failed to get her picture taken, each time!
Others: :2: , :6: , :4:

Race Two:

:2: No Contingency. This A.C. Avila trainee will be playing catch-me-if-you-can. Avila (remember the Vera Cruz native, “Beto,” the Cleveland Indians’ Bobby Avila) ships in from SA. Avila is keeping this Put It Back-bred gelding focused on her task by added blinkers. Avila wins at a 57% rate, albeit with a limited sampling, when putting blinkers back on. This trainer is also good both with horses that have been on the shelf and who are making their first start off a claim. Make no mistake, this 6 year-old gelding – he’s hit the board in approx. 60% of his lifetime starts – continues to spiral down through the claiming ranks (the DRF calls today’s drop: “suspicious”). Question: Has this gelding found his level? I believe so. Jockey Jose Lezcano (he won yesterday’s nightcap) has begun to pick up the pace. Others: :6: , :7: , :8:

Race Three:

:5: Uncle Southern gets my nod as she cuts back a panel and returns to the turf, a surface on which this Uncle Camie-bred mare has met with success throughout her career. The most capable Linda Rice trains this 6 year-old daughter of Southern Statement. Rice does well in most racing categories; yet, she has an excellent record with horses making their second start under her tutelage. A recent, solid morning work indicates readiness. Look for marked improvement from her last main- track start (she was eased late). This is her second start off a layoff. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: :3: , :4: , :7:

Race Four:

I must say that :2: Court Dancer “folded like a cheap suit” in her last, a non-graded New York state-bred sprint, The Dancing Renee. Yet, today, this daughter of War Chant drops down into softer conditions, an optional claimer. This grand-daughter of Danzig could very well be off and winging when the starting-gate latches release. With this field… In this company… Yes, a distinct chance. “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo, must ration out this mare speed. In her favor, this 5 year-old has hit the board in eight out of 14 tries at the 6-panels sprint distance. Second off a layoff. “Triple R,” Rudy Rodriguez, is the mare’s conditioner; he does well with horses entered in sprint races. Others: :4: , :5: , :3:

Race Five:

:5: Degrees of Freedom is my pick in this turf allowance route. In her last, over three months ago, this Arch-bred filly – she went off the chalk -- led into deep stretch at Keeneland only to falter in the closing strides. Well, this Kris S.-bred has been given “a breather” off her last sparkling try; she should now be ready for today’s foray on the fescue. This afternoon’s slight cut-back should help. It should be noted that the meet’s leading trainer, Chad Brown, is this filly’s conditioner. Javier Castellano – one of the best on turf – reprises the ride. Others: :6: , :7: , :10:

Race Six:

:9: Amapola ships in from Hallandale after running like a quarter-horse and winning by 10 lengths only to have the stewards take her number down for interference (questionable) on the backstretch with the #2, Cabinette (Cabinette’s jock looked like he was employing the Stanislavsky method as he abruptly went retrograde and back-pedalled back to last). This Broken Vow-bred filly does stretch out a panel; yet, if she runs back to her last in late-May, sans the interference, she could, conceivably, romp (she looked that impressive). The added furlong shouldn’t pose a problem. The Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, trains this grand-daughter of Unbridled. Mott does well with both shippers and horses that have been on the shelf. Joel Rosario is in the stirrups. Others: :3: , :5: , :4:

Race Seven:

In this state-bred allowance turf route, n1x, my choice is :5: Kerjillion. There’s that name again, trainer Chad Brown. Do I hear whispered “Saratoga training title”? Heretofore, he’s been that good. This chestnut gelding ran second about three months ago, downstate, against similar company. Any slight improvement… Oh, I should add that this gelding’s morning work-tab has been good and steady. Yet, one note of caution: this gelding’s going to take serious do-re-mi at the windows. Don’t expect much return on your straight bet. In fact, this Freud-bred has gone off “chalk” in all of his three of his lifetime pari-mutuel starts; he’s won, as the conditions state, only once. The veteran reinsman and Maracaibo native, Javier Castellano, is in the irons. Others: :3: , :4: , :8:

Race Eight:

In this allowance turf route I’m going back to the Javier Castellano-ridden, 4 year-old Tapit (Pulpit)-bred bay filly, :8: War Tap. This War Chant-bred filly does move up after breaking her maiden at Monmouth about a month and one-half ago. In that one, she collared the front-runners in the stretch and went on to easily win by almost two lengths. Any repeat of that sold effort at this very same distance should produce the same results. The most capable conditioner, George Weaver, trains this Amansara-bred. A recent solid work indicates readiness. I might add that trainer Weaver does well with horses that have been on the shelf. Others: :9: , :10: , :3:

Race Nine:

In the 100k, non-graded Alydar, I’m trying for a mild upset (yes, I’m looking to beat presumed “fave”) with the rail horse, :1: Royal Posse. Talk about consistency, this Posse-bred bay gelding has been either first or second in his last ten starts; he’s gone off as the favorite in his last four. Yet, in those most recent races, this gelding has won only once. Just once. That cautionary comment should get one thinking about boxing and back-wheeling in exotics. Yet, if all goes according to plan, this gelding should be right there at the wire. A personal preference: I like the rail horses in routes. Another worthy point is that if there’s any moisture on the race track, it moves this gelding up, considerably (there’s talk of scattered showers). Irad is in the irons for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Rodriguez does well with beaten favorites. Others: :2: , :3: , :4:

Race Ten:

In the finale, an MSW turf route, I’m either going out with a bang, or I’m going out with a whimper. My choice, the rail horse (I told you I like the rail in routes, esp. turf routes), is :2: Awesome Boss. This bay filly stretches out. The pedigree says she wants to go longer. In this filly’s only race she perambulated six panels on the grass; she finished a closing third. Now, she adds a couple panels+. Voila! Ken McPeek trains this Street Boss-bred filly. McPeek does well with second career starts. Dylan Davis reprises the ride. Others: :3: , :6: , :10:

Shooter 79
08-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Enjoy your write ups Walt, along with your choice of verbage..."heretofore...perambulate"...Good stuff :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Nitro
08-07-2016, 06:16 PM
R#10 – 9-2 W/ 7-6-4 @ 3mins to post

Nitro
08-07-2016, 06:26 PM
R#10 – 9-2 W/ 7-6-4 @ 3mins to post
Results:

R #10 = 9-3-6-2 - – WIN – Placer took some late action

$2.00 WIN – 9 - $7.50

Zaf
08-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Hey Teach :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: