PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Wednesday, August 3

Teach
08-03-2016, 07:40 AM
Good morning. I was going through withdrawal symptoms, yesterday. I must say it dawned beautifully here in Eastern Massachusetts; the air mass has changed. Open the windows. I'm handicapping today's card based on residual moisture on the racetrack. Below, I've handicapped Race Two (not that skilled to offer my opinions on "The Jumpers"). I'll provide my thoughts on the rest of the card later in the morning.

Race Two:

:5: Smart Alex hasn’t raced in a month of Sundays. Yet, I have to assume that if there’s residual moisture from recent rains; this filly should benefit. This 4 year-old chestnut has a solid wet-track pedigree. Her sire, Smarty Jones, says Gone West. On the dam’s side, there’s both Northern Dancer and Danzig. Further, she’s “hit the board” in her two sloppy-track sprints. The turn-back to a sprint should help. Her jockey, Ricardo Santana, Jr., is having a solid meet; her trainer, John Terranova II, does well with horses going from maiden-specials to maiden-claiming. This filly, for the first time, drops into “the selling ranks”. Terranova does well with horses who are in for a “tag” for the first time. My only concerns are both the lengthy layoff and the mediocre morning work-tab. In a nutshell: If ready. Others: :8: , :3: , :1a: (If there’s a scratch, possibly :2: ).

Teach
08-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Race Three:

:4: Hot Dudette gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in what I see as a highly-contested claiming sprint. First, Irad Ortiz, Jr. (recent 1,000th career win. Congratulations!) in the irons. Second, this Distorted Humor-bred chestnut filly has competed at this level or better in her seven lifetime starts. Third, this filly’s breeding, e.g., Distorted Humor, Dixie Union, indicates that she should enjoy any moisture on the racetrack. Yet, it should also be stated that the most capable conditioner, Gary Gullo, is off to a slow start at the Saratoga meet. However, it should also be stated that Gullo is most capable of conditioning the winner, here. Trainer Gullo does well in both the: 1st after a claim and sprint categories. This filly should benefit from the slight cut-back. This filly has been in sharp form; she’s won once and finished second three times in her most recent races. Her morning work-tab has been mixed, the most recent morning-work was mediocre. Others :7: , :2: , :6:

Teach
08-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Race 3:

I'm substituting the :5: for the :7: (scratched).

upthecreek
08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
The #4 Hot Dudette was a toss for me--she couldn't get the job done against $25000 NL3 I'm going with #3 Stones of Navorone Steady workout pattern,layoff should be no problem as she won 1st out and just won this same condition by 7 @ Aqu

Teach
08-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Race Four:

:1: Alabama Bound is my choice in this MSW state-bred turf route. Jockey Luis Saez is quite adept at winging away (speed, loose on the lead, is dangerous, esp. in a turf route with the lawn rated as good) and playing catch-me-if-you-can. Tom Bush trains this Gone West-bred bay filly who has two seconds in four tries on the lawn. Saratoga’s own, Parting Glass Racing, are the owners. This is the filly’s third start after a layoff. She’s narrowly missed getting her picture taken in her last two turf races, at this distance. Is the third time a charm? A note of caution: trainer Bush does not do particularly well in MSW races. Yet… Others: :7: , :8: , :9:

Teach
08-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Race Five:

Longshot Special (at least I believe). N2L turf sprint, 40k claimer, My pick: :2: Pineridge Forest. Luis Saez (two in a row?) has his feet in the stirrups. Should be out and blazing for the lead on the break. Saez is a good gate jockey. Again, catch me if you can. Slight cut-back off last, a plus. Trainer Jeremiah Englehart is having a solid meet. He does particularly well with horses that have been on the shelf. Sharp recent work. I suppose my only major concern is that this Tiznow-bred gelding has been on the bench since Hallow-evening. He must break alertly and then Saez needs to ration out this gelding’s speed. Others: :12: , :8: , :6:

Teach
08-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Race Six: :11: , :12: , :6: , :7:

Race Seven: :6: , :9: , :7: , :2:

Race Eight: :3: , :4: , :8: , :7:

Race Nine: :10: , :9: , :8: , :1:

Race Ten: :13: , :10: . :8: , :6:

upthecreek
08-03-2016, 12:48 PM
The #4 Hot Dudette was a toss for me--she couldn't get the job done against $25000 NL3 I'm going with #3 Stones of Navorone Steady workout pattern,layoff should be no problem as she won 1st out and just won this same condition by 7 @ Aqu
The #3 is a scratch

upthecreek
08-03-2016, 02:21 PM
Right idea,,wrong execution I didn't like the #4 but ended up on the #2 :ThmbDown: