PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Derby Day

Peter Berry
08-03-2016, 12:20 PM
The 95 entrants on West Virginia Derby Day at Mountaineer on Saturday have combined earnings of $23,479,299, an average of $247,150 per horse.

Donttellmeshowme
08-03-2016, 01:14 PM
What happened to the 2 yr old races on Derby Day?

cj
08-03-2016, 01:38 PM

It would have drastically cut down on the earnings per horse so they eliminated them!

Great card, by the way.

EMD4ME
08-03-2016, 04:35 PM
It would have drastically cut down on the earnings per horse so they eliminated them!

Great card, by the way.

Tough crowd :D Just kidding! Yes, nice card Peter ! Look forward to your awesome calls.

Zaf
08-03-2016, 09:36 PM
The 95 entrants on West Virginia Derby Day at Mountaineer on Saturday have combined earnings of $23,479,299, an average of $247,150 per horse.

:ThmbUp: Looking forward to it :ThmbUp:

arw629
08-03-2016, 10:53 PM
I've been against Suddenbreakingnews in every one of his starts but I think Saturday is the day...i don't think Cupid will get 9F and Suddenbreakingnews will get last run in a field full of pressers...I'm thinking he will.be 3-1 to 4-1 range

Zaf
08-03-2016, 11:02 PM
What about Mo Tom with the super hot Jersey Joe Bravo !

Z

Lemon Drop Husker
08-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Really loving the WV Derby this year.

No "supposed" superstars, but a field of 12 colts all looking to take a solid step forward. Hopefully I can put my Suddenbreakingnews affection aside and make a reasonable wager. :)

I'm not only nose deep into that one, but ears deep.

And then you have Plueven, Jasizzle, Notte 'd Oro, S'marvelous, Athena.

Yes, yes, yes. I'm very interested. :ThmbUp:

arw629
08-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Connecting the dots ....the 3rd place finisher in the ohio derby Discreet lover beaten 5 lengths by Mo Tom also ran 8th in the Indiana derby beaten 11 lengths by Cupid ....this horse 3 back ran 5th to American Freedom beaten 7 lengths at Pimlico ....

Discreet Lover won an allowance race at Parx Tuesday against a bunch of claimers which tells us absolutely nothing

Zaf
08-03-2016, 11:46 PM
If Cupid gets an easy lead from the inside what happens from there ? If No Distortion doesn't challenge him he gets a clear easy lead.

Z

Lemon Drop Husker
08-04-2016, 12:43 AM
If Cupid gets an easy lead from the inside what happens from there ? If No Distortion doesn't challenge him he gets a clear easy lead.

Z

Maybe, but I just can't see an easy lead.

Horses like the :5::7::10: will need to change up tactics to have a chance as they aren't closing better than others in here. And like you mentioned :2: No Distortion or even the :4: Pinson shouldn't be letting him get too far away.

:9: Economic Model could sit a really really good trip.

arw629
08-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Maybe, but I just can't see an easy lead.

Horses like the :5::7::10: will need to change up tactics to have a chance as they aren't closing better than others in here. And like you mentioned :2: No Distortion or even the :4: Pinson shouldn't be letting him get too far away.

:9: Economic Model could sit a really really good trip.

I really like Economic Model as well buy he will have to pass speeds and pressers and hold off deep closers...i like Suddenbreakingnews

rrpic6
08-04-2016, 07:48 AM
2 Restricted West Virginia Bred Sprints are a nice change to the card. Looking forward to watching it live. Hope they get a nice crowd.

RR

mountainman
08-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Firmly entrenched between the same competing stakes for years, our derby lends itself to profiling. Look at the pp's on past winners and clear patterns emerge:The last 14 winners total just 5 triple crown starts; 5 of the last 6 came in as graded- stakes winners; 8 of the last 11 posted career beyers in taking our derby; 10 of the last 11 were first or second at the furlong pole.....

So, while it requires a somewhat accomplished horse to win the WV Derby, runners beaten up in pursuit of triple crown glory are best avoided. And our derby winner is invariably a horse pointed for the race-or, at least, peaking at the right time.

