PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Sat., August 6

Teach
08-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Race One:

“In the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress…” (not my words, but those of Ethan Allen) I bid you consider :12: Ticonderoga (if he draws in from the AEs). Bill Farish and Woodford Racing forked over 850K for this Tapit (Pulpit) offspring. At first asking? Top trainer: Chad Brown. Second leading jockey: Javier Castellano. Solid recent works with a trainer who wins 25% of his turf starts. :2: Panama Papers. First of all, this 2 year-old bay colt is a tad older than the rest of the field; it may not seem like much (he was born in January); yet when you’re competing against other 2 year-olds… A personal preference: I love English Channel-sired turf horses. The colt’s trainer, Mike Hushion, has an outstanding 30% winning record with second career turf starts; he also does very well with 1st at a route. :9: The Great Samurai failed as “the chalk” in this last, about one month ago, in a turf sprint (he was a closing second in that one). I believe the stretch-out to eight-plus panels could work wonders for this Giant’s Causeway-bred 2 year-old bay colt. His jock, the Hall of Famer, Johnny V., is having an excellent “Spa” meet. His trainer, David Donk, needs to “get off the schneid”; yet Donk is a sold turf-horse trainer. He does very well with second grass-races. :1: Brooklyn Bobby is aptly named for the late-great Hall of Fame trainer, Bobby Frankel (Frankel passed away in 2009). Bobby Frankel was born in Brooklyn (1941). This bay colt’s sire is the GB-bred, Frankel. My reasoning: the sire’s side of the family has an outstanding turf pedigree; the aforementioned Frankel and the Irish-bred, Galileo. Brian Lynch trains; Joel Rosario is in the irons. The rail has been the place to be in “Spa” turf routes.

I'll be back with my other selections, later.

Teach
08-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Race Two:

To paraphrase “The Mig,” steady and good. Morning works, that is. All kidding aside, my choice here is: :8: Practical Joke. He’s a well-bred 2 year-old bay colt (Klaravich Stables et al. paid a quarter-mill for him). This colt has the services of the meet’s leading jockey, Irad Ortiz, Jr., and the meet’s leading trainer, Chad Brown. The “Chad and Irad” show are 17 6-4-1 over the last two weeks (DRF attribution). Trainer Brown does particularly well with MSWs. A little moisture (showers in the area) wouldn’t hurt. :9: Newman is a Godolphin-owned, Bernardini-bred colt. This Forestry-bred (any moisture would be appreciated) 2 year-old bay turned an impressive, recent “bullet” work at the Greentree Training Center in Saratoga Springs. Yet, a note of caution. Caveat Emptor: the colt’s trainer, Tom Albertrani, has only a handful of wins in 151 1st time starts. Yet, the broodmare, Darley, produced two winners from two starters. “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, is in the irons. Two others to consider are: :6: Northern. The veteran reinsman, Javier Castellano, is in the irons for trainer Wesley Ward. He does well with first-time starters. Finally, :7: Hieroglyphics. This Pioneerof the Nile (Empire Maker), think American Pharoah, was a highly-priced bay colt that Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners paid just short of a half-a-mill for. Todd Pletcher trains; Johnny V. rides. As Boston’s Michael T. McGreevy used to say: “Nuf Ced!”

Teach
08-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Race Three: :8:, :9: , :1: , :2:

Race Four: :6: , :3: , :7: , :1:

Race Five: :5: , :1: , :2: , :7:

Race Six: :2: , :5: , :4: , :1:

Race Seven :1: , :2:, :4: , :6:

Race Eight: :7: , :3: , :5: , :6:

Race Nine: :2: , :3: , :6: , :7:

Race Ten: :4: , :6: , :2: , :5:

Race Eleven: :1: , :4: , :10: , :11:

Redboard