In addition, neither the race , nor the surface tend to set up for deep closers. Which is NOT to say that closers can't win-in fact, most winners have rallied from well back. But a strong interior move-even of the sort probably premature on other ovals-is critical to victory. And it should also be noted that Mnr's persistent anti-rail bias sometimes catapults deep-closers into the picture earlier than normal, which skews defined running styles and contorts running positions at the pre-stretch and stretch calls.

And the mountain-main often does play dead-rail on our big day, and that generally compromises speed-types.

Incidentally, making the line on Saturday's card was just brutal. Soooo many good horses, so few points to play with. But it's the kind of problem I love to be confronted with!

Good luck Saturday, guys.

ps-I have yet to encounter anyone who DOESN'T love Economic Model in the race. Can you say "wise guy" horse??

mabred
08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
listen to zaf that man can handicap

best i've seen at nyra!!!!!!

bello
08-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Mountain man....I noticed the rail ( actually 3 and 4 path) steadily getting better over the last couple of days.....But not the 8 path and further out that has been the case for weeks

I am wondering if there is a concerted effort by the track maintenance crew to even up the main track. Two things that are making it tough for me to handicap the main track for derby day,

1. Will the typical mountaineer bias ( at least over the last few weeks) be neutralized?
2. If not, many of the big name riders who thrive on saving ground may very be compromised. Si I don't quite understand your comment about not being as concerned about the rail bias day. Is that because historically goes away? or because you think the jocks and top horses have the capacity to overcoe it?

BTW. You and Nancy are great and my ROI at Mountaineer this year is in the stratosphere....But I don't know how to attack Derby Day

VigorsTheGrey
08-04-2016, 11:33 AM
"10 of the last 11 were first or second at the furlong pole.....

Which is NOT to say that closers can't win-in fact, most winners have rallied from well back.

Little bit confusing here....the furlong pole? Is it the final 1/8th or the first 1/8 you are referring to here? So we are looking for a closing horse that can make a strong mid-race rally to make the lead at the top of the stretch and hold on or draw away, right? Thank you for the info...I'll be betting on saturday

I'm looking at :2: No Distortion...does this horse fit the patterns? His morning line seem a tad low but maybe you like him too? Thanks.

jballscalls
08-04-2016, 12:27 PM
Had the good pleasure of talking WV Derby and more with Peter Berry on my show the other day. Can listen here if interested. Interview w/ Peter starts at 15 minutes in.

https://extra.betamerica.com/barn-episode-8316/

cj
08-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Z

His history at the start could make that a very tough proposition.

PhantomOnTour
08-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Mo Tom is out

v j stauffer
08-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Had the good pleasure of talking WV Derby and more with Peter Berry on my show the other day. Can listen here if interested. Interview w/ Peter starts at 15 minutes in.

https://extra.betamerica.com/barn-episode-8316/

Just listened to Balls and Peter.

No surprise it was excellent.

Peter is superb at everything he does.

He was really fun to hear in this piece.

Worth a listen.

Robert Fischer
08-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Do you toss Cupid and hopes he gets in his own way, finishing off the board to set up a big price?

Yet another race where the flawed Cupid also happens to be the most talented.

'the book' says play against.

I feel that it's a pass race.

My gut is telling me that Cupid is going to have a huge breakthrough race, and the odds are going to be too low to take, considering his faults.

mountainman
08-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Little bit confusing here....the furlong pole? Is it the final 1/8th or the first 1/8 you are referring to here? So we are looking for a closing horse that can make a strong mid-race rally to make the lead at the top of the stretch and hold on or draw away, right? Thank you for the info...I'll be betting on saturday

I'm looking at :2: No Distortion...does this horse fit the patterns? His morning line seem a tad low but maybe you like him too? Thanks.

The stretch call.

mountainman
08-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Mountain man....I noticed the rail ( actually 3 and 4 path) steadily getting better over the last couple of days.....But not the 8 path and further out that has been the case for weeks

I am wondering if there is a concerted effort by the track maintenance crew to even up the main track. Two things that are making it tough for me to handicap the main track for derby day,

1. Will the typical mountaineer bias ( at least over the last few weeks) be neutralized?
2. If not, many of the big name riders who thrive on saving ground may very be compromised. Si I don't quite understand your comment about not being as concerned about the rail bias day. Is that because historically goes away? or because you think the jocks and top horses have the capacity to overcoe it?

BTW. You and Nancy are great and my ROI at Mountaineer this year is in the stratosphere....But I don't know how to attack Derby Day

Never said the bias isn't concerning. Quite the opposite. What I did say was the inside lane(s) tend to be dead on derby day. And, yes, lack of local knowledge has cost plenty of top-riders DEARLY here on derby day.

tanner12oz
08-04-2016, 06:24 PM
I'll be there saturday

michiken
08-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Pete,

I hope these are higher caliber horses than those 'Mountaineer Dregs' who are 'Running On the Wrong Lead' that you seemingly have to call night after night after night after night....

I might even watch.

Ken

sammy the sage
08-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Never said the bias isn't concerning. Quite the opposite. What I did say was the inside lane(s) tend to be dead on derby day. And, yes, lack of local knowledge has cost plenty of top-riders DEARLY here on derby day.

thanks for making my Sat. a bit easier...mean that sincerely...don't take it personal...but when a track does that on big stake days...and here we've even got an employee touting IT happen AGAIN....no thanks for my wagering dollar(s)...

no breathalyzer
08-04-2016, 09:06 PM
I like FOREVAMO

sammy the sage
08-04-2016, 09:24 PM
thanks for making my Sat. a bit easier...mean that sincerely...don't take it personal...but when a track does that on big stake days...and here we've even got an employee touting IT happen AGAIN....no thanks for my wagering dollar(s)...

I need to clarify...for MM's sake...he wrote MIGHT be a dead rail...not that it will be....still...no way am I devoting time to it...

mountainman
08-04-2016, 09:45 PM
I need to clarify...for MM's sake...he wrote MIGHT be a dead rail...not that it will be....still...no way am I devoting time to it...

Thanks for the follow-up post, Sammy. Nobody can predict track-bias. But to not observe past trends persistent and strong would make me derelict in the duties Mnr pays me for.

At my dungeon desk preparing to dive into Saturday's epic card...can somebody confirm the Mo Tom scratch??? I had him in mind as a potential top pick. :confused:

olddaddy
08-04-2016, 10:14 PM
Very nice card but Im not crazy about the wagering menu.

mountainvalleypete
08-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the follow-up post, Sammy. Nobody can predict track-bias. But to not observe past trends persistent and strong would make me derelict in the duties Mnr pays me for.

At my dungeon desk preparing to dive into Saturday's epic card...can somebody confirm the Mo Tom scratch??? I had him in mind as a potential top pick. :confused:

https://twitter.com/TomAmossRacing/status/761188746159087616

mountainman
08-04-2016, 10:39 PM
https://twitter.com/TomAmossRacing/status/761188746159087616

TX, much. Tom and I are well aquainted, and he was honest enough to never give me a full commitment during my efforts to recruit the horse.

Much respect and good luck to him.

mountainman
08-04-2016, 11:10 PM
TX, much. Tom and I are well aquainted, and he was honest enough to never give me a full commitment during my efforts to recruit the horse.

Much respect and good luck to him.

*ACQUAINTED...

cj
08-04-2016, 11:40 PM
In as of the 1st, out by the 4th. Tough game.

mountainman
08-04-2016, 11:49 PM

But it's hard to tell when they are REALLY in. Incontrovertibly, and (barring unforseen injury) for keeps. Who knows what's up with a horse behind the scenes? Some outfits will pay to take a look-see.

I can disclose they made travel plans and booked reservations. So they had all intent of running here. Cool owners, too. And we will miss the horse.

After decades of recruiting for stakes races, my instincts are finely tuned, and I sometimes get odd vibes about some horse's condition. And it's hard to disregard that when I'm handicapping.

mountainman
08-04-2016, 11:50 PM

Help me out with something, dude: just how fast WERE the splits on Cupid's win??

Zaf
08-04-2016, 11:58 PM
But it's hard to tell when they are REALLY in. Incontrovertibly, and (barring unforseen injury) for keeps. Who knows what's up with a horse behind the scenes? Some outfits will pay to take a look-see.

I can disclose they made travel plans and booked reservations. So they had all intent of running here. Cool owners, too. And we will miss the horse.

After decades of recruiting for stakes races, my instincts are finely tuned, and I sometimes get odd vibes about some horse's condition. And it's hard to disregard that when I'm handicapping.

last activity for Mo Tom:
14 July '16 SAR 4F :50.20B 30/43

cj
08-05-2016, 12:00 AM

Yeah, I just meant that per Twitter he said the horse was training specifically for the WVa Derby. Then, shortly after, says all is well with the horse but plans have changed. Who really knows? I don't concern myself with it much until the day of the race. I know you aren't in that position and you did a great job on the card.

cj
08-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Help me out with something, dude: just how fast WERE the splits on Cupid's win??

Here is his whole career...figures are those of the leader/winner.

mountainman
08-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Hearing now that Mo Tom NOT officially out.

mountainman
08-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Here is his whole career...figures are those of the leader/winner.

Unfamiliar with your numbers...can you give me perspective on your scale?? Tx, so much...

Robert Fischer
08-05-2016, 02:55 AM
also interested in CJ's pace scale

was a decent pace and he was widest 1st turn

then he entered the stretch on the left lead, and ran through the wire that way.

If he could run a fundamentally sound race, he has grade 1 talent

cj
08-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Unfamiliar with your numbers...can you give me perspective on your scale?? Tx, so much...

Same as Timeform (UK)...

Older male G1 par around 128. If you want to think in terms of Beyer, just subtracting 20 will put you in the ballpark. We highlight extreme fractions with color...red for extremely fast and blue for extremely slow. You can see both in Cupid's PPs.

These designations are based on the final time figure, not any pars or anything like that.

PhantomOnTour
08-05-2016, 12:26 PM
DRF reporting that Economic Model is out also

mountainman
08-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Same as Timeform (UK)...

Older male G1 par around 128. If you want to think in terms of Beyer, just subtracting 20 will put you in the ballpark. We highlight extreme fractions with color...red for extremely fast and blue for extremely slow. You can see both in Cupid's PPs.

These designations are based on the final time figure, not any pars or anything like that.

tx, very much

Secondbest
08-05-2016, 10:48 PM
I like FOREVAMO
So do I.Box with the 4 Pinson and the chalk cupid.
If odds are right win on both.

Zaf
08-05-2016, 10:49 PM
So Economic Model and Mo Tom are confirmed scratches ?

Z

mountainman
08-05-2016, 11:27 PM
For what it's worth, I had the Mountain Main uniform on four of last week's five cards. As a natural corollary, speeds performed ok.

In fact, early speed went 4 of 6 in last week's dirt routes, with a second place finish, to boot. The one pacesetter who folded was 50-1.

As a further tidbit to help assess certain- favorite Cupid in tomorrow's Derby...late scratches DO give the rail-post extra wiggle-room, since our starter customarily moves the inside horse to (at least) the two stall when affored the option in our 12-stall gate.

Consequently, the rank, slow(ish) breaking Cupid actually will have MORE room from his inner draw than he might enjoy from a sandwiched post.

After the starting field is confirmed tomorrow, I'll find out from our starter what post Cupid will break from, and post the info here if time allows.

Zaf
08-05-2016, 11:41 PM
OK thanks, gonna be a fun day playing Saratoga and Mountaineer tomorrow :) :jump:

Z

JohnGalt1
08-06-2016, 07:41 AM
I play Mountaineer 1-3 times a year, because I can't deal with horses off lay offs with out recent works, so I can some confidence the horse is racing fit.

And on a normal MNR card, there are too many of those to deal with.

I always play Derby day because the shipping trainers show workouts and I can assume the horses are in form and they want to win.

Since every race is a stakes race, I figured every horse would have a recent race or a series of workouts.

This is a list of horses off layoffs without posted workouts.

Race one---the 1,3 and 4 show no recent workouts (within14 days)

Race 2---1, 2, 3, and 8.

Race 4---1, 2, 4, and 7

Tom
08-06-2016, 10:08 AM
I picked up a DRF for Saturday, thought I'd go down to the lake, have some burgers and handicap the races.

I opened it up, and Surprise! NO Mnr PPs.
They have Suf, a track that unleashed the plow horse for two days a year, and the Meadowlands! Not even HORSE RACING.

Does anyone at DRF have clue about anything?
What total losers. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

bbixler18
08-06-2016, 11:07 AM
:3: Mo Tom is out but that's the only I'm seeing right now.

mountainman
08-06-2016, 11:20 AM
2-stall for Cupid. Our starter called around and was told the horse isn't that bad in gate..will require no special handling. numbers 7 and 9 not on grounds..

cj
08-06-2016, 11:25 AM
2-stall for Cupid. Our starter called around and was told the horse isn't that bad in gate..will require no special handling. numbers 7 and 9 not on grounds..

He is fine going in the gate. It is coming out of it that has been an issue.

mountainman
08-06-2016, 11:26 AM
He is fine going in the gate. It is coming out of it that has been an issue.

Often related. Decent behavior somewhat diminishes issue moving forward--at least for me, sir.

mountainman
08-06-2016, 11:36 AM
#7 reportedly WILL run...50-1 ML

Lemon Drop Husker
08-06-2016, 11:37 AM
I picked up a DRF for Saturday, thought I'd go down to the lake, have some burgers and handicap the races.

I opened it up, and Surprise! NO Mnr PPs.
They have Suf, a track that unleashed the plow horse for two days a year, and the Meadowlands! Not even HORSE RACING.

Does anyone at DRF have clue about anything?
What total losers. :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

:lol:

Sorry Tom, but that is pretty damn funny.

Robert Fischer
08-06-2016, 01:16 PM

Thank you.

Valuable info for the horseplayer. :ThmbUp:

olddaddy
08-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I dont play there but I assume all the money comes late there?

lamboguy
08-06-2016, 03:15 PM
this is a great card and there has been less than $40,000 per race in the win pool so far through 4 races. if it was my decision and probably great that it isn't i would have run this great program at night.

Tom
08-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes, night time. :ThmbUp:
That is the home of Mnr racing.

cj
08-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Prairie Meadows did the same thing for their "big" day, don't understand it at all.

Nice race at Albuquerque tonight!

Lemon Drop Husker
08-06-2016, 03:42 PM
this is a great card and there has been less than $40,000 per race in the win pool so far through 4 races. if it was my decision and probably great that it isn't i would have run this great program at night.

Nice card, but going head to head with Saratoga is tough.

Robert Fischer
08-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Like I said, my gut is telling me that Cupid is going to have a breakthrough performance. Put it all together, win by 7 lengths etc...

my gut has been awful this 3yo season

if Cupid goes down in flames, I think we will see a total pace-collapse

so you would have :12::11::8::6::7: in that case

the 12 suddenbreakingnews is actually taking early money with Cupid, so the huge score factor may not be there.

I like Suddenbreakingnews but I don't LOVE him.

:8: Adventist would be my key in such a collapse scenario. Big time finisher.

:11: Forevamo isn't quite as sharp as Adventist, but he's a good 'collapse scenario' value

:12: is tough.

Maybe I'll put a light longshot ticket with 8/11

Tom
08-06-2016, 04:59 PM
And the Hambletonian, every year.
At least move it a week either way. Might get a Whitney filler to come down.

I'm going with :2: No Distortion / :12: :4: :8:

Good racing so far.

Robert Fischer
08-06-2016, 05:22 PM
50c super 8, 11 / 8, 11 / 5, 6, 7 / 5, 6, 7 $6.00

Tee
08-06-2016, 05:23 PM
:8: Adventist should be in the right place to take advantage of a hot pace - if it should develop.

Big question is can he put forth the effort to get the job done. If not he might be passed late by the two outside closers.

That wasn't worth the time to look at the past performances.

Tom
08-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Looks like a Big Mac supper tonight. :bang:

Robert Fischer
08-06-2016, 05:27 PM
Cupid put it all together. Could be a factor in the division.

Tough to know how to judge the race with Bejarano riding as if the rail paths were 'quicksand' :D

cj
08-06-2016, 05:28 PM
The track was a complete joke today.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-06-2016, 05:33 PM
Cupid put it all together. Could be a factor in the division.

Tough to know how to judge the race with Bejarano riding as if the rail paths were 'quicksand' :D

Wanted to show everybody Cupid could "get" 10F. :D

When the :2: and/or :4: were no factor early, it became a romp even racing 5 to 6 wide the entire race.

This 3YO division is just a tad bit confusing right now.

cj
08-06-2016, 05:35 PM
You guys realize he was out there on purpose, right? The inside was in fact quicksand.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-06-2016, 05:37 PM
You guys realize he was out there on purpose, right? The inside was in fact quicksand.

No CJ, I'm dumb as *$#(., and didn't realize that Bejarano ran Cupid 5 to 6 wide around the entire track for craps and giggles.

Robert Fischer
08-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Got to give Bejarano credit.

We bitch and moan about jockeys failing to adjust, and he did it (arguably a bit extreme)

Maybe he'd be a good jock in some of the NYRA turf walking-races

cj
08-06-2016, 05:51 PM
No CJ, I'm dumb as *$#(., and didn't realize that Bejarano ran Cupid 5 to 6 wide around the entire track for craps and giggles.

With the shit you give me I'm entitled to ask.

tanner12oz
08-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Good race. Guess the rail was dead

no breathalyzer
08-06-2016, 10:44 PM
:lol: thought every wise guy knows rail is dead at the mountain the majority of times

EMD4ME
08-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Got to give Bejarano credit.

We bitch and moan about jockeys failing to adjust, and he did it (arguably a bit extreme)

Maybe he'd be a good jock in some of the NYRA turf walking-races

Give him credit? Shit, I'm willing to marry him for seeing that ride.

It is so nice, so refreshing to see 1 pin head have a BRAIN!

Did you (Not you Robert but everyone) see how many pinheads were near the inside??????????

I love Berry's call: Bejarano obviously did his homework!

Do NYRA jocks have any clue what a track bias is? :bang:

no breathalyzer
08-06-2016, 10:58 PM
Bejarano is boss i really love the way he rides.. i can't state it enough

arw629
08-06-2016, 11:12 PM
I wonder if the Mountaineer riders will start taking speed horses wide like Bejarano did with the rail being so dead this summer?

mikekk
08-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Did you (Not you Robert but everyone) see how many pinheads were near the inside??????????

Not sure of your point here. Just watched the replay, and the horse most prominently "inside" (and he was far from being on the rail) was the 5. Who did end up second, at 74-1. I'm sure the track was biased, but it sure looks to me that anything that had a chance was ridden by a jockey well aware of that!

v j stauffer
08-07-2016, 03:33 AM

I also thought Peter's mention of Bejarano and homework was excellent. Great add in the the Mountain's most important race of the year. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
08-07-2016, 06:07 AM
I also thought Peter's mention of Bejarano and homework was excellent. Great add in the the Mountain's most important race of the year. :ThmbUp:
if you listen to Peter on a daily basis you will find that he gives great descriptive calls for all the races now matter what type of a race it is. i love when he says the horse has put the cue in the rack. down the lane he also tells you the horses that don't switch their leads. you can actually take notes on what Peter says during a race. Tony Calo also does an excellent job.

just to call a spade a spade, this past year Peter called harness racing at Buffalo. he was ok, but nothing like his thoroughbred calls. i suspect that he is brushing up right now on his harness and he will shine there too once he comes back to Buffalo.

biggestal99
08-07-2016, 07:22 AM
Had lots of fun playing mountaineer yesterday.

Played against notto doro and adventist and won.

Good card.

Allan

tanner12oz
08-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Peter is a very good caller. Incredibly funny very dead pan sense of humor.

JohnGalt1
08-07-2016, 10:47 AM
As I mentioned in my earlier post, I enjoy MNR's best day, but only made on win bet and one pick 3 because I don't deal with lay off horses w/o work outs.

I bet the 4th race--- the 3 at 8-1 and the 6 at 5-2 both to win and played the final pick 3--all/Cupid/1,5,1.

it's frustrating to handicap a full card of stakes races and only find horses in two races I could trust were racing fit.

I find a few more bets on Derby, Preakness, Belmont days, since even the horses off layoffs show workouts. I think that's why I like claiming races where horses run every 3-4 weeks and form is easier to gage.

At least I made a profit with my two bets.